Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DJ

Options
  • 26-07-2008 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

..................OK....I know I shouldn't.

Last night I was doing a gig with the cunning stunts and when we finished a DJ started. The guy proceeded to ...mix...for two hours. To be fair he didnt just stick on tunes like sweet child o mine or Dont stop believing but this was even worse.

He Was mixing in beats and samples and different tunes and apparently this guy is the bees knees. He must have been pulling himself around the DJ box. Complete and utter wankery with no talent and the guy had the worst attitude. I have no idea what his name was I should have found out. The sound was so awful and the filters/fx were just terrible.

I have to say if this guy is even mediocre in Djing circles, I have definitely made up my mind.

Nevermind the fact that it was a birthday party, he was presumably hired to play the hits and he proceeded to give his organ a workout!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

sei046 wrote: »

Last night I was doing a gig with the cunning stunts and when we finished a DJ started. The guy proceeded to ...mix...for two hours. To be fair he didnt just stick on tunes like sweet child o mine or Dont stop believing but this was even worse.

He Was mixing in beats and samples and different tunes and apparently this guy is the bees knees. He must have been pulling himself around the DJ box. Complete and utter wankery with no talent and the guy had the worst attitude. I have no idea what his name was I should have found out. The sound was so awful and the filters/fx were just terrible.

I have to say if this guy is even mediocre in Djing circles, I have definitely made up my mind.

Nevermind the fact that it was a birthday party, he was presumably hired to play the hits and he proceeded to give his organ a workout!

Well my friend is a DJ and he does some nice gigs but he is not a musician, he knows it too. He makes tracks on ableton but its all beats and samples, no melody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Its not even that Dav. I dont mind the whole musician thing in this case. Its just it was pure awful. The things going nowhere with just repition and cheap tricks.

A real eye opener I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Its not even that Dav. I dont mind the whole musician thing in this case. Its just it was pure awful. The things going nowhere with just repition and cheap tricks.

The gap between a really pro DJ and a chancer is huge these days!!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

So what did you establish from seeing this bad DJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

what an absolutely silly perspective to take on things. i think the clue was in the fact that he was playing a birthday party.
    you're gonna make up your mind on seeing a dj at a birthday party?

Not only is that highly ignorant, it's downright stupid.

I saw a covers band play a wedding once. They were rubbish. I am going to make my mind up about everything to do with rock music based on that.

Sei I really don't think you should talk about this stuff on this forum as all you're doing is making yourself out to be someone completely clueless about a certain area of music.

You're genuinely coming across as a complete yokel who has never been exposed to dance music of any form (let alone bad dance music).

And you are breaking the charter rules. As it says no offensive remarks. And I for one am highly offended that someone would post something this inflammatory, this ignorant and this unbelievably unintelligent.

I sincerely hope you were either really drunk or really stoned when you posted this absolute illogical nonsense. Because if that is genuinely your train of thought in day to day life I worry for your safety.

• Advertisement

An eye opener to what exactly? And if you're going to give about dance music being repetitive (oh the hilarity), at least spell the word correctly.

Actually you can apply your logic to music in general.

I once heard an awful musician
    So I've made up my mind about music.

Did you hit your head lately by any chance? Because the argument you put forward is of someone who is clearly not thinking straight.

shouldn't what? shouldn't show everybody how entirely clueless and ignorant you are about a whole world of music.

You're right you know.
    You shouldn't.

btw, i've seen a good few rubbish untalented dj's in my life. Mostly at weddings, birthdays etc.
    I mean these guys were complete muppets of the highest order (in fact most mobile dj's seem to be that type).
    But did I bother even criticising them?
    No. Because they're mobile dj's. They are what they are.
    In the same way as Kings of Leon are a world apart from Johnny and the ArseRockets (or whatever local wedding band you can think of).

But you see, and this is the important bit Sei, nobody's saying that to be a dj takes great skill and talent. We're saying to be a brilliant DJ it takes skill and talent.

In the same way that anyone can be a musician. But to be a good musician takes skill and talent.

Are you understanding this yet Sei? because honestly there's no easier way to explain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

I'm eagerly awaiting sei's respone after 4 rants from jsuited.

I do see where sei is coming from tho. Any skanger who buys decks thinks theyre mix master mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

[Drunk]
    I normally wouldn't say anything but this post just confuses me.

I don't understand how someone who understands music can flat out say that the whole concept of DJ'ing is effortless, skilless and some how anti-music. It is just blending different records on top of each other. Nothing else. Everything added is just whatever that person feels is "right". Be it effects or whatever samples. Which may be utter ****e but sure thats the nature of anything. There is no magic, it is what it is and if it takes you to see some guy that is supposedly "the bees knees" and you realise that you don't like it? Well thats your own problem, not everyone elses. Maybe he is the bees knees. Maybe he's utter tripe. Get over yourself. You don't determine what is good or not good when it comes to music.
    [/Drunk]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Stirring of the highes order. Fair play to you, it's not like you will get banned for it.

Would it not be more helpfull to start a thread like this in the AH forum where you can give out to your hearts content about anything. I'm presuming it would be better for this forum to be proactive with all forms of music/production and not alienate certain types.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

SEI046: ...hhhmmm.... It seems like like you're heavily alluding to something without actually coming out and saying it. If you think that DJ'ing is a crap unmusical skill then you're wrong. If you are telling us that this DJ was crap or not to your taste then I see no reason for the post. We've all seen good and bad films, books, musicians, teachers, meals and yes, even DJ's. Not exactly breaking news. So what exactly is your point here in a succinct nutshell?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

frobisher wrote: »
    SEI046: ...hhhmmm.... It seems like like you're heavily alluding to something without actually coming out and saying it. If you think that DJ'ing is a crap unmusical skill then you're wrong. If you are telling us that this DJ was crap or not to your taste then I see no reason for the post. We've all seen good and bad films, books, musicians, teachers, meals and yes, even DJ's. Not exactly breaking news. So what exactly is your point here in a succinct nutshell?

Indeedy, pray come forth with a point? :D

Or is the point you do gigs supporting Bad DJs?

judas101 wrote: »
    I'm eagerly awaiting sei's respone after 4 rants from jsuited.

I do see where sei is coming from tho. Any skanger who buys decks thinks theyre mix master mike.

yup. and any arsehole who buys a guitar thinks their hendrix. It's just that hearing a really bad dj is not as offensive to the general public as seeing really rubbish musicians. that's how rubbish dj's still get work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

its been a while since this sort of thing happened.i agree wholeheartedly with jtsuiteds point of view.
    kind of ridiculous thing to post but im sure he didnt think it through:)

My god! jtsuited has some serious issues with me!

Ok...my point was...... That was my first time hearing a DJ mix actually in person. It was the first time I was physically there to hear a Dj mix the way I am told is the proper way. I had heard this guy was top notch and it was very dissapointing.

Now tell me whats wrong with that?

Is there a problem with saying that?

Im not even going to start on some of the replys people made there as they are so nonsensical.

Listen, when someone makes a point here, discuss it, dont get all " MA! MA! LOOK WHAT HE SAID!! " and start balling.

Also keep the personal stuff to a minimum.

The "having made up my mind" was a throw away comment, I probably should have used a smiley. I dont understand how posting about an experience I had about something that was topical on this forum was needless??

If someone posted about how this guitar player was crap or whatever there wouldnt be anywhere near this backlash!

A few lads here just have a MASSIVE chip on their shoulder against a faceless lad on the internet....Right.

red dave wrote: »
    Stirring of the highes order. Fair play to you, it's not like you will get banned for it.

Listen, If there is one more comment about this bull**** I swear to god!

Its the stupidest comment you can make on a forum. I went over this a million times so not again.

Lads get so offended by my "attack on Djs" when i refer to the rubbish sound and fx and the fact that he was doing a 30th. All of which had NOTHING to do with other DJs.

If i get banned for this fair enough but Im willing to call it even for all the other personal remarks made on this thread.

" TOUGHEN UP AND GROW A PAIR OF BALLS LADS! ITS AN EXPERIENCE A LAD ON THE INTERNET HAD THAT YOU DONT EVEN KNOW! I hope you guys arent this defensive and closeminded in the real world. POOR BABYS! "

Im not even going to start on some of the replys people made there as they are so nonsensical.

Also keep the personal stuff to a minimum.

Ha! That'll teach ya! :pac:

May personal favourite bits of abuse have always been when you say something and you get it in the neck for something that the critic has thought you implied! Huh?

Seriously though , the "Chips on Shoulders" guys drag down the whole discussion format of the Board.

This sort of Mega Negative Rant style reaction on a relatively innocent post can only act as a deterent for some Newbie posts so we all suffer, even indirectly, from them.

The personal stuff needs to be dealt with firmly and unambiguously by Mods.

Ye but if I dealt with the personal stuff and tried to pull some people in on what they say then all hell will break loose and I will be hung.

I dont mind as long as I can also say uninformed things about them!

• Advertisement

Listen, If there is one more comment about this bull**** I swear to god!

Its the stupidest comment you can make on a forum. I went over this a million times so not again.

Lads get so offended by my "attack on Djs" when i refer to the rubbish sound and fx and the fact that he was doing a 30th. All of which had NOTHING to do with other DJs.

If i get banned for this fair enough but Im willing to call it even for all the other personal remarks made on this thread.

" TOUGHEN UP AND GROW A PAIR OF BALLS LADS! ITS AN EXPERIENCE A LAD ON THE INTERNET HAD THAT YOU DONT EVEN KNOW! I hope you guys arent this defensive and closeminded in the real world. POOR BABYS! "
    close minded!!!!,man thats a bit rich in fairness.
    you should have known better than to base your whole viewpoint on djing based on one weeding dj at a 30th birthday party.
    its actually pretty laughable that you call people who disagree with you closeminded.

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Ha! That'll teach ya! :pac:

May personal favourite bits of abuse have always been when you say something and you get it in the neck for something that the critic has thought you implied! Huh?

Seriously though , the "Chips on Shoulders" guys drag down the whole discussion format of the Board.

This sort of Mega Negative Rant style reaction on a relatively innocent post can only act as a deterent for some Newbie posts so we all suffer, even indirectly, from them.

The personal stuff needs to be dealt with firmly and unambiguously by Mods.
    if im honest,im a newb and i think that stuff like this being discussed in this manner is great.people are honest and say how they feel rather than going with the flow
    definitely not a turn off in my book.

My god you changed your tune quick there! within one post?

I was sharing my first live experience with a dj mixing. I was referring to how bad every facet of it was. How within 15 minutes everyone had left for the front bar and the DJ wouldnt compromise with his employer.

It was a discussion on a side of music. Please......Please....

Ye but if I dealt with the personal stuff and tried to pull some people in on what they say then all hell will break loose and I will be hung.

Mods are the only ones who can keep this place civil - Civility is important.

In the last 6 months there are more knowledgable posters giving good advice to both Newbies and more experienced posters. I have had good advice this morning already re Amp Sims.

This will all dry up very quickly if the tone turns into playground shouting.

Anyone should be allowed to make a post just as yours and not feel they'll be abused - the piss extracted by all means, but not being hit by toys being thrown out of prams.

My god you changed your tune quick there! within one post?

I was sharing my first live experience with a dj mixing. I was referring to how bad every facet of it was. How within 15 minutes everyone had left for the front bar and the DJ wouldnt compromise with his employer.

It was a discussion on a side of music. Please......Please....
    well no i didnt really,your giving out about the backlash and paul is claiming that discussions that get heated are reasons that newbs stay away.yes you were sharing your first(which baffles me that you havent been exposed to it by now)experience but people were arguing with you because it was in there opinion complete **** talk about something you clearly dont understand.you honestly think you were going to post that and not get those comments back.
    as for open discussion,well this is what were at.just coz its a bit more heated doesnt make it any less of a discussion.
    but im not going to be the guy that turns the topic because i really want to see how you wiggle your way out of this one or at least what crazy claims you can come up with next:D

Definitely lots of toys been thrown out of a lot of prams!

Note to self, dont share negative experiences......actually....any experiences, just in case!

What the hell.........

I hate all DJs. There I said it.....I hate their music, the way they look, the people they hang around with and most of all their music.

I think its a silly hobby and shouldnt be taken seriously. I have clearly being tiptoeing around this in my earlier posts. I may as well come out and say if its not rock its pure rubbish and there we go!

Everyone here who is into DJing is a newbie and it should not be involved in this forum. Leave it to the Djing forum where they can all be together and talk about .......mixing.

There we go!

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Mods are the only ones who can keep this place civil - Civility is important.

In the last 6 months there are more knowledgable posters giving good advice to both Newbies and more experienced posters. I have had good advice this morning already re Amp Sims.

This will all dry up very quickly if the tone turns into playground shouting.

Anyone should be allowed to make a post just as yours and not feel they'll be abused - the piss extracted by all means, but not being hit by toys being thrown out of prams.
    so if anyone is allowed make a point then why are people who make counterpoints called people with chips on there shoulder.
    sei statements were in my opinion ridiculous and alot of people agree.
    i genuinely think that if people are talking out there arse about a particular matter they should be called for it,lord knows its happened me enough times.
    and could someone point me to the personal attacks please.
    to quote sei"toughen up and grow a pair of balls"

seannash wrote: »
    so if anyone is allowed make a point then why are people who make counterpoints called people with chips on there shoulder.
    sei statements were in my opinion ridiculous and alot of people agree.
    i genuinely think that if people are talking out there arse about a particular matter they should be called for it,lord knows its happened me enough times.
    "

Sean, I agree with you, in general.

In a civilised society one should be allowed to express (nearly!) any idea. Similarly one should expect critisism in a public forum.

What one should NOT expect is pointless off topic abuse.

This is unnecessary and unsavoury.

As well you know I've pulled up many a poster and have been pulled up myself - this is good positive stuff overall and makes the Forum more useful for it. Being Rude does not.

Shout and Roaring is just bad loutish behaviour we should all rally against -

Perhaps we ought open a 'Shouting+Roaring' Forum?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

ooh shcandal how did I miss this thread...I love a bit of argy bargy :D:D

Most DJ's are rubbish, basking in the glory of their own self importance and enormous egos. Unfortunately however, the same could be said of most muso's.

Bottom line = a person is smart, but people are dumb.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement