Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VFC AKs74

Options
  • 08-07-2008 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

I'm really wanting an AK74 and the VFC certainly looks the part but internally Ive heard a few quirks here and there,the review here on boards for example.So I was just wondering if these where lemons or what? I saw it on WGC and it was 410$ or something and on UN-Company it was about 450$, are they different versions? or am I just being paranoid?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

All the same model.

Eirsoft.ie have them I believe, alternatively you can get a kalash aks74, its cheaper but its a clone so may be of a lesser quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

Some people, myself included, have had the motor fail quickly. Many others motors have been running for 2+ years. It's pot luck but it's the same with any airsoft company. The VFC 74 is the best in looks and feel on the market, no question there. Replacing the motor with a TM or Systema and installing metal bushings in the gearbox will remove the risk of failure as every thing else is rock solid (Mine has been running for over a year now with those two upgrades and not one problem). If you are willing to spend the amount for the VFC and about another 40 euro in upgrade parts I'd say go for it.

As Motosam said the Dboy's is a very good clone of the VFC. Not up to the same visual standards or durability but for the much lower price it's a very strong buy.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭General Grobel

Thanks guys,I don't think its worth 400+ when you have to upgrade it.I'm just looking for a good AK externally an internally,any recommendations?

Kalash/dboys then, they are the nicest built clone, after that cymas new line but they are TM style, not as realistically put together.

Eirsoft have dboys aks74 and aks74u, on the 14th of this month they are back from holidays and should have some ak's in stock.

Ive heard internally they need a bit of work,is this true? is it reliable and durable enough?

• Advertisement

I heard from vtec who works there the internals are great, bearing bushes, spring guide etc.

There is a possibility of a fault from manufacture, but that would be covered by the lads at eirsoft, and you'd be grand.

I'm getting a kalash soon too myself, its a new model not out yet though so I have to wait :(

Edit: One thing actually, the hop rubber isn't meant to be great, but thats easily replaced, and is more than likely adequate anyway.

All right cool,I could spend the spare money from the VFC and upgrade it!
    Thanks for your help!

Difficult. No make AK fullfills both looks and reliabilty out of the box.

Tokyo Marui
    Looks: ok, plastic recievers and furniture except on the latest models. Colouring of the body is wrong.
    Performance: Very good, low failure and lemon rate.
    Reliability: Again very good.

VFC
    Looks: Best on the market, realistic takedown, real wood furniture.
    Performance: Excellent.
    Reliability: excellent with light upgrades.

Classic Army
    Looks: ok incorrect finish on 74's, it's matt not gloss, American trademarks not Russian, real wood furniture.
    Performance: very good.
    Reliability: hit and miss.

Inokatsu/RMW Looks: excellent, flawless 47 and AKM blued finish, real wood furniture. These are kits that require a third party gearbox, hop-up and inner barrel.

G&G
    looks: ok incorrect finish on 74's, matt not gloss.
    Performance: good.
    Reliability: stock tang is weak and prone to snapping.

DBoy's (VFC clone)
    Looks: ok incorrect finish, matt not gloss, real wood furniture, incorrect factory stamp, it has Tula instead of Izmash.
    Performance: ok, needs upgrades. Metal bushings, new motor (stock one has very low torque)
    Reliability: Bolt carrier handle is weak and may snap off, gas block takedown lever is weak and may snap off.

Unicorn (Inokatsu/RMW clone)
    Complete cack in every way possible. Avoid like the plague!

JG/CYMA/Army (Tokyo Marui clones)
    Looks: not great, plastic reciever and furniture on all but the latest models. CYMA parts look grey, JG's look purple under certain light.
    Performance: ok-good, most perform quite well. Early versions have plastic bushings, later ones have metal bushings
    Reliability: Good except on the underfolding stock version. The stock mechanism is pot metal and will snap very quickly.

Alot of the latest kalash's have metal bushes or even bearing bushes from stock now, sometimes spring guide too.

The charging handle and take down lever are issues though as above and the motor can do with an upgrade.

With the VFC, what upgrades are really necessary?

• Advertisement

That's true, some are coming out with metal ones now. Although I'd rather have metal bushings then bearings, they last longer. Bearings are only for uber high RoF. Hopefully the new steel line will sort the charging handle and lever issues. They're still be the older alloy ones floating around for sale for a good while though.

With the VFC, what upgrades are really necessary?

Metal bushings. Bog all for a good set, $10.
    Maybe the motor, but as I said you may have no trouble with yours when you get it.

That's it. Doesn't need anything else.

The aks74 in steel should be out in a month.

Now when I say should, I heard that same sh1te 2 months ago. :D

I don't have any experience with gearboxes, perhaps I should buy it and fix it when its broken?

Yeah just pick it up and use it for a while. The plastic bushings should last at least 6 months of use unless you get very unlucky like I did. 2 years ago I wouldn't have gone near the insides of an AEG, now I chop them up and make custom guns. You'll pick it all up over time ;)

Ill take the plunge and buy the VFC, thanks everybody! appreciate it.

Your welcome and good choice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

you have to have a discussion in regard like this at some silly time in the morning :)

anyway al the bases have been covered in what others have said, all i wanted to do was just say vfc also have some of the best ( tbh i don't know any other make that does this ) customer service i;ve come across, i;ve had a number of parts break or issues and i've always had them dealt with by vfc, in one case i had spare parts ship to me free of charge within 3 or 4 days of my first email.

there no point going over what other have said, in regard to vfc all i will say is they can have problems, but in reality all aegs will have some issues, is a balancing act nothing is really perfect out of the box, but i brought 2 dbojs ak clones when they first came out then the ak bug bit after the clones i then went back and brought vfc never looked back.

vfc aks owned...

aks74u ak74u aims ak74m ak105

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭hoplite

I am also considering purchasing an AK soon.

The VFC seems to be the best AK available in Ireland right now and I have seen them up in Tonys and they are nice indeed.

I was seriously considering ordering the VFC Romainian AIMS and may still at some point.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned real sword or possibly not as I dont think any of the Irish retailers have brought them in to date :(

I have read some good things about them and I believe they sit nicely under the joule from the factory.

Specifically this one

http://www.realsword.com.hk/gun_47.htm

56_4en.jpg

or

http://www.realsword.com.hk/gun_47S.htm

56-1_4en.jpg

Pricewise they should be competitive with the VFC now all we need to do is pester a retailer to bring one in. Hmmmm when is Tony back 14th? :D

Yep they are AK 47s not 74s and strictly speaking the Chinese versions.

never mentioned real sowrd as at the mometn they only make ak47s and not a ak74 as the thread was about, but yes real sword make some lovely aks and they are 100% on the to to buy list

• Advertisement

Nah I don't like Chinese copies, its has to be from the motherland:D
    I can get the vfc aks74,a battery,BBs,2 extra mags for 370,not bad, but what would it cost with VAT etc added? oh and will it need to be downgraded?

25% normaly covers all customs and charges at max amount, woudl go for around 460 altogther if that 370 was a euros number and included shipping

Will it need to be downgraded?

my aks74 came in around 300fps with 0.2g, vfc are very much a 1j company althought there lattest ak74m and ak105 have been coming in very close to 330

Ok thanks alot.

Sorry to resurrect the thread, If ordering from WGC is the VFC aks74n guaranteed to be below the 1 joule? I'm asking because on all US sites it appears to be firing around 350 FPS.

never known a vfc aks74 to come in that high, just confirm the j level with the retailer you choose to order from

E-mail wgc to ask for a downgrade.

I'm unsure if they have a web option for this.

with wgc you just have to give them an email once they have quoted you a price for shipping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I have a vfc ak74, it looks and feels very nice, lots of metal and wood, however, mine shoots at about 190fps out of te box and i havent had the time to strip the internals to check it out yet,

Advertisement