Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sceptic agenda

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

iamhunted wrote: »
    or are you sure it isnt because they can try and 'look down' on those they believe to be stupid or deluded?

No, though that does seem to be a charge some people use here to actually avoid dealing with what is put forward to them.

Skeptic - There is no theory of what <insert paranormal phenomena> actually is. At the moment there is some inital fuzzy observations and a lot of assertions and conjecture about what supernatural element might cause it. You don't have a testable model of what you think it is so how can one go to the next step and say that it is such and such?

Some people - Oh so you think everyone who is interested in the paranormal are stupid and deluded do ya!!

Skeptic - Er, what? I never said that! We are discussing <insert specific example here>

Some people - OH SO YOU THINK MY MOTHER IS A WHORE DO YOU!

Skeptic - Er ... what are you talking about?

Some people - WHAT DID YOU SAY ABOUT MY SISTER!!

Skeptic - Groan ... do you want to actually answer the question.

As I mentioned to wicknight, you cant say they dont use scientific methods as you've never went on an investigation with them.

You assume a lot from a website.

Ok ... they do use scientific methodology and then lie about it and mislead on their website

Which is worse? :rolleyes:

There's that classic we're closed minded thing again.

Tell me, why is it closed minded to not accept something till there is some good solid evidence? I don't get it.

"I try to keep an open mind, but not so open that my brains fall out."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Skeptic_Desu

Wicknight wrote: »
    "I try to keep an open mind, but not so open that my brains fall out."
    I think I can sum up our position in song.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=RFO6ZhUW38w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

i think ye's are doning a fine job.

Cant wait til wicknight can prove his theory of people lying - and he can tell from reading their website ...wow ... must be psychic or something.

Tell me, why is it closed minded to not accept something till there is some good solid evidence? I don't get it.

thats exactly what closed mined is. You accept nothing until have the definitive proof for it (yet you accept the brain and the mind are one which hasnt been proved - confusing)
    Well if I had a website called www.imnotaracist.com, and on it I said:

"I hate blacks. That is all."

...then it would be safe to say that my website name is a bit misleading.

dave you dont fancy actually using a reference that makes sense? are you saying the paranormal research association of ireland have a website that says they dont research the paranormal? wtf are you talking about sir and where are you getting this info? unless of course you are being completely closed minded and biased and assume you know what the group actually does when you dont? I was going to dissect wicknights post about how the skeptics reckon they so much smarter than the rest of us but your post outlines that quite nicely so I dont need to bother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭anonymousman

I believe theres a fine line between hating people who are scammers (Sylvia Browne) and people who fall for these scammers. There are a million reasons why people may believe psychics but only a few decietful, bad reasons why someone may pretend to be a psychic.

Horroscopes/astrology is plain stupid. If you are interested in finding out about yourself try investing your time and money in the Enneagram or Myers Briggs or other geniune personality studies. These personality studies may have started as general observations of people by non psychologists but the now have psychological backing and are far more realistic and interesting than astrology. Astrology is a weird scam, how on earth can stars and planets determine your future and/or personality? And yes I read up on it and I still think its stupid. Mars is over my house tonight therefore I will be angry tonight? Scam. Same goes for Scientology, hate it. Scientology + Astrology = Hatology.

Aliens I think is a fair interest. A lot of scams appear here but there is nothing wrong with thinking the "truth is out there". Billions and billions of planets!

CONSPIRACY THEORIES are my #1 hate. Conspiracy theorists are skeptical people themselves and skeptics are skeptical of those skeptics! 9/11 conspiracy is downright stupid, offensive and the ones behind it are overbearing and big hypocrites. Hate. 9/11. Conpsiracy. Theories.

Afterlife/ghosts/religion is too complicated and I'm still figuring that out for myself.

Oh and I believe that Parnormal/Conspiracy theorists have an open mind but skeptics have the opendest mind (made up word) and the people who fall in the middle category need to be protected from BOTH overhateful skeptics and overbearing paranormalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

Back to the initial question... I think massochism must play a big part, you have to genuinely enjoy banging your head off a table in despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

thats exactly what closed mined is. You accept nothing until have the definitive proof for it
    No it isn't. It means "having a mind firmly unreceptive to new ideas or arguments". Or in otherwords a closed minded person would be someone who flat out refuses to see sense when they are presented with evidence, continually misses the point and is so fallacious in their arguments I've given up pointing out the flaws in their logic. I'm sure there's one or two around here...
    (yet you accept the brain and the mind are one which hasnt been proved - confusing)
    Whooooooshhhhhhh (The sound of you missing the point by a country mile).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭anonymousman

Oh didn't see the purpose of thread. My agenda is not to be scammed out of money, and from a young age could never see sense in psychics, tarot cards, ASTROLOGY, 9/11 conspiracies, scientology but as I grew up I came to learn not the hate the players (the gullibles) but to hate the game!

thats exactly what closed mined is. You accept nothing until have the definitive proof for it (yet you accept the brain and the mind are one which hasnt been proved - confusing)

Again with the "definitive proof" nonsense ... are you listening to anything anyone is saying? :confused:

Science does not provide proof (definitive or otherwise) of anything.

It provides models who's accuracy at representing a phenomena can be tested. The more accurate at matching observation and prediction a model is demonstrated to be, the more inclined "close minded skeptics" such as myself are to consider the model as an accurate representation of what is happening in the phenomena. That is how one learns what a phenomena actually is

This is how one learns about the world in a scientific, structured, fashion. Nothing is ever proven.

• Advertisement

There is quite a difference between definitive proof and good solid evidence.

I have no definitive proof of the Greek gods, am I closed minded for not believing in them?
    I have no definitive proof of the Flying Spagetthi Monster, am I closed minded for not believing in him?
    I have no definitive proof of the Invisible Pink Unicorn, am I closed minded for not believing in him?

CONSPIRACY THEORIES are my #1 hate. Conspiracy theorists are skeptical people themselves and skeptics are skeptical of those skeptics! 9/11 conspiracy is downright stupid, offensive and the ones behind it are overbearing and big hypocrites. Hate. 9/11. Conpsiracy. Theories.
    Seriously stay out of the Conspiracy Theory section your head shall explode in a flurry of logical fallacy.
    Oh and I believe that Parnormal/Conspiracy theorists have an open mind but skeptics have the opendest mind (made up word) and the people who fall in the middle category need to be protected from BOTH overhateful skeptics and overbearing paranormalists.
    Here, Here. I argee completely. However some innocent believers jump into the argument and into the line of fire, thus come under the impression their believes are under attack.

??? wrote: »
    Back to the initial question... I think massochism must play a big part, you have to genuinely enjoy banging your head off a table in despair.
    Was it the Christians or Buddhists who said enlightenment comes from suffering?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I think conspiracy theorists couldn't be further from skeptics. If they were really skeptics they wouldn't believe the utter nonsense they come out with. I think they are cynics who are so bored with their lives they have to invent real-life drama to occupy themselves.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

??? wrote: »
    Yay! We do have common ground after all.
    Wicknight wrote:
    Can't speak for everyone, but wouldn't the reason "skeptics" come to this forum to discuss things be the same as the reason "believers" do, because it is interesting?

I mean, why does anyone discuss anything?
    Thats the whole reason boards is here, and to prevent us doing any work. The reason I asked I suppose was to find out if people are here to debunk the paranormal, to find out more about it, or as ??? says, from pure masochism.

I have no problem with debate, argument, minor flame wars even, as long as people arent making cheap shots based on common negative assumptions. Science is fine, and hey, thanks guys, Ive learned loads from all of this. But why cheapen that with cliche?

I just wanted to find out whether people are here for geniune reasons, or simply to laugh up their sleeves at the silly woo woo people.

Oryx wrote: »
    I just wanted to find out whether people are here for geniune reasons, or simply to laugh up their sleeves at the silly woo woo people.

Well i haven't been on this sub-forum (the skeptics corner) too long, but the brief encounters I've had it seems to be the "silly woo woo people" (for want of a better classification) who are doing all the actual insulting.

I would be careful not to confuse someone saying something like "nope, that is nonsense" with someone genuinely insulting someone

Wicknight wrote: »
    Well i haven't been on this sub-forum (the skeptics corner) too long, but the brief encounters I've had it seems to be the "silly woo woo people" (for want of a better classification) who are doing all the actual insulting.

I would be careful not to confuse someone saying something like "nope, that is nonsense" with someone genuinely insulting someone
    I hope I havent been offensive. When I get irked I try to go away and do something real rather than blow steam here. :)

Ive been here years :). And there are many many examples here of the kind of derogatory comment Im talking about, and to be fair, its usually noobs to the forum that post them. But not always.
    Nolanger wrote:
    Maybe they are just rational and intelligent people who hate seeing gullible others being fooled?
    I know this comment is not insulting to one particular poster, but it is an example of the tone I see here all the time. A sweeping pooh poohing of the whole area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Will someone who believes in the paranormal explain to me why all psychic spoonbenders use metal spoons?
    Surely is would be easier to bend plastic spoons with their mind? Or would they just just snap in two once any physical force is secretly applied?

Nolanger wrote: »
    Will someone who believes in the paranormal explain to me why all psychic spoonbenders use metal spoons?
    Surely is would be easier to bend plastic spoons with their mind? Or would they just just snap in two once any physical force is secretly applied?
    Aw, you edited your post. Did you feel it was too inflammatory?:)

A belief in elements of the paranormal does not mean a belief in ALL aspects of the paranormal, so I havent a clue about spoonbending, but if I could control metal to the degree claimed I think Id find something a bit more constructive to do with it than ruin my cutlery.

I'm sure any good psychic could tell you what I originally wrote in the above post.

• Advertisement

I'm sure any good psychic could tell you what I originally wrote in the above post.
    I didnt have to. I read it.

Anyway I can't read your mind. You're not dead.

Reading dead people's minds is more pathetic than spoonbening.
    Post reported.

Was that psychically reported or did you use a computer?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Nolanger banned for personal abuse. I would hope that we can have robust debates on the forum here without resorting to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I resisted the urge to post in the actual thread, but for those (sceptics) looking for a giggle/to be absolutely speechless, check out this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055348505

There's some crazy stuff about hearing dead babies' screams whilst giving birth... protecting yourself by visualising yourself in a protective bubble... and lots of that ilk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

is spoonbending paranormal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

is spoonbending paranormal?
    Bending spoons without using physical force but using the mind alone? I would have thought so.

It is one of those things you don't tend to hear about on paranormal forums much because it has been fairly well debunked at this stage. It is quite easy to fake and when measures to prevent cheating are taken, the effect seems to disappear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Miacc

Standman wrote: »
    I'm not really a regular here, but I just have an itch that when I hear someone make a claim on something that is unlikely then I would want to see evidence for it. I mean it's just common sense in my opinion. If there were real proof that there exists some kind of paranormal world, I would love to study it and find out more. Imagine, it would be amazing! A whole new unexplored and mysterious world to look into. This is why I would be skeptical and look for evidence of paranormal claims.

Also I have a big problem with mediums and phsychics, as even though most of the time they may be just some harmless fun, from personal experience I know that they sometimes act very irresponsibly, and to be blunt it makes me very angry.

What Sandman has said is really spot on. other post too. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

I always get the sense on here that those who purport to be sceptics/skeptics seem to present themselves as belonging to some elite league of intellectually superior... people. And anyone outside of this league :rolleyes: who pipes up and says they believe in something that doesn't fit in snuggly with their own rigidly orthodox mindset is an apparent idiot. I can be sceptical just as much as the next. Like, if one of my mates walked up to me and told me they saw miniature green men in tutus dancing the can-can on the side of a lamp post, my first response would be a firm 'f*ck off, yeah right'.

The merits of scepticism can be measured by the amount of it; too much scepticism closes the mind, too little of it creates a complete spacer, and a moderate amount of it contributes to a balanced appreciation of the mundane and the supernatural. For a person to trust in the existence of a fourth dimension, or anything that's part of it, they really need to have a first-hand, personal, unexplainable experience.

It's quite possible that paranormal activity , or the afterlife, might exist in the quantum sphere. No-one can say for certain yet, but it isn't a bad wager to make. There is this experience that is called the Experimenter Effect, which holds a theory that the experimenter might affect what happens, just by being present. It's said that nothing ever occurs in the presence of a sceptical experimenter. So that might be why determinedly sceptical folk venture out to supposedly very haunted locations, or otherwise, and jigger all happens. Now that probably sounds like a convenient cop-out but something fairly similar to this theory has been proven in quantum physics.

It has been proven (but no-one knows why yet) with this thing called the Two Slit Trick that atoms will behave in one way if a human is watching them and in a totally different way if they aren't. The scientists fired some atoms through a sheet that had two slits in it. They expected the atomic particles to act like sand and pile up in two equal-sized atom stacks behind each slit on the other side of the sheet. But that didn't happen. Each atom behaved in a way that suggested it had gone through both slits at the same time,but that is obviously impossible.

So they were wondering how they could figure that out and they installed a tiny camera that filmed the atoms in action (without them watching it live). But when they watched the footage afterwards,the atoms actually started to behave like grains of sand and piled up neatly on the other side of the slits in the sheet. Like they had expected. Now, when the scientists switched the camera off and repeated the test,it was as if the atoms didn't want to be seen acting mysteriously and just went back to looking like they were going through the two slits simultaneously.

How do you explain that (if youre a quantum physicist)?

Theres another thing called the String Theory which claims that everything in the universe is made out of tiny vibrating strings. I dont know too much of the specifics of this (Google it if u like),but if this theory is really correct (and many fine, scientific minds worldwide seem to stand by it),it means that there arent even just four dimensions, but ELEVEN.

I dunno. For any people who are sceptical through and through, I might even feel a little bit sorry for them,but I dont. The Pope himself was quoted a few months ago as saying,"I have no difficulty in accepting there are species on other planets", or something very similar to that. The man is no eejit (he wouldnt be The Pope if he was,like :rolleyes:) but even he has a belief in life occuring outside of the world as most people know it. And The Vatican dont employ a Chief Exorcist for the craic of it. Why would they bother their hole spending time,money and energy on enlisting some trained exorcist bloke to expel demons from people that apparently dont exist?

And for anyone who calls themselves an atheist or who doesnt believe theres any God (and the concept of God is as paranormal as all the rest of it), I DO feel sorry for them.

• Advertisement

It has been proven (but no-one knows why yet) with this thing called the Two Slit Trick that atoms will behave in one way if a human is watching them and in a totally different way if they aren't. The scientists fired some atoms through a sheet that had two slits in it. They expected the atomic particles to act like sand and pile up in two equal-sized atom stacks behind each slit on the other side of the sheet. But that didn't happen. Each atom behaved in a way that suggested it had gone through both slits at the same time,but that is obviously impossible.

So they were wondering how they could figure that out and they installed a tiny camera that filmed the atoms in action (without them watching it live). But when they watched the footage afterwards,the atoms actually started to behave like grains of sand and piled up neatly on the other side of the slits in the sheet. Like they had expected. Now, when the scientists switched the camera off and repeated the test,it was as if the atoms didn't want to be seen acting mysteriously and just went back to looking like they were going through the two slits simultaneously.

How do you explain that (if youre a quantum physicist)?
    Ok, trying very hard not to sound like a member of the elite league of intellectually superiors I will attempt to explain current understanding of quantum uncertainty.

You are correct that individual particles such as photons or electrons behave like that. It is known as quantum uncertainty. If a particle is not being "observed" (more on what that means in a minute) it does not exist at a single point.

The most important thing a person needs to take from that is that this is very weird. Very very very f00king weird. If anyone thinks this isn't weird they are not understanding it probably.

It is difficult to imagine but it exists everywhere and no where at the same time. All we have is the probability that it will exists at a particular point when we observe it. If the electron was travelling in a straight line and we know it existed at point A a microsecond ago the odds are high that when it is observed again it will exist at point B a little further a long that line. But it may not. Technically when observed it may exist on the other side of the universe, though the probability of this is very very low.

The slit experiment demonstrated this. When the test was run with millions of photons all fired towards the slits in a straight line photons started appear in places you wouldn't think they would. This is because if you play the odds and repeat the experiment a large amount of times the unlikely positions will start to happen simply due to statistics. You build up packets of photons (or electrons) in places you wouldn't think they should be, simply because over millions of firers of the photon gun even the unlikely low probability places eventually happen.

A >>>>>>>> B (99%)
    ``
    ``
    ``
    `` C (01%)

If you fire your photon gun at B 99% of the time the electron will be at B, but some of the time it will be at C. Repeat the experiment 100 times one of the times one of the photons will be weird and appear in position C even though you fired it at position B

Initially scientists believe that this was simply down to us missing something. An electron is only at one point at any given time, but we were missing something that is happening to it that makes it be where we don't expect it to be. A lot of scientists simply could not accept that at a fundamental level nature would be so different to how we observe it to be in every day life. As Einstein famously said "God does not play dice".

But eventually it has been demonstrated in experiments that this is actually what is happening in nature, not simply that the photon is actually in one place but we were lacking the ability to tell. The photon really does not exist anywhere until something causes it to be there, and where "there" is is determined by probability. Or to put it another way the photon exists everywhere until something causes it to be in one spot. One of the difficulties with this idea is that we have no frame of reference to describe it. Nothing we know from ordinary life works like this.

This realisation in the early 20s has lead to some even weirder and more far out discoveries about the universe that have called into question our common sense ideas of time and causality. For example it is pretty well accepted now that something can cause something to happen in the past.

But back to the point, what is some what relevant to this discussion here is the term "observation".

The photon exists in a state of quantum uncertainty until it is observed. But in terms of quantum physics "observed" does not mean a person looks at it. It means something, anything, interacts with it. You mentioned a camera. What it actually was was a photon detector which can detect photons passing through it. But equally it could be the wall it is fired at that eventually observes the photon and cause it to exist in one point.

The reason the universe does not seem to be one bit probability wave to us is that in our day to day lives all the matter around us is "observing" all the other matter around us, and thus collapsing the probability wave to single points.

So it wasn't when the scientists themselves were watching the experiment. The thing that eventually observed the photons was the photo sensitive piece of card that they hit.

206px-Double-slit_experiment_results_Tanamura_2.jpg

The bright bands are where the probability that a photon from the photon gun will hit is high, and dark bits where it is low. Repeat the experiment enough and you will find, as you would expect, that the possible locations for the individual photons to be are higher where the probability is higher.

TBH I don't really get when people say things like Oh you so called sceptics are so cynical, you don't believe anything weird is happening. I believe quantum uncertainty and non-locality and all the weird conclusions of that for time and space are accurate, and that stuff is far far weirder than anything that is discussed on the paranormal form :)

Advertisement