Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bushcraft Club thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

Another weekend at the IPNA and another weekend among some great people. We again had the pleasure of visiting the fast growing IPNA in Cahersiveen Co. Kerry. It has come along way since we first helped place the tarp over the classroom. Now complete with school house/kitchen, paths and facilities. It is good to see the guys/gals getting on so well.

I had the pleasure of meeting the first students on the residence program. Although I was disappointed not to be joining them, I am delighted to see them getting on so well.

P6200095.jpg
    Máires first ember spoon

P6200088.jpg
    Pontus one of the Res. students shared his passion for plants

P6200092.jpg
    Some of us managed to get our hands on fresh flint for our fire kits. Then I left it behind :-/

P6200084.jpg
    One of Aebhrics favorite lessons is the emergency fire. I wont ruin the lesson content. All Ill say is, if you do any of the bushcraft courses, you'll light plenty of these.

My Sincere thanks to Aebhric and Anna again for another fantastic gathering. My thanks also to Greg and Cat, with the Res students Ciara, Pontus and Bee. Their patience and time is greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

looks like it was great fun. wish i was there. myself and my bro were talking about doing the res course next year. its just a mad idea at the moment, but my fingers are crossed that life flows that direction.

been mad busy with various bushcraftings lately. will get pics up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

Hi,

Am very interested in this topic (I even bought the Ray Mears Knife £200+, 2yr waiting list and now I can't remember where I left it for safe keeping!)

From what I know all you need for bushcraft survival is; Knife, axe, boot laces, some pre-packed dehydrated meal pouches, DVD walkman (how else are you gonna remember how Ray did it), PSP (long night) and Solar charger for the batteries:D

Was seriously thinking of doing the arctic survival course in lapland (No, your thinking of angels!) with Lars Felt? This IPNA course sound like fun though as its much closer and warmer!

CS

ipna is a good option to consider before going abroad looking for similar i am sure.
    if that is a "survival" kit list, i would hate to see you equip a full expedition, although i would LOVE to see you try carry it. lol.

ipna is a good option to consider before going abroad looking for similar i am sure.
    if that is a "survival" kit list, i would hate to see you equip a full expedition, although i would LOVE to see you try carry it. lol.

Its good to see that your interested. I wouldnt focus too much on kit if you havent experienced that much of bushcraft. Its more important to get out there and experience things rather than what in the rucksack. These things matter of course but if you have a €300 ray mears knife or a €10 frost knife, the important thing is still knowledge.

If you are interested in doing a course there are plenty in the country. It may a good idea to get some experience here to enjoy an Artic course to its fullest.

• Advertisement

Im a bit late putting this up but if anyone is interested in coming to this weekends club outting. You can pm me

Well another great weekend in Co. Cavan and despite the weather we had a great time. Our thoughts were with those at Oxygen as we sat under Tonys tarp (thanks again Tony!) and drank tea and practiced some skills. We got a bit done and my wish for the weekend was to experiment with some tanning. I had some rabbit hides from a previous hunting trip that I wanted to play with. I hadnt done it before so it was all just a bit of playing around and seeing how I got on

Here are some of the pictures of the process. I tried a brain and egg mix and will smoke the hide when it dries. We'll see how it turns out.

P7110111.jpg
    P7110112.jpg
    P7110149-1.jpg

Maire wanted to try make a salve for infections and bleeding, it turned out quite well with a lovely natural green colour. She was just needed one of us to cut ourselves to see if it worked. No volunteers obviously

P7110121.jpg

We also had a go at firing some pots. I have done this in a ground over before but with the right clay and practice (minus one pot) they turned out fine.

P7110130.jpg

Still for me the most impressive experiment was Kevins Scandinavian fire log. This one log with only a little fuel cook his breakfast dinner and boiled water for his coffee. Kevin did this with a very wet piece of timber, out of the cover of the tarp. Fair play and it worked so well even in the rain with only the canopy covering him.

P7110142.jpg
    P7110145.jpg

We also managed to fit in another ground oven. This time a Chicken which was another sucess. Moist and delicious.

P7110124.jpg

It was a great weekend and most made it out despite the forecast. I look forward to our next outing in August all going well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jaycooper

fantastic thread!!! ( the other older 1 too) got my confirmation e-mail from bushcraft club (username cooper) so had to join up to catch up with all thats happening!!!

absolutely mad for getting into the woods!!!! i'm self employed so time off will never be an issue or will distance (i hope)

main priority will always be my 3 boys and wife and spending time with them but hopefully some carefully selected time in the woods with some like minded people will give me the skills i need to instill my love of the woods in the next generation!!

looking forward to getting chatting to ye all and meeting up at some stage over the next couple of months!!

keep up the good work

Cooper

Another weekend in Co. Cavan and the weather was much more cooperative. Although I was exhausted from work all week I had a great time. We experimented with lots of types of cordage. Kevin used brambles, the other Kevin and Flora gave the Willow a shot and I used a type of palm leaf that I think would be good enough for bow drilling with.

P8080166.jpg

P8080160.jpg

Maire made her first Willow basket which turned out very well

P8080171.jpg

P8080176.jpg

Myself and Tony also gave the hand drill a go. Given the difficulty of the hand drill in our climate, we teamed up. We got smoke, dust but were just short an ember

P8090185.jpg

Kevin also brought down his Ash bow project which seemed to be coming along well

P8090187.jpg

We also touched on bow drilling with wet, unseasoned material, making Rowan berry jelly (too early in them season for them) and also tested out our clay pots, identified different fungus and finished our debris hut.

All in all it was a great weekend. We did lots of exploring and had lots of experiments on the go. I cant wait for next month when a good deal of the berries, nuts and other edibles start to appear. Thanks to all those who came!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭FreeEnergy

Hi,

I'm in Wexford, is there anything happening anywhere near me?

Mark.

• Advertisement

about cordage; i have done a lot of experimenting with various things lately.
    1; 3 way twists. istead of laying down two sections and twisting, with a little finger juggling a 3 way twist is much more smooth and strong.
    2; willow. the yellow willow skin is the best for cordage i found. it comes off in strips very easily and has a texture of light leather. it is very strong and can just be used untwisted for lashings very effectively. but better twisted of course.
    3; bramble is easy enough to work once the spikes are off. the cordage becomes very brittle when dried. bramble would probably be better for making expedient baskets from than cordage, as you always have nettle.
    4; nettle. recently i have spent a long time experimenting with trying to get the fine white fibres only from nettle. very hard. i had no success with retting and skutching. i lose too much fibre. i strip out and thumbnail scrape it. takes a total age, but the strength and suppleness is totally off the charts. we are growing some flax to experiment with that.
    5; baskets. i made a few there recently. turned out pretty well, even though the willow was a bit rubbish due to improper seasoning. i will be harvesting a load of hazel, willow and brambles this winter as basketmaking is great fun and a good craft.

hope i can get to another meet before the winter sets in. take care guys!!

about cordage; i have done a lot of experimenting with various things lately.
    1; 3 way twists. istead of laying down two sections and twisting, with a little finger juggling a 3 way twist is much more smooth and strong.
    2; willow. the yellow willow skin is the best for cordage i found. it comes off in strips very easily and has a texture of light leather. it is very strong and can just be used untwisted for lashings very effectively. but better twisted of course.
    3; bramble is easy enough to work once the spikes are off. the cordage becomes very brittle when dried. bramble would probably be better for making expedient baskets from than cordage, as you always have nettle.
    4; nettle. recently i have spent a long time experimenting with trying to get the fine white fibres only from nettle. very hard. i had no success with retting and skutching. i lose too much fibre. i strip out and thumbnail scrape it. takes a total age, but the strength and suppleness is totally off the charts. we are growing some flax to experiment with that.
    5; baskets. i made a few there recently. turned out pretty well, even though the willow was a bit rubbish due to improper seasoning. i will be harvesting a load of hazel, willow and brambles this winter as basketmaking is great fun and a good craft.

hope i can get to another meet before the winter sets in. take care guys!!

Yeah I have done some expirements along those lines too. Nettle I found to be good but only when dried properly. It isnt the best cordage out there and thanks to a little tip from Kevin (Kevin number 2 that is) We found that by allowing it to simmer in charcoal water for an hour or so can make it extra supple and help seperate the fibres. When a little drier id say this cord could be used on a bow. It is also quiet uniform which makes it easy to work with. I also tried out a type of palm that is found in many Irish gardens, it is extremely strong. You'll have to show me that 3 ply technique Tim. I just twist the 2 ply into 4, still works quite well.
    FreeEnergy wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm in Wexford, is there anything happening anywhere near me?

Mark.

Hi Mark,

The club is not tied down to any one region. We have been in Galway, Wicklow, Kerry and Cavan. It depends on land permission, if someone down your neck of the woods is willing to allow us use their land, then we would have no problem hosting a gathering down there. We are currently trying to get smaller cells of bushcrafters meeting up in different areas, its all up to people putting in the effort to get land permission though. We have public liability insurance and are a Mountaineering Ireland club.

Well those who said bushcraft is all tea and bannock. This weekend was mainly concerned with building a winter shelter for the coming months. It was a good bit of work and took most of Saturday/Sunday to get this far. Thankfully the weather held off and all the heavy lifting and sawing is done. We will be filling the gaps as much as possible and making the door a little smaller. There is plenty of room for 4 people plus fire. We have debated on the size and are agreed that it is a bit big but we are going with it anway.

P9270290.jpg

It will be quite cool when finished but there is still a good bit to go.

We also did some small food experiments including making dandelion more palatable and making some use of the elder berries. Robert also played with boiling an egg in an orange, interesting taste apparently

P9270287.jpg

Robert also volunteered for sleeping in the debris hut

P9270285.jpg

Apart from the bit of labour, it was a nice and relaxing weekend. It will be very interesting to sleep in the group shelter when the weather gets worse. We have decided on a rule for sleeping in it. Every time you sleep in it, you must do one piece of maintenance to keep the shelter in good order.

This is the badger sett I unwittingly slept beside when I set up in the dark on Friday. It was quite active

P9270282.jpg

Luckily their reputation as fierce,ankle snapping, rabid lunatics seems quite unjustified. In fact I relocated the next evening and the sett was used that night with fresh tracks sitting at the entrance.

We will be back out next month so keep an eye on the site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭FreeEnergy

Hi,

Where is all this happening?
    I'm very interested and reasonably knowledgeable but lack locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭IPNA

It looked like a great time out. I am impressed with sleeping in a badger den.
    Well done!

IPNA wrote: »
    It looked like a great time out. I am impressed with sleeping in a badger den.
    Well done!

I could have sworn I could here them rustling around at night. Its all well and good when you're up in a hammock but when your on the ground with a bag full of food in it and you're using it as a pillow, paranoia sets in :-)

Well in our pursuit of greater knowledge on edibles, myself and Maire decided to tackle one of the trickier areas of wild food. The Mushrooms. We went on a Mushroom identification course run in Avondale House in Co. Wicklow by www.mushroomstuff.com

It was very informative and highlights the enjoyment of Mushroom picking. This activity is statistically the most dangerous activity in Europe, causing more deaths than any adventure sport. In Ireland we have about 25 species of edible fungus, 2,500+ non edible species and around 250 poisonous species. So statistically it can be difficult in identifying edible mushrooms without the help of Bill O'Dea and his team of Mycologists.

If you are passionate about mushrooms and interested in wild food than I would recommend this course.

PA030317.jpg

The day involves a lecture on the science of mycology and different edible, inedible and poisonous fungi. Then you hit the trail for some hunting

PA030300.jpg

Your eyes have to be keenly aware of where mushrooms might be hiding and the old expression of 'Keep mushrooms in the dark and feed the ****' isnt neccessarily true, as they can be found everywhere.

After 2 hours of hunting we managed to collect a small basket, not just gathering what we thought were edible. There are some guidelines for collecting that are good to bear in mind when collecting them.... mainly if you have a mycologist that can fit in your pocket, bring them.

PA030320.jpg

Some mushrooms you gotta sneak up on

PA030295.jpg

Others arent so well hidden. Still it is a good idea to take note of what tree you are picking them off for identification purposes

PA030312.jpg

I must say the knowledge of the whole team was very impressive and they were very good with their time. They are all very passionate about their study and wish to impart as much as they know upon you.

PA030323.jpg

One thing I can really respect about anyone who shares knowledge like this is their ability to turn around and say 'I dont know' when asked about something they arent sure of. Even the experts can get it wrong. I came away from the course with a better understanding about this type of food and of it importance both in modern living and what it might have been used for in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭neolithic

Its funny , The badgers were complaining about the noise coming from your sleeping bag !! I see there is an open meet planned by The Northern Ireland Bushcraft Association planned for the 15 Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

does the club do any days down in the cork area

Another weekend up in Cavan and you can start to feel winter coming. The difference in temperature is obvious and the winter sleeping bag came in handy. We got some of the basics covered including making good old char cloth, made some bushcraft seats for by the fire and also made some progress on the shelter

HPIM1518Large.jpg

I made a heat trap for to jerky some pork, it worked very well. The trap stood at the top of a tripod and was much more affective than leaving them over the open fire.

HPIM1530Large.jpg

The jerky was very nice

HPIM1527Large.jpg

I didnt get any photos of the seats but they were excellent, nice work lads! I didnt get any pictures of them because I forgot my camera.

HPIM1519Large.jpg

A nice relaxing weekend. We also do a scout of the area and found that Lough Sheelin is a 5 minute drive away. Im hoping to get a canadian canoe and get some fishing going so we can get some fish for dinner next time. It also means that we can test out any fishing spears, lines or traps we make on the lake. So if anyone knows of someone getting rid of a canoe, drop me a line :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Great to meet you on the weekend Guys (and Gal!).

Very impressed by your respect for the site :)

And I learned a few new things in the short time I was with you!

Hope to meet up with you again soon!

But...Kevin....did you HAVE to eat ALL 3 of those sausages????

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fireflame

crapbag, lough sheelin is licence fishing for all speceese of fish. its part of the river inny system .and spear fishing is not leagle in ireland .and the lough is big and can get quite stormy ,big waves. i got caught in one such storm in a fishing boat it was scary. could of turned into a survival situation . pm ;;me and i could help you sort something out boat and licence wise. (why is your bushcraft site down)

Wasnt aware spear fishing was illegal. Probably should have guessed.I have worked and trained on Blessington lake a good bit and had my share of bad weather out there. Ive sank, capsize and broken boats. So I have a bit of experience in that end. I scouted the lake and asked a local living on the lake about it and its licenses. I know it is stocked with pike and trout and the warden regularly checks boats (mostly for illegal shooting im told) The license is cheap enough for the year €35. He also gave a few other bits of useful info. Thanks for the heads up though

The site is down as I am moving to a new hosting company and taking it over. Im currently trying to thrash through a CMS to get it working

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

Crapbag wrote: »
    Another weekend up in Cavan and you can start to feel winter coming. The difference in temperature is obvious and the winter sleeping bag came in handy. We got some of the basics covered including making good old char cloth, made some bushcraft seats for by the fire and also made some progress on the shelter

HPIM1518Large.jpg

I made a heat trap for to jerky some pork, it worked very well. The trap stood at the top of a tripod and was much more affective than leaving them over the open fire.

HPIM1530Large.jpg

The jerky was very nice

HPIM1527Large.jpg

I didnt get any photos of the seats but they were excellent, nice work lads! I didnt get any pictures of them because I forgot my camera.

HPIM1519Large.jpg

A nice relaxing weekend. We also do a scout of the area and found that Lough Sheelin is a 5 minute drive away. Im hoping to get a canadian canoe and get some fishing going so we can get some fish for dinner next time. It also means that we can test out any fishing spears, lines or traps we make on the lake. So if anyone knows of someone getting rid of a canoe, drop me a line :-)

theres one on done deal at a good price

Thanks Feidlim. Possibly outside our budget though. Im gonna try pick one up from an activity centre or someone who is just trying to get rid of one. Its a long shot but hopefully one might present itself

I was asked by a mate of mine to run a bushcraft/survival course for Limerick County Venture scouts last weekend. As executive officer he wanted to re-introduce a good outdoor program for the county and asked me to put together a Bushcraft basics course to start it off. I was happy to oblige although I had never instructed these skills before. Andrew also volunteered to instruct on the course which was a great help. The course was based around making shelter, making fire, finding water and an introduction to food.

P1010341.jpg

I have to say that the Ventures were a pleasure to teach. They were very receptive, well behaved and enthusiastic. They all had a good bit of camping experience already so we concentrate more on wilderness living skills

PB070341.jpg

Our first topic was shelter. We went through the different types and shelter and built a medium term shelter. I explained the principles of the shelter and scouts had some experience already but never built a completely primitive one.

P1010348-1.jpg

We then we covered shetler we went on to fire. The uses of fire, different configurations and methods of lighting it. We went from the modern lighter and matches to the not so modern fire steel and eventually the bow drill. Nature once again taught us a valuable lesson. The forest was so damp after 2 weeks of rain it was very difficult to light fire using basic materials.

PB070346.jpg

From fire we moved to water and had a go trying to boil water in objects other than metal pots, such as plastic bottles. The idea being to try and think of a different way of solving a problem.

PB080352.jpg

Lastly we discussed food. We made some basic traps and discussed cooking. They really enjoyed the ground oven although it almost didnt happen due to the unsuitability of the local rock type.

P1010363.jpg

Altogether it was a very enjoyable weekend. We got alot covered and The ventures and leaders were a great group. We promoted the activity of bushcraft and the schools in this country and hopefully made some people think differently about their time in the forest

Well its very rare in life that you shake hands with a group of lads that you have an instant rapport with. The meeting between the Irish bushcraft club and the Northern Ireland Bushcraft Association was truly a meeting of minds. I have to extend my thanks and appreciation to Gary, Phil, Davey and Paul for their great hospitality and company. They invited us up to Carnfunnock for the weekend to finally get both of our organisations to meet. On our arrival the lads had cooked up a storm (special thanks to Davey on this) fit for anyone in or outside the woods.

PB140356.jpg

We got a fantastic traditional Ulster fry the next morning. Lovely stuff

PB150359.jpg

The evening was good craic and the banter was great.

PB140358.jpg

The next morning we were up early to explore the area. The Antrim coastline is one of the most scenic around we spent part of the morning exploring it. After that the lads had an open day to demonstrate what they were all about to some of the locals

PB150366.jpg

Then Paul brought them on a plant walk and demonstrated his excellent insight into many of the local plants and their uses. I picked up a few I didnt know of myself. All together it was a great weekend. Our hosts were generous with both their time and knowledge and the sharing of insight was great. I will certainly see more of the lads, sooner rather than later I hope

PB150369.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭neolithic

Five Star Bushcraft ! The NIBA set the standard for bushcraft hospitality, Five Stars. We were given a welcome that will be hard to beat. They had their meet up planned for the Sunday , the Lads got up early to cook a great breakfeast then brought us out along the coast (as in the previous post) then to the open day. Great location ,great knowledge and most important a great time. Thanks Guys for your time .
    First Five Star Bushcraft, Thanks
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

Just want to add my thanks to the NIBA for the hospitality and the craic. From the minute we arrived to when we left we were well looked after. Davey was the head chef for the weekend and cooked us fantastic meals. All of the lads are experienced bushcrafters who were more than happy to share their knowledge with us over the weekend. I think we all learned a lot from them.

Thanks again Gary, Phil, Davey and Paul. Hopefully we will see ye soon so that we get a chance to repay the hospitality.

Andrew
    progress.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Eo gan Feasa

Hey, my first time on this site!! I like what ye are doinig and im extremely interested!!! im a beginnner who is sick of reading books on the sudject and is willing to learn more practical skills!!! where and when is your next couple of meetings?? any chance its near limerick:)oh and one more question!!! Are there anymore fungi courses on at the moment or is it too late??? Take it easy!!!!

Advertisement