Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using old pc as media player

Options
  • 08-06-2008 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

A little help on this would be great.
    I've recently bought a new pc from komplett ( i20 gamer) and now have a spare pc. It's a DELL Dimension, WinXP SP3, ATI raedon x800 series, 2 gigs of ram, 350g hd etc. I'm hoping to use the older pc as a media player for my Tv with possibility of video/music streaming from the new pc. I've already streamed video from the old pc to a laptop and then from the laptop to the TV via s-video2rca cable.

I have a couple of questions though that i thought some of you might be able to help with.

1. What software should i use? Windows Media Centre does have what I want. You can set the PC to boot straight to the media centre and the microsoft remote control works with it. Are there any other media centre type progs out there that would suit my needs that anyone knows of. They would need to have a compatible remote control.

2. ATM I'm using s-video2rca and another cable for the sound. in the future i will be purchasing a new telly (LCD/plasma etc) so will go for the DV out on the graphics card. But sound is another problem. i do have an audigy external soundblaster sound card that does have an optical out. Could this be use directly into a surround sound system?

3. I'll need a wifi card in the media centre for streaming. I have a D-link USB wifi. Will this suffice? Can anybody suggest another card - maybe an internal one?

The main idea around this was to build cheap media centre that has the ability to stream video and music. The machine has to work with a remote control. This is an expense, but as far as I can see, it's the only expense. The machine will also be inside a cupboard, so will cooling be a problem. There are built in fans but will the graphics card be ok with just the onbard fans? I wont be playing games etc on it.

I know this is a bit of a long winded post but I want to make sure i don't miss anything. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

would it not be simpler to buy media player,hd enclosure with remote from maplins ,comes with remote control ,install the hd inside.SELL the pc on adverts.ie .I think they r 90 euro approx,otherwise you,ll have 2 buy winxp media centre software plus remote ,obviously theres linux media centers too ,but i ,m not a linux expert.I presume the hd is standard ide drive.YOU,d need a tv card with remote control and software .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

This is something that i did look at but after a lot of research, there were issues with codecs, streaming and storage on off the shelf media players. I'm not too concerned about the cost of software as i'll get it somehow. ;)

The remote and infrared reciever can be got for about €40. Why do i need a TV card? (I actually have one lying around). The DVi out and s-video out on the graphics card works just as good , no?

This was really an experiment - I'm not sure the selling of the old PC for a few quid would be worth the hassle. In the future when someone builds a media player with good storage, good streaming, DivX, multiple free codecs, nice design, lots of outputs/inputs and 7.1 surround sound etc I'll get that. In the mean time this was my plan.

The 350 barracuda hd is ide.

thabks for your ideas anybody else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I was even going to sell this on adverts this week.

http://www.argosy.com.tw/product-detial.php?prod_id=80

There are no issues with codes that I am aware of.
    Consumes alot less power than leaving a gaming pc to
    play Movies/TV series.

Or you could get a second hand xbox and use that for
    your media requirements.

not a streamer though is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

What about something like this Newbie2

It's got a 500GB SATA onboard too

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=103521

danesosmartew6.jpg

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

newbie2 wrote: »
    not a streamer though is it?

The Argosy isn't but the xbox is. ;)

Thats what im using now instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

can you pm me,Shiny wheres that ad,what section, on adverts.ie ,eg electronics FS page 3.

What about something like this Newbie2

It's got a 500GB SATA onboard too

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=103521

danesosmartew6.jpg

-
    Yeah that's something like what i'd be looking for, however it's £215. A little bit much for my pocket at the moment. It also looks like it's been designed by a blind rabbit. :o I'll see how i get on with the one i'm building and post back on my progress.

thanks all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Dont get fooled by these media hard drive things , they are no replacement for a HTPC.

On a tight budget , those media center hard drives can be a godsend , however output quality wise they leave a lot to be desired, video and sound quality suffers as the hardware is basic and compromised in order to fit inside such a small enclosure.

The other thing is of course the file types and codec issue , they do not play any and all content out there , sooner or later you will come across something it cant play , in which case you are reliant on a firmware update, with a HTPC its a case of five or ten minutes on the net to get the codec.

Any decent HTPC will blow most of these out of the water when it comes to content and playback quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Yeah that's something like what i'd be looking for, however it's £215. A little bit much for my pocket at the moment. It also looks like it's been designed by a blind rabbit. :o I'll see how i get on with the one i'm building and post back on my progress.

thanks all

I see these are down to £169 today, must be trying to get rid?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

I have a couple of questions though that i thought some of you might be able to help with.

1. What software should i use? Windows Media Centre does have what I want. You can set the PC to boot straight to the media centre and the microsoft remote control works with it. Are there any other media centre type progs out there that would suit my needs that anyone knows of. They would need to have a compatible remote control.

Media Centre is the best and by far the easiest to use in my opinion. Not everyone agrees and there's a few other programs you could use.
    2. ATM I'm using s-video2rca and another cable for the sound. in the future i will be purchasing a new telly (LCD/plasma etc) so will go for the DV out on the graphics card. But sound is another problem. i do have an audigy external soundblaster sound card that does have an optical out. Could this be use directly into a surround sound system?

If you get a HD LCD / Plasma just get a DVI to HDMI converter and you'll be set. Yes the optical out could be plugged into a surround sound system or an Amp
    3. I'll need a wifi card in the media centre for streaming. I have a D-link USB wifi. Will this suffice? Can anybody suggest another card - maybe an internal one?

The USB one will be fine :)

Do you have a TV card so you can pause and record live TV?

Ok i suppose i'll tell you how i got on. As suggested in my first post I used a clean install on Win XP SP3 on my 350 g hd. Installed j.river media Centre (i had problems with MCE install disk!). Installed USB wifi. Have 9 pin s-video cable changing to 4 pin s-video changing to rca going to my old 28" Panasonic 4:3 TV from my ATI Raedon x800 series. Installed External Audigy SB 24bit. Have optical cable coming from that into Surround Sound system. Moveis and music can stream from my shared videos/music folder etc on my new vista 750g pc direct to j-river. J-river is set to start in theatre mode when XP boots. Using a £8.50 remote control and IR reciever bought from ebay. (It's pretty crap looking and feeling - deffo worth 8.50). All in all - not a bad little set up for very little money and aout 3 hours work (drilling cable holes etc in my tv unit took most of the time.!) It's not a super one like i've seen on another post, but It does the job and is hidden away.

I do have a TV card installed but i have sky+ too so it's kinda useless. Might be ok if i need to archive soemthing that i cant find already on the interweb! :eek:

I am however having worried about the heat. the machine is inside a pretty small cabinet. I left it on for about 5 hours today and when i went to check on it, the air inside the cabinet was prety warm and the fan on the GPU was pretty whirring. The obvious suggestion is cut air holes in the back of the cabinet (something that I will check with the wife as soon as she's speaking to me again.) but I was wondering is there any other cheap suggestion out there. And by cheap i mean free.

Also, the picture quality - whilst perfestly acceptable - is not the best it could be. Will i have to wait till I need a new TV to get a better picture (DVI to HDMI) or is there any cables that I could get that would improve the picture. (S-video sux)

Thnaks all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Also, the picture quality - whilst perfestly acceptable - is not the best it could be. Will i have to wait till I need a new TV to get a better picture (DVI to HDMI) or is there any cables that I could get that would improve the picture. (S-video sux)

Until you get a new TV thats as good as its going to get Im afraid.

Advertisement