Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ugrade your PS3 harddrive

Options
  • 22-07-2008 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

The 320GB WESTERN DIGITAL - WD3200BEVT Notebook Drive 2.5" SATA 5400rpm is now 99ish euro delivered from elara.ie This is a good price for this drive and is a perfect upgrade for those looking for a bigger hard drive for the Playstation 3.

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1454155

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

:( I hate you.........now I want 1. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Tattoosnob

Great price, I've been keeping an eye on it, This week alone it was 130 euros then 98 euro, so at 90 plus del I pounced on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

how big is this drive?.. it doesnt seem to show that info anywhere but i'm guessing 320GB

Nevermind.. bit slow this morning clicked features nad there it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

well that's just what i need right now as my 40 Gig PS3 is down to around 4 Gigs of space left and my 60 Gig is not to far behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

That's a great price - it's 119 (+del.) on komplett. I've upgraded my PS3 with that drive and I'm very happy with it - it's nice and quiet. My only concern is that I'm filling it up at an alarming rate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Can anyone tell me if there is much involved in upgrading the drive on the PS3 and how does data from existing drive - such as OS etc - come across? Does the old drive need to be cloned to to the new one?

Any other gotchas?

Thanks
    Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Good price.

Bought 2 of these drives from this guy on eBay (for £102 stg)

One for my Laptop and the other for the PS3. Have not had a chance to install them though

Upgrading the HDD is meant to be easy on the PS3, and as far as I know it will not void your warranty. I think you also use a USB drive to copy all your saves and stuff over. Must look into that some more...

Just found [URL="http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=113480]this[/URL] looks like it goes through all the steps. And surprise surprise, there is a youtube clip on how to do it

Can anyone tell me if there is much involved in upgrading the drive on the PS3 and how does data from existing drive - such as OS etc - come across? Does the old drive need to be cloned to to the new one?

Any other gotchas?

Thanks
    Paddy
    Dammer wrote: »
    Good price.

Bought 2 of these drives from this guy on eBay (for £102 stg)

One for my Laptop and the other for the PS3. Have not had a chance to install them though

Upgrading the HDD is meant to be easy on the PS3, and as far as I know it will not void your warranty. I think you also use a USB drive to copy all your saves and stuff over. Must look into that some more...

Just found [URL="http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=113480]this[/URL] looks like it goes through all the steps. And surprise surprise, there is a youtube clip on how to do it

Hi Paddy,
    It's a piece of pi5s, just backup your original using the PS3 backup option on to a external harddrive, remove old drive and replace with new hard, restore backup and away you go....instructions all over the internet. Don't forget to buy a 2.5" Sata harddrive enclosure for the old 60GB/40GB drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

Anyone installed this in ps3? sounds like a deal to me

jones wrote: »
    Anyone installed this in ps3? sounds like a deal to me
    It's probably the most popular hard drive for people upgrading their PS3, perfect for HD movies and full DVD rips over 4GB. with external drives you're limited to files of less than 4GB which is fine for most media files.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just out of curiousity- if you upgrade a 60Gb PS3 with this- whats the story with backwards compatibility with PS2 games etc (I imagine its identical to the original software compatability- but would be grateful if someone could confirm this for me).

Cheers,

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭savemejebus

you'd still have backward compatibility. The 60gb backward compatibility is not fully software based as the machine still has some PS2 semiconductors in it. Just not the full emotion engine.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Just out of curiousity- if you upgrade a 60Gb PS3 with this- whats the story with backwards compatibility with PS2 games etc (I imagine its identical to the original software compatability- but would be grateful if someone could confirm this for me).

Cheers,

Shane
    No change to anything , just more storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Tattoosnob wrote: »
    It's probably the most popular hard drive for people upgrading their PS3, perfect for HD movies and full DVD rips over 4GB. with external drives you're limited to files of less than 4GB which is fine for most media files.

Am I correct in saying that there are 2 ways to copy DVDRips / HD movie AVIs to your PS3 HDD:
    a) by first putting them on a USB device which you plug into PS3, and then transfer to the HDD of the PS3
    b) by removing the HDD from the PS3 and putting it in a 2.5" enclusore which is connected to PC via eg. the USB interface, then copying data, and then transferring back to PS3?

Or is there some way to copy to PS3 HDD directly from the PC *without* removing the HDD from the PS3?

jAH

jArgHA wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying that there are 2 ways to copy DVDRips / HD movie AVIs to your PS3 HDD:
    a) by first putting them on a USB device which you plug into PS3, and then transfer to the HDD of the PS3
    b) by removing the HDD from the PS3 and putting it in a 2.5" enclusore which is connected to PC via eg. the USB interface, then copying data, and then transferring back to PS3?

Or is there some way to copy to PS3 HDD directly from the PC *without* removing the HDD from the PS3?

jAH

Hi,
    the
    bestway to copy files directly to your PS3 harddrive from your PC is to use Tveristy Media Server.
    When using a USB device i.e external hard drive, the drive has to be FAT32 formatted, which means that your files have to be less than 4GB. When your files are bigger than 4GB you have to use Tversity, that way you can copy over full DVDRips and HD files that are any size. It's a really handy little app.

You can't take the PS3 hard drive put it an enclosure and copy files to your PC as it uses a different format that only the PS3 uses.

Give Tversity a go, I don't really use it for streaming media but I do use it to copy files over all the time. Try using a wired ethernet connection because wireless is a bit slow compared to wired.
    Good Luck.

thanks for the tip Tattoosnob

I'll check out Tversity so

just ordered one of the hard drives and should have it in a couple of days :D .

now i have a good few dvd iso's on my pc and i also have Tveristy on the pc also , so it is just straight forward : copy iso to PS3 with Tveristy and the PS3 plays it straight off the drive ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Great offer. I have never heard of elara before. Are they an Irish company? It seems that you can collect an order directly from them in Parkwest Ind Est in Dublin for 1c "delivery", which is brilliant (if you live in Dublin). How are they for returns/customer service?

Clover wrote: »
    just ordered one of the hard drives and should have it in a couple of days :D .

now i have a good few dvd iso's on my pc and i also have Tveristy on the pc also , so it is just straight forward : copy iso to PS3 with Tveristy and the PS3 plays it straight off the drive ?.
    Sorry man, iso's won't play back on the PS3. I use DVD Shrink to make a single .VOB file, (size and quality is up to yourself) and copy that over, that's it really. Regarding your ISO files there might be a program that will let you access the original DVD files buried in the ISO but I'm not sure, would be interested to find out. Bear in mind this method is just the main movie not the extras, deleted scenes etc but who watches them.

Sorry man, iso's won't play back on the PS3. I use DVD Shrink to make a single .VOB file, (size and quality is up to yourself) and copy that over, that's it really.

thats ok i'll just use DVD Shrink to turn a few films into .VOB files .

Regarding your ISO files there might be a program that will let you access the original DVD files buried in the ISO but I'm not sure

i'll have to look into it as it would save me from having to change them all to .VOB .

• Advertisement

Clover wrote: »
    thats ok i'll just use DVD Shrink to turn a few films into .VOB files .

i'll have to look into it as it would save me from having to change them all to .VOB .
    Make sure you untick the 1GB vob option in preferences that way you will end up with the usual AUDIO TS/ VIDEO folders and in the Video folder you will find the .vob file, it will be the big one.
    Let me know if you find anything for the iso's.
    Thanks

thanks for that i'll make sure i have it unticked , and i'll post if i find anything for playing an iso file.

Regarding your ISO files there might be a program that will let you access the original DVD files buried in the ISO but I'm not sure, would be interested to find out...

Daemon Tools is probably what you are looking for here, it allows you to mount an ISO image on your hard disk and which shows up as a new logical drive, eg. F:/. Once that is done, you can just copy & paste files from that Logical drive to anywhere you like.

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php?mode=ViewCategory&catid=5

jAH

jArgHA wrote: »
    Daemon Tools is probably what you are looking for here, it allows you to mount an ISO image on your hard disk and which shows up as a new logical drive, eg. F:/. Once that is done, you can just copy & paste files from that Logical drive to anywhere you like.

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php?mode=ViewCategory&catid=5

jAH
    Thanks for that, will come in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

going to order one of these today if i aint getting new phone...great bargain..my ps3 recently had to be formatted so dont really need anything transfered so can i just put in hard drive and it will work?

Yeah, that will work no problem....you're sure you don't have any game saves ya need?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Is that WD drive commonly regarded as the best brand for upgrading your PS3 or will any 2.5" SATA hard drive do?

Yeah, It seems to be the most popular but as you say any 2.5" SATA will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

ye im sure it was only formatted last week and aint bothered playing any game but resistance online..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Wigertoods

Advertisement