Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish defence force dpm

Options
  • 13-06-2008 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

does any one kno where i can buy and irish dpm/bdu uniform ive been looking for the past three days contstantly but have only found british and others

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Its against the law for civilians to own or wear current Irish Defence Forces DPM. You can buy and wear the old style DPMs however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 irishintrested

what about for us citizens and also is there somewhere i could buy the curent dpm or the old one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

You might get some on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,519 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

what about for us citizens and also is there somewhere i could buy the curent dpm or the old one

you've just been told its illegal :confused:

doesnt matter what nationality you are its illegal to wear here, unless you on

official duty

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

cushtac wrote: »

I don;t recommend it,
    A) Because its Illegal,
    B)Because it would cost about €400 for the hole uniform.

If you don;t Mind me asking OP Why do you wnat it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Its against the law for civilians to own or wear current Irish Defence Forces DPM. You can buy and wear the old style DPMs however.
    what's the old style dpm look like?

the GALL wrote: »

It wasn't DPM. More of a BDU. I cant remember exactly but if you Google FCA you will probably find some (nearly) Modern pics as they only went out of service in the RDF in 2003.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

I think he means the OGs.

It was a drab oliven/green, the defence forces kept it that way so the IRA wouldn't have a problem with target recogniton.
    ogs, what's og's?

It was a drab oliven/green, the defence forces kept it that way so the IRA wouldn't have a problem with target recogniton.
    ogs, what's og's?

OGs is Olive Green, as you said. Here's a picture of fellas from the 20th in the OGs:

france16.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The old OD working dress was the best working dress uniform we'd had.

For most, the current DPM uniform is ill fitting, heavy and uncomfortable.

Mairt wrote: »
    The old OD working dress was the best working dress uniform we'd had.

Except when wet.

not at all the dpm uniform is cut for women

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kermit_ie

cushtac wrote: »

US Citizens are also civilians...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

kermit_ie wrote: »
    US Citizens are also civilians...

Civilians who live outside the jurisdiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Tribunius

Look you can get a hold of it but it won't be easy therefore it won't be cheap. (And no before anyone gets any ideas I'm not offering)

It is rare because as has been mentioned the Irish DF does not sell surplus equipment. So any you do come across is stolen.

And just to correct a previous poster the DPM uniform was introduced into the then FCA in 2001.

there's a shirt on E-BAY at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Now I know it's illegal to wear current issue DPM uniform items. But is it illegal to wear a garment that merely copies the pattern. For the sake of example; a T-shirt? Or even a jacket cut in a similar way to the current issue with a very similar but not quite the same camouflage pattern?

I doubt it somehow!

AFAIK, the pattern is Copyrighted. So while not illegal to weat per se, it would be illegal to produce.

You can get the Smocks In different Cammo patterns I think, Is the Brit Smock the same as out one????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I thought it was only illegal if it has the tri-colour on the arm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kermit_ie

I thought it was only illegal if it has the tri-colour on the arm?

untrue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

lads its like goin out in a garda uniform this act is illegal as you would be inpersonating a garda same with irish dpm impersonating a soldier of the irish df would come under this also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Donny 5,

I'm really curious as to when/where that pic was taken... it looks like IRL reserve with the French Famas rifle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

"For most, the current DPM uniform is ill fitting, heavy and uncomfortable"

Similar to the old issue system, get issued, get adjusted and wear - quit moaning.

Motto: whatever it takes. When you signed up, you signed up, now get the job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Oilrig wrote: »
    "For most, the current DPM uniform is ill fitting, heavy and uncomfortable"

Similar to the old issue system, get issued, get adjusted and wear - quit moaning.

Motto: whatever it takes. When you signed up, you signed up, now get the job done.

If by "get it adjusted" you mean 'have it tailored' well then you should be made aware that its unlawful to have the DPM uniform tailored.

Its made as it is (ill fitting for the most part) for a reason. As its intended as a layered system if you have the pants tailored you won't be able to wear the issued terminal underwear with them, likewise the shirts, tailor those and you won't get the 'norgie' to fit etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

Oilrig wrote: »
    Donny 5,

I'm really curious as to when/where that pic was taken... it looks like IRL reserve with the French Famas rifle?

Yup, taken many yrs ago.. In France around 89.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭trellheim

that's half my recruit section in that picture. Couldn't go on the long march to Paris as I had to work. Jaysus that's 19 years ago now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Nam_Man

Donny5 wrote: »
    OGs is Olive Green, as you said. Here's a picture of fellas from the 20th in the OGs:

france16.jpg

Classic pic ... Them where the days ...

A lots of Irish DPM gear on ebay lately ... Some bloke in the UK even sold a whole uniform!!

And Irish desert shirts went for €255+

Crazy ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bq300466

Hi there, can anyone tell me if I can get a set of enamel ribbons made up for my uniform? Thanks...Brian!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I'm beginning to get a little concerned about the IDF wannabes on this thread. Surely someone who has IDF-issued medals would know where to get medal ribbons?

tac

Advertisement