Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bodyboarders in Ireland?

Options
  • 25-07-2008 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Heya I've been back at surfing for about 6 months (after a long 10 year break) and haven't seen many bodyboarders around, maybe just once...
    Are there any?! Maybe due to the fact that i've yet to travel to the best spots on the west coast (Lahinch etc ) and I might stumble upon more...

And apparently there are some nutcases bodyboarders surfing Aileens...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV4dFn-1EMQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I've only ever seen the one guy myself. On Tullan Strand that was.

Other than that its just kids with the standard holiday bodyboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Hey Wimmy,
    I have been bodyboarding since April 07.At the moment only beach brakes.I travel when I can,but go to Garretstown the most.There are rarely other bodyboarders when I'm out,probably have better spots to go too.
    If you ever come to Cork give me a shout!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭wimmy

Hey Wideangle I'm not too far from you (west cork) and go surfing every day conditions permitting, of course... S'been a while now as it was pretty ****ty last week, hopefully we'll have better conditions. Drop me a line if you're travelling wesht!

Nice on Wimmy,will do.Glad too here there are other's out there,and not too far either.Maybe there's hope for me yet!!lolLearning tricks and stuff!!

Heading to Garretstown today,29.7, meant to be 4foot and tide out till after three.
    Tomorrow looks better but off today work tomorrow.....even if it's not great will get a swim in!!

• Advertisement

Yeah will be trying out Castlefreke and Inchy tonight after work; Meant to be better tomorrow though. But it ll be messy lots of low pressures coming this week swell and winds all over the place directions wise.

It looked better that it worked...Tide was almost fully in at 1pm when I arrived,still caught a few over the two hours in the water.Heavy shower's and forgot hood!!!Still a fair few out,and a family of eight bodyboarder's??
    Off Sunday and it's looking good,will head further west if you are about!!

How was freake,never went in there,me self.

Family of 8 bb? As in daddy mummy + kids ?? :D

Forecast is looking very good for Sunday, and tide is good too.
    Castlefreke is a really really good spot and can be quite big.
    Waves just peak and make for perfect lefts and rights if you
    take off at the right spot.
    It works at growing tide but changes into Shorebreak when tide is in
    as sand bank is steep the closer it gets to the dunes.

Gimme a ring if you come down on Sunday, will pm it to ya.

wimmy wrote: »
    Family of 8 bb? As in daddy mummy + kids ?? :D
    Ya it's safer,espcially when tide is well in at Garretstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bbking

Hey Wimmy, been bb'n over a year now after a long break,i surf west coast mainly reef breaks in clare and kerry, and 1 or 2 in cork?????? not that much in cork tho evan tho i live 10 mins from rocky bay lol,sick of beach breaks der no fun. never really see many bb anywhere,loa few in clare,and the usual summer beach goers. met a french bb last monday in inchydonny. been lookin for bbers in cork ders not many of us lol

• Advertisement

A french BB... mmmmhhhh... That must be me then! :D
    Let me see... Were you the one taking pictures by the rocks?
    Should exchange phone nb for next autumn sessions. Should be
    going more to Lahinch and West coast in next few months.

Hey Wimmy,just back from Achill Island,had 3 days in the waves there on the bodyboard.Thursday last the waves were nice and clean with good height on them.Keel was the spot a few more bodyboarders around there aswell.
    Make sure to go there on you go west trip's!!

A french BB... mmmmhhhh... That must be me then! :D
    Let me see... Were you the one taking pictures by the rocks?

Hey Fabreece,Yea that was me,was a good day,really picked up after, and i got to carve over a surfers head:cool:,cant wait for the autum sessions man,been so bored all summer,looking forward to proper surf,we'll defo have to hook up,i can show you the cork reef breaks,they only work with certain swell and period directions,but they are there,garresttown has a mental wegde on the left beach,bit of a paddle but man what a laugh.see pic!
    Did you get to go to clare last week?

Hey wideangle,ders a vid on youtube of a bb gettin destroyed:( at aileens,taken monday week ago.der mental! be cool tho

bbking wrote: »
    Hey wideangle,ders a vid on youtube of a bb gettin destroyed:( at aileens,taken monday week ago.der mental! be cool tho
    Any link searched but did'nt come up:rolleyes:

Hey wideangle,cant watch youtube vids at work its 1 of the 3 vids anyway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sQ5mbuoKKw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqrAusN7I18&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eJ_cwbhJwU

Here's another link http://www.dreamcatcherproductions.ie/film1.html it'll send shivvers down your back and make you proud to live in a country with 1 of the most beatuitiful breaks in the world!!!
    How did you get on in achill island? fun???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭amber1

Lads...I'm just starting out and have a fairly ****e standard body board...need some flippers apparently. Got a wetsuit etc and looking to buy a second hand surfboard, 7 or 8 footer. Any suggestions? I live in Waterford but am in Kinsale pretty often. None of my female mates want to surf so if anyone fancies any surf company then give me a shout....

Hey amber, flipppers are needed alright to help catch waves,ask in your local surf shop if they em.if not the net is your best shot,they'll cost from ?30 to ?80,and if you plan on sponging in the winter you'll need to buy fins a size bigger to allow for socks, (alternative to surfin boot)
    as for a starter board if you dont weigh too much a 7ft mini mal starter board is perfect.
    I live only afew miles from kinsale,surf g-town a bit,send us a pm when headin out, im always up for a surf:)

Hey Amber,

Great to see the Bodyboard Team growing ;)
    We are now 4! Yeah... (BBKing-Wideangle and us two)
    We should all meet for a session!!
    Give me a shout if you're ever coming to Inchydoney/Castlefreke
    I'm usually surfing there but for the moment it's been really flat...
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭amber1

Hey Amber,

Hey flats good for me!! I'm real bad at the moment...gotta learn somehow I guess!!! Was thinking of getting some lessons in Tramore as that's nearest to home for me but if any of you guys are willing to babysit me I have accomodation in Kinsale!!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

Hey Amber,

what's the break like in general?
    I moved down to Cork and I'm looking for a new spot, people say south coast cant compare with my old hunting ground of spanish point lahinch etc !!
    :confused:
    :cool:

• Advertisement

what's the break like in general?
    Hey Johanny, not many good breaks down here bro:(im guessin you didn.t move here for the surf:rolleyes:,ders about 4 or 5 reefs for bodyboarding but your always waiting for a south southwest swell to push up on coast its rare to get it,i surf kerry and clare 80% of the time,you cant compare the quality of surf on the west coast,der is surf on the south coast but its for surfers not bodyboarders.
    Longstrand castlefreak works very well when its on,mid low tide to low tide,nice high wedges.
    Inchadoony can be good at high tide but alot of rips and white wash,your usual beach break,handy in storms because it still work on a westerly wind. the far left side of the beach is great, the rivermouth,peeling long lefthander.
    Garresttown has a lovely secret reef that works when a storm push's in the middle of the left beach, about the same paddle out as crab island but just as worth it not for beginners.
    Rocky bay is my local beach,has some really fun wedges in the winter and the reef works there at high tide,breaks at all tides tho.
    Fennals bay is the closest to clare you'll get. works very very well in big storms when everywhere else is blown out.needs a big swell tho great reef break when its on.
    Inch reef (not the one in kerry) is a good break too.
    hope this helps man.
    If you'v any more questions man id be happy to help out????:D
    Reg Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

cheers thats a big help
    actually i know this is a bodyboarding thread, but im actually surfing myself, a 6'6 shortboard to be precise
    theres no webcams or surf reports for any beaches around cork or kerry, (riving distance from cork) by any chance?
    lahinch has a handy surf report updated every day as you probably know, just wondering if there are any of those yokes floatin around the web !!
    :cool:
    thanks for advice in any case !
    :D

Always glad to help johnny,stick to castlefrak and the rivermouth,there about the strongest breaks down here,your 6.6 will be wasted tho bro:) tubes.ie has a cam in inchadoony,use internet exploirer to wiew it,(thats if its working)
    (riving distance from cork) by any chance?
    takes me 2 hours average to get to mossies in brandon bay from cork,its so worth it tho,,3 hrs 3 1/2 hours to lahinch. most cork breaks are all close tho to clonakilty. no bother about not being a bodyboarder,we wont hold it against you:D:D:D
    :pac:.................:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

new to this boards thingy. so any spongers in and around the northwest that would like to hook up for a sponge and maybe show me a thing or two. been back on the sponge over a year now and looking to up my game a little. also to lazy to go out on my own!!was also thinking bout setting up a facebook page for irish spongers. any thoughts on this?
    frag

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mags345

Wow gr8 to c all the interest in bodyboarding! i"ve seen a few in Ballybunion in Kerry, its usually a very quiet beach but its pickin up for the watersports. Lukin gud for saturday in kerry so will be about there myself!

frag420 wrote: »
    was also thinking bout setting up a facebook page for irish spongers. any thoughts on this?
    frag

Hey Frag,been wanting to do the same myself,there isn't that many of us but were a growing community,be well good id say,drop me a line man if you wanna set something up:D:D:D

:pac:................:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bbkee

Are there any bodyboarders in west cork? i haven't lived here long and have been to long strand mainly but haven't seen any yet. it would be nice to know some in the area. kee (ballydehob)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Is bodyboarding hard to get the hang of?
    I can make my way around on a longboard at the moment, but was thinking of getting one soon?
    Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

if you can master a longboard then you should have no issues on a bodyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

any idea what I would pay for a bodyboard that's not completely rubbish, but not top of the line either...?

Advertisement