Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taxi driver

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

marti101 wrote: »
    I was told by a very nice taxi man they have to go your way even if its longer.As your the one paying for the service.
    CORRECT:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

It just annoys me that you live there so you obviously know the quickest way.We got a nice taximan couple of weeks ago we were going south annes st,i didnt know where it was but the taxi driver dropped us right the end of grafton st and said wed be quicker getting out and walking as its all a one way system up that way.He even told us which turn to take walking up grafton st.He got a nice tip for being honest and helpful.Plus some of these new places that pop up i wouldnt know half of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

I was out for a few drinks with my Da and his Da a couple of weeks ago and when we were leaving it was raining out so I said I'd head out to the road and hail a cab.
    Got one fairly quickly so was happy enough. Got in and rang my Dads mobile to tell him to come on out. He didn't answer as he was talking to someone.
    Anyway the taxi driver turns to me and says 'Sure do you just want to run in and get them?' I said 'yeah, I will, thanks'

Came back less than a minute later and the boll!x was gone!!

Couldn't believe it. Left there with me Grandad who's 78 for another 5 mins waiting in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Probably wasn't sure how long you'd be and as it was raining he very likely was quickly snapped up by another punter.

Moral.

You should have sat in the car with the meter on till your Da came out or answered the phone and made your Da pay the waiting time....:D

I wouldn't have hung around for long myself and I'm a realy nice taxi driver..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Probably wasn't sure how long you'd be and as it was raining he very likely was quickly snapped up by another punter.

Moral.

You should have sat in the car with the meter on till your Da came out or answered the phone and made your Da pay the waiting time....:D
    No be fair he didnt know the taxi driver was going to go anyway it was the taxi that told him to get them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Exactly. Though it was really bad form myself.

marti101 wrote: »
    No be fair he didnt know the taxi driver was going to go anyway it was the taxi that told him to get them..

But also to be fair, someones version of a minute can vary from yours, I've had people booked to be picked up and go to the airport for say 6 am, we try and turn up 5 mins early but when you get told at 6am "we'll just be a minute" and 10 mins later you're still sitting there!! and even though I am entitled to put the meter on at 6 I seldom do just because people moan "we said we were only going to be a minute!, why has it cost more than the last taxi we had?"
    On a similar note, while Q'ing on a rank, I've had people get in the taxi, wait for a few minutes, get out to try and find their mate, then not come back. Worse thing about it though is that if your in a Q and all the taxis behind you are off and away with customers and you're still sat there like a lemon, not knowing.

People do need to remember , especialy now with so much competition on the street, that time is literaly money to a taxi driver..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I am entitled to put the meter on at 6 I seldom do just because people moan .

Re putting the meter on, had a taxi booked but he could not find the house,the driver had the meter running while looking for the house, can he do this?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Re putting the meter on, had a taxi booked but he could not find the house,the driver had the meter running while looking for the house, can he do this?

If you think about it, it's the same as having your meter on while looking for a fare on the street, totaly illegal so no because he hadn't presented himself for the start of the journey, just a chancer and you should report him to the radio company he works for and the TR.

from the TRs site FAQ
    When does the hire start for a pre-booking?
    When the driver presents himself to the customer at the agreed time.

What defines waiting time?
    For a pre-booked journey, waiting time starts when the driver has presented himself to the customer at the agreed time and ends when the journey commences.
    Waiting time also covers any requested stops by the passenger during the journey (e.g. to pick up additional passengers).
    The driver is entitled to leave the meter running in the above cases.

http://www.taxireg.ie/consumer/consumer-FAQs/consumer-FAQs.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭musicfan

I remember a couple of years ago getting a taxi in Westmoreland St to go to Pearse Station (it was late, dark and I was on my own!), He didn;t know where the train station was and ended up going a very long way around, I kept having to say Pearse Street train Station on Westland Row and he kept driving saying he didn't know where it was. What kind of a taxi driver doesn't know where the main train stations are???????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

musicfan wrote: »
    I remember a couple of years ago getting a taxi in Westmoreland St to go to Pearse Station (it was late, dark and I was on my own!), He didn;t know where the train station was and ended up going a very long way around, I kept having to say Pearse Street train Station on Westland Row and he kept driving saying he didn't know where it was. What kind of a taxi driver doesn't know where the main train stations are???????????
    believe you me theres loads out there that hav,nt a clue .
    thats why the genuine drivers are calling on the regulator to take action now and upgrade the psv test from the sham that is .and so be it if every driver has to resit the test .i would,nt mind ,as long as someone is,nt making money out of it :mad:

Advertisement