Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

offered apartment

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

channaigh wrote: »
    i refused it because i found out through a councillor that they had placed a single man with alchol problems below me in the bottom half of the house.i don't think that is right a girl by herself with her young daughter and a single man god only knows what he is like. I was advised by the councillor to stay where i was. Am really mad with the housing officer cause he tried to convince me that that there was a two bed underneath me.
    have been on the list for four years they lost my apllication for two years.
    As for paying your own rent pigeon butler I'm glad you do i just persume you are not raising a child by yourself. My rent that i get paid for by the state is €280.00 per month i pay the remaining €500.00 from my wages from work as well as that i travel to dublin every monday to do my masters. so don't talk to me about trying to make money off the state. If i wanted to do that i'd sit at home. But I will not accept somewhere that is not right for my daughter and that half a house is not the place for us.
    Nice assumptoin that the man is obviously a paedophile because he drinks and is a bachelor. I'd say he's lucky not to have you living over him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

She didn't brand him a paedophile she said god only knows what he is like which is correct. I wouldn't like to live above a man who has a drinking problem because he could go off the rails at any time. What if he tried to break into her home one night and tried to cause her and her daughter danger?

She was right to turn down the apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Everything happens for a reason

That's my point. For example, the person who doesn't get an education and has a bad work ethic will end up with nothing. The reason they end up with nothing is because they didn't get an education and have a bad work ethic, i.e. everything happens for a reason.
    you need to open your mind a little bit and not persume that not everyone is out to get what they can from the state.

I don't assume everyone is trying to get what they can from the state, but I also don't think people who are homeless shouldn't be picky when it comes to what free house they're going to get.

It's common sense really.

However it sounds like you already have somewhere to live, and you are in no rush, so you probably don't really need us to pay for your house?
    Nice assumptoin that the man is obviously a paedophile because he drinks and is a bachelor.

Yeah, I also thought that was a very odd conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

dublindude wrote: »
    That's my point. For example, the person who doesn't get an education and has a bad work ethic will end up with nothing. The reason they end up with nothing is because they didn't get an education and have a bad work ethic, i.e. everything happens for a reason.

Hold on a minute, education ain't free no matter how much a politician says so.
    Some families are so poor that when the eldest reaches 18, he/she has to goto work to help bring money into the household. Spending that time in a college is a non-runner as state help is inadequate.

Some of us didn't have a silver spoon in our mouth at childbirth.
    dublindude wrote: »
    I don't assume everyone is trying to get what they can from the state, but I also don't think people who are homeless shouldn't be picky when it comes to what free house they're going to get.

And put their kids in possible danger from an alcoholic who does NOT work?(it looks like he got the place for free on social list)

If OP was short of cash, the father should be paying maintenance, take your frustration out on the runaway fathers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

gurramok wrote: »
    Some of us didn't have a silver spoon in our mouth at childbirth.

I worked 35 hours a week when I was a full-time student.

Currently I'm doing an MSc at night and work full-time during the day.

I believe in hard work and earning your way through life. Simple as that.

I don't believe in hand-outs unless they are absolutely necessary.

The fact that the OP is in a position where she can turn down a free house and feels she should be able to pick and choose shows she is not desperate or living on the edge of society.
    gurramok wrote: »
    And put their kids in possible danger from an alcoholic who does NOT work?(it looks like he got the place for free on social list)

Eh reality check, she's applying for social housing. It's highly unlikely she's going to be surrounded by teetotal familes who are into meditation and prawn sandwiches.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

People- you are all jumping to totally irrational conclusions concerning the OPs motivation for turning down the apartment. Yes- she was offered an apartment, part funded by the tax-payer. Yes- she refused it. She had very valid grounds for refusing it, and to be quite honest while I've no idea who she is- I'd be worried if I heard of a 3 year old being put in a situation like that.

There are tonnes of people out there who are very happy to sit at home and allow the taxpayer to mollycoddle them. The OP on the other hand is working, is studying, and is also bringing up her daughter on her own. I can only imagine how she manages to juggle these very time consuming things- and hope she is managing ok.

I'm closing this thread- as it has gone its course.

This is the accommodation/property forum. If you want to bash single parents or rant about the social welfare system- take it to afterhours or another forum- not here. Any more totally OTT comments will result in people being banned.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement