Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour HATES my cats!!!!

Options
  • 11-06-2008 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    l need some help here myself.my neighbour keeps trying to poison our cats,and l am at a loss as to what to do.
    l have tried to confront him and got nowhere.
    Because there is no man in our house he seems to think the cats are fair game.They cant even sit on the dividing wall in the back garden because he throws hot water at them.
    lt is making life very unpleasant for me and a nightmare for the cats who came from a stray cat 4 years ago,so they wont come into the house as they are only semi tame. All help gratefully appreciated.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Do your cats happen to use his gardens as a toilet by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

How many cats ?
    In semi D suburbia more than two creates annoyance for even the most Cat tolerent neighbours (crapping, spraying, digging etc.)
    In my previous house, neighbour had 6 - 8 cats which meant I couldn't use my own back garden. Which wasn't very fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Karoma wrote: »
    Do your cats happen to use his gardens as a toilet by any chance?

No,when they were small and wandering everywhere they most probley used every garden,but l had no control over that as they were wild.
    l keep soil regulary turned over now and they use that.:(

Canaboid wrote: »
    How many cats ?
    In semi D suburbia more than two creates annoyance for even the most Cat tolerent neighbours (crapping, spraying, digging etc.)
    In my previous house, neighbour had 6 - 8 cats which meant I couldn't use my own back garden. Which wasn't very fair.

3 and all are spayed(made sure to get them done)by Cat protection.They seldom move out of the garden now but do like to sit on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

No,when they were small and wandering everywhere they most probley used every garden,but l had no control over that as they were wild.
    l keep soil regulary turned over now and they use that.:(

And only that?
    What is your neighbours complaint?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There is a number of cat deterrents on the market maybe you could supply your neighbour with them, at least it would keep your cats from going into their garden. I would be pi**ed off if I had a bird table in my garden and my neighbors cats were constantly stalking it. http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.faunature.com.au/images/clip_image004.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.faunature.com.au/catwatch.html&h=392&w=263&sz=14&hl=en&start=19&um=1&tbnid=Dk6B9FJ4hBFY0M:&tbnh=123&tbnw=83&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcat%2Bdeterrents%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX

Karoma wrote: »
    And only that?
    What is your neighbours complaint?

He just HATES cats (so he informed me after l asked him to stop throwing Hot water at them ):mad:

There is a number of cat deterrents on the market maybe you could supply your neighbour with them, at least it would keep your cats from going into their garden. I would be pi**ed off if I had a bird table in my garden and my neighbors cats were constantly stalking it. http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.faunature.com.au/images/clip_image004.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.faunature.com.au/catwatch.html&h=392&w=263&sz=14&hl=en&start=19&um=1&tbnid=Dk6B9FJ4hBFY0M:&tbnh=123&tbnw=83&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcat%2Bdeterrents%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX

Yep,tried that,bought him a spray called "Keep off" but
    he refused it.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Could you put some sort of a fence on top of the wall to stop them sitting there? It seems a little extreme and unfair of him to object to them just sitting on the wall, but your first priority has to be keeping them safe from getting harmed by him. If you do put something up there just make sure that it won't inhibit them getting back into your garden if they do leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

u can get a wire u put all around your garden and a collar for the cats if put just inside your wall will stop the cats going sitting on his one might just do the trick for u
    if he keeps it up call the site of animal cruetly and report him;)

• Advertisement

Could you put some sort of a fence on top of the wall to stop them sitting there? It seems a little extreme and unfair of him to object to them just sitting on the wall, but your first priority has to be keeping them safe from getting harmed by him. If you do put something up there just make sure that it won't inhibit them getting back into your garden if they do leave.
    An old trick is to embed broken glass into cement on wall tops. This would also deter burglars and inquisitive neighbours trying to hop over the wall, now highly illegal and also an insurance liability.

u can get a wire u put all around your garden and a collar for the cats if put just inside your wall will stop the cats going sitting on his one might just do the trick for u
    if he keeps it up call the site of animal cruetly and report him;)

Thanks a mill for this one,is there a particular name for this wire???:D

An old trick is to embed broken glass into cement on wall tops. This would also deter burglars and inquisitive neighbours trying to hop over the wall, now highly illegal and also an insurance liability.

Oops! if it is illegal l best not try this one as he would most likely report me.Dont want to annoy him.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

You can probably train your cats to sit on the other wall without a lot of trouble.

Training the neighbour, who sounds fairly strange, might be more difficult. Maybe some constructive ignoring might be in order.

luckat wrote: »
    You can probably train your cats to sit on the other wall without a lot of trouble.

Training the neighbour, who sounds fairly strange, might be more difficult. Maybe some constructive ignoring might be in order.

These cats cannot be picked up as they came from a stray.if you know of any way to get them to sit on other wall please let me know.:)

A very successful way of your neighbour getting rid of unwanted cats from his garden is to get a couple of cats for himself. Cats are very territorial and would soon stop your cats from venturing into his garden.

A very successful way of your neighbour getting rid of unwanted cats from his garden is to get a couple of cats for himself. Cats are very territorial and would soon stop your cats from venturing into his garden.

If only it was that simple,l would cheerfully get him a cat or cats ,
    BUT.........he hates them(all cats not just mine) .:(

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

Thanks a mill for this one,is there a particular name for this wire???:D
    i dont know the name but any good pet shop should be able to help u it works by sending a sound out tat only animals can here

i dont know the name but any good pet shop should be able to help u it works by sending a sound out tat only animals can here

ok so,that will be my mission for tomorrow.
    Thanks so much.:D

The radio fences, which would be the wire that somebody mentioned are not good for cats, they would be likely to cause behavioural problems as they basically give an electric shock.

If you get a few 2x2 bits of wood - wouldn't need to be more than a couple of feet long at most - attach them to the wall and run some ordinary wire around the inside along that wall. Just make sure that you run it right to the end and around in such a way that it would be really akward for the cats to get to that side of the wall.

I'm sure if you make it really hard for them to get on that wall they will go and sit on the other one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

OP who owns the wall? Because if you do anything to it and it turns out he owns it, he could turn into a much worse crochety barsteward. Perhaps give him a water pistol, if he uses it he may be less inclined to fill it with hot water.

I would document everything that happens and get it witnessed. Is it hot water from the tap or boiling? If he gets your cats with it I imagine it would be no fun. I wouldn't trust a saddo like that not to put sugar into the water to make it stick if it should come into contact with skin.

You mentioned in the first post there is no man in the house, it sounds like he is a bully. If so be very careful and get some male friends/relatives around.

The radio fences, which would be the wire that somebody mentioned are not good for cats, they would be likely to cause behavioural problems as they basically give an electric shock.

If you get a few 2x2 bits of wood - wouldn't need to be more than a couple of feet long at most - attach them to the wall and run some ordinary wire around the inside along that wall. Just make sure that you run it right to the end and around in such a way that it would be really akward for the cats to get to that side of the wall.

I'm sure if you make it really hard for them to get on that wall they will go and sit on the other one.

:eek: l thank you for the above,(and with a bit of embarrassment) ask you if you mean l should run the wire at an angle to the wall???

I would be pi**ed off if I had a bird table in my garden and my neighbors cats were constantly stalking it.

I'm afraid thats just part and parcel of what a cat does, you can never stop a cat from watching/stalking. Nature is red in tooth and claw. Of course there are steps to minimize this such as cat bell, upside down funnel on the bird table leg, keeping cats in dawn and dusk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

How to train the cats: make the other wall more attractive to them, and make his wall unattractive (without cruelty).

You could put some chicken-wire up on your side of his wall, making it a nuisance for the cats to walk on - put it about an inch above the wall.

And plant nepeta (catmint or catnip) all along the base of the wall you want them to like. It's a very pretty plant.

cat-mint-flower.jpg

And get a Feliway spray and spray the point on the opposite wall where you want them to sit.

And when they're on the wall where you *want* them to sit, give them the odd treat - whatever they particularly love, like bits of shredded liver.

OP who owns the wall? Because if you do anything to it and it turns out he owns it, he could turn into a much worse crochety barsteward. Perhaps give him a water pistol, if he uses it he may be less inclined to fill it with hot water.

I would document everything that happens and get it witnessed. Is it hot water from the tap or boiling? If he gets your cats with it I imagine it would be no fun. I wouldn't trust a saddo like that not to put sugar into the water to make it stick if it should come into contact with skin.

You mentioned in the first post there is no man in the house, it sounds like he is a bully. If so be very careful and get some male friends/relatives around.

l would imagine its from the tap as he is too quick out of his door ,unless he has the kettle permanently on the boil.
    As for relatives ,2 brothers with own familys who cant come over at short notice.:(

Once the wire is there at all I don't think it will matter if it is angled. All you are aiming to do is to make it harder for them and not as comfortable for them. Cats are inherently lazy and will always go for the easier option.

Another thought that is going through my head is it would be against the law to cause deliberate harm to an animal. Have you mentioned this to your neighbour? I would say try sending him a letter about this and possibly log a copy of the letter with the local guards and perhaps the ISPCA? Let him know that if any harm comes to the cats from what he is doing you will make sure he is prosecuted.

Good luck, it really sucks when you are worried about your animals because of neighbours. I have some neighbours that worry me slightly. Thankfully they would have to go to a huge effort to do anything to them at this stage, but I still worry.

I would be pi**ed off if I had a bird table in my garden and my neighbors cats were constantly stalking it.

I'm afraid thats just part and parcel of what a cat does, you can never stop a cat from watching/stalking. Nature is red in tooth and claw. Of course there are steps to minimize this such as cat bell, upside down funnel on the bird table leg, keeping cats in dawn and dusk.

When you say nature is red in tooth and claw,l think
    nature may have played a trick on this little"Cat Gang"
    as they lie in the garden and let the magpies eat their food....Killer cats they aint....:D

luckat wrote: »
    How to train the cats: make the other wall more attractive to them, and make his wall unattractive (without cruelty).

You could put some chicken-wire up on your side of his wall, making it a nuisance for the cats to walk on - put it about an inch above the wall.

And plant nepeta (catmint or catnip) all along the base of the wall you want them to like. It's a very pretty plant.

cat-mint-flower.jpg

And get a Feliway spray and spray the point on the opposite wall where you want them to sit.

And when they're on the wall where you *want* them to sit, give them the odd treat - whatever they particularly love, like bits of shredded liver.

Beautiful plant.Will shop for some tomorrow....and get it planted or sown,whichever the case may be:)

Once the wire is there at all I don't think it will matter if it is angled. All you are aiming to do is to make it harder for them and not as comfortable for them. Cats are inherently lazy and will always go for the easier option.

Another thought that is going through my head is it would be against the law to cause deliberate harm to an animal. Have you mentioned this to your neighbour? I would say try sending him a letter about this and possibly log a copy of the letter with the local guards and perhaps the ISPCA? Let him know that if any harm comes to the cats from what he is doing you will make sure he is prosecuted.

Good luck, it really sucks when you are worried about your animals because of neighbours. I have some neighbours that worry me slightly. Thankfully they would have to go to a huge effort to do anything to them at this stage, but I still worry.

Yep,and l know to some my problem aint even a hill of beans but l love my Animals.
    Come to think of it l wish l lived NEXT DOOR to my Animals....:D

• Advertisement

When you say nature is red in tooth and claw,l think
    nature may have played a trick on this little"Cat Gang"
    as they lie in the garden and let the magpies eat their food....Killer cats they aint....:D

Magpies are the skangers of the bird world, they strike in numbers!

Advertisement