Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭chriskat

mobius42 wrote: »
    Got to Settings > Mail, Contacts & Calendars > Import SIM contacts

We could really do with an iPhone FAQ or something (this is the third time I've answered this question!):D

Where has everyones tolerance gone? It took you longer to complain about having to answer the question than it did to answer it!! This thread is very big!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Eoin Macollamh

chriskat wrote: »
    Where has everyones tolerance gone? It took you longer to complain about having to answer the question than it did to answer it!! This thread is very big!!

Which is why a FAQ is a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

And it took longer for you to log in and ask this question than it would to look up the answer on google. What's your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

paruss100 wrote: »
    Just noticed there theve updated the prices on the o2 site, the 99.99 a month one is now only 49 euro, the pay as you go ones are still the same price though. Can anyone remember how much they were before?

It was always that price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

paruss100 wrote: »
    Just noticed there theve updated the prices on the o2 site, the 99.99 a month one is now only 49 euro, the pay as you go ones are still the same price though. Can anyone remember how much they were before?

The prices haven't changed for ages AFAIK.

• Advertisement

And it took longer for you to log in and ask this question than it would to look up the answer on google. What's your point?

1. If you tick the little box that says (remember me) it saves you having to log in every time you have something to say! Imagine that!!
    2. The question I asked was "where everyones tolerance was gone" and It wouldn't matter how long I spent on google I don't think I would find that answer!!!!!!
    As for my point, it was that you answered the question and then moaned about having tobut maybe it was that I couldn't see the gun being held to your head forcing you to answer a question that was posted by someone who is probably just like everyone here was at one point or another and just needed a little advice without having to trawl through every one of these pages. Please let us know when you set up that FAQ

I wasn't moaning about answering your question.:confused: I was just confused at your hostile response and was suggesting that since these questions keep coming up over and over it would be a good idea to write a FAQ. You can help me with it actually. Post a list of the questions you had when you got the iPhone first and we'll collate the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

Is it possible to customise the ringtone on the iphone? Maybe I need an app?

How do i put the phone on silent without switching it off?

TYTY

Is it possible to customise the ringtone on the iphone? Maybe I need an app?

How do i put the phone on silent without switching it off?

TYTY

There's a switch on the side of the phone that turns it silent. It's just above the volume switch. You know when it's in the silent position when you can see an orange dot on the switch.

You can customise the ringtones. On a Mac it's simple, just use Garageband to pick which part of the song you want (max of 40 seconds, I think) and it'll export it to iTunes for you. See here: http://lifehacker.com/software/how-to/create-custom-iphone-ringtones-the-free-and-apple-way-334073.php On Windows, either visit http://iringer.net/ or use these instructions I got off lifehacker.com:
    1. Start iTunes and find the [DRM-free] song you want to convert to a ringtone. Right-click on it and select the Get Info option.
      itunes ringtone get info.png
    2. On the Options tab locate the Start Time and End Time options. This is where you want to specify the portion of the song you wanted converted into a ringtone. Check both of the boxes, and make sure your ringtone is under 30-seconds. Press OK when finished.
      itunes ringtone time.png
    3. Right-click on the song you just modified, and choose the Convert to AAC option. If you don’t see this in the context menu navigate to Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Importing, and make sure the AAC Encoder is selected in the Import Using menu.
      itunes ringtone aac.png
    4. Once the song has finished being converted to the new format it will appear in your music list, and the “Time” should reflect the correct duration of the ringtone (which should be less than 30-seconds). Now navigate to your iTunes music folder to find the converted song. Here’s an example of where my Green Day ringtone was located:
      itunes ringtone folder.png
    5. Make sure you’re able to see the file’s extension (.M4A) like in the screenshot above. If you don’t see the extension go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View (Organize -> Folder and Search Options on Vista), and uncheck the Hide extensions for known file types box. Then click OK.
    6. Copy the music file (with the .M4A extension) to your desktop. Once you’ve done that rename the file’s extension to .M4R which will make iTunes recognize it as a ringtone. Make sure there are no symbols (underscores, hyphens, etc…) in the file name.
      itunes ringtone m4r.png
    7. In iTunes go to File -> Add File to Library, and then browse for the file from step 6. Once you’ve selected it press the Open button. iTunes will place the ringtone in the respective section in your library:
      itunes ringtone library.png
    8. Sync your iPhone with iTunes and your newly created ringtone should get transferred over. If it doesn’t be sure to check the Ringtones tab in the iPhone configuration section of iTunes to verify that it is setup to sync your ringtones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭zoos

Thanks for the reply Mobius.

Another question if anyone knows. When I am at home with my iPhone, how come it doesn't seem to pick up the wireless in my house even though it is there as my laptop is connected to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

zoos wrote: »

Another question if anyone knows. When I am at home with my iPhone, how come it doesn't seem to pick up the wireless in my house even though it is there as my laptop is connected to it.

You'll have to connect to it. I had difficulty getting an itouch and iphone on to my wireless network.

read here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055444990

in the end, having found it, connected it, etc, it still didn't work. Ultimately refreshing the weather widget asked me to re-enter the password, and it's worked since.

Anyone had difficulty with the SMS settings? Can't get messages in or out of the phone. Bought off the shelf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭zoos

My internet has no password but it is asking for one.
    Where do i put the IP address or do I have to input it?

Sorry for the questions. I'm completely lost!

I wasn't moaning about answering your question.:confused: I was just confused at your hostile response and was suggesting that since these questions keep coming up over and over it would be a good idea to write a FAQ. You can help me with it actually. Post a list of the questions you had when you got the iPhone first and we'll collate the answers.

I don't think I was being hostile, and I didn't ask the question I was responding to your answer to someone elses question and since I've owned an iPhone for nearly two years I don't need many questions answered I will help with a FAQ though!

zoos wrote: »

Try going into your settings, go into wifi settings and see if your phone can see your wifi, if it does you may have to allow the phone to connect to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I don't think I was being hostile, and I didn't ask the question I was responding to your answer to someone elses question and since I've owned an iPhone for nearly two years I don't need many questions answered I will help with a FAQ though!

You came across as a hostile pedant, I'm amazed you were tolerated in any sense..... Surely there are other places you could to and post that type of crap? - Please go check ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Lads, I doubt anyone will have an answer but it's worth a shot anyway. Anyone familiar with twitterific (twitter iPhone app) knows the bird chirping noise that comes when there's an update to your timeline... well, I've been searching high & low but can't find the sound. I want it as a ringtone on my iPhone for texts... has ANYONE got a clue if I can pull it from the app through some sort of free SDK or just download it anywhere?

Raiser wrote: »
    You came across as a hostile pedant, I'm amazed you were tolerated in any sense..... Surely there are other places you could to and post that type of crap? - Please go check ;)

You should sit down some day and listen to the story about this pot that called a kettle black!! I don't think I was half as hostile as you've just been

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Aelun

Guys, im a little unsure about this, so i said i'd try here..
    If i buy a Prepay 3G Iphone up the north, can i then just put in my O2 Irl prepay sim and have everything working as normal?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Aelun

How come?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

because its locked to O2UK. but never fear, Somewhere on this forum there is loads of threads about how to unlock it easily using a program called yellowsn0w. do a little looking around.

Lads, I doubt anyone will have an answer but it's worth a shot anyway. Anyone familiar with twitterific (twitter iPhone app) knows the bird chirping noise that comes when there's an update to your timeline... well, I've been searching high & low but can't find the sound. I want it as a ringtone on my iPhone for texts... has ANYONE got a clue if I can pull it from the app through some sort of free SDK or just download it anywhere?

The mac version of twitteriffic uses the same tone, I think. I was able to extract it and I've attached it here. It's an aiff file, so you might have to convert it. If it's not the right one, get back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

So im finally willing to make the big splash and get an iPhone. Of course having read about o2 and their ridiculous price plan, i think of getting it unlocked. Probably the 8gb one

To be honest i dont know a whole lot about phones unlocked, where would people advise i get it from (ebay etc) and is it as simple as popping your sim in and using it on any network? Im sure your patience is running short as im sure this has been asked before lol

Any help would be grateful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59327682&postcount=2

check out my app at www.jellysms.com for free texts after you pick one up!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

Well Corholio you may want to hang on a little longer.... there's rumors thats theres a new version of the iphone comming out towards the end of the year ..... ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eccentric Toast

Do not buy an iPhone up north yellowsnow will NOT work on any new iPhone 3Gs for they all come with firmware v2.2.1 with a Baseband of 2.30.03 which yellowsnow has not yet exploited and might not be for some time estimate is june for the 3.0 OS and .04 baseband that is coming out

There is one other way called rebel sim but its not 100% reliable i got one but it never worked from the get go and my friend got one and it worked for a week or two and then died and he now can not use his phone cause he bought it up north i lucky was willing to pay the extra to get the 16Gb here.

If anyone needs any info on anything iPhone related hit me up

i apologize for my grammer i like to rush if anything is unclear let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭JohnOwonga

Do not buy an iPhone up north yellowsnow will NOT work on any new iPhone 3Gs for they all come with firmware v2.2.1 with a Baseband of 2.30.03 which yellowsnow has not yet exploited and might not be for some time estimate is june for the 3.0 OS and .04 baseband that is coming out

There is one other way called rebel sim but its not 100% reliable i got one but it never worked from the get go and my friend got one and it worked for a week or two and then died and he now can not use his phone cause he bought it up north i lucky was willing to pay the extra to get the 16Gb here.

If anyone needs any info on anything iPhone related hit me up

i apologize for my grammer i like to rush if anything is unclear let me know
    >>>>

I wrote faxed emailed and telephone Meteor 3G Network 7 timesabout the Nokia E51 I wanted to make sure it would work with www.truphone.com
    www.skype.com and www.fring.com VOIP I got no response whatsoever:)

If you unlock you phone you invalidate the warranty.

Do any Irish Networks block VOIP or using WiFi in places with free wifi like some Mc Donalds Fastfood or at home with home broadband around the house.

You can have your phone unlocked from €20 to €35 euros see add in back of Buy & Sell it depends how difficult it is to do.

Regards,

John

The thing is about the iphone is that it can be restored to the official firmware no matter what thanks to DFU mode although any hardware hacks and your warrenty is then officially voided but any soft hacks can be restored before sending it back to apple.

Im not too familiar with voip on the iphone for i dont use it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Lads, apologies if this question has come up about 100 times, but this thread is far too large to read fully! Basically, my old man has an O2 upgrade due, and said he'd just sign an iphone 3G contract and give me the phone if I want.

I'm on meteor, so obviously I'll have to unlock the phone. I reside in Cork, and apparently there is meteor 3G coverage here, but will my unlocked iphone be compatible with this? What problems will I be likely to encounter by unlocking the O2 iphone and using it on a meteor network? I'm not THAT pushed about 3G, as I'll have constant wifi access in college and at home.

Thanks for taking the time to read and offer advice, it's much appreciated.

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »
    Lads, apologies if this question has come up about 100 times, but this thread is far too large to read fully! Basically, my old man has an O2 upgrade due, and said he'd just sign an iphone 3G contract and give me the phone if I want.

I'm on meteor, so obviously I'll have to unlock the phone. I reside in Cork, and apparently there is meteor 3G coverage here, but will my unlocked iphone be compatible with this? What problems will I be likely to encounter by unlocking the O2 iphone and using it on a meteor network? I'm not THAT pushed about 3G, as I'll have constant wifi access in college and at home.

Thanks for taking the time to read and offer advice, it's much appreciated.

There will be several problems, you will have to invest in a rebel sim card for now which will set you back atleast 20 euro they are also not 100% reliable and your coverage might drop sometimes until a soft hack comes out but wont be for awhile then there will be no need for the rebel sim

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement