Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In light of an economic downturn, which transport project would you give priority to?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Is Metro North really needed? Hasn't a spur somewhere off the DART line been suggested at various times in the past as a way of getting a rail link out to the airport 'on the cheap'. Voted for the interconnector plus DART line extensions myself.

I have been thinking along the same lines, but came up with something different. Click the following (thread) and scroll down to the first reply (mine):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055333755

Mind you, I must draw an outline map showing the route that I've suggested!

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Ditch the M17 and build a basic bypass of Claregalway and Tuam. 6 roundabouts, two bridges and about 30 kms of roads wouldn't be that expensive.

I'd agree with that if the road was DC!

Gillie wrote: »
    I'd agree with that if the road was DC!

...maybe a Type 2 Dual Carriageway (16.5m 2+2). The M17 should still remain as a long term objective though IMO.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

...maybe a Type 2 Dual Carriageway (16.5m 2+2). The M17 should still remain as a long term objective though IMO.
    Ah come on, lads. You're proposing a 2+2 to be followed eventually by a motorway? Are you serious?

Since the M17 has been shelved (:mad:), and given the economic circumstances, I think the best that the 25,000 cars going through Claregalway can hope for is a single-carriageway bypass - to be followed eventually by the M17. Loughrea is the precedent for this. Regrettably, I think the Tuam bypass is a dead duck (given the proposal to include it in the new "super-M17" to Claremorris).

Of course, they've built a bus lane on the south side of Claregalway and are soon to follow with one on the north side, to persuade us all out of our cars ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

serfboard wrote: »
    Since the M17 has been shelved (:mad:)

Has it been?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

I voted for the Interconnector also for the good of the capital.
    However I do believe that the M24 from Limerick to Waterford would be a real benefit to the south of the country.
    Maybe they could use this instead of buildling the M20 as it could be used along with the M8 to get from Limerick to Cork. Would be short-term solution and less expensive way of linking the 3 main cities in the south together via a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

If i could wave a magic wand ( probably the only thing that would ever get it built ) i would get the fantasy M17 moved and built to actually go near Galway City :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Bards

bawn79 wrote: »
    I voted for the Interconnector also for the good of the capital.
    However I do believe that the M25 from Limerick to Waterford would be a real benefit to the south of the country.
    Maybe they could use this instead of buildling the M20 as it could be used along with the M8 to get from Limerick to Cork. Would be short-term solution and less expensive way of linking the 3 main cities in the south together via a motorway.

I presume you mean the N24 Limerick to Waterford road, and not the N25 Waterford to Cork road?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Yip my mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Bards

Seems the South-East and Mid-West Regional Authorities agree with this plan also

from http://www.waterford-today.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3606&Itemid=1&ed=347
    ===================================================

Two regional authorities demand priority upgrading for N24 Waterford/Limerick primary route

"There is an undeniable case for the priority upgrading of the N24 National Primary Route in the NRA's post-2010 Roads Programme". So stated Cllr. Paddy O'Callaghan, Cathaoirleach of the South-East Regional Authority, following a meeting of a delegation representing the South-East and Mid-West Regional Authorities with Mr. Fred Barry, Chief Executive of the National Roads Authority on 10th July.

"Our meeting with Mr. Barry was very positive and we presented to him the issues and recommendations made in the South-East Regional Authority's recently completed N24 Prioritisation Study Report", said Cllr. O'Callaghan. "I made it clear at the meeting that the N24 is considered by my Regional Authority as one of the key economic infrastructural drivers of the regional economies of the South-East and Mid-West Regions and that it is critically important for the economic wellbeing of both regions that the Route be prioritised now by the National Roads Authority and Minister for Transport for immediate upgrading in the post-2010 Roads Programme", continued Cllr. O'Callaghan.

The Regional Authority has long been concerned at the relatively weak economic performance of the South-East. It is performing poorly when compared to other Irish regions under a range of socio-economic headings. The Regional Authority has consistently identified and articulated the region's overall development needs and investment priorities.

"In our discussions, I told Mr. Barry that we should pay special heed to the expressed concerns of the major employers in the two regions, particularly now as we enter an era of difficult economic conditions for business. According to them, the N24 in its current state presents a major obstacle to commercial operations and does not present a progressive image to potential investors coming to Ireland or to the South-East and Mid-West regions" stated Cllr. O'Callaghan.

- The N24 route is 115 kms in length, links the two ‘Gateway' cities of Waterford and Limerick and runs through 4 major towns (Tipperary, Cahir, Clonmel, Carrick-on-Suir) as well as eight villages (Boher, Pallasgreen, Oola, Monard, Limerick Junction, Bansha, Kilsheelan, Mooncoin).

• Advertisement

With 86 votes now cast, there is no change in the 2 options which seem the most popular so far:
    • The Interconnector + Dart Extensions (47.67%);
    • Metro North (25.58%).

However, the extent by which the Interconnector was topping the poll has dramatically narrowed since then (well down from 63.04%). The Metro North, although still a long way off, lies a much more respectable 2nd (up from 19.57%). 3rd place is tied (6.98%) between the:
    • M20/M18 AWC (gaining popularity);
    • Cork Ring Road (holding steady);

The 'DOOR Motorway' option has slipped to 5th position with 4.65% of the vote so far. The 'Luas Line BX and D' only gained 2 votes (2.33%), but with the popularity of the Metro North, I guess the former is being squeezed out. Two very low scoring options at a mere 1.16% (1 vote) each are:
    • Metro West (very surprised!).
    • Eastern By-pass (no surprise!);

Last place (0.00%) is reserved for:
    • Luas Line F to Lucan (now, that's quite a shock!).

My preferred option, the Interconnector, has been reeled in quite a bit, but still holds a very comfortable lead ahead of Metro North! :)

Regards!

Ref - Last week's poll check:
    With 46 votes now cast, there is no surprise in the 2 options which seem the most popular so far:
    • The Interconnector + Dart Extensions (63.04%);
    • Metro North (19.57%).

The big surprise is the extent to which the Interconnector is topping the poll, it has more votes than all other options put together, including even the Metro North which lies a very distant 2nd (though way ahead of the rest). 3rd place is tied (4.35%) between the:
    • DOOR Motorway;
    • Cork Ring Road;
    • "Other" options.

Last place (0.00%) is shared between the:
    • Metro West (quite surprised I must admit!).
    • Luas Line F to Lucan (a little surprised!).

As I stated before, the Interconnector is the one I voted for - that said, I'm still pretty :eek::eek::eek:!

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Ckal

2) M20 Cork to Limerick, and M18 to Galway (AWC) for me. We need better links between the South and West cities. All other Motorways lead to Dublin, we need ones that don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Wow Metro West is taking a serious beating in the poll. Rightly so. Metro me hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

galwayrush wrote: »
    If i could wave a magic wand ( probably the only thing that would ever get it built ) i would get the fantasy M17 moved and built to actually go near Galway City :rolleyes:

And I wish I was on that M17.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

galwayrush wrote: »

Agreed. Current Athenry routing is utter stupidity. How that ever got off the drawing board I'll never know. :confused:

With 106 votes now cast, there is no change in the 2 options which seem the most popular so far, but 3rd place has become a much more decisive affair:
    • The Interconnector + Dart Extensions (43.40%);
    • Metro North (24.53%);
    • M20/M18 AWC (12.26%).

Now, the Interconnector option has fallen again, but not as dramatically this time. The Metro North (still a long way off) has also fallen slightly, but continues to command a very respectable 2nd. At this stage, 3rd place seems well tied up by the M20/M18 option – same has proven to be the dark horse so far. 4th and 5th places go to:
    • Cork Ring Road (5.66%);
    • Other (4.72%);

The 'DOOR Motorway' option has slipped again to 6th position with 3.77% of the vote so far. The 'Luas Line BX and D' still has only 2 votes (1.89%), while the ‘Luas Line F’ option gained 2 votes (1.89%) to get off the mark (was 0.00%) last week. Two very low scoring options at a mere 0.94% (1 vote) each are:

My preferred option, the Interconnector, has held out pretty well and holds a very comfortable lead ahead of Metro North! :)

Regards!

Ref - Last week's poll check:
    With 86 votes now cast, there is no change in the 2 options which seem the most popular so far:
    • The Interconnector + Dart Extensions (47.67%);
    • Metro North (25.58%).

However, the extent by which the Interconnector was topping the poll has dramatically narrowed since then (well down from 63.04%). The Metro North, although still a long way off, lies a much more respectable 2nd (up from 19.57%). 3rd place is tied (6.98%) between the:
    • M20/M18 AWC (gaining popularity);
    • Cork Ring Road (holding steady);

The 'DOOR Motorway' option has slipped to 5th position with 4.65% of the vote so far. The 'Luas Line BX and D' only gained 2 votes (2.33%), but with the popularity of the Metro North, I guess the former is being squeezed out. Two very low scoring options at a mere 1.16% (1 vote) each are:

Last place (0.00%) is reserved for:
    • Luas Line F to Lucan (now, that's quite a shock!).

My preferred option, the Interconnector, has been reeled in quite a bit, but still holds a very comfortable lead ahead of Metro North! :)

Regards!

This poll closes on Wed 30th July 2008 @ 13:59!!!

...so if you didn't have your say yet, you better get voting!

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭NewApproach

M7 to Limerick and the tunnels around Limerick would be my priority but thats not up there so I chose the Cork to Limerick road

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

M7 to Limerick and the tunnels around Limerick would be my priority but thats not up there so I chose the Cork to Limerick road

:eek: OMG Did nobody tell you that they were all being built right now? , OMG :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

live no where near it, would only make a few return journeys on the route a year, but for me, would have to be metro north, would certently make the journey to/from dublin airport alot more easier,

off topic slightly, now only if it went though or connected the cities main railway stations (can any one tell me why it dosn't, probably in another thread), people choosing to use it, who live out side of the city coming into the central stations, would still have to walk to o'connell bridge from the nearest luas stop connecting heuston and connelly which i belive to be abbey st, (getting back on topic) or use the airport bus, altough hopefully this route would become easier and less conjested due to people using the metro

from a local interest (selfish :D) point of view would either be the the atlanic corridoor, or the western rail corridoor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Voted for Interconnector/DART extension for selfish reasons, but I think that MN is the most important.

irish-stew wrote: »
    live no where near it, would only make a few return journeys on the route a year, but for me, would have to be metro north, would certently make the journey to/from dublin airport alot more easier,

off topic slightly, now only if it went though or connected the cities main railway stations (can any one tell me why it dosn't, probably in another thread), people choosing to use it, who live out side of the city coming into the central stations, would still have to walk to o'connell bridge from the nearest luas stop connecting heuston and connelly which i belive to be abbey st, (getting back on topic) or use the airport bus, altough hopefully this route would become easier and less conjested due to people using the metro

No mate, the Metro North will connect with the 2 proposed DART lines. To get to Connolly Station, you would interchange at Drumcondra and use the DART 1 (via existing overhead loop) Southbound. To get to Heuston Station, you would go right to the end of the Metro North at Stephen's Green and switch to DART 2 (via proposed underground interconnector) Southbound. The interconnector project is quite likely to be completed before Metro North.

Actually, if you follow this link, you'll see what I mean regarding connections:

http://www.transport21.ie/Maps/Transport_21_Maps/Navigation.html#

It's not a great map, but if you can pinpoint Stephens Green (where the Navy (Metro) and Purple (Interconnector) lines meet, I think it can be worked out from there - just makes me wonder why "professionals" :rolleyes: can't come up with a better diagram - IMO, the whole initial Transport 21 presentation would have been easily surpassed by second level students! :mad: That said, the current presentation looks a whole lot better!

Hope this helps!

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Voted for Interconnector/DART extension for selfish reasons, but I think that MN is the most important.

Well, I voted for the Interconnector too, so I'll forgive you! :D

Seriously, I think the Interconnector should proceed first - many of the current heavy rail lines around Dublin are not operating to their full potential because of insufficient capacity in the city centre, so this project is a must.

Regards!

The Limerick Tunnel and all remaining M7 projects are now under contract, so the government cannot opt out of same without major political, financial or legal consequences.

However, the M20/M18 would be my second choice after the Interconnector - I think the link-up of Cork, Limerick and Galway with motorway standard road is vital for our national development stategy.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

No mate, the Metro North will connect with the 2 proposed DART lines. To get to Connolly Station, you would interchange at Drumcondra and use the DART 1 (via existing overhead loop) Southbound. To get to Heuston Station, you would go right to the end of the Metro North at Stephen's Green and switch to DART 2 (via proposed underground interconnector) Southbound. The interconnector project is quite likely to be completed before Metro North.

Actually, if you follow this link, you'll see what I mean regarding connections:

http://www.transport21.ie/Maps/Transport_21_Maps/Navigation.html#

It's not a great map, but if you can pinpoint Stephens Green (where the Navy (Metro) and Purple (Interconnector) lines meet, I think it can be worked out from there - just makes me wonder why "professionals" :rolleyes: can't come up with a better diagram - IMO, the whole initial Transport 21 presentation would have been easily surpassed by second level students! :mad: That said, the current presentation looks a whole lot better!

Hope this helps!

ok, i get what your saying, looks a bit clearer than what i thought, but for people coming into the city from out side, ie, on intercity train services, there is no link to it from a central interchange station apart from taking a few stops on the dart/bus, from my own point of view, coming into connolly, i would be passing though drumcondra on an intercity service, how ever, the intercity service does not stop there, apart from maybe one or two a day on a service than runs every two hours

for me, i would arrive in connolly, and (a) get the airlink from busarus, or (b) get the luas from connelly to abbey street and walk to o'connell bridge to get the metro, or (c) cross the platforms to get the dart or comuter service, back tracking on my self to drumcondra to get the metro, or (d), get on an intercity service that stops on drumcondra, and for those coming into hueston, getting the interconnector to the metro

it just makes me wonder why these professionals have not got an airport service that directly connects/interchanges with central services, rather than haveing to use an aditional form of tranport to get to it, ie the dart or interconnector, may seem like a selfish point of view, ie, just to suit my own needs, but not everyone who flys out of dublin, lives in dublin

just out of curosity, by the time all this is completed, if it ever is, will dublin have finnaly got a ticket or smart card system that covers all the public tranport it it

This is the last call before the poll closes tomorrow 30th July @ 13:59pm. If you haven't casted your vote yet, please do so ASAP!

Many thanks to those who've participated so far! :)

I hope to analyse the final result on Thursday! :cool:

Regards!

irish-stew wrote: »
    ok, i get what your saying, looks a bit clearer than what i thought, but for people coming into the city from out side, ie, on intercity train services, there is no link to it from a central interchange station apart from taking a few stops on the dart/bus, from my own point of view, coming into connolly, i would be passing though drumcondra on an intercity service, how ever, the intercity service does not stop there, apart from maybe one or two a day on a service than runs every two hours

for me, i would arrive in connolly, and (a) get the airlink from busarus, or (b) get the luas from connelly to abbey street and walk to o'connell bridge to get the metro, or (c) cross the platforms to get the dart or comuter service, back tracking on my self to drumcondra to get the metro, or (d), get on an intercity service that stops on drumcondra, and for those coming into hueston, getting the interconnector to the metro

it just makes me wonder why these professionals have not got an airport service that directly connects/interchanges with central services, rather than haveing to use an aditional form of tranport to get to it, ie the dart or interconnector, may seem like a selfish point of view, ie, just to suit my own needs, but not everyone who flys out of dublin, lives in dublin

just out of curosity, by the time all this is completed, if it ever is, will dublin have finnaly got a ticket or smart card system that covers all the public tranport it it

I'll have to look into this in greater detail!

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

1) Atlantic Corridor
    2) Interconnector
    3) Metro and Luas extensions
    4) Cork suburban rail
    5) GLUAS and/or Cork Luas

With a final total of 137 votes, the poll has clearly revealed the following podium positions:
    • The Interconnector + Dart Extensions (46.72% - 64 Votes);
    • Metro North (22.63% - 31 Votes);
    • M20/M18 AWC (13.14% - 18 Votes).

Now, the Interconnector option has risen slightly on last week to lead its rival option (Metro North) by more than double, which in turn, leads its 3rd place rival (M20/M18) by quite a significant margin. However, the M20/M18 option leads the 4th placed Cork Ring Road Upgrade by triple scores. The next 4 positions are:
    • Cork Ring Road (4.38% - 6 Votes);
    • LUAS Line F (3.65% - 5 Votes);
    • Other (3.65% - 5 Votes);
    • DOOR (2.92% - 4 Votes);

The 'DOOR Motorway' option has slipped yet again to 7th position with a mere2.92% of the vote so far. The ‘Luas Line F’ option has proven to be a second dark horse (after the M20/M18 option) to gain 3 votes (3.65%) to acheive a total of 5. The 3 lowest scoring options are:
    • LUAS Line BX and D (1.46% - 2 Votes);
    • Metro West (0.73% - 1 Vote).
    • Eastern By-pass (0.73% - 1 Vote);

My preferred option, the Interconnector, has held out to win by a very significant margin over the nearest rival: Metro North! :)

Have run out of time, will edit this post later!

Regards!

Ref - Last week's poll check:[/QUOTE]
    With 106 votes now cast, there is no change in the 2 options which seem the most popular so far, but 3rd place has become a much more decisive affair:
    • The Interconnector + Dart Extensions (43.40%);
    • Metro North (24.53%);
    • M20/M18 AWC (12.26%).

Now, the Interconnector option has fallen again, but not as dramatically this time. The Metro North (still a long way off) has also fallen slightly, but continues to command a very respectable 2nd. At this stage, 3rd place seems well tied up by the M20/M18 option – same has proven to be the dark horse so far. 4th and 5th places go to:
    • Cork Ring Road (5.66%);
    • Other (4.72%);

The 'DOOR Motorway' option has slipped again to 6th position with 3.77% of the vote so far. The 'Luas Line BX and D' still has only 2 votes (1.89%), while the ‘Luas Line F’ option gained 2 votes (1.89%) to get off the mark (was 0.00%) last week. Two very low scoring options at a mere 0.94% (1 vote) each are:

My preferred option, the Interconnector, has held out pretty well and holds a very comfortable lead ahead of Metro North! :)

Regards!

• Advertisement
Advertisement