Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Igotadose wrote: »
    Just finished "Four Roads Cross" by Max Gladstone. Not bad, I kind of like stories where Lawyers are the villains :)
    Now starting "Walking to Aldebaran" by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

BTW, RIP Terry Goodkind. "Wizards First Rule" was an amazing read. The subsequent novels I thought ran out of steam, I read two or three of them then gave up.
    which eventually numbered 21 installments
    How?! Beyond the fact that clearly he took 911 very personally (you can see the point in his books and the tone changes completely) I read through to book 6 or 7 when the story wrapped up. I honestly can't see how the heck this would extend into 21 books...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I am enjoying the latest Abercrombie - The Trouble With Peace, some fabulously twisted characters!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Hero777

Absolutely loving the Frontlines series by Marko Kloos at the moment - jumping from Audiobook to e reader

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Finished Chasing Graves by Ben Galley.I liked it enough to order part 2 & 3 before reaching half way.

Currently about 30 % through The Trouble with Peace by Joe Abercrombie and loving it.A real page turner for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Finished The Trouble with Peace just in time to get stuck into Battle Ground - By Jim Butcher, the latest Dresden Files, this is a good week to have crap weather!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Finished Guns of the Dawn by Adrian Tchikovsky. It was... okay I suppose? Very bland compared to his other stuff. I dont understand why he made the armies so small in it tbh, it was all a bit forgettable...

Thargor wrote: »
    Finished Guns of the Dawn by Adrian Tchikovsky. It was... okay I suppose? Very bland compared to his other stuff. I dont understand why he made the armies so small in it tbh, it was all a bit forgettable...
    Looks like hes got a new one btw, The Doors of Eden:

https://www.panmacmillan.com/authors/adrian-tchaikovsky/the-doors-of-eden/9781509865888

Moved on to the Calculating Stars, was worried it was going to be a bit "Girls can do science too!!!" but it's not like that at all, it's great so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

fenris wrote: »
    Finished The Trouble with Peace just in time to get stuck into Battle Ground - By Jim Butcher, the latest Dresden Files, this is a good week to have crap weather!!!

Man I hope it's better than the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Reading "Ball Lightning" by Qixin Liu. Definitely the same writer as the Three Body Problem series, but better written imho, a bit more 'lyrical' for want of a good word. Somewhat slow so far (about 1/2 through).

Finished "Walking to Aldebaran" (cute) and "Made Things" (better than Walking to Aldebaran) by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Also "The Angelus Guns" by Max Gladstone. Thought that last one was pretty weak. All three are novellas, quick reads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Reading The City by Stella Gemmell. I left it last year but bought it on Kindle on sale so I went at it again. Enjoying it much more this time, I must admit.

I left Gardens of the Moon after getting about half way. Someone please tell me that Kruppe has some function in the story other than to annoy me?:(

Does he play a big part or can I just skip his chapters without losing much of the plot?

Reading The City by Stella Gemmell. I left it last year but bought it on Kindle on sale so I went at it again. Enjoying it much more this time, I must admit.

I left Gardens of the Moon after getting about half way. Someone please tell me that Kruppe has some function in the story other than to annoy me?:(

Does he play a big part or can I just skip his chapters without losing much of the plot?

He's important and you'll come to love him.

Moved on to the Calculating Stars, was worried it was going to be a bit "Girls can do science too!!!" but it's not like that at all, it's great so far.
    Ugh, turns out it is like that, quality has dropped off a good bit as this goes on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Finished The Last Mortal Bond by Brian Staveley, third book in the Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne (fourth book due in July apparently). Strongly recommend the series, unique world, world history and god system with a very fast moving pace. The only complaint I have is the fact they are juggling multiple parallel story lines and it takes a while to get the connections going between them all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

number 1 best seller out yesterday
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wintersteel-Cradle-Book-Will-Wight-ebook/dp/B08JMF22F2

it's an excellent series and that was the best book yet

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

bluewolf wrote: »

Books 1-7 are *free* today. I've read the first two so far and enjoyed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,587 ✭✭✭Glebee

Im always turned off by books that are available on Kindleunlimited for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Just bought all 8 for £5.80. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

ixoy wrote: »
    Books 1-7 are *free* today. I've read the first two so far and enjoyed them.
    Excellent, cheers. Was looking for something to dig into without spending loads so that'll keep me going for a bit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Book 17, Battle Ground, of the Dresden files. A welcome return to form and an entertainng read.

• Advertisement

Finally dragged my way through the Calculating Stars, hated it. Absolutely despised the main character.

Theres this disease among American writers at the minute especially in sci-fi/fantasy where the barriers to entry seem to be lower where they reuse the same character over and over again, its hard to articulate but its a kind of pompous, smug, self-righteous type. I cant really explain it but The Martian would be its purest form... Boring cnuts overcoming the odds type thing. You see it over and over again these days and its really grating.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Read:

'The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet' by Becky Chambers, the first book in her Wayfarers series. Known for being "optimistic sci-fi", it's an enjoyable read, far away from the "grim" end of sci-fi with good, likeable characters - each chapter pretty much focusing on one of them. The world building is nothing outstanding but it's just a "nice" novel, something fairly refreshing these days.

"Stardust" by Neil Gaiman. I'm not overly enthused by Gaiman - 'American Gods' is one of the most over-rated books I've read - but I think he works much better in smaller shorter form. This is written as a dark fairy tale and it largely works. The film adaptation is, by and large, a good example of how to adapt a novel suitable for the film medium.

'The Witchwood Crown' by Tad Williams, the first doorstopper in his 'The Last King of Osten Ard' series. Williams, to me, is a much stronger writer than many of his fantasy peers which, for this, is as well because it's a very slow book (something that could equally be said of the prequel trilogy to this - 'Memory, Sorrow and Thorn'). Very little happens and the world is full of fantasy tropes (by design, and the fact the series is decades old and well before many of the modern series). Characters are solid though and the world is painted well. So a little disappointing whilst still leaving me interested in seeing more.

Loving those Unsouled/Cradle books, thanks for the tip, pure popcorn stuff like reading the plot to a videogame on Wikipedia but Im tearing through them, on book 3 now...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Reading "Piranesi" by Susanna Clarke, who previously wrote the awesome "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell."

Piranesi is beautifully written, and seriously weird. It's in the 'can't put it down' phase for me. Highly recommended only 1/3 the way through.

Previously finished "The Emperor's Blades" by Brian Staveley, got it based on the recommendation from this thread. It's eminently o.k., nice easy read some characters who are interesting and clearly have room to grow through the series. Probably will get to book 2 in the series once done with Piranesi, or I might go re-read Strange/Norrell too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finally dragged my way through the Calculating Stars, hated it. Absolutely despised the main character.

Theres this disease among American writers at the minute especially in sci-fi/fantasy where the barriers to entry seem to be lower where they reuse the same character over and over again, its hard to articulate but its a kind of pompous, smug, self-righteous type. I cant really explain it but The Martian would be its purest form... Boring cnuts overcoming the odds type thing. You see it over and over again these days and its really grating.

If you want to watch basically the same premise - women thrust into the Astronaut programme during the 1950s or 1960s - then Apple TV's "For All Mankind" got you covered. I've only watched the first 3 or 4 episodes but it's very good. Comes from Ronald D Moore (he of the BSG reboot & Star Trek DS9), and is itself an alternate universe story (minus the meteor). Tells a story where the USSR were the first on the moon, and how NASA adjusts itself to being second and where it goes from there...

I'm just after finishing Seveneves which was my first Neal Stephenson book. It was very good. The amount of research he puts in must be insane. Possibly tailed off a tiny bit at the very end but most enjoyable overall. I presume this is at the hard end when people talk about hard sci-fi? It's a genre I seem to enjoy. Any recommendations?

Just started the new Dresden Files book. I was disgusted with the last one. It was just garbage. Like a badly edited fan fiction. I hear this one is much better, but I'm wondering if the spell is broken for me after the last one. A little ways into this one I can't avoid the sense that the series is going around in circles. The sense of fun is gone from it as well as Harry has almost become an angsty teenager archetype. Hopefully this'll win me over as I've really enjoyed the series but I'm a bit concerned basically that the author has run out of road.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'm just after finishing Seveneves which was my first Neal Stephenson book. It was very good. The amount of research he puts in must be insane. Possibly tailed off a tiny bit at the very end but most enjoyable overall. I presume this is at the hard end when people talk about hard sci-fi? It's a genre I seem to enjoy. Any recommendation.
    Get Anathaem by the same author, it's absolutely amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Reading Isaac Asimov's Foundation series in the reading order that he himself suggested. Big shout out to my local library here in Swords and the service in general as some of the books have come opposite ends of the country.

Got the idea because I had seen the trailer for the apple tv adaptation and so I started with Prelude to Foundation, but I found his suggested reading order online where he says to start off with the complete robot collection.

I definitely think that starting with the robot collection added something to The caves of steel book.

pixelburp wrote: »
    If you want to watch basically the same premise - women thrust into the Astronaut programme during the 1950s or 1960s - then Apple TV's "For All Mankind" got you covered. I've only watched the first 3 or 4 episodes but it's very good. Comes from Ronald D Moore (he of the BSG reboot & Star Trek DS9), and is itself an alternate universe story (minus the meteor). Tells a story where the USSR were the first on the moon, and how NASA adjusts itself to being second and where it goes from there...

Already downloaded and on the pile for ages, starting after I finish my Love/Hate rewatch.

• Advertisement

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Reading Isaac Asimov's Foundation series in the reading order that he himself suggested. Big shout out to my local library here in Swords and the service in general as some of the books have come opposite ends of the country.

Got the idea because I had seen the trailer for the apple tv adaptation and so I started with Prelude to Foundation, but I found his suggested reading order online where he says to start off with the complete robot collection.

I definitely think that starting with the robot collection added something to The caves of steel book.

That's being filmed in Limerick I think? I must actually look back and see how many of the Foundation books I got through. I'm sure I enjoyed any of them I read but haven't a clue how far I got. I went with his suggested order but I think it was just the main series rather than whatever the robot collection is.

Advertisement