Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boy Racer On L Plates Car Confiscated.

Options
  • 04-07-2008 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

The guards in New Ross confiscated a boy racers car last night because he was on L plates without a qualified driver in the car.

I suspect its as a consequence of the terrible accident in New Ross last weekend. A passanger was killed when 2 boy racers were racing each other on the back road and one clipped the other causing the car to flip.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I hope it lasts longer than the usual kneejerk reaction from the higher officers. Nice to see it happening though, always warms my cold cold heart! :D

I reckon the accompanying driver rule should be enforced thoroughly, the accompanying driver might be able to stem the moments of utter stupidity that can be so prevalent in all of us when we were learning to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I hope it lasts longer than the usual kneejerk reaction from the higher officers. Nice to see it happening though, always warms my cold cold heart! :D

+1.

Great idea.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

The guards in New Ross confiscated a boy racers car last night because he was on L plates without a qualified driver in the car.

I suspect its as a consequence of the terrible accident in New Ross last weekend. A passanger was killed when 2 boy racers were racing each other on the back road and one clipped the other causing the car to flip.

lol

i love how people can tell who a boy racer is

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

theres no definition of a boy racer but everyone knows 1 when they c one i used to be like that and now when i'm driving on some roads i think its crazy some of the places i used to overtake

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Was the car confiscated because he was a learner without L plates or accompanying driver or because the car may not have been roadworthy or for some other reason?
    Can the gardai confiscate a car because the driver isn't abiding by the new licencing rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

i love how people can tell who a boy racer is

It's the guy in the Glanza with the bodykit.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

kbannon wrote: »
    Can the gardai confiscate a car because the driver isn't abiding by the new licencing rules?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i remember reading somewhere that they would not be confiscating cars as the Gardaí would not have the resources to store them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

I reckon the accompanying driver rule should be enforced thoroughly, the accompanying driver might be able to stem the moments of utter stupidity that can be so prevalent in all of us when we were learning to drive.

We just need to copy the UK's rules imo. Insurance is void if there is no accompanying driver. That'll learn em!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Give them a driving ban for 4 years and a 5k fine..
    That should give them something to think about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i remember reading somewhere that they would not be confiscating cars as the Gardaí would not have the resources to store them.

Id say they confiscated it because he took his L plates off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

About fecking time to !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

There is absolutely NO way of knowing why it was confiscated unlesss you were talking to the Garda who did it.

It could have been...
    -no tax
    -no insurance
    -no nct
    -generally "unsafe" in some way
    -he coulda been drunk
    -the car could have been stolen
    -provisional driver without a license

• Registered Users Posts: 64,795 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yeah, we need a link here, OP. Otherwise it didn't happen. I'll leave this open for a day or so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Guardai should take all boyracer and skanger cars irrespective whether they have full licences or not tbh.

there, I said it..:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Gardai cannot seize a car if learner driver is unaccompanied, if the driver is drunk and we cannot seize a car for no NCT either. A car can only be seized under traffic laws for no insurance or no tax or if it is defective. A vehicle can also be seized if it was used in crime, if items in the car are believed to be stolen etc.

mthd wrote: »
    We just need to copy the UK's rules imo. Insurance is void if there is no accompanying driver. That'll learn em!

+1

but either the insurance companies or the government would have to sort this one out. I believe the insurance companies are legally required to insure a person as long as they have a licence

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hanley wrote: »
    There is absolutely NO way of knowing why it was confiscated unlesss you were talking to the Garda who did it.

What about if someone was talking to the lad it was taken from ?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

TheNog wrote: »
    Gardai cannot seize a car if learner driver is unaccompanied, if the driver is drunk and we cannot seize a car for no NCT either. A car can only be seized under traffic laws for no insurance or no tax or if it is defective. A vehicle can also be seized if it was used in crime, if items in the car are believed to be stolen etc.

Are you a guard?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

FruitLover wrote: »
    It's the guy in the Glanza with the bodykit.

Some glanza's cost money, and alot of the drivers pay high insurance premiums for those cars.

It's the fella who drives like he owns a ferrari in the white 92 ex-taxi corrolla with over a million on the clock, the biggest, most ugly and cheapest wheels they can find, "toyota" written on the windscreen, speed stripes and a back box that makes it sound like a tractor.
    They are the boy racers of our generation:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

vectra wrote: »
    What about if someone was talking to the lad it was taken from ?:confused:

Down the pub, over some pints. Just after the same guy turned down Cameron Diaz cos he was getting it on with Jessica Alba?? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

How do you know this? A friend told you?

This is like when the smoking ban came in, remember all those threads about people getting caught smoking and having to pay the 3000 euro fine.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

unkel wrote: »
    Yeah, we need a link here, OP. Otherwise it didn't happen. I'll leave this open for a day or so...

I dont know the detail but three people who work with me from New Ross were all aware of it on Friday morning. I'm not from New Ross but perhaps somebody else on the forum might be able to elaborate on the detail. I'll find out more on Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

A car can be siezed for not having An NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I thought these new laws were "traffic laws".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Good to hear them towing that car away, regardless if it was because he was a boyracer or not...One less inconsiderate driver of the road thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

yayamark wrote: »

Under what law ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

mthd wrote: »

No ****ing way.

Consider the following scenario:

L-driver with no accompanying causes accident...causing horrific injuries to another road-user. Why should the victim be faced with either :

a) Having their own insurance to foot the bill
    or
    b) No insurance footing the bill.

I would suggest the Swiss approach. Insurance is still valid for third-party-claims, but the insurance company can then claim between 40% and 70% of any pay-out back from the driver. This is enforced by law, to the extend that the driver is required to materialise any and all available assets and if that is insufficient is entitled to nothing more than subsistence earnings until such times as the debt is repaid.

If that means losing their car, their house, their lifes savings, and living off less than what the Dole would give them until such times as the debt is repaid, then thats what they do.

That will learn them.

Oh - and its off-topic...but drunk-drivers get the same treatment.

yayamark wrote: »

That's not correct. A car cannot be seized for no NCT. A car can only be seized if there is no tax or insurance under Section 41 of the Road Traffic Act 1994

A car cannot be seized if the driver is unaccompanied or if there is no L plates displayed or both. There is no section of the traffic laws that empower gardai to seize a car under these situations. However the garda should not allow a person to continue to drive because the garda would be implicated in allowing that person to break the law. The only reasonable solutions is either have that person leave the car on the roadside or bring it to the station to be picked up later by the owner or a person with a full licence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The car can also be siezed under VRT legislation in the Finance act.

AFAIK, it can also be 'removed' if it's deemed to be parked illegally / dangerously or causing an obstruction.

Advertisement