Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teh Log

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

J.D Salinger - Nine Stores - Very good stuff, though very short for the 15 smackeroos it cost. Had me hyucking and hawing only to have me solemn faced and bewildered moments later. Good show!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

I must say I really loved Nine Stories. May I ask which you liked best?

Well, "A perfect day for Bannafish" was one I had in mind whilst writing that. The dialogue and atmosphere in it I particularly enjoyed.

I also liked "De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period" it was something I am embarassingly well able to relate to. In fact, I think everyone is well able to relate to this sort of unfortunately uninhibited enthusiasm and naievity.

I thought "Just Before the War with the Eskimo's" was very good as well. The older brother character I think was very real. This person who talks to younger people in kind of a bitter fashion but still wants to be friends, and the way he initiated the conversation. He reminds me of Ackley from Catcher in the Rhy, and I like him too, and both of these fellows remind me of a few poeple I knew in my childhood who didn't have many friends and hung around with younger people.

"Pretty Mouth and My Green Eyes" I actually found rather repulsive. I'm not sure if this was one of the ones printed in the New Yorker, but I can imagine these business executives deriving a disgusting executive pleasure from how "in charge" the old man was, and how the younger fellow needed to ask him for help in everything. But perhaps this is an incorrect intepretation.

So yes it was a very good read, very short though. That story "Teddy" has filled me with a desire to search for connections between Platonism and ... whatever religion that was. I think they were all very good really. I am re-reading "Catcher In the Rye" now, and may well purchase "Franny and Zoey" on reccommendation from your log.

I think everyone should reccommend these "Nine Stories" as an introduction to J.D Salinger rather than the catcher.

J.D. Salinger - The Catcher in The Rye - That puts a stop on by J.D. Salinger binge. Salinger, like Tolstoy and Camus, understand that many people are ultimately driven in many ways by vanity. A good line is where he says "I could be a lawyer, and do those good things, but how would I know I was not doing it to be a hotshot". Tolstoy's father Sergius goes out and becomes a hermit, Sal himself was a hermit. Anyway, I liked that book, it was a re-read, because I wasn't very sober the first time and didn't remember it.

Advertisement