Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newfoundland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

i know Newfie's dont like being left alone "all day" but what is meant by this obviously people have to work!!!!!

Very heated debate on that issue here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055293626

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

peasant wrote: »

Thats an understatement peasant, thanks for the link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Thanks boomerang

can the food brands you mentioned be bought in most places

i.e. Royal Canin, James Wellbeloved, Burns, Arden Grange, or Nutro

You'll find them in pet shops and some vets. You won't find any of them in the supermarket. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

boomerang wrote: »
    I completely disagree. Feedwell, like a lot of brands in that price bracket, is poor quality. We've taken in a lot of dogs from "working dog men" in poor condition, because cost is a bigger factor for many of them when it comes to feeding their dogs, rather than quality. I've seen enough dogs come into rescue with dull, lifeless coats and skin conditions because they've been fed cheap dog food like Feedwell, Kasco, etc. etc. Put them on a decent (and more expensive) food like Arden Grange or RC, and in a few weeks, they're on the mend and their coats begin to shine. I don't consider such brands to be overpriced - you get what you pay for.

Yes, dogs have evolved to eat meat primarily, but not meat alone. It's hard to balance a dog's diet when you make it up from scratch yourself. That's why I don't recommend anyone try it unless they've done some serious homework.

There are dangers to giving a dog raw bones, not least of which is chipped teeth, not to mention bowel obstructions. So again, I'd do my research and weigh up the pros and cons before deciding on whether to feed a dog raw bones or not.
    listen you might take in rescue dogs,and because they havent been properly looked after thats why they are in bad condition,not because of the feedwell. im keeping working dogs nearly 18 years and i know how to keep a dog in excellent condition. as for meat, most fox hounds are fed on offal do you think a fox hound could could do 20 miles at a callop over mountains and bogs if it wasnt well nourished. feedwell is cheaper then other brands because its made in ireland and not imported from europe. i'd like you to come at look at the condition of my dogs because they are in prime condition and fit as fiddles. if the dogs you take in to rescue are in bad condition its probably down to not being wormed properly ad generally not being well looked after. at the end of the day your entitled to your opinion, but my opinion is based on expoerience. raw food is best, and mix in some veg for fibre etc... i would feed that way if i had the storage space to keep a weeks food at home or if i could get to the butchers every day but its not feesable. any way, take it from me gihhles your dog will do best on meat. and finally men who keep working dogs are always have their dogs health to the forefront of their mind,cos an unfit badly conditioned dog cant work.

A raw-meat based diet might work for some working dogs, but the average, fairly-sedentary pet dog would be absolutely bouncing the walls with that level of protein in the diet.

Please don't make any assumptions about my experience (or lack thereof) or about the dogs that come into my care.

We're both entitled to our opinion, which we've both based on our own experience. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭XxlauraxX

whitser wrote: »
    chicken lamb beef are best,give them bones and all.

never give your dog chicken bones

why should you never give a dog chicken bones?

Because they can splinter and cause intestinal damage. You should also NEVER feed your dog cooked bones of any kind, as they are brittle and more likely to splinter than raw.

Feeding raw chicken/bones/wings/necks is also problematic because of the risk of Salmonella and other harmful infections. Proponents of the raw food diet however would argue that dogs are better adapted than humans to deal with such bacteria.

Undigested raw meat and bones can become impacted in the stomach, causing bloat and gastric torsion, which can be fatal.

There are pros and cons to a raw food v commercial food diet - it's up to each person to assess the risks and make an informed choice for their pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

I have a newfie lab cross and shes adorable, she's short hair and quite a bit smaller than a newfie but retains the stupidity and has that bear look. I would suggest getting a companion as they get anxious when left for a long period on their own. while we have a lot of space for her I don't think she requires it as she spends the day snoozing but loves being walked.
    The lab in her means she doesn't suffer the health problems most newfies suffer and will hopefully add a year or two to her lifespan.
    My bitch (2 yrs) just about swims and spent a long time trying to climb out of water before she got the hang of it. I've heard stories from other newfie owners that the owners have difficulty swimming as the newfie tries to rescue them and bring them back to shore!!!
    Newfies are very affectionate and are happy when they know someone or a companion is about ( even if its just a cat!)

Best of luck with your dog!

haha yea iv heard stories like that alright iv heard of owners that have had to stop going swiming with their Newfie as he just keeps jumping on top of them, iv read on alot of websites that Newfie's dont seem to really need that much space as they are pretty lazy so its imperitive to ensure you exercise them.

What would you reckon is the longest time you should leave them on their own for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

What would you reckon is the longest time you should leave them on their own for?

to be honest I wouldn't leave my bitch on her own at all, I have another dog and they are inseperable. In an emergency I'd be comfortable to leave her for 4-5 hours.

giggles what ever you do i hope the new dog works out for you, best of luck.
    as for raw v's dry. 30 yrs ago processed it our shelves it was the best thing since sliced bread,cheap easier to get good for you...this has shown to be nonsense. the best food to eat is natural food. its the same for dogs. nature knows best and natural is best. dogs have evolved to eat meat and they would naturally get some veg when they eat the stomach of their prey. i feed meat as often as i can,my dogs are in excellent condition. your newfie is a working dog breed and if your going to be giving him plenty of swimming and exercise he'll need to be getting good nourishment, this means meat imo.
    best of luck.

XxlauraxX wrote: »
    never give your dog chicken bones
    im talking about raw bones not cooked bones. raw bones are safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

whitser wrote: »
    listen you might take in rescue dogs,and because they havent been properly looked after thats why they are in bad condition,not because of the feedwell. im keeping working dogs nearly 18 years and i know how to keep a dog in excellent condition. as for meat, most fox hounds are fed on offal do you think a fox hound could could do 20 miles at a callop over mountains and bogs if it wasnt well nourished. feedwell is cheaper then other brands because its made in ireland and not imported from europe. i'd like you to come at look at the condition of my dogs because they are in prime condition and fit as fiddles. if the dogs you take in to rescue are in bad condition its probably down to not being wormed properly ad generally not being well looked after. at the end of the day your entitled to your opinion, but my opinion is based on expoerience. raw food is best, and mix in some veg for fibre etc... i would feed that way if i had the storage space to keep a weeks food at home or if i could get to the butchers every day but its not feesable. any way, take it from me gihhles your dog will do best on meat. and finally men who keep working dogs are always have their dogs health to the forefront of their mind,cos an unfit badly conditioned dog cant work.

I agree speaking to one person who knows dogs and who has a successful business designing dog kennels, runs, told me that the best cared and looked after dogs are those owned by working men and working gun dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 irishlass37

Hi all

Yes Alison McVea will steer you right, I know her personally and we all own Newfies, If you are in Dublin or close and wanna meet two feel free to PM and say...
    Mine will love the attention and you can see whats involved close up by all means

Irishlass

Advertisement