Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in estates without driveways

Options
  • 09-06-2008 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

When living in an estate where houses don't have actual parking spaces "officially" assigned to a property is it just common courtesy stopping people parking their dirtboxes outside your house or is there some kind of obligation to take their hen-houses to their own place?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Diceicle wrote: »
    When living in an estate where houses don't have actual parking spaces "officially" assigned to a property is it just common courtesy stopping people parking their dirtboxes outside your house or is there some kind of obligation to take their hen-houses to their own place?

I think all you can do is hit them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

If it is a public road anybody can park in any legal parking place. No-one has a right to the space on the public road outside their house. Some people put barriers out on th road but these have no legal meaning. Scraping cars and damaging aerials and wing mirrors are some tactics engaged in to persuade people to find an alternative parking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I was thinking it was just common courtesy. I know if it was me parking a car I wouldnt leave it outside someone elses house on anything like a regular basis without an "oK" from the resident. On the subject of getting rid of an offending motor, there's always the option of leaving a note......scraped into the paintwork.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If the parking is on a public road- anyone at all has the exact same right as you have to park there. If its in a private estate- then any member of that private estate has the same right as you have to park wheresoever they choose. If you scrape or damage their car, and are caught doing so, you will be civilly liable to make good any damage caused and compensate them (typically by means of repairing the damage where they choose + 10% extra).

Unfortunately its a fact of modern living that if you need to use a car, you need to ensure that your car has somewhere for you to park it- just as surely as you need a roof over your own head........

Its not common courtesy unfortunately- unlike what you might like to believe. It might have been a common courtesy to allow people to park outside their own houses 30 years ago- its a dog-eat-dog world..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

They might consider what most of the numpties on my estate should have done: don't buy a house in the full knowledge that there is no driveway and then whine about not having dibs on the road outside your house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

nope not common courtesy, i live on a road with only roadside parking as an option and its a free for all. its the only fair way really, you cant expect it any other way. Sure if everyone on the road had your attitude there would be boxing fights every day of the week. get over it.

I was thinking it was just common courtesy. I know if it was me parking a car I wouldnt leave it outside someone elses house on anything like a regular basis without an "oK" from the resident. On the subject of getting rid of an offending motor, there's always the option of leaving a note......scraped into the paintwork.

except that they know where you live and will scrape your car back on a regular basis :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭smartypants

are you a bitter begruding aul 65 year old?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Free parking is just that. I've lived on busy roads where it was free and it's first come first served. I used to work late nights and often came home to no spaces but thems the breaks as they say.

I know someone who had their car vandalised by a vigilante group of residents and it really is the lowest of the low behaviour.

In most cases around Dublin where parking is free it's because the residents have been consulted with by DCC and voted against meters. I know the two places I lived in went through this process.

except that they know where you live and will scrape your car back on a regular basis :)

:)

If I caught a neighbour scraping my car, I'd be doing a little bit more than scraping theirs back.

People get so heated up about this in my estate, it's laughable. It's like going into a car park and arbitrarily claiming a space because it's near your favourite shop. Unless there is agreed designated parking, you have zero right to claim a parking space for yourself.

As for designated parking, most have opposed it for our estate because we feel that it actually causes more fights than it solves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

stovelid wrote: »
    As for designated parking, most have opposed it for our estate because we feel that it actually causes more fights than it solves.
    Indeed. I suspect that this is mainly because when it's first come, first served, people accept that **** happens and if you don't get a space near your house, then tough ****.
    If people are actually told, "This is your space", then anyone else parking there is only going to create tension.

Personally, I couldn't care less if my car is parked 5 or 50 metres from my front door. The only thing that annoys me is idiots taking up two spaces to protect their cars. I make a point of parking on the driver's side and hugging tightly to their car.

seamus wrote: »
    Personally, I couldn't care less if my car is parked 5 or 50 metres from my front door.

Exactly. Parking outside your house isn't exactly a guarantee that your car is safe.
    seamus wrote: »
    The only thing that annoys me is idiots taking up two spaces to protect their cars. I make a point of parking on the driver's side and hugging tightly to their car.

We (our management company) are on the verge of hiring a private clamping company because of the sheer amount of muppetry that people resort to because they need want to park right outside their houses: double parking, blocking emergency access, parking across two spaces etc

The spaces directly outside a row of houses should only be parked in by people from the aformentioned row. Whether they are officially marked as Number 2, 3, 4 etc is irrelevent. Its only good manners not to park your 1991 sh1t heap in front of someone elses place. Now if house 2 occasionally parks in house 4's "space" so what, but if someone not even from that part of the estate starts parking there then yeah I think its kind of rude of them. I dont condone damaging cars (should have stuck a smiley or something in there for some of you I guess. :rolleyes:) but I can understand. :D

are you a bitter begruding aul 65 year old?

Nope. I'm 28.

The spaces directly outside a row of houses should only be parked in by people from the aformentioned row. Whether they are officially marked as Number 2, 3, 4 etc is irrelevent. Its only good manners not to park your 1991 sh1t heap in front of someone elses place.

In the case of a private estate (with management company), if the spaces are designated to particular houses, then people shouldn't take them.

If the spaces are not designated (or it is public space), then you have as much right to park outside your house as you do to claim rights in a car park or any other public area: that is, none. Zero. Nada.

Good manners in this case equate to your perceived right to control communal property for your own convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

The spaces directly outside a row of houses should only be parked in by people from the aformentioned row. Whether they are officially marked as Number 2, 3, 4 etc is irrelevent. Its only good manners not to park your 1991 sh1t heap in front of someone elses place. Now if house 2 occasionally parks in house 4's "space" so what, but if someone not even from that part of the estate starts parking there then yeah I think its kind of rude of them. I dont condone damaging cars (should have stuck a smiley or something in there for some of you I guess. :rolleyes:) but I can understand. :D

can i park my flash 08 merc? :rolleyes:

I think all you can do is hit them.

I have received a warning form Victor telling me that violence is not the answer.
    Reason:
    Breach of Peace

Violence is not the solution.

Most humble Apologies to anyone who couldnt figure out i wasnt being serious here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Just before my house there is another road to the right with a block of houses. Lately, somebody from there has been parking his car outside my house late in the evening. We have one car, its always in the drive in. However this other person... they've two cars, except they've a horrible gigantic estate car that I guess he cant be bothered to park outside his own house cos his road is so narrow it must be too much for him to do a u turn.... so the lazy B parks it outside mine and walks up to his house. I haven't seen him yet to have a word, which is what I'm planning on doing!

In the case of a private estate (with management company), if the spaces are designated to particular houses, then people shouldn't take them.

If the spaces are not designated (or it is public space), then you have as much right to park outside your house as you do to claim rights in a car park or any other public area: that is, none. Zero. Nada.

Good manners in this case equate to your perceived right to control communal property for your own convenience.

Totally agree. If I were living in an area of Rathmines for example where its on street parking (with a parking disc or whatever) then I think that as the area is a public road with parking areas on it (for want of a better description) its 1st come 1st served so to speak, I'm refering to parking in a management company estate situation as you mentioned.

I'm refering to parking in a management company estate situation as you mentioned.

I live in a similar estate. Unless there is designated parking, the parking areas in a private estate are communal and anybody can park wherever they please; it may as well be public for all the parking rights that it confers.

I suggest that you lobby your management company for designated parking.

The issue here is that people are happy to buy new properties that do not provide private parking, and then act aggrieved when they can't park where they want.

• Advertisement

I live in a similar estate. Unless there is designated parking, the parking areas in a private estate are communal and anybody can park wherever they please; it may as well be public for all the parking rights that it confers.

I suggest that you lobby your management company for designated parking.

The issue here is that people are happy to buy new properties that do not provide private parking, and then act aggrieved when they can't park where they want.

Its not like I have a problem with next door parking in the designated spaces outside the property its people not even from the same row of houses that irks me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

When I bought my house (in a Managed estate) the contracts stated that the house came with 2 parking spaces... HOWEVER (and I only realised this after lengthy discussions with our joke of a management company) those 2 spaces are not necessarily outside my house. I have 2 parking spaces in any of the 700 spaces that are in the estate so in theory I can drive over to the far side of the estate and park outsite Mr Joe Bloggs house and there is nothing he can do cos if the space is free at that time I can take it as one of my 2 parking spaces.

It would have made more sense for the management company to just allow us to number the parking spaces but apparantly we cant do that.

Thanks god we are getting rid of the management company out of the houses (only apartments from August) as they have been nothing but hassle.

gazzer wrote: »

It would have made more sense for the management company to just allow us to number the parking spaces but apparantly we cant do that.

Thanks god we are getting rid of the management company out of the houses (only apartments from August) as they have been nothing but hassle.

Believe me, I've seen what can happen in some estates where parking is numbered (designated). If you think people lose it re: people parking in communal spaces: check out what happens when you (and your second motor; and your visitors) actually have a claim on a place. :)

Basically, the whole farrago is down to the fact that so many new homes have no driveways to maximize building space. Parking anywhere except your own front garden is going to cause grief for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Basically, the whole farrago is down to the fact that so many new homes have no driveways to maximize building space.

Definately agree. Next time I buy a house I will make sure there is a driveway in it. When I bought my current house 6 years ago I didnt drive and had no plans to but circumstances changed 3 years ago and it required me getting a a car so next time I buy I would like to have the car where I can see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

gazzer wrote: »
    Basically, the whole farrago is down to the fact that so many new homes have no driveways to maximize building space.

Definately agree. Next time I buy a house I will make sure there is a driveway in it. When I bought my current house 6 years ago I didnt drive and had no plans to but circumstances changed 3 years ago and it required me getting a a car so next time I buy I would like to have the car where I can see it.

I'm in the exact same situation, I bought my place six years ago before
    I was able to drive.The estate agent told us we had two parking spaces
    per house but it's not the case.We have parking bays and no management
    company so its a free for all.It was fine for a couple of years, everybody had a mutual understanding and just parked in front of their own house.Now there is an apartment block around the corner and the people in the block
    are now parking on our road.I know they have a legal right to if they pay their car tax but it is very frustrating coming home with a small baby in the
    car and having to park far away from the house.The most frustrating part about it is,the apartment block have a huge car park in the basement which is always empty.What's even more frustrating for me now is there is a guy who lives even further away parks his big dirty renault van outside my house and then walks back to his place.I wouldn't mind he doesn't even pay car tax as his old renault van is still driving with Polish plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Don't mind communal parking spots on road outside houses but in my area several house nearby have 4/5 cars per house as they are rented out to groups of young professionals. Theres enough space usually but some of the people that park them are completly thoughtless and park far away from kerb into the road when theres plenty of room to drive majority of car's width up onto wide pavement. Then others park directly opposite side of road in similar manner and it makes the road only narrow enough for one standard car and a fire engine/ambulance can't fit through and as its a cul de sac they can't go around other side of road. The big refuse collection trucks and delivery trucks have a terrible time getting to houses the up road some evenings.

Don't mind communal parking spots on road outside houses but in my area several house nearby have 4/5 cars per house as they are rented out to groups of young professionals. Theres enough space usually but some of the people that park them are completly thoughtless and park far away from kerb into the road when theres plenty of room to drive majority of car's width up onto wide pavement. Then others park directly opposite side of road in similar manner and it makes the road only narrow enough for one standard car and a fire engine/ambulance can't fit through and as its a cul de sac they can't go around other side of road. The big refuse collection trucks and delivery trucks have a terrible time getting to houses the up road some evenings.

If it's a private estate with a management company, press the company (perhaps with a motion at the AGM) to hire a clamping company. Makes sense. especially if people are obstructing the emergency services. We are in process of doing this at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Sorry to bring up an old topic.
    As I said in this topic before,there is parking bays in my estate that are not assigned. There is no management company so the parking bays are the responsibility of Fingal County Council. Some guy who doesn't live in our estate has now started parking a very large commercial vehicle that takes over one and half parking spaces.Just wondering does anybody know if he is allowed do this.Here is a picture of the exact vehicle that he parks;

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/132/392284396_540e365bcd.jpg?v=0

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

PWEI wrote: »
    As I said in this topic before,there is parking bays in my estate that are not assigned. There is no management company so the parking bays are the responsibility of Fingal County Council. Some guy who doesn't live in our estate has now started parking a very large commercial vehicle that takes over one and half parking spaces.Just wondering does anybody know if he is allowed do this.Here is a picture of the exact vehicle that he parks;

Providing he has current tax on his vehicle, he has as much right to park in the parking bay as you or any of your neighbours. Unfortunately the fact that its in the estate is irrelevant. Providing he is not blocking access to one of the properties, or to emergency vehicles, unfortunately there is absolutely nothing that you can do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

PWEI wrote: »

Conor O'Neill is the Operations Executive Officer - it's directly his area of reponsibility
    Brendan O'Neill (no Relation) is the CEO

The number is to ring is on this site Give them hell. :D

Advertisement