Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baseball Betting

Options
  • 03-07-2008 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭

On Betfair at the moment and just looking around in the baseball section! Beside teams there's a players name in brackets beside it when looking at the odd's....anybody know what that is about?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Yerac

I presume it would be the starting pitcher for that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

That's what I was thinking alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Yeah it is..The starting pitcher plays a pretty vital role in determining the outcome of a baseball game. FWIW making money on baseball betting is exceptionally tough and the variance is rather crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Was one game off €736 on a €4 accumulator on 8 games!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 C2828

If the quoted pitcher doesnt end up starting the game your bet is void - happened to me. Thought I had won a bet which I found out had been voided so I queried it & it turns out to be stated in the rules on the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 beat2416

I always enjoyed baseball betting. One of the best/most frustrating sports to watch with money on it. i found it actually pretty easy to keep myself from loosing money on it when he teams were playing in there own leagues, when the american and national league mixed it up for awhile there it was next to impossible, but i find on a regular night you should be able to get a 3 team accum to cover another bet of about 5-6 teams which should give around a 10-14/1 return.

and the named pitcher is the scheduled starting pitcher, has to at least pitch once for bets to stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Kansas City Royals (Greinke) v Detroit Tigers (Jackson) tomorrow night at an amazing 21/20!

Get on it, Greinke is 13 and 8 for the season and arguably the best pitcher in the league this year with an astonishing 2.19ERA.

Detroit have lost 5 in a row against the Royals and are currently 3-2 down against them bottom of the 6th tonight.

Seriously think this is too good a price to pass by, look out for the first-half betting price which will probably be around evens but won't get posted up on PP until tomorrow.

8-10 wrote: »
    Kansas City Royals (Greinke) v Detroit Tigers (Jackson) tomorrow night at an amazing 21/20!

Get on it, Greinke is 13 and 8 for the season and arguably the best pitcher in the league this year with an astonishing 2.19ERA.

Detroit have lost 5 in a row against the Royals and are currently 3-2 down against them bottom of the 6th tonight.

Seriously think this is too good a price to pass by, look out for the first-half betting price which will probably be around evens but won't get posted up on PP until tomorrow.

I guess nobody really cared about this. Easy win for Greinke though as expected. Kansas win 9-2. Zack got loads of support today and 21/20 was really free money.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090917&content_id=7014634&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Here does anyone actually bet on baseball here? I'm just curious because I have my subscription to MLB.tv and watch about a game a day on average. I'm not claiming to be an expert but I'm happy to post tips regularly if there's interest? If not I don't want to waste my time but I bet on it most days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Here does anyone actually bet on baseball here

I do & a Red Sox fan.

You?

In_tuition wrote: »
    I do & a Red Sox fan.

You?

Yep Sox fan, went to college in Boston(well, near). I've been working this season on betting on pitchers over 5 innings, mainly Verlander, Halladay, Greinke, Cain, Billingsley, Santana and Cliff Lee. Also started on Beckett sometimes but never get decent odds on Red Sox.

If you can get evens or better for these pitchers I'd take it. Look further into the opposing pitcher and circumstance and you can get some very good prices from time to time. Not something I'd bet on lightly that's for sure but it makes it interesting to watch. Of course it's near the end of the regular season now!

• Advertisement

I lived in Boston for 3 years. As like everyone else fell in love with them. It's a fantastic sport to watch and you appreciate it a lot more when you realise how difficult it is to play. On most sports I tend to bet small for an interest, I try not to take my baseball betting too serious as the swings can be compared to that of the omaha form of poker. But with all betting markets sometimes there is an angle there to be exploited and if you find one by all means post it up. I find it difficult to bet on someone else's thoughts but from time to time some people do actually know more about a situation than you do so it's good to have all views on board.

Well done on the Kansas selection, I did view it but swerved against it as Jackson is very unpredictable plus the Tigers needed a win going into the series against the Twins. That was a tough loss for them yesterday and opens the door for the Twins, who have won 4 on the trot and 4 games behind now and home field advantage this weekend.

PP offering 3/2 on Cardinals +1.5 tonight??? Personally with Wainwright on the mound I'd have put the handicap the other way!

Personally I'm taking Cardinals over 5 innings (called 1st Half Match Betting on PP) @ 20/23 and that's my big tip today.

I'm sorry I don't have time to do a write up on the pitchers but to be honest it's probably too late in the day for anyone to be on here and interested enough to read up and bet.

But for information purposes I'll list odds. I personally expect both Red Sox and Cardinals to win by 2 or more runs tonight.

My bets: 10 each on Cardinals 1st Half @ 20/23 and Red Sox -1.5 @ 6/4

Lester is in great form, from a recent mlb.com article
    The 25-year-old hopes to carry over the momentum of a sparkling season, in which he was 15-8 with a 3.41 ERA with 225 strikeouts.
    One reason he is taking the ball in Game 1 is that he got stronger as the season progressed. Since the All-Star break, Lester is 7-2 with a 2.82 ERA. Down the stretch, he was even tougher. In his final six starts, he went 5-1 with a 2.52 ERA.

He also pitched game 1 last year and allowed only the one run in a 4-1 victory over the same team.

So actually thinking about it I'm going to put 25 instead of 10 on Boston -1.5. ;)

Betfair offer Cardinals -1.5 @ 2.6 and evens without the handicap.

It's your call, but I wouldn't post here unless I was feeling very good about these bets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 lemonhead77

Just found this thread, i also have a subscription with MLB.TV, gotta love the baseball. Im a cubs fan though so it hurts sometimes...lol.

I didnt see the Cards game but just the result, shocking that they are down 2 games, with their strong offence they should be bankers for the next games in St.Loius, have not seen the pitchers list yet thoguh. will be a very good thread to keep an eye on throughout the playoff's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

PP offering 3/2 on Cardinals +1.5 tonight??? Personally with Wainwright on the mound I'd have put the handicap the other way!

Personally I'm taking Cardinals over 5 innings (called 1st Half Match Betting on PP) @ 20/23 and that's my big tip today.

I'm sorry I don't have time to do a write up on the pitchers but to be honest it's probably too late in the day for anyone to be on here and interested enough to read up and bet.

But for information purposes I'll list odds. I personally expect both Red Sox and Cardinals to win by 2 or more runs tonight.

My bets: 10 each on Cardinals 1st Half @ 20/23 and Red Sox -1.5 @ 6/4

Lester is in great form, from a recent mlb.com article

He also pitched game 1 last year and allowed only the one run in a 4-1 victory over the same team.

So actually thinking about it I'm going to put 25 instead of 10 on Boston -1.5. ;)

Betfair offer Cardinals -1.5 @ 2.6 and evens without the handicap.

It's your call, but I wouldn't post here unless I was feeling very good about these bets.

Just goes to show what a frustrating game it is, Lester was good and still got beaten fairly easily. I'm too lazy to check but I'm pretty sure the Cards bet lost with minimum of drama too?

I'd stay away from the games, personally I've layed 50 on the Yankees for the World Series, i didn't think A-Rod and the pitchers had the bottle, it'll be interesting to see how it goes.....

Also Beckett's next start for Boston one would think will determine their success this year, he has been erratic at the best of times this year

christeb wrote: »
    Just goes to show what a frustrating game it is, Lester was good and still got beaten fairly easily. I'm too lazy to check but I'm pretty sure the Cards bet lost with minimum of drama too?

I'd stay away from the games, personally I've layed 50 on the Yankees for the World Series, i didn't think A-Rod and the pitchers had the bottle, it'll be interesting to see how it goes.....

Also Beckett's next start for Boston one would think will determine their success this year, he has been erratic at the best of times this year

Beckett was very good in the first 2 months as I recall. Nice lay on Yankees, presumably the hot favourites. I see an NL team winning, have Dodgers @ 11/1 from March so that's still looking good.

And the Cardinals bet I went for was the 1st half betting, it was 1-1 after 5 innings so I got the money back. Problem wasn't Wainwright, he only gave up 3 hits through 8. The batters just didn't support him, they should have scored more before the 9th when Dodgers came back, left a good few runners stranded. Then Franklin just choked. He had a pitch to end it at 2-1 with 2 outs and 2 strikes but ended up walking him.

Did you watch the Sox game? I was too tired after the Dodgers game (great ending) so didn't stay up to see how it went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tresb

I have an mlb.tv subscription too, I watch a lot of baseball! I had Greinke the other day, great bet! I only found boards.ie recently can't believe there is a baseball betting area.

I think the Rockies for the WS is a great bet at 11/1, especially going back to Coors Field. Big game 2mro!

There isn't much out there tonight, but i'm going to be specualative and say the twins tonight at 12/5, it is a great price, Mauer feeds off Burnett and Blackburn seems to be the big game pitcher for the twins, only 5 runs in last 27 innings! Twins need to win going back to Minnesota!

PS: I'm a huge Marlins Fan

Philles over 5 innings @ 10/11 tonight. I'm lumping 50 on it. Cliff Lee is on the mound.

Philles over 5 innings @ 10/11 tonight. I'm lumping 50 on it. Cliff Lee is on the mound.

Nice sweat ;)

How sickening was that last evening :eek:

In_tuition wrote: »
    Nice sweat ;)

How sickening was that last evening :eek:

Oh man I was gutted. No runs scored in 26 postseason innings from Papelbon then Angels score 3 with 2 outs in the 9th when 6-4 down. It was twilight-zone stuff. I have to confess I was already looking to Game 4 when Lowell got that 'insurance' run. :(

Lee had a few scares tonight and the usual big hitters for Phillies are having a hard time in the cold conditions. I'll take 1-0 though through 5! Maybe won't put so much on next time.

I'm rooting for the Phillies now. Heading to Philadelphia next week and hoping to get NLCS tickets for Tuesday if they can see this game out or win Game 5. At least they've given me a few dollars tonight to put towards a ticket!

Oh man I was gutted. No runs scored in 26 postseason innings from Papelbon then Angels score 3 with 2 outs in the 9th when 6-4 down. It was twilight-zone stuff. I have to confess I was already looking to Game 4 when Lowell got that 'insurance' run. :(

Lee had a few scares tonight and the usual big hitters for Phillies are having a hard time in the cold conditions. I'll take 1-0 though through 5! Maybe won't put so much on next time.

I'm rooting for the Phillies now. Heading to Philadelphia next week and hoping to get NLCS tickets for Tuesday if they can see this game out or win Game 5. At least they've given me a few dollars tonight to put towards a ticket!

Really can't believe it still. Words just can't explain.

I'm watching the game on ESPN, as I speak what a terrible drop

• Advertisement

Going to watch the remainder in bed. Well done and good luck in Philly next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭boccy23

Had a small bit on the Phillies last night. :) Fancied Lee over CC and Lee was masterful.

Have had a small punt on the over 9 runs for tonights game.

AJ Burnett can be real flaky and who knows what Pedro will bring in a cold Yankee Stadium. Both will be on the quick hook and fancy a high scoring game.

Phillies v Giants on Sunday....I cannot wait. Lincecum v Halladay, absolutely mouth-watering.

With that in mind (2 top top pitchers), I'm lumping on 1st Inning Total Runs = 0 runs scored @ 8/13.

Really don't fancy either pitcher to give up a run in the 1st. Also might take 1st half total runs = under 3.0 @ 4/5 and Shane Victorino anytime home run @ 13/2 (he's a beast in the postseason), but that's just a fancy worth a tenner.

With that in mind (2 top top pitchers), I'm lumping on 1st Inning Total Runs = 0 runs scored @ 8/13.

Really don't fancy either pitcher to give up a run in the 1st.

Man was that was easy money, glad it came in as I'd called all my mates with the tip in the past couple of days too!

Basically not only were no runs scored, but there were no hits or walks.....each pitcher threw 7 pitches each!!!! That's unbelievable. The 3 best hitters at the top of each order, so 6 total, were retired by 14 pitches. That's friggen nuts.

Anyway, unreal. I can enjoy the game now. Giant's just hit a HR in the 3rd. You can probably get Phillies at about 11/10 now. TAKE IT. Lincecum is constantly inspecting his middle finger on his right (pitching) hand. He has a blister on that finger and it's obviously causing his discomfort. I fancy a couple of pitches to go astray in the coming innings with a good chance of Phillies hitting.

So I'd suggest if you see this now, back Phillies @ 11/10 to win (1-0 currently) and have a look at a Chase Utley HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dossier

Cheers lad, made a few quid on that. Just saw your latest post as Phillies pulled one back, good shout:cool:

dossier wrote: »
    Cheers lad, made a few quid on that. Just saw your latest post as Phillies pulled one back, good shout:cool:

Awesome, that HR from Ruiz was literally only about 3 pitches after my post so fair play for getting it on! Lincecum has given up a couple of hits and at least 1 walk since then so I maintain that his middle finger is at him, even though his coach claims it's part of his regular routine! Phils still need to turn these hit to runs though.

As I type, Cody Ross got his 2nd HR for Giants, so it's 2-1 Giants. Goddamn. This guy obviously suits Halladay's fastball, he hit it exactly the same. :(

I fancy Lincecum to be pulled in the 7th inning however whereas Halladay should last to 8 or 9. So I'm still thinking Phillies have a good chance to turn it around and I'm taking a small bit of 7/2 on 2 or more runs total in the 8th.

But even though Phils are back at 5/4 I'm not confident. I'm gonna do a fiver on the 7/2 bet and take the rest and run right now. This game could go either way.

Edit: Halladay is having huge trouble with the pitch zone. This could get bad. :(

4-1 Giants! Think it's game over at this stage

dossier wrote: »
    4-1 Giants! Think it's game over at this stage

Yeah a ridiculous inning, a bad call on a strike that would have ended it led to a couple of hits and a bad throw from Victorino and a few runs. :(

As I said, the home-plate umpire has been calling a very very tight strike zone and both pitchers have been affected by it. Roy was just very affected that inning.

I'm going to stay up anyway to see it out, but no more bets! If Lincecum gets pulled soon then I might get some heart from it but he hasn't thrown too many pitches so he might yet see out a good chunk of the game.

Hope you profited overall!

Cheers mate, still up for the day :D

Back to 4-3 and I've found a stream so may stay up a little longer!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭x PyRo

I'd be as well off trying to understand a German speak community, this is like a foreign language to me yet I keep looking at the posts. :pac:

Good stuff with the bet dude.

Advertisement