Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky HD Subscribers

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Do they let you keep the HD box though? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Rew wrote: »
    Do they let you keep the HD box though? :D

Yep! as long as you keep it longer than a month before cancelling the Hd sub, i'd say they would. The €150 you pay is for the box so after you pay that, it's yours technically.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭afatbollix

just ordered the hd box today... but dident get the movies or sports so i wouldent think it is... so if i cancel it before the first month is out i wont be charged???

that sounds like a plan anyway :)

anto-t wrote: »
    just ordered the hd box today... but dident get the movies or sports so i wouldent think it is... so if i cancel it before the first month is out i wont be charged???

that sounds like a plan anyway :)

If you cancel it in the first month you get your money back and you give the box back under the "cooling off period"

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Had Sky HD installed yesterday - picture on the football last night was stunning.

However, the Irish channels haven't appeared on the EPG yet and I can't record anything - do these take a while to become activated?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

RonanC wrote: »
    Had Sky HD installed yesterday - picture on the football last night was stunning.

However, the Irish channels haven't appeared on the EPG yet and I can't record anything - do these take a while to become activated?

Thanks.

give them (sky) a buzz and they will turn it on. should have been done though.
    only took 20 mins for mine to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

I have 2 HD boxes in the house.
    So yes i suppose you could say "im impressed, enough"
    Bit rates are crap , but footie in HD wins it for me.

Thanks.

The anytime tv can take upto 3 days to start functioning (it did with me) all the other stuff should be straight away more or less!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

John mac wrote: »
    anly took 20 mins for mine to work.

I've had a few installations over the years and every time the installer said it will come on in a few hours but it never did and I always ended up having to ring Sky to activate the functions, guess you will have to as well. Morning times often have a shorter wait than evening time.

John mac wrote: »
    only took 20 mins for mine to work.

Took 4 phone calls before I was finally told yesterday that no one had bothered to activate Sky Plus on the account. Live pause and rewind working fine now at least.

Have another problem though. Recording isn't working properly:

a) If I set something to record e.g. The Simpsons, while watching Sky News, the recording fails.
    b) If I watch the Simpsons while recording it, it records fine, but when I change the channel every other channel says "satellite signal not being received".
    c) Recording works fine when the box is off i.e. on standby.

For some reason, when it is trying to record Input 2 signal is 0 and "not locked", once I stop recording the signal is fine again.

Is it a software issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Have another problem though. Recording isn't working properly:

a) If I set something to record e.g. The Simpsons, while watching Sky News, the recording fails.
    b) If I watch the Simpsons while recording it, it records fine, but when I change the channel every other channel says "satellite signal not being received".
    c) Recording works fine when the box is off i.e. on standby.

For some reason, when it is trying to record Input 2 signal is 0 and "not locked", once I stop recording the signal is fine again.

Is it a software issue?
    I ran into similar problems, and I would bet its a software issue.

I had SkyHD installed on the 7th, the engineer doesnt have to ring Sky, there's an option in the Installer menu, and the box automatically dials-up Sky and the service is provisioned via modem. All the services I had subscribed to came up instantly, everything was working, including Sky+. The installer had said the HD channels can take a bit longer, up to 4 hours, but they were working straight away.

AnytimeTV wasnt working however, this was because the box was running an old version of the firmware, so I did a forced-download and that updated it to the current version in about 10 minutes.

I also noticed anomalies with recording, and if you flick fast enough through the channels, every odd one will give the no-signal message, I believe its a software issue. I found it amusing that although the cables for the dish are no longer than 3m, the signal quality and strength on the two inputs varies a bit and they are not identical. I also had issues with failed recordings and it would show no-signal on the second input, I swapped the input cables, and it made no difference. A reboot of the box fixed this however. I had other issues where a recording seemed to mess up, and any attempt I made to play it back, froze the box, forcing me to reboot it. I had to delete the recordings, but asside from that no-signal message that shows up when flicking quickly through channels, I havnt had a single problem with the unit since.

I've only got a 32" LCD, not only is it the biggest I could afford at the time, its also the biggest that will fit in my room on the desk I have it on. And dispite what others have said, I notice a big difference between the HD channels, and the SD channels, it's noticable, even on a 32" (I have it set to 1080i). I also have it connected by optical to a Surround sound system and it sounds fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭afatbollix

i got HD last week... even tho i only have a 32 inch tv it is stunning.. i just find myself on the bbc hd channel watching the preview...

but while watching sky one HD programs like the simpons are 4:3 but on sky one are wide screen... is this a **** up by the channel or should it be this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

The Simpson's is one of those programmes that is just upscaled to HD. I find the quality can get worse on those programmes, last time I watched the Simpson's on Sky One HD, it was all jagged. But Stargate Atlantis looks a lot better in HD, and the surround sound is just brillient. Im hoping Sky brings out a HD version of Sky Two, I'd like to see more of that kind of programming in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

givecredit wrote: »
    At Eur150 its cheap. Even including the monthly sub of €15 that works out at €330 for hd pvr.with 500gb drive. Cheaper then a upgraded sky+ box with 500gb drive.

Hd Channels, Well i subscribed to movies and sports for first year after getting HD. It was great. It makes the €15 more value for money. Currently ive downgraded to the 1 mix package with no hd sub. Luckily ive a Northern Ireland Sub so i get BBC HD and CH4 HD for free on the epg. In roi you can manually tune BBC hd to other channels, but cannot record. Im afraid no CH4 HD in ROI.

with the €15 hd sub you now get a pretty good range of HD channels including Eurosport HD, sKY One HD and many documentry channels.

Dont forget to hook it up to a surround sound amp for dolby digital sound as well!!

Price of €330 is based on cancelling HD Sub after 12 months

BTW, ill will probable resubscribe to Sports and Movies with HD in the Winter months.

By the way, i would consider it a waste of money if your TV is not 36inch or higher. Ordinary Definition is good enough with 32 inch or lower, with a good scart cable and rgb.
    I have a 32inch TV and the difference between HD and SD is huge.

I ran into similar problems, and I would bet its a software issue.

Thanks for that rogue, a reboot fixed the problem over the weekend. The card reader failed 20 mins into the Liverpool match yesterday though so Sky are sending me a new box anyway!

Advertisement