Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards.ie and Privacy

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Rb wrote: »
    Lol you're such a freak

I've been invisible since way before it was "cool" btw.

Liar liar, pants on fire. You went invisible the day after the stalker list happened:p
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    You can do this by clicking on the username and then selecting "find more posts by x" from the dropdown.

It's just not the same though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Simplicity

stevec wrote: »
    Liar liar, pants on fire. You went invisible the day after the stalker list happened:p

shhhhhhssssh He is way smarter than that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Simplicity wrote: »
    :) I Only joined last week!

http://omg.wthax.org/rb_virgin.jpg

Man that will really put rb on tilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Man that will really put rb on tilt.
    Not really. Just serves as proof that he's a braindead little troll who, like DBC, won't get the message.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

/rb not get post ;-)

• Advertisement

/rb not get post ;-)

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

/rb not get post ;-)
    Lol, whoops

Rb wrote: »
    Lol, whoops

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Simplicity wrote: »
    :)

<waves> Hi Dave! <waves>

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

Someone give me step by step instructions sos that nobody can go into my profile and see all my posts , cant see anything for it in privacy settings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Someone give me step by step instructions sos that nobody can go into my profile and see all my posts , cant see anything for it in privacy settings

There's no such feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

LizT wrote: »
    There's no such feature.

Well that sucks! All the features in privacy settings yet anyone may read all your previous posts an threads, needs to be addressed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Well that sucks! All the features in privacy settings yet anyone may read all your previous posts an threads, needs to be addressed

You're posting on a public forum for all to see. If you don't want people reading something then don't post it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

On a related note-having just read through all this again, five years on...

Would I be generalising, by stating that we've all (generally) become rather blasé about identification, breadcrumbs, etc.? Facebook was mentioned in the OP (by Seamus, as with Bebo and Myspace-well, it was five years ago!), and personally, I feel that this whole ethos is down to them-even Youtube, that haven of anonymous stool throwing pretty much twists your arm to put your own name on your account now, and many have complied.

These were all very legitimate concerns back then, as evidenced by the response the post got, and how much of a sea change it represented from the vBulletin of old.

I don't see a problem with it myself, and didn't at the time-and I cut my teeth on usenet, where you were your email/header and nothing more, unless someone was cute enough to strip out the IP of your ISP, which was as far as it went, without a hundred euro letter and a wig. Rightly or wrongly, you are what you post, and I never had a problem associating my various hissy fits or witticisms with who I really am.

Of course, even on sites where facebook and twitter logins are de rigeur (thejournal for example), people will just set up throwaway ones, with nicks that tickle their fancy, so maybe things haven't changed that much after all.

The web as a whole is different though- I took up the guitar lately again, after a couple of years of a gap (one of the kids is learning, and I'm re-learning with them), so have been looking up tabs and what have you. All of a sudden, Youtube is throwing guitar playing videos at me, despite me never having looked there...

None of this is Feedback, per se, so will most likely be locked shortly, because b.ie as of now are not pushing people into linking with their facebooks (which is highly unlikely-ever), or pushing for real name logins either-but it is interesting, to me at least, how much the environment has changed in just a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,626 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

One of the earliest things I did on this site was hide my online status, because people will very quickly use it against you within a thread ("derp why aren't you responding" etc) and I have numerous deleted visitor messages, because that system was at one point poorly misused.

Ultimately though over the years I've seen just as many calls for new functionality. Threads crop up once in a while calling for the site to implement newer vBulletin features like zombie-thread detection and whatnot, but the site is already heavily customized as it is. Plus, the roadmap from what I understand is to eventually break free of vBulletin altogether in the far flung future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

One thing that I found to be quite curious when I joined Boards.ie was that the " Stay logged in" box was ticked by default. I came as a bit of a surprise to come back to boards days later to find myself to be still logged in. The only other sites I can think of where this happens is Twitter and Facebook. I'm so used to other accounts I have automatically logging me out shortly after I leave those sites, that I keep forgetting to either untick the box when I log in or logged out before I leave. I doubt I'm the only one.

There are still a lot of homes out there with computers which more then one user. Devices can be lost or stolen. So it is a very real account privacy/security issue I think. Maybe there is a very good reason for having it like that here, but I can't think of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

One thing that I found to be quite curious when I joined Boards.ie was that the " Stay logged in" box was ticked by default. I came as a bit of a surprise to come back to boards days later to find myself to be still logged in. The only other sites I can think of where this happens is Twitter and Facebook. I'm so used to other accounts I have automatically logging me out shortly after I leave those sites, that I keep forgetting to either untick the box when I log in or logged out before I leave. I doubt I'm the only one.

There are still a lot of homes out there with computers which more then one user. Devices can be lost or stolen. So it is a very real account privacy/security issue I think. Maybe there is a very good reason for having it like that here, but I can't think of one.

"Keep me logged in" is a default on most forum sites.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

afair, it used to be the other way around - there were constant complaints from people who had written long (or well pondered) posts only to have them disappear into the ether because their login session had expired.

This is the first time I've seen it mentioned here since it was changed a good few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Steve wrote: »
    afair, it used to be the other way around - there were constant complaints from people who had written long (or well pondered) posts only to have them disappear into the ether because their login session had expired.

This is the first time I've seen it mentioned here since it was changed a good few years ago.

That was one of the most frustrating things about the site until it was changed.
    The disappearing post trick happened to me lots of times. It got to the point where, if I was writing any relatively long post, I'd always copy it before hitting the post button. That way I could just log back in and paste it in the reply box.
    It was infuriating though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Steve wrote: »
    Spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's just awesome when five-year-old post of yours gets dragged up again. :)

Though it still stands pretty well. But calling social networking sites "ego ****-fests" would probably be out of date at this stage. Initially they were mainly popular with the "look at me" types, but now they're mainstream and most people just defriend the ego ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

So has anything been done about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

seamus wrote: »

Though it still stands pretty well. But calling social networking sites "ego ****-fests" would probably be out of date at this stage. Initially they were mainly popular with the "look at me" types, but now they're mainstream and most people just defriend the ego ****.

Incredible foresight though all the same! :D

seamus wrote: »
    You were such a thanks whore when we first got thanks.. it's still working! :P

Advertisement