Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artic Ice shows marked improvement on last year

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Interesting. I have been keeping a cautious eye on the inflow of warm air up to the Arctic during the spring and summer, and no where near as much getting up there as was the case this time last year on the Atlantic side in particular, due to the persistance of the northern block which became established (in hybrd form) in March.

Unrelated, or maybe it is, the UKMO has just issued its forecast for the winter. "Less mild than last winter but still above the 70-00 mean". "Less mild", an easy one to call after a record breaking mild winter.

I think this winter will prove a little more interesting than that here. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Interesting. I have been keeping a cautious eye on the inflow of warm air up to the Arctic during the spring and summer, and no where near as much getting up there as was the case this time last year on the Atlantic side in particular, due to the persistance of the northern block which became established (in hybrd form) in March.

Unrelated, or maybe it is, the UKMO has just issued its forecast for the winter. "Less mild than last winter but still above the 70-00 mean". "Less mild", an easy one to call after a record breaking mild winter.

I think this winter will prove a little more interesting than that here. ;)
    Oh dear, are we already forecasting next winter:D There's still more than half of summer to go people, dont lose faith yet. With a bit of luck the sun might come out for an hour or two in august;)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Weather BOFH

There's nearly a million square km more ice this year than last in the Arctic:

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/current.365.jpg

And Antarctica sea ice is above the 79-00 mean by about half a million square km and has been above the mean since last August:

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/current.365.south.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

We should not start counting our chickens yet but this is really good news. Funny how this gets no media attention at all:(

Anyways the trend is toward the 30 year average right now and that would leave us far far up on last year going into the winter with the ice extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I wonder if Al Gore knows about this :pac:

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »
    We should not start counting our chickens yet but this is really good news. Funny how this gets no media attention at all:(

Anyways the trend is toward the 30 year average right now and that would leave us far far up on last year going into the winter with the ice extent.

Does anyone know how much the actual ice sheet affects the conditions down here during the season of winter. Would it be a case of the greater the extent of the ice, the more chance we have of a good auld blasht a shnow; or would it in fact increase the positive trend of the NAO?

Always wondered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

It would be more of a sway to a -NAO with dryer and cooler winter peroid. Or more - than + at times. The temperate influence be never far away. Had one in the early 90s can't remember the year when 17mm of rain fell for the month of January in which 16mm was from one episode. Don't recall a snowy event though.

Plus Global Warming lol

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2008/06/the-sunspot-mys.html
    "the world cooled quickly between January last year and January this year, by about 0.7C.

"This is the fastest temperature change in the instrumental record, and it puts us back to where we were in 1930,"
    In the past, they observed that the sun once went 50 years without producing sunspots. That period coincided with a little ice age on Earth that lasted from 1650 to 1700"

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Funny how this gets no media attention at all:(

There's way too much money to be made on the back of global warming so I'd doubt we'll ever hear about any 'global cooling' in the mainstream news.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 StratoQ

Re: Counting chickens etc.

There is still at least two months to go before the arctic sea ice melt season finishes. The pattern of sea ice melt has been different this year to last - but we may yet see a rapid dip in sea ice extent if conditions change over the north coast of Russia.

Much of the ice north of the Russian coast is young first year sea ice and thin by nature. Temps have been low north of Russia but high north of Alaska/Canada so far this summer. There are signs east Siberia is heating up now considerably (almost 30 C near the coast). So I wouldnt be at all surprised to see a another big dip thru August. More discussed here:

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

LFCFan wrote: »
    There's way too much money to be made on the back of global warming so I'd doubt we'll ever hear about any 'global cooling' in the mainstream news.

You're right. "Fresh Air tax" is huge now. Not a chance of the powers that be letting go of that one.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

You're right. "Fresh Air tax" is huge now. Not a chance of the powers that be letting go of that one.
    I'm talking about the billions that is being spent on research all over the world. All the grant money that is out there for scientists etc. If the planet starts 'recovering' and the topic is no longer top of the agenda, a lot of that money will dry up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Interesting article here on the possible connection between wild fires in the US/North America and its effect on the Arctic - could this help explain the apparant reversal of trends?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=alYnovfZgjk0&refer=us

Was in the IT yesterday.

Maybe time to amend the thread title.

Arctic sea ice extent has dropped considerably in past 2 weeks.

The NW passage is now open and it looks like this year's min extent could well come close to last year's record min.

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Facts speak for themselves

http://nsidc.org/data/seaice_index/images/daily_images/N_timeseries.png

If it keeps going like this it will recover to average but even so this is a pretty big improvement that should be reported on.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7585645.stm

And still no change to the thread title!

Hello. Any moderator out there!

I think it's important that we should not be sending out messages that Arctic is on the mend when clearly it isnt. Global warming is everyone's responsibility.

OK. Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Global Warming my backside, meanwhile the Antarctic shows record ice. Funny how this is not in the main news at 9 headlines!

Linkey: http://icecap.us/index.php/go/joes-blog/a_new_record_for_antartic_total_ice_extent

Antarctic sea ice trend is more or less flatlining.

I am at a loss as to how you dont think Arctic ice loss is not related to the obvious and undisputed warming the planet has undergone in the past couple of decades (and esp. in the northern latitudes)

There seems to be an all too common standpoint about that you're not "trendy" these days unless you are a global warming skeptic.

StratoQ, It is my opinion that this global warming or climate change - which ever slant you choose to call it is a load of bull. In the 1970s it was "Global Cooling" and how at that time the planet was going into an iceage.
    As for the common standpoint, I would feel the opposite is true.

The seas are warmer over the last few years allright, that is no doubt. That is why the arctic sea has less ice. However, this has happened MANY times in the past. There was the Mideavil Warming Period before the mini ice age - guess what, no C02 from us humans then! This warming period allowed the Danes to colonise Greenland, even sustainable agriculture was possible then!

This global warming/climate change bull is an excuse to raise taxes, and keep the Western World/Africa balance the way it is.

The real driver of our planets climate is the sun's spots. There is an absence of major spots at the moment, guess what, it's getting cooler!

N_timeseries.png

Not quite reaching the low levels of 2007 yet.

StratoQ, while ice extent may be lower than the 79-00 average (which is not much of a time encompasing average in my opinion), are sea levels rising globally in relation to this sea ice loss? I don't have any links available on my faves to show this. Would be interesting to compare sea level rises with this gradual sea ice anomaly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

I don't think Arctic sea ice loss affects sea level. AFAIK its because the ice is floating anyway so its water displacement is already in effect.

Ice loss in Antarctica or Greenland is a different matter...

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

Meanwhile... in KENYA! :eek:... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7596134.stm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,332 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Last year people blamed the unusual wind currents for the lack of ice, looks like this year will be very close if not exceeding last years losses.
    The trend is undeniable. Just look at Paddies temperature devaition charts in the montly forecast threads, its the exception to have a month equal or below average and completely the norm to be above these days.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gone soon

conceited wrote: »

Long time viewer of this board, but this post forced me to sign up and respond….

I suppose I can’t blame conceited for believing what he/she reads, but I wish people would do a bit of digging before they make up their minds.

NSIDC, apparently who DailyTech used for information to write this report/blog state that 2008 is the second lowest Arctic ice levels on record. True, the ice sheet is larger than 2007, but to headline that the Arctic has seen “massive gains” is extremely disingenuous

The ease with which even accurate data can be twisted to pursue an agenda is frightening. The use of spurious data goes without saying. Telling the difference, for the average consumer bombarded with information and disinformation, is frustrating.

All I can say is, dig deeper.

+1 on the above post
    Also, the article made it seem like the melt seasn is over, it isn't yet;
    http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=49286&st=34&start=34
    There is sensationalism/inaccuracy on both sides of the AGW debate.

Danno wrote: »
    StratoQ, It is my opinion that this global warming or climate change - which ever slant you choose to call it is a load of bull. In the 1970s it was "Global Cooling" and how at that time the planet was going into an iceage.
    As for the common standpoint, I would feel the opposite is true.

Of course Danno, you're entitled to your own view point. We are living at (for me anyway) a fascinating time of changing weather and climate. Nobody can say they have all the answers. IMO the evidence says that we are in a global warming period. Causation is another matter.

The next few years I think will tell a lot and in that respect why not have an "Arctic Sea Ice" "North Pole" sticky thread? It's one no doubt people are going to come back to as the ice waxes and wanes.

A neutral thread title such as that I think would be better all round.

Agreed StratoQ. I think a "Climate Change" sticky would be good. BTW, my stance against GW is nothing personal! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I thought things were even hotting up here for a while! It must be global warming, I mean climate change :D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

gone soon wrote: »
    Long time viewer of this board, but this post forced me to sign up and respond….
    I'M GOING TO FINE YOU ONE CARBON CREDIT, PAY FOR IT AT THE POST OFFICE.:
    Or send a postal order to al gores company.
    Global warming my arse.In the 1300's it was alot warmer than it is today.It's the earths natural cycle.
    As was said Eric the Red's descendant's colonized Greenland in the 1300's i suppose that was because of them there cars....:eek:

Advertisement