Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public transport too expensive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

ardmacha wrote: »
    Would it? There and back is 500km, say you use 6L/100km then that's 30 litres of juice, which costs pretty much €40 these days. Add in the M4 toll, if you go that way and you'd have €45, not far off €47.

but you can leave when you want, stop when you want, dont have to worry about a seat, or the remnants of some stag night acting the boll*x around you. etc, to me they are worth more than the saving, if the ticket was half the price I'd be twice as inclined to use public transport, that goes for DB too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

IanCurtis wrote: »
    You buy a house miles out of Dublin and then complain about the transport :rolleyes:

Typical Irish idiotic attitude

Wow!
    Where did that come from?
    I live 25 miles from my work place which I get to in 30 mins by car.

my post was about the relative cost of public transport compared to motoring.

I'm not an idiot

thanks for your reply though... your a class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

OTK wrote: »

Yes, most people ignore the 10% depreciation and the 5% loan interest/loss of interest on capital. So what's your car worth? Get 15% of that figure and that's your first underestimate of car costs.
    I would be amazed if this is not an underestimate.

Doesn't add up. 25e gets you 19 litres of petrol. If you have a 1 litre car and drive gently you'll use maybe 6.5 litres/100km. That's 292 km per month or 3,500 km per year.

In 3 years, a car that's in use should have had two minor services and one major service, regardless of mileage. That's at least 700e

a lot of valid points, cheers, I guess my post was a bit flippant, the 25e is for work _only_ where I would be only using the bus for the same. I wasn't including any petrol cost's outside of work. I bought the car with cash so no interest costs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

ntlbell wrote: »
    I bought the car with cash so no interest costs ;)

But you could have invested that money and earn interest on it. Your car is worth less and less every day. So you have lost interest on your capital, and 'invested' it in a depreciating asset. Most people overlook these as costs of motoring.

Saruman - you mentioned that outside of Dublin, you would still need to own a car even if commuting by public transport. That's often true in Dublin too (wife takes the bus, I ride a motorbike, but we still have a car for shopping trips etc.) but it means one car per household not two or more, and it will cover a lot less mileage during the week and cost less.

I suppose if we really, really had to we could do without the car but the inconvenience would be a hassle. The car does less than 5000 miles a year and is a 1.4 so won't break the bank even if petrol doubles.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

just to recap over my weekend...

Train to longford 31:50
    petrol for trip (longford to westport) 20 euro ( i got 200 miles out of it)
    train back to dublin 31:50

how is this right? i had to spend 4 hours on the train coming back my record for the car jorney is 1:50 mins???? why should i use the trains? buses are even slower... i dont see why people should use public transport.. its slow smelly sitting beside people who are mostle knobs...

ill be driving from now on!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

anto-t wrote: »

how is this right? i had to spend 4 hours on the train coming back my record for the car jorney is 1:50 mins???? why should i use the trains? buses are even slower... i dont see why people should use public transport.. its slow smelly sitting beside people who are mostle knobs...

Is that a price (31.50). If so then you are mistaken. Day return to longford is 10e.

no its not... thats if you travel before 1pm

no its not... thats if you travel before 1pm

If this man was going to wesport and back in a day I think its reasonable that he might leave before 1 is it not. Tbh you're probably better off driving, but it would cost you more if you left before 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

ninja900 wrote: »
    But you could have invested that money and earn interest on it. Your car is worth less and less every day. So you have lost interest on your capital, and 'invested' it in a depreciating asset. Most people overlook these as costs of motoring.

I'm not overlooking anything I'm pointing out I don't have any added cost's by financing a loan...

as i said at the start, I'm obviously leaving out the cost of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Return ticket to Carraig-on-Shannon is no more than €35.50 and it's further up line from Longford. Bit silly to have to buy two singles.

May I be so bold as to ask what car you drove at the weekend? Any car that gets 200 miles from €20 (about 15.5 litres) these days sounds like economic heaven!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hamndegger wrote: »
    May I be so bold as to ask what car you drove at the weekend? Any car that gets 200 miles from €20 (about 15.5 litres) these days sounds like economic heaven!
    Its a bit shorter - 132km x 2 = 264km = 164 miles

www.viamichelin.com suggest €14.84 each way for a family car @ €1.30/litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I think public transport in Ireland is v cheap (compared to Britain anyway). A similar length journey as that Dublin to Westport in Britain would be considerably more

i went down on friday... and came back on monday..

i have the two tickets here both for E31:50

it was a 1.8L ford fiesta van deisel... and i drove the balls out it so i was suprised with the fuel ecomomy..

i have the two tickets here both for E31:50
    Ah, yes: Public transport too expensive ... when you buy the wrong tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

RuggieBear wrote: »
    I think public transport in Ireland is v cheap (compared to Britain anyway). A similar length journey as that Dublin to Westport in Britain would be considerably more
    Britain is notorious of ripping you off if there is no competition. EG Stanstead express vs Gatwick. Both are are about 45 minutes from the city but Stanstead can charge up to 25 return while Gatwick is 18 with a free all day 6 zone travel pass included for an extra quid. One can get around quite cheaply if you know the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I think commuter public transport is ok in terms of price, not great but its bearable.

But the intercity train prices are crazy.

Bus prices between the cities are fair though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I think the train is incredible value here compared to Britain. I used to travel up and down from Leicester to St Pancras...1 hr 20mins and it used to be the bones of £70 sterling return unless you booked a month in advance when it became 17.50.

Had to do Liverpool to London once which was over £100

Victor wrote: »
    Ah, yes: Public transport too expensive ... when you buy the wrong tickets.
    how was it the wrong tickets? i used the ticket sellers at westport and connolly ... what is the right price for the tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

how was it the wrong tickets? i used the ticket sellers at westport and connolly ... what is the right price for the tickets?

You could have bought a return which is usually only a few euro more than the price of a single.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

markpb wrote: »
    You could have bought a return which is usually only a few euro more than the price of a single.

The problem here is that anto-t was travelling on two different routes, which would not be the usual travel pattern.

I'm not sure if there is any station on the Sligo route that is in the same zone as Westport whereby a ticket would be valid for the return journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I think the train is incredible value here compared to Britain. I used to travel up and down from Leicester to St Pancras...1 hr 20mins and it used to be the bones of £70 sterling return unless you booked a month in advance when it became 17.50.

Had to do Liverpool to London once which was over £100
    Ya but just because its good value COMPARED to the UK doesn't mean its good value, were all aware that you get ripped off in the UK.

When you compare or prices to continental Europe were a disgrace, I remember travelling around German there 2 years ago, not only was the service brillaint but the price is affordable for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Isn't the average income before tax about 20% lower in Germany than the average income in Ireland? Also, aren't their taxes considerably higher?

KC61 wrote: »
    The problem here is that anto-t was travelling on two different routes, which would not be the usual travel pattern.
    No, trainwise he was coming and going from Longford. Actually he seem to be be ambiguous.

In any case, with a return ticket, you are allowed return on adjacent routes without surcharge. See appendix here: http://www.platform11.org/resources/IE_conditions_of_carriage_2004.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 FocusIreland

daily ticket from Naas to Dublin is e7.50 which i found its a little bit expensive alright. 5 euro should be ok cause i cost the same on my bike. my bike is always faster than the bus. bike cost 50 mins total since i got up from my bed and bus cost nearly 2 and half hour cause i have to drive to the bus stop then walk to where i want to go in town.
    if u use bus 6 days a week then its 45 euro. a month more than 180 euro for just one people. buy a weekly ticket wont give u a big saving. i m even thinking about moving back to dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would be very content with CIE's pricing for Dublin and Greater Dublin area, but I think they make a big deal out of it if it is any way outside this catchment area, It is like the old "Trunk Call" ratings that the P&T used to charge us for making a call out of Dublin. Just because you board a different colour bus that travels twice the distance as a city bus shouldnt mean that they should charge you well over triple the fare.

People commute daily from these catchment areas. People must still remember that CIE is still alive and well and has the monopoly for most of the bus fleet in this country. The rail service is worse again with their pricing structure as they often charge twice the price for different journeys of the same distance out of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Morgans

I think commuting rail is cheap, and good value. Obviously to a varying degree depending on circumstance.

But the like for like comparison of whether it is cheaper to drive or to use public transport is wrong. Generally from those defending public transport here, it seems that, on a one-for-one basis, its acceptable that the cost of public transport (bus, train) should roughly equal the cost of driving. I dont think this should be the case. It should be far cheaper to go by public transport.

Meself, girlfirend, and friend needed to travel to Cork recently for a wedding. Thought about the train - over 200 all in, maybe even closer to 250. Bus could get us within 15 miles ish of destination and didnt really suit. There really was only one option. Should public transport beween major irish cities cost more than flying between them. Anyway, we drove. The more carpooling/multiple travellers in cars makes a huge difference. To go alone, I'd guess it is still somewhat cheaper by car, but not a whole pile.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If people commute regularly I'm amazed that more of them dont have the tax free tickets.

Alot of the people in my office commute every day but only 1 or 2 have the annual ticket. There is a system there for saving money but people just dont use it

Morgans wrote: »
    I think commuting rail is cheap, and good value. Obviously to a varying degree depending on circumstance.

But the like for like comparison of whether it is cheaper to drive or to use public transport is wrong. Generally from those defending public transport here, it seems that, on a one-for-one basis, its acceptable that the cost of public transport (bus, train) should roughly equal the cost of driving. I dont think this should be the case. It should be far cheaper to go by public transport.

Meself, girlfirend, and friend needed to travel to Cork recently for a wedding. Thought about the train - over 200 all in, maybe even closer to 250. Bus could get us within 15 miles ish of destination and didnt really suit. There really was only one option. Should public transport beween major irish cities cost more than flying between them. Anyway, we drove. The more carpooling/multiple travellers in cars makes a huge difference. To go alone, I'd guess it is still somewhat cheaper by car, but not a whole pile.
    You'd be better off with ryanair if you're going to cork, you could save a bundle. Out of interest where were you going from. 75e each on the train is extorsion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

kearnsr wrote: »
    Alot of the people in my office commute every day but only 1 or 2 have the annual ticket. There is a system there for saving money but people just dont use it

Unfortunately a lot of companies aren't interested in taking part. Even when they're told of the PAYE discount, they couldn't be bothered with the effort.

• Advertisement

I would be very content with CIE's pricing for Dublin and Greater Dublin area, but I think they make a big deal out of it if it is any way outside this catchment area, It is like the old "Trunk Call" ratings that the P&T used to charge us for making a call out of Dublin. Just because you board a different colour bus that travels twice the distance as a city bus shouldnt mean that they should charge you well over triple the fare.
    There is a problem insofar as Irish Rail use the same fares as Dublin Bus in the Dublin Bus area and Dublin Bus fares are kept low by the Department of Transport.

Advertisement