Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accomadation in carlow?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 chrissy_t

hey im starting aircraft systems in a week or two not sure but i still have no accomadation. i was thinking of either riverbank or student village. i dont like the sound of the restrictions in riverbank especially with the ports on the internet. anyone able to tell me what the student village is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

chrissy_t wrote: »
    hey im starting aircraft systems in a week or two not sure but i still have no accomadation. i was thinking of either riverbank or student village. i dont like the sound of the restrictions in riverbank especially with the ports on the internet. anyone able to tell me what the student village is like?

carraig amhain is it? or how ever its spelt? it's a good place to go if your a first year. you're 2 mins from the college and the entire group of houses is full of students. this means most of the fun happens in here in some shape or form. housemates can be completely random as far as i know (could be wrong, never stayed there) but the facilities appear pretty good in the houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

im goin to riverbank! ive heard good and bad things but it doesnt really bother me too much considerin its just the first year! Im doin avionics btw shud be fun :)

thanks guys. i spose ill just apply for both and see what happens. chances are i wont get one anyway :P. hey avenged sevenfold, avionics nice thats practically the same course as me. i hope its good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Don't worry about getting a place, Carraig Ambhainn (ugh. Red wasn't lying when he said how hard it is to spell that) didn't fill up till college started last year.
    Decent place too, sound proofing is pretty slim between upstairs and downstairs houses, but aside from that, they're decent enough places... insanely large bathrooms.
    You do get assigned random housemates, but I think Michelle is grand with you switching houses early on.

• Advertisement

chrissy_t wrote: »
    thanks guys. i spose ill just apply for both and see what happens. chances are i wont get one anyway :P. hey avenged sevenfold, avionics nice thats practically the same course as me. i hope its good
    Yeah i hope its good too! and the fact tht ppl say that loads drop out isnt too encouraging but ill make myself stick it if thts the case :)

well i rang about the riverside apartments and all the rooms are taken so im gonna try carraig ambhain (hope i spelt it right) and see if they have anything. alot of people drop out of the aviation courses? not a good sign at all. hopefull ill stick to it

aparently so yeah! i think its to do wit ppl thinkin its easy cause of the low points dunno tho

it sounds hard, but also pretty interesting especially the propulsion section

i just cant wait to do it tbh :)

• Advertisement

same, its just accomodation im struggling with

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭EnigmasWhisper

Its not difficult to find student accommodation in Carlow. Lots of appartments, self catering and digs to choose from. If your a first year sometimes digs are the best to go for, you get all the meals and usually have your own privacy and key etc. I offered digs myself for years myself but dont do it anymore. My mums friend does great digs if you are interested in going down that path, very near college and own privacy. If you want contatc details just private message me. Carlows a great spot by the way, good college also, you will enjoy your time there :)

ah its ok enigma i got accom sorted today thanks anyway tho

No worries, have a great year ! When does the college open by the way, sept 5 th ?

No worries, have a great year ! When does the college open by the way, sept 5 th ?

it does? i'm not down to start till the 15th :confused:

ah I see, i could be wrong about the 5th. Everyone is startying at different times anyways

I'm part of the Buddy Program, so I go around and greet first years and show em around and whatnot, and I've been told to be down for the 10th, so
    I can't imagine college starting before then.
    However, if you're looking for when the college opens, I'd reckon the start of Spetember or somesuch.

Sairus wrote: »
    I'm part of the Buddy Program, so I go around and greet first years and show em around and whatnot,

Best part of that is the speech they give you before you get your first years.

"Please, please please don't sleep with them. at least not for the first few weeks"

priceless :)

Ha! XD Yar, that got a giggle out of me last year all right! XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 TheScript

Hi,
    Just wondering is there anywhere specific where 1st yr. students should find accommodation-not digs. Ive read about southern gardens and college green being good locations, but is there anyone out there, that could recommend me a place to stay considering my situation.
    Im going to carlow on my own, and not knowing anybody,a bit of a change from Dublin i think, away from friends and family and all that lark!
    Cheers,
    Rory (im away til the 2nd btw)

• Advertisement

Since you're new to living with random other people you might want to try something smaller than a house (where you'll be thrown in with 5-7 people), ie an apartment (2-4).
    The Riverbank Apartments are grand, and Carraig Ambhainn student village is also good (and directly across the road from the college). I don't have any first hand experience with Riverbank, but Carraig was fine from what I saw.

hey. i have to be in college on the 8th and 9th for registration. first term for first years starts the 10th and then im pretty sure for everyone else it starts on the 15th. anyone know anything bout burrin street? im staying in a place called burrins house on burrins street. seems nice enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭RedXIII

First Year lived in Caraigh Abhainn (whatever...) was pretty cool. Everything is sorted so you don't have to worry about bills and everyone around seemed cool enough. Was not too strict with maybe two spot checks throughout the year. Hopefully they have an internet connection sorted by now though, was worse than dial-up. (2min from college)

Second Year lived in College Green was awesome. Houses were pretty big and fairly cheap. As I had made friends was perfect moving in with people I knew as well as many others around the estate. No spot checks on the house, was pretty good fun all in all. (10 min from college max)

Would recommend either to anyone, I believe Ray Maher was the letting agent for my house in particular.

Anything else I should have covered let me know.

EDIT

Lol just reading some of the posts, I never even saw Ray Maher that is weird. Maybe he started to call to the house last year but we never had any problems.

If at all possible I would strongly suggest getting any feedback on your landlords as I went to view 1/2 where there was some real weirdos. I don't know the "laws" on renting property but people really should have privacy/ notice on visits when paying quite a decent amount of money.

Man my grammar sux at 5am :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 James-Mc

That room still there?

That previous post was aimed at me, and alas, no, the room in 41 Southern Gardens has been taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 conormob

Anybody gonna be round 22 southern gardens or in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 miece

hey if anyone still needs accomodation give me a shout because me and a friend are getting a place but we need more people besause the rent is too high. we're looking into a house in southern gardens and around blackbog road. rent with 4-5 people would be as low as 50-60 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 flairy-fairy

im comin down from galway in sept and plannin a trip up next week wen im off work 2 find accommodation...do ye reckon i'll be leavin it 2 late 2 find sumwhere decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

im comin down from galway in sept and plannin a trip up next week wen im off work 2 find accommodation...do ye reckon i'll be leavin it 2 late 2 find sumwhere decent?

FYI for all students coming to Carlow this year.......

Please make sure you contact some prospective landlords/letting agents to see firstly if they are around when you plan to come down and also that the accommodation is still available.

You wouldn't believe the ammount of 1st years that come from across the country without checking before they leave. It's a bit scary!!

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Doriath

any first years heading into the riverbank apartments?

Advertisement