Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there no railway from Limerick to Galway?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

KC61 wrote: »
    As I've outlined above, the train will probably be between 1 hour 50 mins initially, dropping to 1 hour 40 minutes. The bus is currently 2 hours 20 mins.

The bus will continue to have to serve the town centres, so time savings will be minimal. All of the buses serve Shannon airport so I really cannot see how you're arriving at your conclusion that the train will be slower.

In 2006 Myles McHugh from Irish Rail told me the train time Galway - Limerick would be 2hrs 20 mins and eventually 2 hours. It may well be 70mph in parts (apart from the fact that the line was never 70mph in its lifetime) but the curves will make the speeds closer to 50mph. Its only a relay thats been done on the cheap due to a loophole in rail safety guidelines. That loophole is the fact that IE never officially abandoned the line.

And so the most talked about, yet least important, rail line in Ireland starts off another thread. If anyone wants the thread locked, I can easily arrange it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

DWCommuter wrote: »
    In 2006 Myles McHugh from Irish Rail told me.....And so the most talked about, yet least important, rail line in Ireland starts off another thread. If anyone wants the thread locked, I can easily arrange it.;)

Mr. Mchugh says a lot of things in fairness ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

DWCommuter wrote: »
    In 2006 Myles McHugh from Irish Rail told me the train time Galway - Limerick would be 2hrs 20 mins and eventually 2 hours. It may well be 70mph in parts (apart from the fact that the line was never 70mph in its lifetime) but the curves will make the speeds closer to 50mph. Its only a relay thats been done on the cheap due to a loophole in rail safety guidelines. That loophole is the fact that IE never officially abandoned the line.

And so the most talked about, yet least important, rail line in Ireland starts off another thread. If anyone wants the thread locked, I can easily arrange it.;)

Timings certainly will not be over 2 hours - I'm not sure where Myles ever got that idea. Using railcars means that 70mph will be achievable far more readily than with a locomotive hauled train, combined with more rapid acceleration/deceleration.

From what I've seen (and I've only seen pictures) it certainly doesn't look like it's a "relay done on the cheap".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Timings certainly will not be over 2 hours - I'm not sure where Myles ever got that idea. Using railcars means that 70mph will be achievable far more readily than with a locomotive hauled train, combined with more rapid acceleration/deceleration.

This won't matter with the amount of curves and gradient changes.
    From what I've seen (and I've only seen pictures) it certainly doesn't look like it's a "relay done on the cheap".

If they were rebuilding and straightening parts it wouldn't be done on the cheap. All they are doing is a relay which is the cheapest way to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Ive seen the relay in the flesh. If 70mph is reached on that line on more than 15% of it, I'll walk it with a donkey on my back. For example, north of Ardrahan its still like a rollercoaster. I don't believe all this talk of 70mph. I can't see a railcar breaking 50mph on most of this line. The line is a winding, hilly, piece of crap. All IE are doing is putting new track on the winding, hilly, piece of crap.

But hey, I could be wrong. :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

it will be really slow alright, and if they do find a way to make it faster and more popular, a directly competing bus service with a similar limited stop pattern would grind it into the dust....I cant see Citylink siting on their hands somehow...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Given they don't seem to have enough drivers to run their current services, how are they planning to staff this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

MOH wrote: »
    Given they don't seem to have enough drivers to run their current services, how are they planning to staff this?

As this is not starting until next year, presumably from the pool of additional drivers currently in training.

Advertisement