Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another take on speed checks?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Keith186 wrote: »
    This is one of the most annoying things I see whn driving on the road.

Drive cross country a lot, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Tbh, there wouldnt be as much speed limit breaking if the limits weren't so Draconian.

Maynooth to Leixlip road is now a 60km/h zone, and it is hard to stick to it, and i didn't. That makes me such a bad driver now, doesn't it, and because i drive a 5 series that doesnt help either does it. But I stuck to that limit for a bit and I had a queue of cars behind me, i tried to move over a bit to le them by, but as usual some caravan or a 40foot is parked up so the driver can get some sleep is in the way.

Infact, most of the time, i am trying to remember what the speed limit is that I am in. And it's not that i am watching tv in the car or something, or reading the paper while driving, it's because I'm too busy watching what other idiots are doing in front of me.

Speeding is an all to easy scapegoat for the reason we have fatalities and casualties on our roads. Most of the time it's because people are idiots, and thats the plain and simple of it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

tomred1 wrote: »
    Once you reach a speed which you want to keep it is easy to keep your foot still to hold it without needle watching.

This comment makes me think you've never driven a car in your life.

I think it's got to the stage now where every other facet of driving in terms of safety is completely ignored. Speeding seems to be the be all and end all (except for drink driving) of road safety campaigns.

When there's a bit of drissle, we are told on the radio to "slow down". Slow down ? Why ? It's prob still safe to drive at the speed limit.

Blaming speeding for everything is an easy cop out as

1. All the blame seemingly lies with the drivers.
    2. Its easy to clamp down on and is an easy revenue generating device.

Its a hell of a lot hard to clamp down on dangerous overtaking etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

bottletops wrote: »
    I know there has been a lot of comment and discussion on road safety
    and garda enforcement of the rules of the road, but please take a
    minute to read my take on it.

One of the biggest issues we seem to have at the moment is peoples
    complete lack of respect for our Garda force. This is a sad situation
    but I feel that their enforcement techniques have caused this problem.

Opinions?

Excellent post, It highlights the fact that the Gardai basically act as government revenue collecters rather than doing anything about improving road safety.

This ridicoulous state of affairs only continues because we tolerate it from the government that ostensibly claims to be interested in road safety but charges full vat at 21% on all car safety equipment e.g.
    . traction control, safety belts, air bags, electronic stability control etc

Back to the Gardai... The public need to have a greater say to instruct these public servants where and when they police motoring, I would suggest that they park outside of a pub car park and carry out speed checks outside of schools instead of wasting time hiding behind hedges holding their tools on safe motorways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Blaming speeding for everything is an easy cop out as
    Speed is not always the cause of a collision but it is always a factor in the severity of damage or injury.

Other reasons to restrict speed would be where it affects the quality of life of the places surrounding the road. That is noise, ability to merge, crossing opportunities for pedestrians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Has anyone seen the guards on the hardshouldered, quiet, wide laned, relatively straight and flat R148 between Intel in Leixlip and Maynooth? They recently changed the speed limit on that road to 30mph for no obvious reason.

If I hear of speed checks there, that will be the biggest comedy ever. I recommend anyone to actually do 30mph on that road. Its insane!

In fairness to the guards, they are pretty much everywhere at night watching for loons and drink drivers on the road so I do think they are trying to watch out for dangerous drivers. You can sometimes seem them hiding watching for dangerous drivers in different places. Ive seen them hiding at the back of the airport, in Dunboyne village at 6am, up at the Texaco garage between Blanch & Kilshane Cross etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Keith186 wrote: »
    Worst offenders for speeding maybe but sometimes they have to overtake 5 in a row because idiots just bunch up behind the slow car and won't overtake it making everyone else have to overtake a bunch of cars. This is one of the most annoying things I see whn driving on the road. Particulary people driving with caravans and horseboxes should move in a little to allow people to overtake more safely.

I remember coming up behind 2 or 3 cars doing 20mph behind a JCB once. Nobody showed any interest in overtaking despite coming onto a main road with loads of space to overtake. Unbelieveable. I overtook them all in a matter of seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I don't read prose poetry, but I do know that AGS don't just work 9-5. Can we not have a good old VRT-bashing thread instead?

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement