Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Hi lads, I have read Kraken but found it fairly unrelenting, with the exception of a few light-hearted moments. I was reminded of a Tim Willocks book - Bloodstained Kings - most of the characters have no redeeming characteristics whatsoever. Every time I put the book down my mood was definitely darker than when I picked it up. YMMV, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Finished Knife of Dreams and started The Gathering Storm, knife of dreams was pretty good compared to crossraods of twilight, crossraods was ok but ended well.
    Loved Leiws Therin taking over and decimating the trollocs with the gateways and mats just a plain cool character, Egwene going around tower gradually breaking down\converting people there

Really really loving the series i'm praying he doesn't do a gemmill and finish it up in 3-5 pages. Series needs a proper epic ending with goodbyes and some later ons....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Ive just got that very book last week. Whats the problem with it?
    groovie wrote: »
    Hi lads, I have read Kraken but found it fairly unrelenting, with the exception of a few light-hearted moments. I was reminded of a Tim Willocks book - Bloodstained Kings - most of the characters have no redeeming characteristics whatsoever. Every time I put the book down my mood was definitely darker than when I picked it up. YMMV, though.
    Yeah, maybe it's the character thing. I just don't care what happens. And the plot just seems to be just spiraling into a very complicated mess.
    (Of course as groovie suggests - you may love it!)

Am going to start Red April by Santiago Roncagliolo as I don't have any Clive Cussler to hand. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Just finished "The handmaids Tale" (Margaret Atwood) and am breaking my normal sequence of fiction then non-fiction by starting onto "The steel remains" (Richard Morgan).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Dune

Never read it before, even though I've watched the movie and series and played the games.

150 pages in and it's all been good so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Finished the third book (The Waste Land) in The Dark Tower series, can't say I liked it much, I just find myself not engaging with or caring for the the characters, and some of the themes that King dwells on I just find not to my tastes or plain boring and uninteresting.

Just started The Family Trade by Charles Stross.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Reading "Wise Man's Fear" by Patrick Rothfuss - 26% of the way through and really enjoying it so far, despite the fact not much has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

ixoy wrote: »
    Reading "Wise Man's Fear" by Patrick Rothfuss - 26% of the way through and really enjoying it so far, despite the fact not much has happened.

Not much happens at the start, true, but it's so beautifully written.

*has a man-crush on Rothfuss' style*

I'm nearly finished it now. :(

Finished The Family Trade by Charles Stross, gotta say I loved it. It's another one of these 'fantasy' books, not set in a standalone fantasy world, but in a world which intersects with ours, of which I've read a number of recently.

I'd loved Stross' Singularity Sky (and to some extent Saturn's Children) but not really liked Halting State and Accelerando. This book however, was just a cracking read, which seems to promise so much for the rest of the series (there are 6).

Anyway, onto book 2 The Hidden Family ...

pH wrote: »
    Anyway, onto book 2 The Hidden Family ...
    I really liked this one too - it did a good job of building on the premise of the first one. It's great to see someone think logically about the applications of parallel worlds.
    I have Book 3 to read soon - must get books 4-6 as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 bloodforcream

love this book recommend to anyone who likes 40k

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

We have loads of these books on our bookshelf - can't wait to read!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo; really enjoying it - must be the last person who hasn't read it.

And a fab comic book guide to the nation(s) & people of Korea - picked it up for £6 the other day & it's on 'zon for £30!

Finished 'The Wise Man's Fear' :(

On to Brent Weeks' 'Night Angel Trilogy'.

Finished 'The Wise Man's Fear' :(

On to Brent Weeks' 'Night Angel Trilogy'.
    Okay that's just scary! I'm reading "The Wise Man's Fear" and moving on to the first book in the Night Angel Trilogy after that!
    I'm assuming the sad face is that you enjoyed "Wise Man's Fear"? I'm 39% through and just love how easy it is to get into Kvothe's world.

Okay that's just scary! I'm reading "The Wise Man's Fear" and moving on to the first book in the Night Angel Trilogy after that!
    I'm assuming the sad face is that you enjoyed "Wise Man's Fear"? I'm 39% through and just love how easy it is to get into Kvothe's world.

Yup sad face is because I know it's gonna take ages for the 3rd book!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Finished The eroes by Joe Abercrombie. Really enjoyed it, some interesting characters, a couple of laugh out loud moments always a good thing and think it was better than Best Served Cold.
    Can't wait for the next and loving the whole series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Let me know what you think of this - I didn't care for it at all.

Finished Night Sessions, and thought it was ok. The motivation of the main antagonist was lacking, as what much of the back story, but I guess I liked it more because the whole state without church interference appealed to me.

Now going to give into the hype and start A Game of Thrones. Probably a bad idea with the amount of series I've left unfinished that I want to finish, but oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Just finished "The Technician" by Neal Asher.
    Not his best book. First 80-90 pages are very slow to get going with too many confusing and pointless flashbacks/forwards. Also there is no evil augmented super-genius-villain or galactic level threat until the last couple of chapters. I was expecting more fun from the gabbleducks too.
    He's still one of my favourite current authors.
    Anyway, I've started re-reading Gridlinked.
    Also if you're interested he's pretty active on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Dades wrote: »
    Thinking of ditching China Mieville's Kraken, as after a great start I'm finding it a bit of a chore, which reading should never be.

I stuck with it for about 100 pages or so and ditched it. Never really got involved with it - the main character I just found boring and of no great interest, most of the other characters were actually repugnant. Has anyone made it through to the end and enjoyed it??

Have made a start on The Iron Council which I admit I am not galloping through either...is it worth persevering with?

• Advertisement

Just finished "Saturn's Children" by Charles Stross. I usually love his stuff but this one was all over the place and just didn't work. Trying to decide what to read next now, might actually read something on the kindle, having owned it for a few months!

Finished The Hidden Family by Charles Stross, the 2nd book in the Merchant Princes series. Certainly not as wowed by it as the first one, but a good solid read and I'm interested in where it's all going, so onwards to book 3 ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I finished Wise Mans Fear which was as good as I expected it to be. I don't feel like reading anything I have lying around here so I'm ordering stuff off the Book Depository. Tim Powers, Banks and Neil Asher. I'll pick when they arrive.

Not really enjoying Weeks' The Way of Shadows.

I don't like the skipping of years, just felt like the narrative was too disjointed. Don't think I'll carry on with the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I am reading Hyperion! One of those ones where you can't believe you missed it - been on the list a long time.

I found it a very slow starter, and with my current shockingly low tolerance to anything slow paced, I almost put it down.

But I've stuck with it, and I am finding it quite interesting now. I'm just started into the PI's tale, so I guess I'm ~1/2 through book one (I have the omnibus).

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

I stuck with it for about 100 pages or so and ditched it. Never really got involved with it - the main character I just found boring and of no great interest, most of the other characters were actually repugnant. Has anyone made it through to the end and enjoyed it??

I wouldn't say that I enjoyed it but I got to the end, what got me through was that he switched focus from Billy to his mate's girlfriend for some of it and her predicament was more compelling than his. It was my first Mieville so I wasn't going to let it get the better of me.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

When is Rothfuss #3 due?

I haven't started WMF yet, wondering how long I should try leave it. I have a stack of books & I'm suppressing the urge to run & get the hardback.

(Seeing as ixoy managed to hold off Towers of Midnight for ~10 weeks, he's setting the self-control bar pretty high!)

I'd say Rothfuss' next will be 2 years?
    Total guess though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Jah Wobble - Memoirs of a Geezer.

• Advertisement

Okay finished Way of The Shadows. Meh.

A trip to the library has ended up with me checking out The Space Wolf omnibus. (I read the first two books as a kid, so thought why not give it another go.) It's probably horrible!

I also got The Well of Ascension by Sanderson. I've read Mistborn but then launched into the WoT so didn't finish the trilogy.

Which should I start first fine folks of the S&F boards?

Advertisement