Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Match Thread** Tuesday,July 8th @ 21:30 Venue : CLMBS-Boardeaux V Benedictine Monks

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Muck 1st half, and easily the worst football I've ever player. I couldnt even make a f*cking pass.
    Things improved a lot in 2nd half , and we pretty much dominated possession for the whole of second half. As ed says, it there was another 15 minutes in it we probably would have drawn it . 2 very very soft goals conceded, but Im not going to blame the keeper as he was doing us a favour and in fairness pulled off a few decent saves later on.
    If we can start the cup game the same way we finished this game, we'll do well.
    Again, apologies for how sh*t i was, going to have to sort myself out for Fri. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Muck 1st half, and easily the worst football I've ever player. I couldnt even make a f*cking pass.
    Things improved a lot in 2nd half , and we pretty much dominated possession for the whole of second half. As ed says, it there was another 15 minutes in it we probably would have drawn it . 2 very very soft goals conceded, but Im not going to blame the keeper as he was doing us a favour and in fairness pulled off a few decent saves later on.
    If we can start the cup game the same way we finished this game, we'll do well.
    Again, apologies for how sh*t i was, going to have to sort myself out for Fri. :mad:

in all fairness Shay, we were all shi*e in the first half. the switches and art and al coming on, made a difference. we played alot better in the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Think its just time to draw a line under this season and forget about it. Des can use the rest of the games to try out new formations, positions, players, etc I suppose. Depressing stuff really but next season we'll be sorted hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Think its just time to draw a line under this season and forget about it.

Cup game. Friday.

Season ain't over, by a LONG way.

Penos ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I wasn't including the cup as part of that statement :D If we win by penos all the way to the final I'll be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

our attendance rate this year has been shocking myself included, bar 3 or 4 players.also, may i add, alot of it was unavoidable, injuries/work etc. completely different team last night again as 5 or 6 players were missing.

we need 2 or 3 quality players in certain positions, as to where we get them, the next few weeks will tell. we also need 2 more defenders, as last 2 weeks have showed that we are stretched there and have needed players to play out of position in there. we are not far away, but saying that, if we dont get 2/3 new players, we will stay as a team good enough to win it, but only challenging for 3rd or 4th like last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Having to watch from the sideline was always going to be frustrating, but something about this game just made it even more frustrating.

Let's be honest, they're a weak team - I know a few of them too and recognised most of the faces from our previous 3 games against them - I'd say they had 2, maybe 3 new players from last time. Yeh we gifted them 2 goals and missed some decent chances, but they missed 2 sitters from 5 yards too. But the thought I left with was that our performance level tends to have nothing to do with the opposition - when we're on song we can beat anybody but when we're off form it mostly has nothing to do with the opposition - i.e. it's not a case of us getting played off the park by a better team, it's generally that we just don't show up for some reason and end up beating ourselves and it wouldn't matter what level the opposition was, once we're in that mode we won't win.

Good thing is that rarely happens and even when it does, like last night, we still have the right spirit to never let the heads drop and keep on fighting to the end, which is what happened with an excellent turnaround in the 2nd half last night. As Shay said, start that way on Friday and it will really pay off.

I noticed that things were getting a little stroppy both towards the ref and each other coming up to half-time. Inevitable to some extent and was clearly improved on in the second half, but some lads just need to be aware of the need to take responsibility when you make a mistake and don't be looking for an excuse or giving back chat. Take it on the chin and make it right - nobody on this team will criticise for a well intended mistake that you do your best to correct. So channel that frustration into positive things and it will pay off.

It's far to easy to be critical from the sidelines, but take this as an observation not a criticism: some of our players looked at their worst when they had loads of time on the ball. I know exactly the mindset that's due to - you're p1ssed off we're underperforming, feeling self criticial/unsure, and are so eager to win you get rushed and do exactly the wrong thing. It's almost like too much time on the ball didn't suit us last night - more passes went astray under no pressure than did so under pressure. The opposition were by no way a gifted team but they all had a carefree attitude of just getting a foot on it and trying something without fear of the consequences. This league season may be a write-off in terms of league position, but if the remaining games are used to get us to relax and just get back that composure and be comfortable on the ball, it's not a total write-off as that will serve us well for next season.

Credit to Des for the changes in the 2nd half - massive positive impact, and have to say I thought Art had a stormer when he came on.

Advertisement