Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATC recruitment with IAA

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 EI573

Yep Poloman, you're probably right on the difficulties of being completely fair. It's definitely not easy to go about.

And I suppose as regards the training, I'm tending to think of it from the perspective of another generation. Radio-officer training wasn't a walk in the park back in the day, it was more focused on electrical and electronic engineering and much radio theory, but I imagine this course will be tailored to suit this job focusing on the important elements, rather than the training given for a general career as a radio officer.

Anyway, don't give up if you don't get it; there's always something else out there that'll spark your interests. It just wasn't meant to be. (And that goes to all of you who are waiting on the results right now)

It's got to be particularly hard as you've made it this far! So close to actually getting the training position!

The best of luck to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

I've said before I was talking to a qualified solicitor who sat the aptitude test and another few who I would regard as being very highly educated and able people, in any profession, technical or otherwise. There is at least 1 candidate who is a qualified aircraft technician who couldn't get a job in his field and decided to apply, he got a final interview and will probably get the job given what I learned from my final interview. I can't understand this unwillingness to accept "green" candidates as genuine or able or the suggestion that by virtue of the fact you passed the aptitude test you are somehow unworthy. It's a "closed shop" mentality. A radio officer working somewhere else would never be doing an identical job to the one in Ballygirreen, and so though it would be a huge advantage and a lot of knowledge would transfer it surely doesn't necessarily mean you are "perfect" for Ballygirreen. I can't see how anybody would be in a position to say so.
    Most young people today are very versatile and quick to learn not to mention university educated, something, with all due respect, others may not be. Perhaps they would have a greater appreciation for certain elements of the job and life in general and would apply themselves to the job in a better way to those with long established routines and habits, who knows? I couldn't say either way generally, it would probably depend on the individual. One process hasn't found both sets of candidates, perhaps they could have had 2 parallel processes.

I have some issues with the process, some computer tests would be a good idea and the final interview in particular I have some specific issues with, I don't feel it was nearly long enough for a start, but I'm not complaining really. It's my own fault I didn't get it. I could have done a much better interview and I left a lot of what I wanted to say at home.

EI573 wrote: »
    I suppose I'll pipe in here again as the process is now at an end.

One thing I want to anonymously say as I know the IAA are reading this; there were a lot more people pre-aptitude test who were absolutely perfect for this job than there were in the final interviews.

I have no doubt in my mind (and I'm not alone in thinking this) that the test took out several people who were absolutely ideal for the position. I can't comment on how they scored on the day of the aptitude test (though I'd be willing to bet they came within a hair of passing the mark), all I know for certain is that the applications they submitted said it all. And they never got the chance to have any of this seen to.

I know it's often necessary to use an aptitude test to filter out a huge amount of people (the ESB have to do this, with thousands upon thousands of applicants), but I know for a fact that in (at least some) other industries, people who score well but not quite well enough, still have their application reviewed, and a type of 'wild card' is put in place where a certain amount of these people will be called forward to the next stage, providing they tick all of the other boxes.

Had the aptitude test had anything to do with this position (for example in the way that the ATC test is a very good indication of how one will handle the job itself), that'd be one thing, but I don't think the Radio Officer aptitude test was a fair way of ruling some amazing people out. And I'm not just talking about the radio officers who applied, who have already been mentioned.

I'm gauging my evidence from people who have personally approach me, to ask about the job. There were people who knew the job better than most who have 25 years of employment at Ballygirreen who didn't make it through the aptitude test stage, and there were people who had no idea in the world about HF, propagation, aviation or co-ordinates who made it to the final interview.
    Sure, you can learn this stuff, but I think it's a great help to already have a good understanding of and interest in the topics. A year is a very short amount of time to start from scratch.

I guess I'd love to have seen a slightly larger amount of people interviewed in person, and less emphasis placed upon a generalised aptitude test.
    This would have made the final interviewing process much easier for the IAA, and perhaps prevented some of the unfair decisions which have been made (some of you will know what I'm referring to here).

In reference to the issue that both Poloman and Oxy1 have referred to;
    I won't get into it apart from saying that I think it's completely wrong, but it was known and completely expected by all from the offset.
    Pity they didn't implement some of the rules that are usually enforced by radio and TV stations when entering competitions.
    I think all it does is further stress what I've said above. But then, all processes are unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Pigdog

Jesus1222 wrote: »
    There is at least 1 candidate who is a qualified aircraft technician who couldn't get a job in his field and decided to apply, he got a final interview and will probably get the job given what I learned from my final interview.

What?

Sorry Jesus, but do you mean that they told you that someone had gotten through? What did you learn in your final interview? If they were telling me, using up the 30 minutes allocated to me, about someone else who got through, I'd be flippin mental!!

No I mean I thought they are looking for people with an aviation
    background. Given its an intensive education process for aircraft
    technician he would have a great chance. I could be wrong, just
    a friend of a friend heard there was somebody with that background
    going for it. Probably shouldn't have mentioned it for privacys sake
    so apologies if he's reading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 abadref

Well the bitterness really comes out now!!!
    If ye didn't get the Job then get over it and move on. Who on earth do ye think ye are to question the IAA's recruitment process.

Grow a pair of balls and congratulate who-ever did and leave it at that..

And good luck with your future careers!:)

• Advertisement

Bitterness??? What bitterness? Was that aimed at me!! If so, you couldn't be further from the truth.

My point was that the interviews seemed short enough, and I misunderstood Jesus1222's post to mean that they had been talking to him about someone else's application during his interview! He set me straight and that was that. There's no bitterness!

Anyway, nobody's heard yet, so it's a bit difficult to congratulate those who are successful! You're ahead of your time abadref!! :D

Pigdog wrote: »
    Bitterness??? What bitterness? Was that aimed at me!! If so, you couldn't be further from the truth.

My point was that the interviews seemed short enough, and I misunderstood Jesus1222's post to mean that they had been talking to him about someone else's application during his interview! He set me straight and that was that. There's no bitterness!

Anyway, nobody's heard yet, so it's a bit difficult to congratulate those who are successful! You're ahead of your time abadref!! :D

I wouldn't mind what he says, he's been banned for being a jackass on this thread before.

Ha ha, yeah, no worries.

I got a registered letter from the IAA in the post this morning! My heart leapt!! Then I realised they were returning my education stuff!! Damn they couldn't have picked a worse time!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Poloman

Editing to hide identity

Sure will, Poloman.

• Advertisement

I'm resigned to failure but still keeping an eye on email, got that registered letter too and had the same experience. *shakes fist*

Finding out whether you have 2 jobs or none is a lot of pressure so best of luck on both counts Poloman.

Editing to hide identity

Ahhh, forget this! This waitin is too hard! I'm off to the beach!! :D

Dont forget your speedos!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kujosHeist

glad to hear ya's got the letter aswel, i was sure it was a bad sign untill i heard! the waiting is killing me though, havent got a wink of sleep all week,
    if i havent heard by four i'm giving them HR a ring, good idead, bad idea?!

There is never any harm in ringing but post back here what they say! I was told it would be the end of this week or early next week before we heard due to paddys day slowing garda vetting down etc... so its possible we wont hear today but I hope we do obviously.

I have slept like a baby as I dont think I got it. The night before my final interview I reckon I got an hours sleep at most though due to nerves. I was wrecked going in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jess_cork

Got a call today at half one offering me a place subject to medical and security clearance.

Best of luck to everyone else!

Well done. Best of luck with it.

I'd say they have contacted everyone due a position
    already via phone in that case, so that's it for me I
    would think.

Congratulations Jess thats some achievement. You must be delighted.

Ya seems so Jesus. No call and no mail either for me. Looks like thats that. Oh well, life goes on.

There's always any prospective ATCO position you can go for. I've never been involved in a process like this before to this stage so I've learned a lot. Looking back I'm absolutely gutted with the interview I did, could have been so much better and I reckon I would have had a much better chance. I was going really well until the last guy too. Looking back I overthought a lot of aspects and lost sight of some others and they turned out to be incredibly important.

I'll sign out here so best of luck to Jess and others who got it, it's an incredible opportunity so make the best of it.

• Advertisement

Well done Jess, all the best. I got the email saying 'thanks, but no thanks' this evening.

It's been a long process, and quite grueling at times. Fair play to all who got through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Libra

Hi there Jess, i just signed on to boards. Only found it recently! Congratulations on the offer. Just to let ya know I got through pending medical and security clearance too. Cmere presuming that all goes ok what do you plan on doing about accommodation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jess_cork

Libra I've PM'd you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Libra

Thanks. Just PM'd you back.

I'll PM you too Jess.

Libra fair play! Its incredible ye were offered that. 1400 people!! Amazing. I was talking to the IAA and I am one of the reserves. Anyone feel like dropping out?? :-)

Editing to delete references. Tx to the responder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

So how's it working out anyone who got in. Did you work the first of many Christmases yet if we are to believe one poster?

Somehow that job passed me by, as did this thread at the time. I might have applied given my background and my lack of a job at the time. Pity it sounds like the whole interview test process was interesting. Probably would have washed out at the aptitude stage. After all I'm only a pilot.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 taro2010

Did anyone get called as part of the new intake recently?

If anyone is interested in sorting out accomodation etc PM me.

Ya Im starting on the 23rd of August. I take it you are as well?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 taro2010

Yes I received the contract yesterday, I didn't want to tempt fate by saying anything before then. Roll on the 23rd.

Advertisement