Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Supremecist Flag in Portmarnock

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Mmm cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭2BFree

It's not as if Portmarnock and Donabate are beside one another!

So it's the flag in Donabate you refer to. That has been flying for years. it gets quite threadbare and is replaced regularly

Well its in some guys garden anyway. Iv only been in the place a few times, so I wouldnt have known its been there so long.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Aye, I'm unaware of any such flag in Portmarnock and I walk down by the beach pretty regularly. It would've stood out like an eye sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

2BFree wrote: »
    I was on the beach quite recently and found it very offensive when I saw it, and quite shocked that someone would fly such a flag. It may aswell be a swastika IMO.

If this is a significant source of offence for you, then I think you have lead a sheltered life.
    it is comparible, to the African american population, with the swastika

I wasn't aware there was a significant African-American populous in Portmarnock (or Donabate for that matter). Nor do I recall any black slavery in Irish history.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

woodseb wrote: »
    you mean the indian peace symbol ? - symbols mean different things to different people.....

+1
    An extremely common symbol that has been erased from history due to its unfortunate use. A good luck symbol before the 1930s. Used by more cultures than not.

• Advertisement

FruitLover wrote: »
    If this is a significant source of offence for you, then I think you have lead a sheltered life.

I wasn't aware there was a significant African-American populous in Portmarnock (or Donabate for that matter). Nor do I recall any black slavery in Irish history.

Why do you need to resort to personal abuse?

I dont watch GAA or have any interest in it. I didnt know it was used for sporting purposes, as with the other people I showed it to.

Yes, being a person of a different ethnic makeup than most irish people, I found it offensive, and when used with political motivation I will continue to find it offensive due to its racist connotations.

Its a flag which orginated from the USA, not in Cork. Would you be saying the same if it were a swastika?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I found it offensive, and when used with political motivation I will continue to find it offensive due to its racist connotations.

Isn't the point most people are making, and you seem to be ignoring, that this flag is most likely not being used with a political motivation? Therefore the offence you are taking is not intended, and you are quite possibly jumping the gun on this one?

If you feel so strongly about it contact the council and see what they can do for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭williambonney

Has anyone seen this flag been flown near the beach? : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Confederate_Navy_Jack.svg

It is being flown on a tall flagpole in a garden right next to the beach, and can be seen in plain view for much of it.

It is the flag of the confederate states of america, the one which was pro-slavery, and is also used also by the KKK, white supremecists and righ-wing neo-nazi's.

In this poll here, most have voted that it is considered racist: http://www.able2know.org/forums/about91423.html

I was on the beach quite recently and found it very offensive when I saw it, and quite shocked that someone would fly such a flag. It may aswell be a swastika IMO.

Has anyone seen it or been offended by it?

Is there anything that could be done?

It’s a good job you were not in Páirc Úi Chaoimh on Sunday, you would have been offended and shocked to your little cotton socks, you poor sensitive soul you.
    Or, you’re a troll having a laugh. Now, that’s more like it.

Isn't the point most people are making, and you seem to be ignoring, that this flag is most likely not being used with a political motivation? Therefore the offence you are taking is not intended, and you are quite possibly jumping the gun on this one?

It has already been concluded that the flag is not being used for political motivation. I have achknowledged that.

I said if it is used for political purposes, then i will take offence. It is not, and I now know the significance of it to sporting fans, and am no longer offended by the particular flag in question.

If not knowing that an otherwise racist flag is used for Cork GAA is 'jumping the gun', then yes, I have. I should watch more GAA in future in that case.
    If you feel so strongly about it contact the council and see what they can do for you.

Well I would have, or wrote into the 'North County Dublin' local papers. Infact i was going to knock up to the house and ask the chap whats with the flag when I saw it.

Luckily I started this thread then aint it.

It’s a good job you were not in Páirc Úi Chaoimh on Sunday, you would have been offended and shocked to your little cotton socks, you poor sensitive soul you.
    Or, you’re a troll having a laugh. Now, that’s more like it.

Why? - because i didnt know Cork GAA fans use it for a flag.

Cork isnt the centre of the world like...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

It has already been concluded that the flag is not being used for political motivation. I have achknowledged that.

I said if it is used for political purposes, then i will take offence. It is not, and I now know the significance of it to sporting fans, and am no longer offended by the particular flag in question.

If not knowing that an otherwise racist flag is used for Cork GAA is 'jumping the gun', then yes, I have. I should watch more GAA in future in that case.

Well then, it's all resolved. You jumped to the wrong conclusion and the good people of boards.ie educated you. Happy days.

Well I would have, or wrote into the 'North County Dublin' local papers. Infact i was going to knock up to the house and ask the chap whats with the flag when I saw it.

Luckily I started this thread then aint it.

Lucky indeed.

Well then, it's all resolved. You jumped to the wrong conclusion and the good people of boards.ie educated you. Happy days.

Indeed. But an understandable conclusion(and mistake) nonetheless?

Even it was being used by someone who is sorry that the south lost the American civil war. So what? The idiot is entitled to his romantic ideas; this is a free country after all. As far as I am aware people can fly whatever flags they like as long as they are not obscene.

Even it was being used by someone who is sorry that the south lost the American civil war. So what? The idiot is entitled to his romantic ideas; this is a free country after all. As far as I am aware people can fly whatever flags they like as long as they are not obscene.

Well thats the point.

If i were offended by a purposeful and public show of racism through the use of a flag, then I would like to know what I could do about it if anything. Be it, planning irregularities for 20ft flag masts in a persons garden. Structures have been demolished for less.

Its illegal to produce and distribute racist material as far as i am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

this flag is all over america to this day and as far as i can tell its not flown with racial intent at all as people have said already it has connotations to being a rebel living free etc etc just coz some racist ****s decide to take pictures with something dosnt mean that object automatically should be taboo as it then relates to racism

Well thats the point.

If i were offended by a purposeful and public show of racism through the use of a flag, then I would like to know what I could do about it if anything. Be it, planning irregularities for 20ft flag masts in a persons garden. Structures have been demolished for less.

Its illegal to produce and distribute racist material as far as i am aware.

If you’re not a troll, you’re having an awful good shot at trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭stink_fist

I keep seeing fecking Swastika painted all over the place, Tallaght, Finglas, Belfast etc. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I'd swear some people go around looking for things to be offended about.

Agreed.

this flag is all over america to this day and as far as i can tell its not flown with racial intent at all as people have said already it has connotations to being a rebel living free etc etc just coz some racist ****s decide to take pictures with something dosnt mean that object automatically should be taboo as it then relates to racism

Well im talking politically. Clearly, and from Dukes image there, it has more uses than what i am saying.
    you’re not a troll, you’re having an awful good shot at trying.

What do you mean?
    I keep seeing fecking Swastika painted all over the place, Tallaght, Finglas, Belfast etc.

People who watch too much discovery channel :)
    Agreed.

No, its just that if someone has a preconcieved idea as to what a flag is being flown for then it can be offensive.

Swastika's are banned and recieve up to 4 years in prison for possession in various nations in europe (germany, Bulgaria). Flags have significance to some people. Im one of them. Sorry for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

3038.jpg

Here's one in Donabate, methinks, or along that way anyway... Quite sure there's enough distance between Donabate and Portmarnock for them to not be the same place... But took this last summer anyway, and have always wondered about it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Not a supremasist flag.

Used by them.. but not created for them.

Similarly like the irish flag was hijacked by terrorists... does not make the flag a terrorist symbol

Thats the one alright.

Its an odd place to fly a Cork GAA flag dont you think :)

Not a supremasist flag.

Used by them.. but not created for them.

Would it be correct to say it is a 'pro-slavery' flag then? seeing as the confederate states were.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

well u were cloase to an hour away from portmarnock if thats the flag you saw :p

Yeah, you could say i lost my bearings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Ah yeah, read through the thread now a bit more, once I was done digging up the photo... Glad it's the same one. I'm useful! Don't really know where I stand in the debate though... I suppose it depends almost entirely what the flag flyer means by it. And I'm not sure which is worse, white supremacist confederates or Cork the rebel county/people's republic twats... :)

Ah yeah, read through the thread now a bit more, once I was done digging up the photo... Glad it's the same one. I'm useful! Don't really know where I stand in the debate though... I suppose it depends almost entirely what the flag flyer means by it. And I'm not sure which is worse, white supremacist confederates or Cork the rebel county/people's republic twats...

Well it was clearly my mistake, but I thinks its an understandable one looking at that 'ranch' :o It certainly dosnt deserve a broken jaw though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Some, especially black Americans, find the Confederate flag to be a symbol of racism. I would imagine in this context it is not meant to be.

It is disgusting to see some American nazi's using the old rish flag of the yellow harp on a green background with the words ERIN GO Brath as a white power flag as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

snyper wrote: »

Similarly like the irish flag was hijacked by terrorists...

There are no Irish terrorist groups that I know of so how can they have hijacked our flag???

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ahahahahahahaahahahahhaahahahahahaahahhahahahahaahhahahahahahahaahahhaahhahahahahaahahahahahahahahhaahahhahaahahahahahahahahaha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement