Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Investing - Is it time to jump back in ??? Check the figures !!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

€350k for that area is a no-brainer. At the same price as many typical 3 bed suburbs it doesn't matter if price drops more, in the log run you'll gain or someone else will if you don't.
    Was it a no-brainer at 450k? Will it be a no-brainer at 250k?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

€350k for that area is a no-brainer. At the same price as many typical 3 bed suburbs it doesn't matter if price drops more, in the log run you'll gain or someone else will if you don't.

No offence, but I find statements like this one funny.

One of the interesting side-effects of the property boom is that people have lost all concept of the value of money and/or it's the "fashionable" thing to speak of large sums of money in dismissive terms.

I'm not ashamed to say that to me, €350k is a huge amount of money. The difference between having to borrow €300k now or possibly only having to borrow €200-250k next year is also huge.

Like anyone else, I've no crystal ball, but I'm pretty sure of which direction property is NOT going in the next year or two. I genuinely don't see how anyone can talk about 'gains' in relation to buying property at the moment. By the time property turns around and starts looking like a healthy investment again, more than likely you could already have made a fortune investing your cash elsewhere.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

SkepticOne wrote: »
    This graph, if true, shows that there's also an even bigger backlog of sellers waiting for the market to improve.

I think this is one of the big unknowns of the market at the moment. The way I sees it, there are a lot of people who are considering selling but staying put in the hope that the market will return to its former height.

If there are 70k houses for sale at the moment (daftwatch figures), and a possible further 100k in new developments completed or nearly completed in the second half of 2006 and all of 2007/08 there could also be another large number of people who want to sell but since there are already 3/4 properties for sale on their street they are holding off.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

Anyone know how much these would be going for now...:

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2006/01/29/story11269.asp

Third paragraph give the prices then...they where all sold then but second phase should be released soon enough I guess.

Some interesting/differing opinions :

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=21104

Post number ten seems fairly accurate to me and that was over two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

^ Deserves its own thread imo

• Advertisement

BobbyD10 wrote: »
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=21104

Post number ten seems fairly accurate to me and that was over two years ago.
    Ah yes, that was back before AAM went berserk and started throwing out anyone who said that property might not keep going up forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Ah yes, that was back before AAM went berserk and started throwing out anyone who said that property might not keep going up forever.

BAN HIM!

whizzbang wrote: »
    BAN HIM!
    YARR ILL MAKE ME OWN WEBSITE WITH BLACKJACK AND HOOKERS!11! IN FACT SCREW THE WEBSITE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

As a result of advice from people on here, looking at the property pin, contacting the cso and talking to an estate agent I have decided not to go ahead with the purchase.

I will be looking for my €10,000 back from Gunne's on Wednesday and will be backing out of the deal.

!!!!!!!!! tough to pull out but I think it's the right choice ? ! ? ! ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Well- buying property, like anything else, is a gamble. The odds are stacked against you on this occasion- its likely there will be better options open to you down the road.

The one thing which does my head in is the notion of "dead money" which was used in psychological games for the last few years. Hopefully people will learn something from their experiences........ history tells us they probably won't........

• Advertisement
Advertisement