Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tron: Legacy Megathread [** SPOILERS FROM POST 153 ONWARDS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Lemegeton wrote: »
    Disney may have released the original and provided the cash but the idea, concept, and story/screenplay all came from Steven Lisberger. Tron Legacy was Disneys idea and they hired the usual hollywood hack writers.

and to answer the other comments
    yes if a human can be digitized into a computer world then the reverse is not that huge a leap but as a central plot point leading an army of computer programs into the real world to take it over is just stupid IMO.
    and as for the eating and drinking i dont accept that its because they evolved or that they did it to emulate the creator. thats just guess work and implanting your own theories to rationalize what was probably yet again bull**** writing from hollywood.
    Do you not remember
    the programs drinking the blue digital water in the original TRON while they were on the run from the Rectifiers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm opening this thread up to spoilers from this post onward. No need to use spoiler tags anymore. If you haven't seen the film and don't want to get spoiled then DON'T READ ANY FURTHER. THERE WILL BE SPOILERS. You've been warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Lemegeton wrote: »
    yes if a human can be digitized into a computer world then the reverse is not that huge a leap but as a central plot point leading an army of computer programs into the real world to take it over is just stupid IMO.
    and as for the eating and drinking i dont accept that its because they evolved or that they did it to emulate the creator. thats just guess work and implanting your own theories to rationalize what was probably yet again bull**** writing from hollywood.

I'm sorry, but you need to have a better explanation than just arbitrarily drawing lines in what you will accept in this film. It is never explained what happens to the matter that makes up someone when they are brought into the computer world (or vice versa) so there is no immediate reason that an army couldn't come out.
    As for the food, well KerranJast already mentioned the fact that there was drinking in the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Saw it and loved it in the cinema but it's all down to the spectacle. It's one of those films that won't translate to home television, leaving anyone who watches it on DVD or Blu-Ray to wonder what the fuss was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

went to see this again today, this time in 2D.

far better the second time around and i found the 2D version to be crisper and more vibrant than the 3d viewing .

dont know why, maybe the glasses really do dull down the picture that much but i found it a far more enjoyable expericence visually, knowing what to expect now probably helps too.

theres actually quite a bit more heart in this film than i gave it credit for first time around.

i think that might be down to me paying more attention to the visuals than the tone.

but still holds up as an enjoyable way to waste an afternoon if youve nothing else to do

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Decent for the first 45 mins, then it couldnt finish fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Saw this tonight and absolutely loved it! Great fun and decent performances all round. The soundtrack was absolutely superb too, and Daft Punk's "cameo" in the club was really clever I thought. Hated the ending though, and Olivia Wilde's character annoyed me. (The blonde girl was way hotter imo)
    I don't know why they had to shoehorn a stupd love story into the film at all.

I believe that some films are enjoyable in a "shut your brain off" kind of way, overthink it and you'll ruin it! Both Tron films are just pure fun, no thought necessary.

By the by, what happened to Tron at the end? Did I miss something or did he just sink? I thought that was a bit crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I think you can answer a lot of the techy issues the same way Star Wars explained light speed and Avatar explained the avatar transfer process - they didn't.

Science Fantasy.

It would have slowed down the story unnecessarily and tbh they didn't care as the science wasn't one of the primary foci of the story so you just take those elements at face value.

When you explain things in science fiction, you'd better know what you're talking about as you're effectively inviting people to pick holes in it (Star Trek for instance). Sometimes it's more effective to skip certain explanations and belt on with the show.

I thought it was a very good call in this instance. It would have been difficult to come up with something credible and would have done more harm to the story and pacing than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

this is not a movie. this is Daft punk's concert :pac:

a good watch. but defo not for the non-scifi movie lovers. i enjoyed it :)

seriously, Daft Punk ROCKSSSS!!!!i bet i couldnt sit through the second half of the movie without the music.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Saw it and loved it in the cinema but it's all down to the spectacle. It's one of those films that won't translate to home television, leaving anyone who watches it on DVD or Blu-Ray to wonder what the fuss was about.

Jaysus, that bad, eh?

Anyway I'm waiting for both to be released on Blu-Ray before watching them.

What aspect ratio is Tron Legacy in? The trailer is in 16:9 (i.e. there'd be no black bars top and bottom when watching at home) so wondering if the film is also?

pulled from IMDB
    "Aspect ratio
    1.44 : 1 (IMAX 3-D version)
    1.85 : 1 (3-D version)
    2.35 : 1"

WTF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

different stock give different ratio.

16:9 though is the native of DVD and most films are adjusted to match it. HDTV though is 16:9 native.

1.85:1 is american flat ratio and can be used for 35mm and other formats, though the actually ratio of the frame is much bigger a 1.85:1 mask is marked on the viewfinder for the cameraman marking what they will have in the final piece and what is coming into frame. (shot on it myself today and the camera jammed with 10 feet left in the mag)

I assume 1.44:1 is for Imax which I havnt worked with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Watched it the other night in HD,wasn't expecting much after all the reviews but didn't think it was too bad.The majority of the story seemed to have been ripped off from the Matrix movies-watch it again and you'll see what I mean.
    The FX were mostly top notch except a couple of times Bridges younger version looked a bit 'Polar Express'.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Just finished this film. I enjoyed it, although the plot and characters were a bit iffy (my brain couldn't help making comparisons -- even if these films came after the first tron)

The film looks goregous and has a great art style, something very "Tron"....in HD and especially the IMAX bits. I thought the score was fantastic, I got it months before seeing the film, which is an extremely rare occurance for me.

Anyway, my Q is - if you saw the movie in the cinema, what parts were in 3D? All of the parts in the Tron world? Just the IMAX parts? Did the 3D look as good as AVATAR?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Anyway, my Q is - if you saw the movie in the cinema, what parts were in 3D? All of the parts in the Tron world? Just the IMAX parts? Did the 3D look as good as AVATAR?
    In the cinema I honestly didn't notice any 3D in the film at all. But as I've said before, I'm not sure if that was just me or the film. I have weaker vision in my left eye so it's possible I don't get the full 3D experience. However, I've heard others say the same. The 3D is Avatar was far better, although I wasn't exactly blown away by that either.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched this the other day at last. It could have been better (michael sheen was wasted and sam wasn't really a great character) but I definitley enjoyed it and Jeff Bridges and the soundtrack were great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

jaykhunter wrote: »

Pretty much as you've described. Everything in the tron world was 3D (at least i think) and nothing in the outside world was 3D. I didn't put the glasses on till it entered tron world as there was no need.
    Also, 3D was nowhere near as good as avatar imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Did anyone else think CGI Bridges looked like Val Kilmer when he was a bit younger?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Basq wrote: »
    Did anyone else think CGI Bridges looked like Val Kilmer when he was a bit younger?

Big time... actually I remember thinking that 'CGI Bridges' was how real-life Bridges probably wished he looked when he was younger :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Also, 3D was nowhere near as good as avatar imo.
    Totally agree, to be honest the "so called" 3D in Tron Legacy for me was a big let down.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Basq wrote: »
    I think it was the trademark Kilmer-permasmirk

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Its almost 10 years now since Legacy came out.

I think its a modern classic it doesn't get the credit it deserves.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Big Gerry wrote: »
    Its almost 10 years now since Legacy came out.

I think its a modern classic it doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Honestly, the only thing about it I remember in detail is the soundtrack, which I think is great. The film itself was almost aggressively mediocre for me. Nothing wrong, exactly, but not a lot particularly right either.

What do you think makes it a modern classic?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Fysh wrote: »
    Honestly, the only thing about it I remember in detail is the soundtrack, which I think is great. The film itself was almost aggressively mediocre for me. Nothing wrong, exactly, but not a lot particularly right either.

What do you think makes it a modern classic?

+1

I was hugely disappointed with it. Even the lightcycle sequence was just too short. The soundtrack however gets a regular airing, as does the reconfigured version.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Can barely remember the film other than the soundtrack. When watching the film, I remember thinking, "Wow, this music really sounds like Daft Punk." About five seconds later, Daft Punk appeared on screen. Great music.

I actually really enjoyed the animated "Tron: Uprising". Some great animation there and a better storyline than this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭micks_address

Watched last week again on Disney plus. I really like it..awesome soundtrack and good story. Would have been great to see a sequel but doesn't look likely at this stage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Modern Classic? Naw. It looks gorgeous, and its soundtrack is boss but that's it. The plot & story was not all that great at all. Though it'd be interesting to rewatch, against the last 10 years of blockbuster storytelling (or lack thereof). Maybe time has been kind to it...

pixelburp wrote: »
    Modern Classic? Naw. It looks gorgeous, and its soundtrack is boss but that's it. The plot & story was not all that great at all. Though it'd be interesting to rewatch, against the last 10 years of blockbuster storytelling (or lack thereof). Maybe time has been kind to it...

It is a modern classic just for visuals and the audio alone.

Its in the same league as 2001.

• Advertisement

I watched Tron Legacy for the first time in 3D the other day.

I think it looks worse in 3D because you lose all the colour and image is mostly flat.

Does anyone know if TL was actually shot in 3D ?

It looks like a bad 3D conversion.

T2 3D looks way better than TL in terms of 3D and that film was never meant to be in 3D.

Advertisement