Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 5 - I'm in!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭justaquestion

SUCH A LONG TIME SINCE I POPSTED HERE BUT THOUGHT I WOULD SAY HELLO. BEEN SO BUSY OVER THE LAST FIVE MONTHS. PASSED OUT A FEW WEEKS AGO. AS PEOPLE HAVE ALREADY SAID----ANYONE WHO IS OF SMALL STATURE (IE 9STONE OR LESS) START WEIGHTS. ONLY ONE PERSON IN MY SQUAD DIDNT PASS OUT AND IT WAS BECAUSE OF THE PUSH/PULL. SHE WAS ONLY 1 KG OFF BUT THAT IS HOW STRICT IT IS.
    ANYWAY, THE TRAINING WILL FLY IN FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT ARE IN AND IM SURE IVE ALREADY SEEN SOME OF YOU ABOUT.

GOODCOPBADCOP, CONGRATS. I GAVE UP HOPE ON YOU GETTING IN TO BE HONEST (AS DID YOU), BUT NOW YOU'RE IN, MAKE SURE YOU PASS OUT. THE PRIDE YOU WILL FEEL IN PASSING OUT IS AMAZING.

GOODNIGHT
    JUSTAQUESTION

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

thanks mate, good to hear you are passed out now, now the fun begins! Im a bit nervous about starting but everyone will be. I didnt realise they were so strict with how you do in training, would be absolutely gutting to not become an officer after all that training. i would need to make sure I dont mess it up as im quitting a degree to become a police officer :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wanalaugh

Guys not tryin to panic anyone, but the course has changed since Aug. So dont think its just the PE side that you can fail on. As many of us guys who started in Aug will tell you, there is no such thing as free time, its all study study study. Try and add in the PE and breathing lol, its a tight first 4 weeks. So put your full effort in, and work as a team. The biggest mistake someone can make is to think they can complete and pass the course on their own. At times I thought...maybe i made a mistake packing in my old job. But trust me, its the best decision ive ever made. The days are long and its an emotional roller coaster, but it will be worth it. We have a definitions test on Monday, so you guys have 5 weeks to learn 10 of the definitions word for word. So if you havent started, get them out tonight and get a head start. Trust me, when it comes test time, you will thank me for the advice. For those starting in Oct, get a copy of the defs of one of the guys on here and start into them, it will give you so much of a head start......See you all in the hotel :D

anyone want to pm some definitions? When you say test, do you write them down or say them out to someone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr.Anderson

Could someone also be kind enough to pm me the definitions too?
    Sounds like it's going to be very tough indeed, but i guess that's expected! Has anyone actually failed these tests in the past and not been allowed to go on?

You have to write them down, and you have 1 hr to do all ten of them.
    When I was at school many many moons ago (no comment Par or Alan lol), I was hopeless at remembering paragraphs from poems etc. And when I was told about the defs, i panicked. But trust me, if you put in the time, you can do it. The problem with the defs is that if you get a simple word like or & and wrong it can change the whole meaning of the definition. If you know someone in the police, ask them to get you a copy of the defs. The booklet has 35 defs in it, and you need to know 30 of them by week 15 and the rest by the end of/ or throughout the course as required.
    Dont panic though, it can be done.

wanalaugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bullslinebacker

Yeah, could someone PM me some defs as well?

Mr Anderson, dont get all worked up about it. Yes its tough going, but its achievable. If you go in and put the effort in, you will pass. If you go in and mess around and dont put the effort in, then its bye bye and back into civi street. If you fail an exam, you get one resit. If you fail that then it would most likely end up putting you out :eek:
    However, as far as im aware, no one ever fails resits. But that :eek:doesent mean you dont have to try.
    Get one of the guys who starts next week to type them up and post them on here. They where all given a copy at the SRN night. I would do it, but trust me im up to my spools in it lol

wanalaugh

just a question on exams, how hard are they? I mean I have done biochemistry, chemistry, physiology at university level and passed those so I would feel confident enough having to learn new stuff, im definitely not thick, would just hate to go in thinking its going to be fairly easy and get a shock

Someone else from previous intakes would be best at answering this. However its all multiple choice, so the answer is in front of you, the only thing is, you still need to know what you are looking for. Its all about law, so theres no room for error matey. Its not unachievable, its all about the effort you put in. Go in with a positive attitude....I say to myself 'its not will i pass, its how well will i do'. 21 weeks of hard work, but its worth it for the rest of your life guys.
    My lifes on hold at the mo, and as someone told me in Garnerville, it takes over your life for 21 weeks. And so far, for these 4 weeks, it has ruled it. But again, it will be worth it.

wanalaugh

• Advertisement

I do tend to stress about exams and things a bit, always have done but I think it makes me put in the work for them cause i dont like to fail. i know when i get into garnerville I am going to get stuck into it as much as I can. At least it is relevant to the job and interesting, should make learning it more enjoyable... oh and you are getting paid :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭ciaran2008

Got the call for the october intake! anyone else in for it?

So delighted its unbelievabe :D

Huge huge congrats gcbc. .

It has been obivous to me since I joined this thread that you really wanted this so again huge congrats ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Hey, havent been on in a while cause my computer was bust. Its a bit late now- but congrats to all who start in october :D:D

Is it two people you can bring on the SRN? Just got my appointments pack, it seems more real now.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭New Recruit

Yes a maximum of 2 guests for the SRN and you must ring the number to register your car reg and your guests.

had a proper read through it there, just read that. Must get on to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭owen1976

Just want to say good luck to everyone starting tomorrow. Wish you all the best with it!!!:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

owen1976 wrote: »
    Just want to say good luck to everyone starting tomorrow. Wish you all the best with it!!!:D:D:D:D

I'll second that. Best of luck to everyone!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr.Anderson

Yes a maximum of 2 guests for the SRN and you must ring the number to register your car reg and your guests.

That bit, i must have skipped over, will need to do that asap! Thanks for reminding us New Recruit!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭MAKEPEACE

Hi,
    Well done everyone! Just back from honeymoon and found pack waiting sent acceptence asap for October. Saw GCBC is in looks like i'll see you there Relief after how many months was it? :D

MAKEPEACE wrote: »
    Hi,
    Well done everyone! Just back from honeymoon and found pack waiting sent acceptence asap for October. Saw GCBC is in looks like i'll see you there Relief after how many months was it? :D

Congrats on the wedding and best of luck for October. Yeah GCBC. Our homeboy made it!! We're taking him out and gettin him VERY DRUNK to celebrate!:P

Just been reading back posts can someone pm me the defs? Also I'm only 8 1/2 stone so in the next four weeks I am going to target upper body and leg strength. Someone I know in it said there was a person smaller than me who passed as it is about power but also technique use legs and arms people!

MAKEPEACE wrote: »
    Just been reading back posts can someone pm me the defs? Also I'm only 8 1/2 stone so in the next four weeks I am going to target upper body and leg strength. Someone I know in it said there was a person smaller than me who passed as it is about power but also technique use legs and arms people!

You'll get the definitions at your SRN.:eek:

congrats mate, look forward to seeing you up there. Must have been a nice surprise to find that when you got back!!

Yeah it was great, a little nerve wracking too, don't want to mess it up. Wanted to come in today and tell bosses I quit only to discover they are both off on the sick...that's what admin does to you.

Cheers MGH I did't read the posts properly doh. Just so excited I wanna get stuck in now.

Does 26kg push pull machine translate into weights in the gym (that is probably a really stupid question but I'm trying to establish where I should be in terms of how much I can lift in gym in relation to the requirements for this nightmare contraption:eek:)

• Advertisement

I cant imagine anyone failing this push pull test unless you are the size of a p5 school girl.. if you are really worried about it and want to get stronger, then you have to start pushing things, and pulling them. Or in other words, start pumping iron.

Bench press
    Military press
    dips
    rows
    deadlifts
    pull ups

Getting on it first thing tomorrow night when I obtain my first gym membership card. Omg I'm starting to use direct debits ahhh!
    I'm sure you have been doing some celebrating. Really chuffed for everyone.

I been celebrating alright, more than once, everytime friends are going out for a sesh i just think well might as well celebrate again.. its catching up on the bank balance though.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

push pull can be easier depending on your height, as its a standing push/pull, i think its set for the national average height of 5ft 10ins.

I been celebrating alright, more than once, everytime friends are going out for a sesh i just think well might as well celebrate again.. its catching up on the bank balance though.

We need you in fine fettle for your boards send off - look on this as training!! :P

• Advertisement

pb999 wrote: »
    push pull can be easier depending on your height, as its a standing push/pull, i think its set for the national average height of 5ft 10ins.

What!?!?! That does not make me feel better I am 5"1 so I will be stretching too :eek:

Surely they will adjust the height of it?! Surely? Im only 5ft 7'':(

I'm not drinking till after training. Not a big drinker anymore anyway I can defo boogie without it! I also always fall over when I'm tipsy...at my hen night my sister got me sozzled and I nearly broke my arm so I don't wanna be doing anything that stupid again. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

6ft 6" haha

:eek:Ok Mr Giant, girls aren't meant to be 6ft 6" so i guess im ok height wise:cool:. Bet your PSNI issue trousers will be too short!!! :D:D

haha i saw a girl who was bigger than me in the paper the other day. was the sun or one of those other useless ones. id freak out round her!!!

and are they standard psni issue trousers hahaha. my legs are loooong. i mean hideously long! i thought they could tailor them to fit ya!!!

smyff wrote: »
    haha i saw a girl who was bigger than me in the paper the other day. was the sun or one of those other useless ones. id freak out round her!!!

and are they standard psni issue trousers hahaha. my legs are loooong. i mean hideously long! i thought they could tailor them to fit ya!!!

Your trouser legs are pure going to be stopping at your knees!!!! HAHAHA LOL!!!:D:D

Na, i dont know what way they measure uniforms etc.:confused:

Your trouser legs are pure going to be stopping at your knees!!!! HAHAHA LOL!!!:D:D

Thank heavens I am a very respectable 5'5"
    No problems wiv ma breeks!!!LOL
    ;)

haha you sure theyre not just gonna stop at the knees. theyre pure going to be stopping there are they?! woah. thats pretty bad that!!!

MGH, i am head and shoulders taller than you :) PYG, your not much better haha

haha you sure theyre not just gonna stop at the knees. theyre pure going to be stopping there are they?! woah. thats pretty bad that!!!

MGH, i am head and shoulders taller than you :) PYG, your not much better haha

Size isnt everything......:P

• Advertisement

Size isnt everything......:P

only to those, of whom lack such :D (if that grammar is correct lmao)

only to those, of whom lack such :D (if that grammar is correct lmao)

Okayyyy if you believe the best things come in small packages matey....who am I to burst your bubble!!!:cool:

Surely they will adjust the height of it?! Surely? Im only 5ft 7'':(

the idea is to replicate struggling with someone out on the street and i doubt said suspect will get down on his or her knees to even things up and make it a bit fairer on the peeler so i seriously doubt the height will be adjusted in the test ;).

pb999 wrote: »
    the idea is to replicate struggling with someone out on the street and i doubt said suspect will get down on his or her knees to even things up and make it a bit fairer on the peeler so i seriously doubt the height will be adjusted in the test ;).

They show you it in the DVD you get when you leave your AC. The actress in it was one of my roleplay actors! ( and she was total be-atch in the roleplay LOL )

She's about my height. It looks totally do-able. Still pumping iron though in anticipation :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Griffer2

Just back from pumping iron myself in anticipation trying to peel an orange and i have no strength left :(

They show you it in the DVD you get when you leave your AC. The actress in it was one of my roleplay actors! ( and she was total be-atch in the roleplay LOL )

She's about my height. It looks totally do-able. Still pumping iron though in anticipation :D

I had her too. Bleuhh!!!:mad:

I had her too. Bleuhh!!!:mad:

Altogether now, BOOOOOO!!! Hissssssss!!!

Knowing my luck I'll probably get her again next year!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

Got the call a few hours ago!! Starting the November intake :) Can't wait!! The call came completely out of the blue since my vetting has been ongoing forever! I cant stop smiling!! :D

Anybody else heard?

big congrats mate, what date is the november intake? i take it you are from campaign 13 by what you said about length of vetting???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 NumberC

BoutYe wrote: »
    Got the call a few hours ago!! Starting the November intake :) Can't wait!! The call came completely out of the blue since my vetting has been ongoing forever! I cant stop smiling!! :D

Anybody else heard?

Well done!! Am so jealous... Do you mind me asking what your merit score was and from what background? I'm below 400 - and just wondering whether there was any chance...ahhhh the waiting is driving me mental!!!

Advertisement