Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August Competition, Forecast and Analysis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Just to put ye wide about the stats* for the current year up to and including July.

Firstly, Anomaly tread for the period:

Anomaly-1.jpg

July 08 proved to be another "near normal" month temperature wise, the 4th such this year, although anomaly still up on June, with a rising trend. Whether this current anomalous warmth will continue, or even rise through August remains to be seen.

At a glance overview of the deviational warmth of the currunt year in relation to the 61-90 and 2007 means for the same period:

Year.jpg

Still not as warm as the same period last year, but not far off. A couple of warmer than average months ahead could put the current year into the record books.

Rainfall wise, the Jan-July totals for the current year indicates that 2008 is not only wetter than the expected 61-90 norm for the same period, but also wetter than the infamously wet Jan-July of 2007:

Rainfall.jpg

Station rainfall totals for the Jan-July period of 2008:

Raintotal.jpg

Southwest is wettest, with the western half of Ireland in general wetter than the east, as per the norm.

Mean sea level pressure for the year still running below average, but with a very slight rising trend:

Pressure.jpg

Figures up 1st August 08 (00hrs) show that pressure values are running at 1.8 mb below normal. Jan-July 58-88 mean totals up at 1013.4 mb, as compared to the Jan-July 08 mean of 1011.6 mb.

I wonder how August will fair out. :)

*All data based on the 10 main Met Eireann stations, except MSLP figures, which are based on values from Malin head, Belmullet, Casement, Birr and Roaches Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Cheers for the time and effort you put in Pat.

Raintotal.jpg

Now there is something i'm interested in.
    Jan- July I recorded 479mm
    While the AP is 452.2mm
    Casement 471mm

Usually between the AP and I the Rainfall is + or - in a few mm., not an inch.

Obviously the distribution of showers or maybe the end FEB into MAR event that dumped over 2" here in 24hrs, maybe not as heavy up in the AP.:confused:

it seems the Eighties was the time to be around if you were a weather enthusiast.

The August of 86 was no exception to this great decade of weather, and was one of the colder month's of the this exceptionally cold year. The mean temperature finished of way below normal by over 2.0c at many stations, and as much as 2.7c at Birr, Co Offaly.

Chart of Overall Mean for this tempestuous month:

Image1-5.jpg

Some incredible low daily minimas recorded throughout the month of August 86. Mean finished off at 12.4c, which is over 2.0c below the 61-90 average. The west saw both the warmest and coldest mean temperatures this month, warmest at Shannon (13.4c) and coolest at Claremorris (11.6c) In absolute terms, Belmullet recorded the highest temperature of the month (21.0c) while Birr came in the lowest (2.0c), followed closely by Mullingar's 2.1c.

Despite the ups and down of the sea level pressures of this month, the mean still finish just below the norm:

Image2-3.jpg

Weatherwise, August 1986 is famous for the "Hurricane Charley" event which occurred late in the month. What is not mentioned so often however, is that an equally strong storm system struck the Southwest of Ireland on the 5th. Here are some extracts from the Meteorological Service of Ireland's overview of this deadly month.

"The summer of '86 was a real washout. June was thundery. July was the dullest in over 30 years and August brought a succession of storms that caused flooding in many areas." (and we haven't even started yet :D)

"August made its unpleasant intentions known right from the start. On Friday the 1st, gales and heavy rain swept the country. Rainfall amounts for the day ranged from 6mm to 32mm with the south and west worst hit. Gale gusts were reported from all stations, including one gust of 62 knots measured at Malin Head, the strongest gust of the month.

"On the morning of Tuesday the 5th, a vigorous depression approached from the southwest and moved northeastwards, preceded by active rainbelts.

"The heaviest rain from this weather system was in the very moist air from lower latitudes, ahead of the depression centre. Again, the south was worst affected. The rain began in earnest in Cahirciveen, Co Kerry, around noon and continued without respite till after nidnight. There was 7 consecutive hours of continuous heavy rain (heavy rain is defined as rain falling at a rate of 6mm an hour or more). A total of 85.6mm fell there that day, which is not far short of the station's monthly total. 56mm of that total fell in the 6 hours between 1 o' clock and 7 o' clock.

"Kerry and Cork were the hardest hit. An underground river overflowed in Tralee and flooded part of the town. In Bantry, the town centre was under 3 feet of water:

Chart of approaching system:

Image3-1.jpg

The month became calmer after the 7th, for a time, but another system was brewing out in the Atlantic on the 15th. Met Eireann continues the story:

"Hurricane Charley first appeared as a tropical storm off the South Carolina coast on Friday 15th August. It tracked north-northeast along the American coast. Charley's strenght began to decline during the evening of the 18th as it swung out into the Atlantic heading eastwards. At 1600hrs GMT, all coastal hurricane warnings were discontinued. It passed south of Nova Scotia on the 19th giving 116mm of rain in places and gusts of over 55 knots.

"By late 22nd, what was left of Charley was in Mid Atlantic, having weakened further. However, the following day, the 23rd of August, rapid deepening began of occur at the occlusion point and by midday of the 24th this had developed into a seperate depression:

Image4-2.jpg

"This depression moved rapidly towards Ireland. By midnight its centre was 300 miles southwest of Kerry and deepening.

"About noon the next day, the centre of the low was just south of the Cork coast:

Image5-1.jpg

"..it was raining steadily all over the country at this stage with the notable exception of Malin Head. By early evening, Dublin and other eastern areas were experiencing continuous heavy rain and gale force winds blowing in from the Irish Sea.

"The heaviest rain fell on the mountains south of Dublin. At Kippure, which is 750 metres high, an estimatied 280mm fell (Mountain stations are not reprentative of the conditions most people experience so they are not considered in determining records). However, 200mm fell in the lowland station of Kilcoole, south of Greystones. 70 to 100mm of rain fell over large parts of Dublin and Wicklow, with similar amounts recorded in parts of Wexford and the south coast.

"New rainfall records were established and again the heavy rain caused flooding. Coincidentally, Bray suffered the same sort of flooding on the same date in 1905, and in the Phoenix Park, precisely the same amount of rain-85.1mm- was recorded on the 25th of August in both years (1905/1986)."

Official rainfall totals for the month of August 1986 from a selection of stations:

Image6-1.jpg

Quick glance at how Europe faired out temp wise this month:

color_smoothingnullpsdef.gif

Notably warm down south; notably cold further north. Atlantic still colder than normal, which typifies the year of 1986.

All charts, temperature/ pressure / rainfall stats and bold text courtasy of Met Eireann.
    European Chart courtasy of the NOAA.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Good stuff Paddy, I remember it well, its been a helluva long time since we had a month that was 2°C below average, the 80's spoiled people of my generation I think.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So what's the current mean temperature?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Amazing Paddy. Keep up the good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Rolling 30 day temp graph. EDIT, added sunshine and rainfal
    The last week has been quite constant
    aug081.gif
    aug082.gif
    aug083.gif

Mothman wrote: »
    Rolling 30 day temp graph.
    Sunshine and rainfall graph not ready yet.
    The last week has been quite constant
    aug083.gif

Very interesting MM. It is amazing (I think) how the mean temperture is remaining above average on the strength of warmer nights rather than on the strength of any astonishing warmth during the day.

Mean up to 8th is 15.6c, about a degree above average.

Claremorris got down to 7.1c the last night, which I think is the lowest temp recorded this month.

Just thought I'd mention that..

Mean up to 8th is 15.6c, about a degree above average.

Claremorris got down to 7.1c the last night, which I think is the lowest temp recorded this month.

Just thought I'd mention that..

heh i fear my lead is going to be short-lived:D

Supercell can sleep easier at night now. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

Weathers sh1te isnt it

Up to midnight 11th:

Overall Mean at 15.5c, which is 1.0c above normal. Coolest in the West & North.

Overall Rainfall at 80.8mm, which is 93.3% of the 61-90 average, and 323% of the August 1st to 11th expected. Wettest in a belt from the mid-west through to the east.

Overall sea level pressure remains much below normal at 1005.0 mb, which is 10.2 mb below the August 1st-11th average of 1015.2 mb. Monthly trend is falling more sharply, which may indicate further unsettled spells for a whileen yet. :)

Up to midnight 11th:

Overall Mean at 15.5c, which is 1.0c above normal. Coolest in the West & North.
    The 61-90 Overall Mean for August totals up at 14.6c

:confused:

I assumed 14.6c was the average monthly mean temperature for August between 1961 -90

I assumed 14.6c was the average monthly mean temperature for August between 1961 -90

It is when Rosslare is included, which I stupidly included in the first valuation. Without this station, the mean is still 14.52c, which is only 0.03c away from being 14.6c. Also, when deviational values are rounded they sometimes conflict with the actual total. But tweedle dee, tweedle doo. Sorry about this Nacho.

Stats up to midinight 13th:

Overall Mean: 15.2c, which is 0.7c above normal.
    Overall Mean Rainfall: 103.2mm, which 119.1% of the June 61-90 mean.

Notable is the Overall Sea Level Pressure for the month of August:

August14rhPressure.jpg

Daily and monthly trend remaining much below normal, and while there was a slight rise yesterday, it is a rise that did not surpass even the unusually low monthly mean that this August has clocked up so far. Up to midnight last, the mean SLP for Ireland stands at 1003.2 mb, which is over 10mb below what is expected.

It is when Rosslare is included, which I stupidly included in the first valuation. Without this station, the mean is still 14.52c, which is only 0.03c away from being 14.6c. Also, when deviational values are rounded they sometimes conflict with the actual total. But tweedle dee, tweedle doo. Sorry about this Nacho.

Stats up to midinight 13th:

Overall Mean: 15.2c, which is 0.7c above normal.
    Overall Mean Rainfall: 103.2mm, which 119.1% of the June 61-90 mean.

Notable is the Overall Sea Level Pressure for the month of August:

August14rhPressure.jpg

Daily and monthly trend remaining much below normal, and while there was a slight rise yesterday, it is a rise that did not surpass even the unusually low monthly mean that this August has clocked up so far. Up to midnight last, the mean SLP for Ireland stands at 1003.2 mb, which is over 10mb below what is expected.

the mean temp would be below normal but for the consistenly high nighttime temperature:mad:
    good work as always paddy1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Valencia had 9.7 hrs sunshine during Puck Fair, if I'm not mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

jd wrote: »

Would that be covering the 2 days, like the overall total?

jd wrote: »
    Correct (except its not Valencia), 9.7h overall for the 3 days.

Dublin AP 7.0C yesterday, new low for month, but would be surprising if there is not lower before months end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Correct (except its not Valencia), .
    Oops, wishful thinking...

Correct (except its not Valencia), 9.7h overall for the 3 days.

Dublin AP 7.0C yesterday, new low for month, but would be surprising if there is not lower before months end.

Why? Is it because the nights tend to get cooler heading into September?

• Advertisement

Yes and really 7.0C is not particularly low.
    Until 2005, the highest minimum temperature across all synoptic stations was 4.7C
    But 2005 min was 6.1C Dublin AP
    and 2007 6.2C at Dublin AP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Just wanted to mention that my 120% of normal sunshine forecast should be changed to 120 minutes of sunshine. :D

Mid month glance at the statistics for this moist August (up to midnight 15th):

Overall Mean:

August15thTemp.jpg

A slight cooling taking place.

Rainfall:

August15th08Rain.jpg

Damp to say the least.

Pressure:

August15th08Pressure.jpg

Kinda Low :)

Bringing the graphs forward to latest page.
    Overall mean 15.0C
    aug081.gif
    aug082.gif
    aug083.gif

Also the max temp so far is 22.3C on 6th at Casement.

Today saw 20.6C at Johnstown Castle, the first 20C+ for I think 9 days!!

This month has been my wettest since Oct 06, and after another 2mm Oct 05.
    Been awfully dull as well.
    Hours sunshine for 1st-19th of each month in 2008

Aug 57.7
    Feb 78.1
    Mar 84.5
    Apr 125.2
    May 150.9
    Jun 130.6
    Jul 77.0

Jul worse than Feb as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thats pretty incredible to se a summer month trending lower in sun than a winter one this far north, this summer has been really deadful.
    I got a email from a Chinese reader of my website. They wanted to know if it was ever sunny in Ireland as everytime they looked at my webcam it was cloudy lol!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

And sunshine nationally
    Feb 1-19th 67.5hrs
    Aug 1-19th 64hrs

Up to midnight last:

Overall Mean: 15.0c (+0.4c)
    Overall Rain: 152.8mm (175.4%)

• Advertisement

Looks like in 5 years of sunshine records, this month will be the dullest duirng April to Sept period.
    Currently 69 hours.
    Lowest for April and Sept is about 130 hours and lowest for summer month 137 hours.
    This month may not even reach 100 hours

Advertisement