Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Qualified Personal Trainer/Gym Instructor

Options
  • 17-06-2008 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

I am hoping to do a course (either evening (limerick), weekend or long distance) that would allow me to train peeps while being insured.

I've looked at a few but only sure about one that would allow me to get insurance.

NCEF Certificate in Exercise & Health Fitness in Limerick (Friday evening and Saturdays) would allow me to get insured but there is allot of that course that doesn't interest me.

Setanta College also run a course "Certificate in Resistance Training & Weight Training for Sports". You also get your IAWLA (I think) Weightlifting level 1. Not sure if that would allow me to be a personal trainer and get insured though.

Distance Learning Course "Diploma in Fitness and Nutrition" on www.cmit.ie looks good. Does anyone know if completing it would allow me to be a gym instructor/personal trainer here in ireland ?

Website says "This course is suitable for anyone wishing to become a fitness instructor or personal trainer, although further practical training is advised before practicing and may also be required for insurance purposes."

Anyone done any of these ? Anyone recommend any ?

Cheers,
    Brian.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

hey, i just finished the NCEF level 1 course.
    yeh there was a fair few things that didnt interest me either, but it good to have an overall knowledge of fitness areas other than resistance.

you will get insured with it.

i'm doing the ISSA personal trainer course now for the next few weeks.
    http://www.portobelloschool.ie/pagecarrier.aspx?pageid=98

might be one you could have a look at doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Thanks for that. NCEF is looking like my only option as a starting point as it seems the only course that would allow me to be insured.

Anyone know of any other course that would allow you to then get insurance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edges

The National Training Centre are just off Dorset St in Dublin but they have another couple of schools around the country. Their NCEHS course is much the same as the one you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 scruples1982

hey guys, does anyone know anything about the personal trainer course in co.kildare in the school of sport? it looks really good but im not sure how well regonised it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

hey guys, does anyone know anything about the personal trainer course in co.kildare in the school of sport? it looks really good but im not sure how well regonised it is!

never heard of it , and i'd say nither have a lot of gym's ring a few of the big ones and ask them if they accecpt trainers with that quailafaction (who acrediteds them ??)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

If it has accreditation is doesn't state it which is usually the case when they don't.

Could be a good course but useless without recognition.

Advertisement