Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox or Google?

Options
  • 20-06-2008 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Which is rated the best web browser?

Sorry i am bit green on all this.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Folks,

google isn't a web browser?
    So Firefox 3!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Folks,

Bless.

Google is an (admittedly extremely powerful) web page which is a search engine.

A browser is something which interprets mark up language that sites are made of into what we see.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Google is a search engine on the internet.
    Firefox is used to access web pages, like www.google.ie

edit, sdoom bate me to it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

IMO google is much better :D

daddy or chips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Disregarding the smartarses who picked up on your mistake of calling Google a 'browser', I'll presume you want to know which is better between INTERNET EXPLORER and Firefox and the answer is purely a subjective one really.

There are other browsers - Opera and Safari for example - but yes, IE and Firefox would be the 'big two'.

Personally, I prefer Firefox 3 for its standards compliance, speed, features and plugins and the fact that it's not made by Microsoft :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Firefox 3 is pretty good. I prefer it over IE as it's much faster and doesn't need to shut down a few times a day when it feels like it.
    There's a security issue though so don't go to anything too dodgy.
    Seen it on BBC Tech news earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Keith186 wrote: »
    Firefox 3 is pretty good. I prefer it over IE as it's much faster and doesn't need to shut down a few times a day when it feels like it.

faster in what way?

I have to say IE 7 has never ever crashed on any windows box i've used

previous versions were a different story but I dont recall that much trouble with 6 eithier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

has firefox 3 gone gold ?, did I miss the big download day

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

MooseJam wrote: »
    has firefox 3 gone gold ?, did I miss the big download day
    Yes.

• Advertisement

ah bummer, i wanted to be part of something bigger than me lol

Anybody know if they will still be supporting 2, releasing patches if and when needed, I tried 3 but its address bar dropdown is a truly horrendous hotchpotch of different size and colour font, couldn't stick it for 5 minutes before it was uninstalled

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Anybody know if they will still be supporting 2, releasing patches if and when needed, I tried 3 but its address bar dropdown is a truly horrendous hotchpotch of different size and colour font, couldn't stick it for 5 minutes before it was uninstalled

The address bar is probably the best feature :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I'm running Vista and it seems that IE7 sucks up more capacity and loads slower than Firefox. I use both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

theres a plug in that allows you to use the old one

i dont really mind it to be honest i've been using a simiar one in opera for ages , so i find it quite useful.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6227

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I've been using Firefox for some time now and I prefer it to Internet Explorer. I participated in "Download Day" getting it onto my PC, laptop and the computer at work. I also alerted some people to the fact that Download Day was happening. Firefox were even giving certs that you could print off to show you took part. :)

Sherifu wrote: »

thanks mate, am running 3 now and no horrible address bar :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

ntlbell wrote: »
    faster in what way?

I have to say IE 7 has never ever crashed on any windows box i've used

previous versions were a different story but I dont recall that much trouble with 6 eithier

Web pages are formed faster, say a page with mainly text that is small to load. I've noticed it loads faster on ff3 than it would on IE7.

IE7 always says it has encountered a problem and needs to close, sorry for the inconvenience.
    Usually it would be a daily occurrence when I used it.

Web pages are formed faster, say a page with mainly text that is small to load. I've noticed it loads faster on ff3 than it would on IE7.

IE7 always says it has encountered a problem and needs to close, sorry for the inconvenience.
    Usually it would be a daily occurrence when I used it.
    That's at odds with my experience. IE7 has never crashed for me that I can remember and beat the pants off ff2 for page loading/memory consumption. I do think ff3 will be a big improvement. Haven't used it too much yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Firefox for somethings like watching shows! and IE for other things!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I use both IE7 and Firefox 2/3. I prefer Firefox overall, but no real problems with IE7 either. I dislike how firefox handlesbookmarks between different machines, as it creates duplicates which IE doesn't. I use Safari someomes too, as it quicker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Sherifu wrote: »
    That's at odds with my experience. IE7 has never crashed for me that I can remember and beat the pants off ff2 for page loading/memory consumption.

I don't notice much difference between IE7, FF2 & FF3. With fast broadband, fast PCs and pages that load in milliseconds anyway who cares.
    *I am a FF user though. Can't move back to IE as Firefox has some extensions I can't live without. :)

If any application crashes daily for you these days you need to look at your setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I...With fast broadband, fast PCs and pages that load in milliseconds anyway who cares....

Not everone has that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,893 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don't notice much difference between IE7, FF2 & FF3. With fast broadband, fast PCs and pages that load in milliseconds anyway who cares.
    *I am a FF user though. Can't move back to IE as Firefox has some extensions I can't live without. :)

If any application crashes daily for you these days you need to look at your setup.

theres a lot of evidence, and my own personal experience that will show a huge difference in the loading time for web pages between IE7, FF2 and FF3. all you need to do is try browsing boards.ie in each of them, and then tell me what you find. FF3 is the fastest, and Im running on a top notch laptop and a 10mbps connection, its still noticeably better.

just noticed 3 doesn't have the little go button beside the address bar, you know the one if the page is loading slow you hit the go button, what do you do now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,893 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

just noticed 3 doesn't have the little go button beside the address bar, you know the one if the page is loading slow you hit the go button, what do you do now ?
    panic.

funny :p it's a big thing to leave out though no ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Firefox is much better imo!!!

Advertisement