Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics lets help

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

I'd say you should. Hopefully we'll get three micro. (Please God, please) Elasticity maybe, it wasnt up last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

luvlad. wrote: »
    omg paper leek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIAsv7LS0wc

why are you not banned yet?

I think he's that salman guy come back to haunt us. Sad really, seeking attention over the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shanedownfall

Any chance someone could explain this to me. Just don't follow what's going on at all!...

GDP at current market prices
    +/- Net factor income from the rest of the world
    = GNP at current market prices
    - indirect taxes
    + subsidies
    = GNP at factor cost
    - depreciation
    = National income (net national product at factor cost)

I barely understand any of this :(... What is current market prices? What is factor cost?... Why is all these steps involved?... What's the difference between GDP and GNP?

you probably don't need to know that. just know the relationships between all you GNP/GDP stuff.

GNP at whatever = GDP at whatever + Net factor Income.

Net factor income for Ireland is negative so for Ireland that + would be a - and GDP would be greater than GNP. it makes sense if you hink about it. because GDP (goods produced by foreign and national comanies producing in irland) is abviously bigger than GNP (goods + services produced by Irish comanies producing anywhere in the world)

GNP (or GDP ) at current market prices = GNP (or GDP ) at factor cost + Tax - subsidies.

and then know definitons for GNP and GDP each at market prices and at factor cost. Do you know what GNP, GDP, Net Factor Income and National Income mean??? if you dont you should learn them if you want to do the national income question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shanedownfall

Cheers for that man ;)... I've a feeling something might come up on it if national income is on the paper. It hasn't appeared in a while.

Sorry just seen your edit... I know what national income is, and i now know what what GDP and GNP are. But net factor income?

Net Factor Income = (Income from irish companies abroad-income from foreign companies in Ireland) Negative due to foreign companies in Ireland repatriating profits

i think its safe to say the quoz is over! whoever came up with the name quoz is a genius, though it was probably a typo. good luck tomorow!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Peleus wrote: »
    i think its safe to say the quoz is over! whoever came up with the name quoz is a genius, though it was probably a typo. good luck tomorow!

Good Luck:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Thank you.

Pfft, typo... Thats an insult!

Good luck everyone

• Advertisement

Thank you.

Pfft, typo... Thats an insult!

Good luck everyone

Good luck mate

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

This is sick. Only started studying about an hour ago.
    I'm thinking supply and demand, national income, elasticity, and wing the rest.

minty16 wrote: »
    This is sick. Only started studying about an hour ago.
    I'm thinking supply and demand, national income, elasticity, and wing the rest.

I sent you a msg

Nice one. I'm seriously considering an all nighter. Want to do alright in my last exam considering i ****ed up everything else. 6 honours subs and im looking at 300 if i'm lucky.. :(

Nice one. I'm seriously considering an all nighter. Want to do alright in my last exam considering i ****ed up everything else. 6 honours subs and im looking at 300 if i'm lucky.. :(

Yeah thats what im doing but dont stress you got the questions

look over long run equilibrium supply diagram and how to explain,3 barriers to entry,price discriminaton and example and 3 conditons which must exist to enable a firm to practice price discrimination in monopoly

Cheers. At least I'm not alone. You confident about all of this coming up ?

Cheers. At least I'm not alone. You confident about all of this coming up ?

Yeah Im fairly coinfident :D just hope it pays off

Haha, sure I'm desperate anyway.
    Good luck tomorrow and nice one again.

Haha, sure I'm desperate anyway.
    Good luck tomorrow and nice one again.

no probs and it is tommorow lol

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

Thought I'd revive this.

Define:

The Law of Equi-Marginal Returns

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Whats are the causes of a decrease in demand of housing market?
    I'm gonna guess:

High Interest Rates:
    high interest rates would discourage borrowing and encourage saving. High interest rates would discourage buyers from taking out a mortgage as they will pay a lot more in the long run. Because of these interest rates, people are saving their money rather than buying homes, so the demand for housing is decreased.

Real incomes reduced by inflation
    Due to our rate of inflation of approx 5%, buyers have less disposable income and their cost of living has risen. The amount of money they have will be saved to earn interest rather than be spent on a mortgage that will grow and cost them a lot of money in the long run. Therefore People are saving their money and the demand for housing has decreased.

The usual interest and inflation trick. Works for every question!

Interest rates are very low at the moment so I'm not sure about your first point and inflation is hovering around zero so I'm not sure about your second point either.

Reasons I'd say are:
    1. Basically, for the last few years the banks have been giving bad loans and too high mortgages to just about everyone. Developers thus built huge housing developemnts etc. they are lying idle around the country now.

2. Ah, banks aren't lending at the moment. Simple as really. Also, demand is low because people's real incomes have been reduced with levies etc.

3. People expect house prices to fall even further so are not buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Thought I'd revive this.

Define:

The Law of Equi-Marginal Returns

To maximise utility, allocate expenditure in such a way that the ratio of marginal utility to price is the same for all goods bought.

Define The Tax Wedge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

JSK 252 wrote: »
    To maximise utility, allocate expenditure in such a way that the ratio of marginal utility to price is the same for all goods bought.

Define The Tax Wedge

The difference between the after-tax of an employee and the wages, including Employer taxes, which it costs the employer.

Define price rigidity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 QuoiFaireX

PRICE RIGIDITY when prices tend not to change even if costs have
    changed in order to avoid reactions from competitors...

Whats the difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

QuoiFaireX wrote: »
    PRICE RIGIDITY when prices tend not to change even if costs have
    changed in order to avoid reactions from competitors...

Whats the difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion?;)
    Tax Avoidance = LEGAL methods to avoid paying certain taxes (people saving with An Post dont pay DIRT im pretty sure)

Tax Evasion = ILLEGAL = not declaring full income or working in black economy, yeah i reckon we keep this up and running, its a good memory tool.

What is the National Treasury Management Agency responsible for|?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

What is the National Treasury Management Agency responsible for|?

It is responsible for managing assets and liabilities on behalf of the Irish Government. It also manages other Government funds such as the Social Insurance Fund and the Dormant Accounts Fund and it borrows on behalf of the Housing Finance Agency.
    It was established in 1990 as far as I know!!

What are the main teachings of economist J M Keynes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭7Steve

alan1990 wrote: »

What are the main teachings of economist J M Keynes?

Liquidity Preference Theory,The Multiplier, and Government Intervention.

Define: Economic Rent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

7Steve wrote: »
    Define: Economic Rent

The payment to a factor of production above its transfer earnings

What are the canons of taxation

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

Canons of taxation:

Certainty
    Convenience
    Equity
    Economy

State 4 economic assumptions used for analysing consumer behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Canons of taxation:

Certainty
    Convenience
    Equity
    Economy

State 4 economic assumptions used for analysing consumer behaviour.

Consumers act rationally
    Consumers only buy economic goods
    Oppurtunity cost is involved
    The Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility applies

State 5 reasons why countries trade with each other.

Advertisement