Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cables - Laptop to TV?

Options
  • 22-06-2008 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Hello all

I don't know if this is the best place to post this question :confused:

Is there such a cable that lets you plug your laptop or computer
    into your TV to use the screen as a monitor? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If your laptop has an svideo connection then you can use an svideo to scart connection to view the laptop on the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

i'm using a s-video to rca cable to attach my pc to my tv. Would a s-video to scart give me a better picture?

PS Sorry for hyjacking your thread....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I doubt the difference, if any, would be noticeable at all. Why what's wrong with the picture quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

If your computer has a DVI output *and* your TV has a HDMI input, you can get a HDMI to DVI cable and enjoy excellent results.

If your computer has S-Video output, you can get a suitable cable. The one you need will depend on which inputs are available on your TV.

If your computer has only a VGA connector, you can get a scan converter but they're not cheap - for a desktop machine it would be cheaper to add a graphics card with TV output.

its not too bad, i'm using the pc as a media centre but the quality isn't the greatest. Getting the standard s-video grainy picture. the pc is set to 630X400 but reading anything is little difficult. The media centre software is quite good and has all menus set so they can be easily read in theatre mode.

Details are on this post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055309473

The picture isn't crystal but it's an old 28" panasonic 4:3 telly. it was suggested that if i get a new telly, i can go dvi to hdmi? maybe i'll just wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭BizzyLizzy

newbie2 wrote: »
    Would a s-video to scart give me a better picture?

They say Gold Tipped/ Contacts improve the quality...

I use the bog-standard and the pics works fine for me.

BizzyLizzy wrote: »
    They say Gold Tipped/ Contacts improve the quality...

I suspect so, as gold doesn't corrode or tarnish, contacts stay nice and clean

.... i'm using the pc as a media centre ......

Try twiddling with the Graphics Properties on the PC

BizzyLizzy wrote: »
    Try twiddling with the Graphics Properties on the PC
    I have, pretty much tweaked them to death. Don't get me wrong, i'm perfectly happy with movies/tv etc, it's just the reception off the svideo cable is not quite as sharp as i suspect scart would be.

I have, pretty much tweaked them to death. Don't get me wrong, i'm perfectly happy with movies/tv etc, it's just the reception off the svideo cable is not quite as sharp as i suspect scart would be.

Well you will just have to get yourself a scart lead then.... and a big bag of popcorn.. Enjoy. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement