Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slugs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Frogs are a natural predator of slugs and should be encouraged in all gardens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

muggyog wrote: »
    Slugs dont care what green material they eat and unlike earthworms dont recycle what they do eat. They are eating machines and they only benefit hedgehogs ( which every garden should have )
    not all slugs eat green material - some eat dead material, and of course they do 'recycle' what they eat, in the same way that earthworms do - it comes out the other end.

plus, slugs are not the favoured food of hedgehogs. they will eat them, but prefer other sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

I think I've beaten them. All other raised beds still suffering, but since I set up my electric fence on one last week....nothing :D Courgettes are thriving.
    1. Old torch charger. 9vdc. Any old charger will do.
    2. Solid core 1.5mm insulated wire.
    3. Electrical connectors.
    4. Cable clips.
    Set up above and before plugging in, run over tops of wire with a stanley blade. This pears away the top layer of insulation.
    Extremely minimal power usage as the wire is live, not using power. Next step is that I will set up to a small solar panel with a battery.
    See pics.
    DSCF2682.jpg
    DSCF2683.jpg
    DSCF2684.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

^^^^Anything that is connected to mains supply is surely a potential risk not to mention shorting. Stripping insulation increases this risk.

Back to the drawing board, a novel idea but must be made safer. I would prefer you use Solar and not mains as power source.

Feedback appreciated. There is of course a "potential" risk, but I would judge it on par with the exposed plug that is hanging from a phone charger in a socket, that does not have a phone on it.

All said though, I will move ahead with the battery and solar panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Feedback appreciated. There is of course a "potential" risk, but I would judge it on par with the exposed plug that is hanging from a phone charger in a socket, that does not have a phone on it.

All said though, I will move ahead with the battery and solar panel.

I think the copper wire barrier should work WITHOUT having to pass a current through it - when the slug comes into contact with the bare copper, it receives a pseudo-electric shock due to the reaction between the copper and the slug's body fluids: http://www.wildlifegardener.co.uk/NaturalSlugControl.html

Over time, the copper wire will probably develop a patina and become less effective.

I have some rhubarb down the back of my garden that were decimated by slugs last year. This year, the cold, dry spell has cut down the number of slugs and the rhubarb is doing very well. Just in case, I have put down a pine needle mulch around the base of the plants and I doubt if the little critters will like having to traverse the needly surface.

Over time, the copper wire will probably develop a patina and become less effective.

I had read about the copper on it's own and was worried about the oxidised layer protecting it. It is one area I hope to overcome with the powered unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Maybe it's just me.

But I let the slugs do there thing. Some plants get it bad. But I figure the time and effort put in too trying to keep them at bay take away for other duties. In saying that my garden doesn't suffer too bad. Sugar attacts slugs, and by accident I sent up slug traps. I have a few compost bins around the garden. Every now and then I open them up to pick a few worms out for bait, small slugs work just as well :)
    But when I leave the lid off and birds (especially Magpies) come in to see what's left. They go to town on the slugs and worms. Worms aren't bad, but it's the circle of life :)

My garden seems to be mostly slug free. It's the snails that cause me problems. I pay the kids to collect as many as they can, they throw them over the hedge into the field next to us.

To the poster with the electric fence. That is looking very nice :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Has anybody tried timber ash? I saw it mentioned on a slug control website so I cleaned out my woodpellet boiler and spread it around all my plants. To early to tell if its working though. Failing that I'll just have to let my ducks out!! I only have them a few weeks, the last two arrived yesterday so I havn't let them freerange yet but I will soon!!!:D

Advertisement