Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking during the Leaving

Options
  • 20-06-2008 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

i found that in our 6th year about half of the whole year took up smoking as a way of takling "the stress of the leaving" including myself. i found myself taking every opportunity to go outside and have a quick fag. this trend greatly increased especially after the pres, and i for one found it a help (as they do relieve stress momentarily) and a hindrance. did this happen to anyone else?, and is the leaving cert a giant conspiracy with the tobacco industry in order to get young people to take up the habbit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Yeah man,theyre all after us man ,all after us.:p

Making us crazy man ,doing crazy sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

dont start smoking. i smoke and its not as good as it used to be :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

No offence but that is the stupidest reason I have ever heard of for starting smoking. Stress? Don't make me laugh! Why didn't you do something constructive like joy-riding or playing xbox for hours on end? What a ridiculous idea....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭louis626

yeah seems pretty stupid to me..... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

You realise being addicted to something raises stress levels?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭brown-dog

Its true, it does increase stress levels plus its just an excuse to take a break from studying. I have smoked for years now and we all kid ourselves with that excuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kevsterr

yeah cheers everyone, well im off for a fag...:):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Lol wow thats stupid. You have just increased stress by 100% by starting. Everytime you actually feel stressed you will want a fag. Eejit

• Registered Users Posts: 81,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I always just looked on smoking as a crutch; if you need it to function, then you're pretty much admiting you have a handicap.

You watch your little sister start smoking at 14, then try and watch her go 3 days without a cigarette - thats when shes so emotionally unstable without the nicotene in her system that she starts to lash out at everything and everyone until she runs out of energy and just breaks down into crying. Its really ****ing sad to watch.

Honestly, just learn to handle stress under your own steam; you'll be so much better off. I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Ha.

It doesn't matter what your Leaving Cert results say, you clearly have an under-developed brain.

Honestly, who starts smoking at 17/18 years old in the 21st century? I can understand 13 year olds having a cheeky fag behind the bike sheds, but in 6th year, aren't you supposed to have a little bit of cop on? Did you miss all those health warnings or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

Overheal wrote: »
    I always just looked on smoking as a crutch; if you need it to function, then you're pretty much admiting you have a handicap.

You watch your little sister start smoking at 14, then try and watch her go 3 days without a cigarette - thats when shes so emotionally unstable without the nicotene in her system that she starts to lash out at everything and everyone until she runs out of energy and just breaks down into crying. Its really ****ing sad to watch.

Honestly, just learn to handle stress under your own steam; you'll be so much better off. I am.

That's got nothing to do with smoking dude.. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Not in my school during the leaving. For the Junior Cert we all smoked dope, but by the leaving cert most of us had it together.

Advertisement