Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS Device for cycling

Options
  • 13-06-2008 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭

Do many people here use a GPS for tracking cycling stats etc?

I'm going to buy a cycle computer shortly but have birthday coming up so if a GPS device is a worthwhile gadget to get, I might drop some hints.

If it happened to also be of use for directions in the car, that'd be a big bonus. But if it did things like show me total metres ascended/descended, speed, distance, route, heart rate etc. it might keep things interesting with the cycling I plan doing when I recover from recent and forthcoming surgery.

Online would probably give best deals, right? I'll be in Atlanta in July so could pick it up there if cheaper, or could get it posted to a friend in New York if needed. So any suggestions for brands and models to look, and also any particular features to go for, are much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

The latest garmin edge sounds like what you're looking for. Very expensive though. Earlier versions of the edge (205 / 305) are cheaper but don't have a directions feature. I wanted one of these for ages but to be honest I got by with OS maps and street guides and now don't even need those as I know plenty of routes at this stage. Saved myself a fortune (price of a bike) doing it the old fashioned way.

I'd still love to have one but am not willing to pay so much for something that isn't really essential for my needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Directions feature on GPS is not very useful for cycling as while you can tell it to keep you off motorways, it's only interested in finding the quickest or most direct route for you, not the route you would choose. That and, missing roads (especially the small ones), wrong coordinates and an annoying emphisis on road numbers rather than town names make GPS cumbersome.

The training gadgets like the Garmin 305 don't do directions but will record your activitity and you can overlay the details onto Google Earth when you get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have an Edge 305 and it's great (when it works, they are quite tempremental.) Doesn't do mapping though. You can pre-program a route into it and it will give you notification of where to go at the turns. This is a bit fiddly but it does basically work (used it on the Mick Byrne 200 and the W200 last year.) Nothing like a car GPS though, if you go off course it will just tell you that you are "X metres from course", it can't recalculate the route.

Was talking to someone with a 705 on this year's W200- he said it was not worth the upgrade. The mapping on the 705 is very expensive (more so than a cheap car GPS) and the screen small compared to a car navigation GPS. You will get a 305 a lot cheaper now that the 705 is out. (Note despite this advice I will probably upgrade myself anyway ;-)

So while they don't really do route direction/mapping, they do plot your progress very well- you can really get a handle on how you are improving (or disimproving!) On the bike itself, heart rate, altitude, grade and cadence are very nice to have.

cyclopath's points are valid although on "car" navigation GPSes you can get around this by setting "via" points. I have brought a "car" GPS with me on a long cycle where I didn't know the way before and it was marginally useful but in this particular circumstance a map was better. One thing I did find handy was how it could tell me upcoming distances, so I could figure out that taking this road rather than that road added 20km to the journey, etc. Battery life was a big concern as it only did 3 hours (I guess most of them expect to be plugged in to a cigarette lighter.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I have the Garmin Forerunner 305. It is designed for use when running and cycling. It requires a separate bike mount, but it can be easily mounted to the handlebars with out it. It's a great piece of kit. There is a newer version out now, 405, which looks neater.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Raam wrote: »
    I have the Garmin Forerunner 305. It is designed for use when running and cycling. It requires a separate bike mount, but it can be easily mounted to the handlebars with out it. It's a great piece of kit. There is a newer version out now, 405, which looks neater.

I have the forerunner 305 too, but on the bike it isn't really that much better than a bike computer with heart rate imo. Although you can get a wireless cadence sensor to go with it.

Was looking at the 405 myself, a little nicer but not sure can justify the upgrade. 305s aren't getting much on ebay, guess could use it as a bike mounted one the whole time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EH

You should consider a Nokia N95 mobile. It comes with built in GPS and street level maps. You can download the Nokia Sports Tracker free from there web site which give you the ability to track your rides, create routes and then export them to Google Earth. There's no heart monitor and unless you get a GPS with a separate altimeter the height gain will be very inaccurate. It also displays your speed, distance etc on the screen. Check out the below review:

http://www.s60.com/life/application/featured/news?action=archiveNews&whatshot=1&pbId=64&appweek=1&hotNewsId=401

The fact that Nokia are about to release the N96 and the recent release of the iphone 3G will mean the N95's will come down in price soon.

EH

copacetic wrote: »
    I have the forerunner 305 too, but on the bike it isn't really that much better than a bike computer with heart rate imo. Although you can get a wireless cadence sensor to go with it.

Was looking at the 405 myself, a little nicer but not sure can justify the upgrade. 305s aren't getting much on ebay, guess could use it as a bike mounted one the whole time.

Mostly I bought it for the HRM, cadence and the ability to keep a log of what I've done.
    Map-wise, it's basic. It can be useful, but I wouldn't rely on it.

Raam wrote: »
    Mostly I bought it for the HRM, cadence and the ability to keep a log of what I've done.
    Map-wise, it's basic. It can be useful, but I wouldn't rely on it.

never used the map and didn't buy the cadence myself. not at the level where I need it really. Have stopped using the hrm myself too.

What I like about it most is having a record of all running and cycling without any effort. Just remember to wear it and thats it, sync it once or twice a month and you can't fool yourself about how much you think you have done.

How do you mount yours on the bars? Mine doesn't fit, too loose, even when on last hole. was gonna buy a timex mount for 5 quid or something to fit it on?

How do you mount yours on the bars? Mine doesn't fit, too loose, even when on last hole. was gonna buy a timex mount for 5 quid or something to fit it on?

I've stopped using the HRM too, it's freezing when you put it on!

I used to strap the watch around my light mount on the handlebars, but that got annoying, so I ordered one of these from Amazon. It is much more practical as it allows you to clip the watch on very easily. It requires that you completely remove the existing straps from the watch, however, it comes with a velcro strap that you can wear on your wrist, and then just clip the watch on to in the same way as you would to the handlebar mount.
    When I ordered, Amazon weren't shipping some stuff to Ireland, so I had to get it sent to a mate in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I just taped some foam (1-2 inches thick) onto my handlebars and then mounted the 305 onto the foam. It doesn't cost anything and it works. Doesn't look great though ;)

• Advertisement

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I just taped some foam (1-2 inches thick) onto my handlebars and then mounted the 305 onto the foam. It doesn't cost anything and it works. Doesn't look great though ;)

couldn't do that, it's all about the bling!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

ive got a polar cs400. its cheaper than the garmin and has much better battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Wow, thanks for all the info on this lads, seems like there's plenty of options.

I reckon a Garmin Forerunner 305 is looking like the best option cos the price is quite reasonable and it does a lot of what I'm interested in and though it doesn't do all I mentioned, to be honest I don't do enough cycling to warrant the extra spend.

Plus, it has the added bonus of being useful for running too. Will it show me speed in miles/km per hour without having to get the extra cadence/speed kit?

When you mention the 305 is going cheap on ebay, which ebay site do you mean? I rarely use ebay cos I find it too much hassle to figure out final price cos they fleece you on shipping, but if there's a good enough deal that's worth it, I might go for it. Otherwise, I might look for an online US store that will ship to Ireland to see if the exchange rate means I can get it for around €150.

Wow, thanks for all the info on this lads, seems like there's plenty of options

You're very welcome.
    Will it show me speed in miles/km per hour without having to get the extra cadence/speed kit?

Yup, it will.

paddyb wrote: »
    ive got a polar cs400. its cheaper than the garmin and has much better battery life.

it is actually a lot dearer that the forerunner 305 at the moment. it has better battery life because it isn't gps, so you need to ft sensors on the bike and it isn't any good for running imo.

The garmin is much easier to use and more versatile..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

EH wrote: »
    You should consider a Nokia N95 mobile. It comes with built in GPS and street level maps. You can download the Nokia Sports Tracker free from there web site which give you the ability to track your rides, create routes and then export them to Google Earth. There's no heart monitor and unless you get a GPS with a separate altimeter the height gain will be very inaccurate. It also displays your speed, distance etc on the screen. Check out the below review:

http://www.s60.com/life/application/featured/news?action=archiveNews&whatshot=1&pbId=64&appweek=1&hotNewsId=401

The fact that Nokia are about to release the N96 and the recent release of the iphone 3G will mean the N95's will come down in price soon.

EH

Sounds like a great plan that, and I have an N95 so may try some of it out -only thing I can foresee is battery life being an issue, and doesn't the gps stuff rely on a data connection too (to gprs or something)? (I'm not sure cos I've not really played with the gps in it yet, but I'll have to now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EH

I agree that battery life is an issue, the N95 8gig version (black one thats selling now) went some way to solving the battery issue but I find that after 2 hours with the GPS on the battery is starting to run low on my N95.
    The Sportstracker doesn't use any phone network only the GPS signal. The maps program (Nokia GPS mapping software) asks you to enable network access when you turn on the program and I always say no. Its seems to work OK.

I was going to suggest this- saw someone with this setup in the W200 (could have been you?)

the bling blorg, the bling. for the babes and stuff.

the bling blorg, the bling. for the babes and stuff.
    But the foam will protect my carbon handlebars! No, you are right, obviously I would never do this myself ;-)

FrankGrimes- if you want to use it for running too get the Forerunner, as it is multi-sport and does all the cycling stuff as well. If you are only using it on the bike though get the Edge as the display is twice the size and it can display twice as much stuff on the screen at once (max 8 items vs. max 4 items - I have it displaying 5, one big number taking up half the screen (HR) and 4 other items- elevation, cadence, grade and lap distance. I have a Cateye that does speed and the other normal stuff (time, avg speed, total distance etc.)

• Advertisement

Thanks for pointing that out blorg - so is the only difference between the Edge 305 and Forerunner 305 the screensize and amount of info it can display on screen? I reckon I'll be going for the Forerunner in the hope that I get use out of it for some running too if so.

What features does your Cateye do that your Edge 305 does not, or do you just have it so you can see more info at the same time (i.e. info that the 305 actually does support)?

The Nokia N95 sounds like an interesting option alright, but I get my phone and bill paid by work so would be paying for it but only using it for this functionality, so I'll leave that go, good idea though.

Thanks for pointing that out blorg - so is the only difference between the Edge 305 and Forerunner 305 the screensize and amount of info it can display on screen? I reckon I'll be going for the Forerunner in the hope that I get use out of it for some running too if so.
    Effectively, yes- but the Edge doesn't do running, while the Forerunner does both running and cycling.
    What features does your Cateye do that your Edge 305 does not, or do you just have it so you can see more info at the same time (i.e. info that the 305 actually does support)?
    Cateye doesn't do anything the Edge doesn't do, except not run out of batteries ;-) It is there just as it is cheap (under €20) to see more info at once, and as a backup when the Edge runs out (happens often enough :-( )

Good stuff, I'll start the search for best price on the Forerunner 305 so....and will dig out a bit of piping insulation from the shed for taping to the handlebars cos my SCR 2.0 don't mind being a Sonia (she ain't the prettiest but she keeps on running and running).

I'll post back with the best price I find just in case there's others that might read this thread and find it of interest. Have to say it's a great forum ye have going here lads and ladies cos there's clearly plenty of hardcore cyclists here but everyone takes the time to help out newbies like myself - fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Rein-in

...I'll start the search for best price on the Forerunner 305 so....

Have a look on dabs.ie, it's €195 there, compared to €390 in Argos stores. Shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I use the Nokia N95i when out cycling.. Also use the Sports Tracker software from Nokia for tracking my route, speed and so on.. You can upload them to sportstracker.nokia.com. It is extremely good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

blorg wrote: »
    I was going to suggest this- saw someone with this setup in the W200 (could have been you?)

No that wasn't me.

Another big advantage of the Edge 305 is that is has a barometric altimeter so the elevation data is a lot more accurate. Very useful if you climb a lot of mountains.

No that wasn't me.

Another big advantage of the Edge 305 is that is has a barometric altimeter so the elevation data is a lot more accurate. Very useful if you climb a lot of mountains.

mmm, that might change things alright - I defo like the idea of knowing how steep a climb is. The Forerunner 305 does not have a barometric altimeter so will it just not be able to give me this info at all or will it be able to give it but just in a less accurate manner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Just to give the flipside, I used to have a pretty decent bike computer on my bike with a hrm and now I've stopped using it completely. I think they restrict you somewhat because you're always keeping one eye on the speed and not on the road. Ever since I stopped using it, I've found the spins to be much more enjoyable. What I do instead is keep a rough idea of how long it took me and work out how far the spin was using mapmyride.com and work out a very average speed from there. I find this is more than enough for me.

I never really look at mine during the ride, at the moment it is usually in a pocket or on my wirst. I just like it for recording everything more than anything else.

• Advertisement

mmm, that might change things alright - I defo like the idea of knowing how steep a climb is. The Forerunner 305 does not have a barometric altimeter so will it just not be able to give me this info at all or will it be able to give it but just in a less accurate manner?

Yes, it does, but I don't know how it measures it. One feature it does not have, is cumulated climbing, i.e. the amount you have climbed in total. It will show grade.

Advertisement