Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis Sport?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

"Avensis" and "Sport" do not belong in the same post :D

Oops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

We have a 1.8 Avensis with close on 130k km on the clock, and I would say that the Avensis is very bland to drive. The petrols, with electric power steering offer NO feedback of any description whatsoever. The diesel has some hope with proper hydraulic power steering.

Why are Toyotas so light on the road too? The 1.8 isn't fast at all with a manual box, so heaven help us with how slow the slush box is bound to be.

I therefore reckon that the 1.6 is hopeless for performance.

In saying that I always thought they have the German car quality appeal to the interior(I've often said to people it would feel like an Audi if you removed the badge, which it does), and there is no comparison between the Aura/Strata spec and the Luna spec inside, especially the seating, which is vastly superior in Luna spec. Lunas are far more upmarket inside in them, and have everything worth having bar cruise control and leather as standard. As for reliability, the air con went on strike last summer and it didn't start once either. Other than that it has been flawless for reliability.

1.8 manual Avensis does 42-45 mpg at best, given that the 1.6 is doubtless far slower and does worse than the 1.6 in the economy tests it therefore wouldn't be as economical.

It is a great car for the passenger, but there's no way anyone even remotely interested in a good driving experience could choose one.

The new Mondeo comprehensively outclasses the Avensis though, but then again of course it should, it is a far newer design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Thanks for the replys lads.

Head is still all over the shop car-wise :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

JHMEG wrote: »
    This'll be close to home for you. My father-in-law has an '05 1.6 Avensis, and before that a '96 520i he owned from new. He rarely gets animated about anything, but "how does the Avensis compare to the BMW?" sets him off, so much so that I regret asking -- he prefers the Avensis by a country mile. Ironically you mention plastics (the boards measure of quality) and specs. The Avensis has a CD player!:p
    To be honest, I prefer my folks 06 1.4 Focus or my missus' 01 1.1 206 over the 08 Avensis. The avensis is not a bad looking car but when I sat inside and started it up I felt so disappointed. It was a genuine let down.
    JHMEG wrote: »
    I don't like to knock something just because the herd are doing it. Avensis is a fine car, suits lots of people perfectly, and sells by the shipload. I'd have no hesitation in recommending it to someone who wants reliable, comfortable, economical, A-B motoring.
    I'm used to my E39* which in fairness got excellent reviews when it was being sold. Maybe my benchmark is much higher. However, my previous E30 with its early '80s design still was more impressive (as are many other cars from that era). However, you are indeed correct. Most people don't want to think about their drive and are content in just getting from A to B without any interaction.
    Oh an my E39 (1997) has a 6 disk multichanger! :p
    E92 wrote: »
    I therefore reckon that the 1.6 is hopeless for performance.
    I have to say it was quicker that I thought it would be. Still slow though!
    E92 wrote: »
    1.8 manual Avensis does 42-45 mpg at best, given that the 1.6 is doubtless far slower and does worse than the 1.6 in the economy tests it therefore wouldn't be as economical.
    I was getting 7.9L/100km (35mpg) overall after a week of mixed driving

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

kbannon wrote: »
    However, you are indeed correct. Most people don't want to think about their drive and are content in just getting from A to B without any interaction.
    One of the things the father-in-law goes on about is how deep (as in height) the boot in the Avensis is. He can put suitcases standing up in it which he could never do in the 520 (RWD prevents a deep boot)... moral of the story: a deep boot is more important than RWD, to him*, and to lots of other Joes.

*He only found out the BMW was RWD when bushes went in the back that cost 700 him quid to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

colm_mcm wrote: »
    bet you wish you had a Mondeo or a Passat. their base models are SOOO plush :rolleyes:

re: the stereo, mess around with the settings, the current ones have 8 speakers and sound decent enough.

Both a *lot* nicer than a toyota to be fair. At least the Passat handles better than a barge.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,129 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

cianclarke wrote: »
    Both a *lot* nicer than a toyota to be fair. At least the Passat handles better than a barge.

Have you actually driven both cars? The Passat is as "barge" like as the Avensis the last time I drove one. Neither car are known for their sporty drive but then again they were not designed to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

bazz26 wrote: »
    Have you actually driven both cars? The Passat is as "barge" like as the Avensis the last time I drove one. Neither car are known for their sporty drive but then again they were not designed to be.

Is there a "Passat Sport" for sale though?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,129 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

eoin_s wrote: »
    Is there a "Passat Sport" for sale though?

There is no Avensis "Sport" either, just a silly dealer pretending he has one for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

kbannon wrote: »
    I have a 2008 1.6L Avensis sitting outside, a hire car courtesy of Quinn.
    Anyhow, I have had it for the last week and I can honestly say that there isn't one thing nice about the car, except that it gave 35mpg overall. It is crap. The radio is crap. The plastickyness of it is crap. The gearchange is crap. The seats are crap. The handling is crap. The pretend leather is crap. Its crap!

I don't think I'd agree with that assesment. My missus is on her second leased one while awaiting her own car from the garage, not an Avensis, and I've found the seats quite comfy in them. Her first did have a dodgy notchy gear change but the second is a bit better.
    For someone doing alot of long distance driving it's a very comfy cruiser.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

bazz26 wrote: »
    There is no Avensis "Sport" either, just a silly dealer pretending he has one for sale.

Ah right, I didn't realise it was a made up model.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It all comes down to what a person wants in a car. I check my oil every night, am a little nervous every time I turn the key in the morning and panic if I hear a "new" noise from the engine. Genuinely wouldn't swap my car for anything on carzone under 30k though.
    For some people the thought of even opening the bonnet is a no no and a car drives well if it goes forwards and turns bends. I like to have some fun on the road so I drive my Alfa 156. I like going out checking the oil and listening to the engine note when i take it to 7000! Others want a safe reliable car and couldn't care less about the engine they have etc so they drive cars like the Avensis.

Advertisement