Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas

Options
  • 04-07-2008 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

Can somebody explain to me all the different types of gas and what the best one is.
    They're all wrecking my head.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

hfc134a is a weaker gas, aka duster gas.

Its used in some platic framed japanese gbb's.

Green gas is a stronger gas based on propane, in fact it is propane just with the smell removed and some silicon oil in it.
    Green gas or propane can be used in metal framed gbb's.

Then there is winter green, a stronger variety again for cold weather, and then red gas.
    There is some debate if winter green is actually stronger than propane.

Generally here we use hfc134a or green/propane.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

So since it has no weather restrictions, why doesn't everybody just use red gas?

Would bring alot of guns over 328 fps, and if it didn't, its just not that common here.

I use bog standard propane, I just find it handy to be able to get gbb gas in the local hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Motosam wrote: »

Generally here we use hfc134a or green/propane.

That's all you need to know really. Unless it's a very fragile gbb, I'd use green/propane. I've been using green for ages now in my KSC G19 (plastic/metal frame, plastic slide) and I haven't had a problem yet.

Motosam wrote: »
    Would bring alot of guns over 328 fps, and if it didn't, its just not that common here.

I use bog standard propane, I just find it handy to be able to get gbb gas in the local hardware.

I've seen it on an Irish airsoft site.
    Is it that dodgy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

its not 'dodgy' but any gas operated airsoft device's fps can fluctuate greatly depending on conditions, even thought we have low ambient temperatures winter gas still can push it over the edge at times, better to be safe in most cases

I've seen it on an Irish airsoft sight.
    Is it that dodgy?

I think KD did a mini review on it, its not much more powerful than green.

http://www.airsofthacks.com/2008/06/mini-review-et2200-super-power-green-gas-red-gas/

Evidently not at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

even most ABS pistols will take the green in our temp. only one ive seen fail on green gas was the KWC P99, i use an ABS M1911 and its perfect. love them thing., :)

I just hate the way the mag freezes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

vtec wrote: »
    even most ABS pistols will take the green in our temp. only one ive seen fail on green gas was the KWC P99, i use an ABS M1911 and its perfect. love them thing., :)

I saw that! It was teh lulz, although probably not for the unfortunate owner.

I just hate the way the mag freezes.

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

You're gonna have to get used to it then. Basic physics tells you that you can't have low temperature evaporation at high flow rates without an endothermic response to the gas container. It's either get used to it, or switch to aep's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

*shameless self-pimping*

I wrote an article on the different kinds of airsoft gas a while ago: http://www.airsofthacks.com/2007/12/got-gas-airsoft-gas-whats-what/ It was originally inspired by this thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055202273

As Motosam linked to above, the "red" gas which airsofteire have is actually green gas, it even lists the contents as being primarily propane.

As of yet, I cant find any store that has actual red gas in stock, redwolf did have some, but it's now discontinued on their site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 speedychicken

does propane only work on gbb guns as i have a pistol which is non blow back but is .72 joules would I be able to use propane for it?

ps..with the adapter of course

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

if it normally takes green gas, then you can use propane in it just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

kdouglas wrote: »
    if it normally takes green gas, then you can use propane in it just fine.

And it works out cheaper than buying Green gas, and you can get it in any hardware shop. All you need is the adapter which you can get from most of the online/bricks and mortar shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Speaking of Gas...I've been tempted to buy a 1j C02 GBB.

Anyone got an idea of just how many shots you get our of the C02 cartridge?
    Have heard 3-4 mags with a 12oz C02 cartridge.

Also what about cool down is it less that 134a and propane?
    ie can you fire more shots before you have to worry about cool down.

The GBB is all metal and am guessing is stronger built to withstand the higher
    pressure. Also wondering about the Kick back will it be much more than a propane
    powered gun,

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭AirsoftEire.com

From experience in the past, I found that standard Crossman CO2 cylinders gave approx 50 shots on an old Desert Eagle GBB pistol.
    Things may be different now, but I can't see there being much of a variation.

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

From experience in the past, I found that standard Crossman CO2 cylinders gave approx 50 shots on an old Desert Eagle GBB pistol.
    Things may be different now, but I can't see there being much of a variation.

Steve

Wow surprising low! wonder why people bother with them at all then.
    Thanks for the info.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

i use co2 and find it to be alot more consistant and as the cold co2 bubbles get removed after each refill, cooldown doesnt effect the gun in the same way as with propane/green gas guns.

i just find the the co2 is just less hassle aswell. i've had a tonne of different pistols and the only one i never had any problems with getting a full mag of bb's out of is the co2 one.

i've recently found a cheap source of the co2 bubbles too. 200 bubbles delivered for less then 100euro. and 500 for less then 200euro.
    i'll be starting a thread in relation to a bulk order soon too.

i've had a tonne of different pistols and the only one i never had any problems with getting a full mag of bb's out of is the co2 one.

Is it that big of a problem!?!?!?`

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

not with all pistols but i have found that from time to time (especially when its cold) i fgas a mag and get less then the full mag out of it before reloading. it gets worse the more you re-gas the mags as they freeze. with the co2 guns, the co2 bubble freezes and not the mag itself so when the co2 is empty, you just dump the co2 bubble and start with a fresh one. no cool down problems

Advertisement