Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Soap at Present????

Options
  • 18-06-2008 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

I'm loving Ireland's own Fair City at present. The Floyd's storyline has me hooked i don't if he's faking or not.

Closely followed by Hollyoaks they are tackling some great storylines they just need to hire some average looking actors/actress (not all size 0)

Emmerdale and Eastenders are going downhill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

definatley hollyoaks.really enjoying the storylines. very curious to see what happens to the dog..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

With the odd exception i loose my attention span quite quickly with soaps .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

IMO Emmerdale is the best soap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

I like Fair City best too.

I sometimes watch Hollyoaks but find that there's so many characters that it can be hard to remember who everyone is, who they're related to, who they're having affairs with and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

JP Liz wrote: »
    I'm loving Ireland's own Fair City at present. The Floyd's storyline has me hooked i don't if he's faking or not.
    I never thought of that! Would be a good twist if it turned out he wasn't sick at all...
    Emmerdale and Eastenders are going downhill.
    Emmerdale seems to be just a pantomime. I think some characters have become overdone caricatures of themselves such as Pollard and the Dingles.
    Eastenders was good last night with the explosion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

Eastenders is my favourite, wouldn't mind if I never saw any of the rest of them again, sometimes corrie is good but it goes between being really good and really boring!

I just love eastenders, i think heather and shirley are so funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

Great question. I used to like Corrie, but I checked in on it again recently and it was awful. There was a scene in the betting shop where they practically turned to the camera and said "See, kids! Gambling is BAD!" They're also messing up the good characters. Roy is lost without Hayley, and they're just using him as a cartoon. "Forsooth, indeed, sirrah! Mayhap you shouldst like a penny bun?" Also I didn't know who half of them were, but I guess that's not their fault.

The two I really watch are Emmerdale and Fair City. A couple of months ago I would have said Emmerdale was better. It's funny and dramatic, but I agree with Madge about the flaws. The Dingles are some great actors but they're wasted in stupid stories.

They also write really badly for old people. Does anyone agree? They get wheeled on for light relief, but without anything interesting to say.

Fair City was always pretty skimpy on drama, and ropey in all kinds of ways, but with some laughs. Now it's just brilliant. I watched three in a row this morning, and every single one of them was great. The stuff between Dermot and Ken was hilarious. "I love you, Ken!" "Dermot, I'm not going to hug you."

Floyd and Heather is a classic. When Heather had a go at him on the Dart I was actually wincing. A woman on a date with her dying half-brother tells him to get over himself for being such a downer? That's classy writing, soap or not. Same goes for Christy slagging Floyd about his headstone. It's pure Irish, and I don't think you'd get it on any other soap.

The garage stuff seems a bit obvious, but there should be good trouble if the women gang up on Paul. Then you have Bob twisting the knife in Mike - who hasn't wanted to do that?

Anyway, it's buzzing at the moment. I hope it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭RINO87

home and away!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

E'Enders is the only one worth watching now, and even it isn't that great

I can't stand Emmerdale, never watch it, soo boring

Fair City isn't too bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 carolforpeace

I just don't know how anyone can support Fair City. It actually makes me feel a bit sick for paying my tv license fee!! Such bad acting and storylines. I'm ashamed for Irish TV.

The only soaps I tune in on these days are neighbours and home and away. I like to see a bit of sun with some good stories and they're on just in time for my dinner when I get home from work!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭crazygirl101

hmmm....IM0 the royal and greys anatomy are really great!

I just don't know how anyone can support Fair City. It actually makes me feel a bit sick for paying my tv license fee!! Such bad acting and storylines. I'm ashamed for Irish TV.

It's an awful lot better than it used to be. The Floyd story was generally good, and the stuff in the garage has all been great. They still need to drive a bus into some of the actors, but that's a minority.

Have you seen it recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

latchyco wrote: »
    With the odd exception i loose my attention span quite quickly with soaps .

I totally agree and the great aspect about soaps is that you can miss one for a fortnight; watch 1episode again and you're already up-to-date

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty.Odd.

I used watch Hollyoaks, Eastenders, Coronation Street and Emmerdale. I just have to say that Corrie and Emmerdale have really deteriorated over the last while and I only watch Emmerdale and Corrie now if there is nothing else on when I'm at home. I tend to stay away while they are on they drive me insane. I love Hollyoaks it's my fave soap so much better than all the rest and Eastenders has really improved over the last while. I just wish someone would smile in that programme!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Roses are red

Fair city is my favourite at the moment Eastenders and Corrie have become boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 SuzyBoo

Have to say I only watch Corrie now to see Norris and Blanche. Love their one-liners. Best ever came from Norris when Cilla and Les Battersby got hitched. Cilla had some God-awful dress and Norris waspishly remarks "Well that's a confectionery first, a tart in a meringue" Or when Curly Watts and his wife were having marital difficulties, Norris offers a shoulder to cry on: " You can talk to me, you know. I have been married so I do know the sheer unrelenting misery of it" Whatever its shortcomings I think Corrie has had more witty dialogue and lighter moments than EEnders. One Malcolm Hebden fan signing off now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tipsy7

they just need to hire some average looking actors/actress (not all size 0)

Surely that is the point of hollyoaks to get to see numerous hot people on t.v.. Most other soaps are riddled with dowdy ugly people.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Love Corrie depending on what storylines there are...

I've also become completely addicted to Ros na Run... It's surprisingly good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭nycman

ros na rún is funking brilliant:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

+1 for Corrie.

It's the humour that makes it. Characters like Norris and Blanche are just brilliant - so witty and deadpan. And the new character Aunty Pam (Molly's aunt) is turning out to be great too - she's like a female Del Boy!

I think Corrie is great for the subtle moments that you could miss if you weren't paying attention, it's much better than those in your face american comedy shows where you are literally told when to laugh.

Did anyone see last night when Tony was seeing off the ambulance with the old man in it - he was standing there stroking the cat looking pure evil, just like the villain in James Bond - sheer brilliance!!!!

• Advertisement

I'm starting to develop a taste for Corrie. The stories aren't the best, but the dialogue must be some of the best on telly. Last week Blanche said to a scruffy and unwashed Ken, "This place smells like an anchovy's jockstrap."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

gogglebok wrote: »
    I'm starting to develop a taste for Corrie. The stories aren't the best, but the dialogue must be some of the best on telly. Last week Blanche said to a scruffy and unwashed Ken, "This place smells like an anchovy's jockstrap."

I laughed out loud at that - brilliant!

Yes Corrie is unbeatable when it comes to the dialogue :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

I only watch fair city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

none lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 david2.8i

home and away and eastenders...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Fair City is the only one for me.
    I'm loving it over the past few months.
    Couldn't give a damn if I never saw any of the rest of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Blanche is Corrie is comedy gold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

none at all thare all bad lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MS.MONEYPENNY

Fair City # 1.....Wish they'd bring back Ray & Keeeeeth!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭rvd156

I HATE ALAN TURNER.....My god he stutters everytime he goes to speak...Aghhhh :mad::mad:

Advertisement