Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

name for baby girl?? what do you think of....

Options
  • 06-07-2008 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Having some difficulty choosing a girls name for baby 2 due in just 3 weeks.

We would like an irish name

We have come up with following 10 names and would like to test the water here, which would you prefer

if none tickles your fancy please feel free to make your own suggestions

Roisín
    Grainne
    Molly
    Kaitlyn
    Caoimhe
    Teagan
    Alannah
    Cara
    Ava
    Shiona

Thanks

which do you prefer 161 votes

Roisin
    0%
    Grainne
    9%
    MoonbeamKhanniemicrogirllittlebugNextStepslittlebitdullStercus Acciditdeath1234567rainbowtroutlilly03manicmonolithsCobselangelikayellow hencalgary bound 15 votes
    Taegan
    6%
    LudoNevynPherekydesQuacklesBlush_01GrawnsNewApproachTootstinkerbellbabiistillhere08 10 votes
    Molly
    5%
    KnifeWRENCHBlush_01takolanervous_twitchdosedmarti101tinkerbellbabiiMrs.Tthompssn 9 votes
    Kaitlyn
    9%
    doonothinghomerjkcee_jayspinandscribbleCarroller16lilly03Bally8TargetWidowDubArkcobwebm'ladysomethingwittymollydolly271dreamrAcoshla 15 votes
    Caoimhe
    8%
    APMDadesflanzerdeisemumFunkyzeitstovelidbazwaldobored and tirednice1frankobeaushalloerosiectinkerbellbabiiArdgorm 13 votes
    Alannah
    19%
    Pimp NinjaKhannieEyeofthetigerBlush_01cee_jaychrisladKablamo!fullerandmicrogirlbazwaldoBlock G Raptormaceocc2JanuaryMaddisoncathy353ainetnice1frankofugeeNewApproachToots 32 votes
    Cara
    13%
    snickerpussAPMStringhumanjiflanzerQuackleschrisladGLaDOSbazwaldoCarroller16nervous_twitchThumpettelilly03manicmonolithsdlambirlTargetWidowdeebee08marlie2005fiona-fjaycen 21 votes
    Ava
    13%
    snickerpussAPMSleepyOryxDadesEyeofthetigerGLaDOSMcCalvinbarbiegirlCarroller16LillyellaNewApproachmanicmonolithsNAGGIE03Lollipops23QualityAcoshlaAsh_Mmilly4everAudrey* 21 votes
    Shiona
    15%
    APMiggyCathyMoranOryxkizzyrQuacklesLariannecee_jayDinoBottakolanervous_twitchgirliegirlJanuaryeimsRVainetmanicmonolithsBally8kittycatiMinkEvenescent 25 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Shiona
    I like Caoimhe and Ava...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Grainne
    I like Roisin. I also like Caoimhe and Ava but there's quite a few of them around at the minute. You could spell Ava "Aoibhe" to make it more Irishy. Being pedantic it should actually be pronounced "Eva" but I knew some who pronounce it Ava.

I know a Molly spelt "Maille" (I think.. there may be a fada on the a).
    I also know a Shiona spelt "Siodhna".

Other names I like are Muireann, Aisling, Laoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Grainne
    OK, pedant alert...

Roisín: lovely name, should be spelled Róisín (as in rós+ínm little rose).
    Grainne: spelled Gráinne. Nice name too, I think, and you could call her Gráinneog (hedgehog) as a pet name!
    Molly: Irish name?
    Kaitlyn: Would spell it Caitlín myself, the other is a weird hybrid Americanised form that the child will spend her life spelling out for people.
    Caoimhe: meh
    Teagan: like Teagasc, the forestry board?
    Alannah: meh
    Cara: very new-Irishy name, not in the least traditional. But she would have an inflight magazine in her name.
    Ava: makes me think of manga cartoons.
    Shiona: never heard of it.

Róisín's nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

UB wrote: »
    Roisín: lovely name, should be spelled Róisín (as in rós+ínm little rose).

Not a nice name at all
    Grainne: spelled Gráinne. Nice name too, I think, and you could call her Gráinneog (hedgehog) as a pet name!

Or else she will be called 'Ugly' by kids with a basic grasp of the language.
    Kaitlyn: Would spell it Caitlín myself, the other is a weird hybrid Americanised form that the child will spend her life spelling out for people.

Caitlín isn't much easier to spell tbh

Taegan is a shockingly bad name, as is Molly.

Irish names in general tend to be pretty horrible. The only tolerable one really for me is Ciara.

Off your list, Ava is probably the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

How about Niamh? Only problem with it is that while it's fine for any Irish person to pronounce, everyone else doesn't know what way to pronounce it when they first see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Taegan
    I had picked out aoife until I realized it ( and variations ) are 10 a penny. Funny how names suddenly get popular. It's like a collective unconscious thing. Personally I know 4 ciara's in their 30's. And 2 people I know now have called their sons Odhron ( oran) and there are a few Mia's around.

And remember when everyone called their sons Jack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Alannah
    Congratulations and best of luck for the birth!

My daughter is Caoimhe so i'm going for that, i think its gorgeous! My grandfather was kevin (caoimbhain in irish, caoimhe is the female) so that was another reason. I also like Saoirse and Caoilfhionn (kay-lin). I only knew one caoimhe in my lifetime, a girl i went to playschool with when was 3 so i thought it was a really rare name but there's two caoimhes on my road! :D

A lot of people who want irish names want them to be rare, i don't know if this is important to you? A few really rare ones i came across are Aurnia, Labhaoise pronounced low (as in rhymes with now) - vee-sha, and Sadhbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

''Mummy, where did you get my name from?''

''Oh I let a bunch of strangers on the internet choose it''.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Alannah
    Caoimhe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Taegan
    Gráinne is my favourite name. Dearbhla and Niamh are tied for second. In fact, I'm a sucker for any Irish names. They're all lovely, especially the girls' names.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Taegan is a shockingly bad name, as is Molly.

I think we usually go by others with the same name. The only Teagan i've heard of is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/gad123/TeaganPresleyImage.jpg

As such, respectfully disagree :D

On topic, i think this has to be a fairly ridiculous idea, i thought the concept of naming a baby was meant to mean something to the prospective parents, sure you might as well let someone else pick it at this rate!!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Cara
    I think we usually go by others with the same name. The only Teagan i've heard of is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/gad123/TeaganPresleyImage.jpg

As such, respectfully disagree :D

I now think that that's the best name ever!

Personally, I like the softer names (phonetically, that is) like Alanah, Ava or Shiona. The others seem a little too harsh sounding. But, as has been pointed out, shouldn't you be doing the deciding the name yourself, instead of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

thanks for all your comments guys and gals most appreciated

yes we will be choosing the names ourselves of the ten names in the list there is only 3 we are seriously considering. I thought of poll really just to garner opinion as our other girls name is erin(first born) and that suddenly appeared on the radar a week before she was born and was suggested by a friend. we love the name now and are really delighted it was suggested to us. prior to this we had firmed on neilia/neela. with a 2 year old in tow now we dont seem to be getting out at all now sadly so less people to discuss it with,

i know its the first question i ask when a baby is born what are they calling it, the next been mmm do i like that name? sometimes you hate it sometimes you like it and sometimes after a while you are sudenly turned in your opinion of it

as an aside im sure it would be an interesting thread if we were asked how exactly we all came up with the names for our children.

just thinking i should of really sounded out the names as well i.e how they are pronounced

teagan: yes was a bit put off by first name that appeared on google search for it:o,but it can be spelt differntly it is actually derived from tadgh which is irish version of timothy and means wise poet or lovely if using english spelling of it. if we were to use it would spell it teigin

roisin: its one you either like or hate, thanks for giving me correct irish spelling was a bit put off it last night watching some current events programme late last night on rte to see roisin shortall the labour spokesperson, fickle i know but these are the things that hapen when you think about things too much

cara: yes still liking this dont mind the inflight magazine thing our other daughter has the whole erin soups thing and dont worry she will be well able to handle that

ava: initially didnt like it as wasnt irish but have warmed to it, thanks again to poster who suggested irish version(loosely)"Aoibhe" i never considered that

caoimhe: still liking

shiona: can also be spelt shona but a friend has already used this name, anyone know if their is any unwritten etiquette on this?

alanah: only one of us likes but you never know

grainne: ditto above

molly: not really a runner

Kaitlyn:
    Kaitlyn: Would spell it Caitlín myself, the other is a weird hybrid Americanised form that the child will spend her life spelling out for people
    noted thanks

thanks again to all who posted

of the other names suggested
    Other names I like are Muireann, Aisling, Laoise.

im off to research Laoise:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭bored and tired

Caoimhe
    just to throw it in there, not remotely irish, and hating the relationship to miss goody,
    but Jade means a mothers most precious jewel. i think its meaning is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Shiona
    I know a little girl called Cíana (Sounds like Sienna) & I've always thought it was pretty and not common.
    Oisín anyone? I think you can use for girl or boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Alannah
    I've met two babies this week called aoibheann which is an irish ava i think. Thats pretty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mink wrote: »
    Oisín anyone? I think you can use for girl or boy

The single worst name ever. There was thread in AH a while back on worst names and that was my suggestin. Disgusting sounding thing.

Please don't give your kid such a bad start in life. A girl called Oisín? :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Alannah
    Our little one's called Róisín. Note that people from the north pronounce is rosheen (like "posh" except with an r at the start). We call her Róis a lot (r-oh-sh). I think it's a beautiful name (naturally :)). Her gran didn't like it at first, but of course that all changes about 10 seconds after she met her.

edit: I should point out that I think a lot of it depends on your surname. We discounted Caoimhe (though I think it's a very nice name) because my surname starts with a C.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oh well , okay

Ava - Nearest actual Irish name is Ailbhe which comes from Olive . Have a niece called this but my own 1 year old calls her Ava - even when she's not there - think he's just chuffed to be able to pronounce something .

Incidentaly he has another girl cousin called Saoirse ( pronounced seersha - means freedom ) which he calls seesaw .

Know a Caoimhe too but he can't pronounce that yet - lovely name though .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Taegan
    Caoimhe Pronounced kwee va and especially keeva means who goes ( qui va?) in french? Nice name for a baby, IMHO a bit twee for an adult.

Bring back Gráinne ( not biased much!)

• Advertisement

Alannah
    Khannie wrote: »
    Our little one's called Róisín.

Remembered something last night.....before deciding on Róisín, we asked a girl called Róisín if she liked her name (she does) and if she'd had any hassle with it abroad (nothing worth mentioning really).

Also, the Irish meaning is nice "little rose".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭dreamr

Kaitlyn
    i like Molly. Its just such a cute name for a little girl. and Teagen is my second. But i'd love to call my girl by like a boy/girl name like Rylie, Alex or Max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Jeez pick it yourself as PARENTS!

What you gonna be on here in two years asking which school is better?!

Child: How'd you pick my name?

You: Someone on the internet suggested it.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Grainne
    dreamr wrote: »
    i like Molly. Its just such a cute name for a little girl.

Yes, but she will be a grown woman for far longer than she is a cute little girl.

Alannah
    Predhead wrote: »
    You: Someone on the internet suggested it.

That's not the case at all. The OP is looking for input on a range of names that was in the first post. If you can't provide any useful, on topic input then stay out of the thread tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Molly
    I think have a look on a website that has names and you ill see what has been popular for the last couple of years.You might also see a name that you hadnt thought of.Also you will know the right name the minute you see baby as some names wont suit baby.I called my ds Ryan even though i really liked Jaden it just didnt suit him.And write out the name including middle and last names just so that it doesnt spell something rude:p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Ava
    Caomihe is beautiful, as is Molly, I love Cara. I was given an unusual name and I love it. I never had huge issues with it. It's a combination of both grandmothers names and maybe because of this I just felt it was special.
    Many times an emotional response to a name, especially one you really hate, has to do with someone you dislike or had traits you don't like, eg I like the name Caroline but could never call a girl Caroline because I went to school with 3 of them and each had aspects to their personalities I wouldn't want my child to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭somethingwitty

Kaitlyn
    Well my favourite name ever is Sive, or Sadhbh... it means 'sweetness'....
    Or if you wanted to stick to your list, Id say Molly. Even though I love Irish names.... Molly would be a bit different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Evenescent

Shiona
    I picked Ava

But go for Eabha

Very pretty :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Evenescent

Shiona
    LolaDub wrote: »
    I've met two babies this week called aoibheann which is an irish ava i think. Thats pretty too.

Aoibheánn can be used for Yvonne :)

Eabha for Ava :)

Advertisement