Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pilot Season 2008 [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Didn't enjoy Swingtown. hate to say it but it might've worked as a cable show.

Thought Middleman was OK. I think its on ABC family too (and not the main ABC channel) so pressure isn't as intense. Could easily find itself a nice little audience there (although the show is actually rated TV 14 and contains a couple of excellent swearing jokes in it)

Have Fringe to watch. not that pushed to do so though

• Registered Users Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Both 'Pretty Handsome' and 'Do Not Disturb' both sound like misses!

I think Ponster reviews sums up my opinion on 'True Blood' quite well.. especially his thoughts that the failings of the show lie on how uninteresting and bland the characters are. But I wouldn't call the writing unusual.. I'd just say it was plain crap!

Which I never thought I'd say as Alan Ball used to be one of my favourite writers. Some of the dialogue was very "soap opera-ish" in it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

basquille wrote: »
    'Do Not Disturb' both sound like misses!

But, but... it's hilarious! Not to mention hot, in, chic, stylish, hip and dynamic. Someone's buzzword generator was working overtime there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Both 'Pretty Handsome' and 'Do Not Disturb' both sound like misses!

Ive made it a point to watch most pilots bar the reality/gameshows because there are some great shows that go un-noticed like "Knights of prosperity - robbin from the rich to give to themselves" im still waiting for the DVD

• Registered Users Posts: 55,481 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Go for it! Looking forward to your reviews, User45701.... you might find a hidden gem for us. :)

• Advertisement

Another one.....
    Raising The Bar: A group of young lawyer friends and former law school classmates find themselves on opposing sides in this fresh legal drama on TNT.

Raising the Bar is produced by ABC Studios in association with Bochco Media. 10 episodes has been ordered by the network.

"Fresh legal drama"? I'm sorry but isn't that a contradiction! :D

How many legal dramas have we had in the last few years?!

Oh God.. and it's got Zack Morris from 'Saved By The Bell' in it! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just watched "Fringe", really enjoyed it, kinda like the xfiles except Mulder is a hawt female.

Looks like an interesting story arc also.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

User45701 wrote: »
    Ive made it a point to watch most pilots bar the reality/gameshows because there are some great shows that go un-noticed like "Knights of prosperity - robbin from the rich to give to themselves" im still waiting for the DVD

Be our guinea pig User, and let us know what you think. I remember when Heroes was first announced, it sound like awful tripe, so perhaps there'll be another surprise this year. I'm not holding much hope for Pretty Handsome though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ah, but heroes sounded like awful tripe because it *is* awful tripe.

• Advertisement

Finally sat down to watch Fringe this morning.... I thought it was terrific, but I'm worried that it might be just a tad 'too' sci-fi for the general masses.

That, combined with the fact that its on Fox, is ringing alarm bells for me.

I hope it catches on, I really do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

"Fresh legal drama"? I'm sorry but isn't that a contradiction! :D

How many legal dramas have we had in the last few years?!

Oh God.. and it's got Zack Morris from 'Saved By The Bell' in it! :o
    Ah come on now, he was great in NYPD Blues and he has done a helluva lot better than the rest of the cast. Tiffany Amber-Thiesen included...

That said, it does sound kinda shítty :p

P.s. Oih, Mord! NO! Bad Mordeth, bad!

Another one out this morning....
    Leverage: A team of Robin Hood-like thieves, hackers, and grifters are out for revenge against those who horde the power in this TNT drama project.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

I heard that has Christine Kane in one of the lead roles. Could be worth a look for Mr. Lindsay McDonald alone :D

Of the other pilots, I've acquired LOM , Middlemen and True Blood but not watched them yet. Disapointed by the poor reaction to True Blood, will still give it a look though. Middleman is prop gonna be watched now in a minute, and LOM.......well, I'm dreading watching that, after the trailar.

I did however watch the Fringe pilot, liked it a lot. The 3 leads have great chemistry[I agree about Joshua Jackson's characters scarcastic 'quibs' though, needs to be toned down] and Jackson surprised me, he was quite good, last time I saw or heard of him was in the good awful ''The Skulls''. The diologue seemed a little chunky and unfinished at some parts, could prop have done with a script polish. The arc sounds promising, but I'm more concerned how they protray the storyline week to week. Will it just be the X-Files all over again, ala ''Monster of the week'' episodes some weeks, and arc episodes the others? Hopefully not, Abhrams has always been inovative, hopefully he breaks from the mould.

I kind of liked The Skulls (the 2 DVD sequels were awful though).
    I heard that has Christine Kane in one of the lead roles.

...and its Christian Kane (if he has become Christine, then its a whoooooole other kind of show) :)

I kind of liked Leverage... it shows potential.

I thought the David Holmes-esque soundtrack was really annoying.... tried TOO hard make it sound like Oceans 11, the TV Show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Watched the Life On Mars pilot. i think people are being a bit too harsh on it. Personnally I thought it did a decent job, and assuming it diverges from the original (in the same way the office did) I can see this becoming a very entertaining and successful show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Just watched the Leverage pilot. It is basically an US remake of Hustle altered slightly for the American market. Even the music is the same as that used in Hustle. It was quite good though so if you like Hustle I would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

any idea when the dollhouse pilot sill be surfacing?

I think I read somewhere that it was January, I think...

• Advertisement

Ivan wrote: »
    I think I read somewhere that it was January, I think...
    That's when it'll air but odds are a pilot will leak over the Summer.

But these leaks don't typically have a timeframe. If it doesn't leak before the September, odds are it won't leak.

But I'll say it'll leak in the next month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

According to WikiPedia:

"Fox has decided to forgo the pilot episode of the series, opting to put funds towards the construction of the elaborate set and cultural context of the television series."

So looks like no pilot to leak... if this can be believed.

Ludo wrote: »
    According to WikiPedia:

"Fox has decided to forgo the pilot episode of the series, opting to put funds towards the construction of the elaborate set and cultural context of the television series."

So looks like no pilot to leak... if this can be believed.
    There was an early pilot though. - I mean we've seen footage from it and Fox wouldn't commission a series without a pilot at the very least.

I'd say we'll get a pilot but it may change quite a bit from the finished product.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Ivan wrote: »
    True Blood was pretty dog shít awful imho. Only redeemable factor was Anna Paquin's tits, though that is almost immediately countered by her two front teeth.

rofl

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Here's my 2c worth on the ones I've watched

True Blood: Like stirring porridge. Found it weak, dull and it is completely inexplicable why they chose the setting
    A bar in some Hicksville spot that only serves for them all to get out their southern accents.
    . A pass for me.

Leverage: Light , mishmash of Hustle, Sneakers and any number of con movies and harmless at that. Nothing special but not offensive either.

Fringe: Liked this a lot as well but as posted there was a fair bit to the material in it. I also thought there was some good work by the main characters and some decent acting as well. Not the X Files but remains to be seen whether it can get an audience beyond that type of fan. Would like to see it get a season but it may not.

Life on Mars: Suffers badly from comparison with the excellent original. However hard you try to be objective it's always there. As commented it's also let down by Jason O'Mara's "acting". IMO he's more of a soap actor and doesn't seem to be able to get beyond that. Colm Meaney does his best but the writing just seems a bit off in the pilot although the delectable Rachelle Lefevre is a fine addition. Even so the writers don't seem to have got it right in that the cops in the 70s seem exactly the same as you'd find in Law & Order or NYPD Blue. Even Annie is a bit too knowing. Can take it or leave it based on that.

I watched Swingtown last night. Thought it was quite good, as a single episode that is. I'm not so sure where the series will go now though. There doesn't seem to be too much to it, other that what's in the pilot, and that's pretty much done now.

Must watch Leverage next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

My lord, Life on Mars remake? Christ! It was ok, definitely didn't warrant a remake...
    Looking forward to True Blood because Alan Ball could **** on a tv for a few hours and I'd still be ready to efend it after Six Feet Under....

doonothing wrote: »
    My lord, Life on Mars remake? Christ! It was ok, definitely didn't warrant a remake...
    Looking forward to True Blood because Alan Ball could **** on a tv for a few hours and I'd still be ready to efend it after Six Feet Under....
    Well, you really are going to have to put that gung-ho fanboism to the test... because he does seem to have done just that...

Have to agree with Ivan..

I adore Alan Ball's writing but 'True Blood' really was as far from Alan Ball as you could imagine. Absolutely atrocious!

• Advertisement

Couple of new ones out today, folks.

East Bound and Down: Created by Will Ferrell and Adam McKay, this half-hour comedy follows a former professional baseball player who returns to his hometown in the South to take a job as a substitute gym teacher. (tv.com)

The Mentalist: The Mentalist tells the tale of Patrick Jane who is employed as an independent detective working with the California Bureau of Investigation to solve crimes. He has refined his observations skills to a near perfect level and lends these skills to the CBI to help them solve cases. The team that he works with consists of the senior agent, Teresa Gibson, agents Kimball Cho & Wayne Rigsby and the rookie, Grace Van Pelt.

Advertisement