Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School has not one Irish pupil enrolling this year

Options
  • 07-06-2008 12:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/changing-times-as-school-finds-no-irishborn-pupils-enrolling-1397401.html

But we will just continue on regardless. How many years has it been said now that our whole immigration system is a joke? That we dont actually have one? It would be too politically incorrect to point out the problems this sort of thing will bring in the future. So now we have a Public school in the most populated area in the country with not one Irish pupil enrolling. You know if we actually planned this artificial apparthied we probrably could not do it! Then there is the all African school in Balbriggan. Keep up the good work!

Comments

Article:
    CHANGES in the population were brought into focus yesterday when a Dublin school revealed there isn't a single Irish-born pupil among those enrolled in its infant classes for next year.

The school is in the north inner city, where already nearly half the pupils are minority ethnic and language students, and that percentage is rising.

Figures from eight local schools in the Dublin 7 area show that there are 1,839 pupils enrolled this year -- of whom nearly half, or 855, are minority ethnic and language students.

In one of the schools, 63pc of pupils are from an ethnic minority. Another school with only 292 pupils has 26 minority languages students, while a third with 378 pupils has 25 languages spoken, according to a report launched yesterday.

The report does not identify the school where no Irish have applied for places in September, but says that may change as demand for places increases.

Schools in the report indicated a rise in the number of languages presenting in addition to the increase in overall numbers.

Variety

Increasing variety in the ethnic and national groups applying for education for their children -- and the languages they speak -- is expected to present an ongoing challenge to schools and local communities.

Dublin 7 is identified as an area of educational disadvantage by the report, which took account of literacy, early school leaving, access to education, academic under-achievement and underdevelopment of interpersonal and social skills.

"For minority language students, these are more likely to become significant factors in their educational experience. They have the added disadvantage of potentially poor communication and connectivity between school and home. Such connectivity has been clearly established as a key factor in supporting children to achieve in the school ," according to the evaluation report for a School Cultural Mediation Project.

It adds that the north inner city has a significantly higher than average number of ethnic minority residents, standing at 34pc of the population -- or three times the national average, according to the 2006 Census.

In response to this level of need, an innovative schools project was started by the Dublin Inner City Partnership in conjunction with the North West Inner City Network (with a range of other agencies advising).

This pilot project provided translation and interpretation services to minority language parents in ten schools in the North West Inner City during the past school year.

The evaluation report found that the project "has succeeded in opening channels of communication".

Over the past school year, the project was responsible for translating 75 school policy documents and 250 other documents into languages spoken by parents with a poor command of English. It provided interpretation services at 20 group meetings and at 350 one-to-one parent-teacher meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,181 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Were you asleep when the last three multi-page immigraion threads went by over the last week?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Get over it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

kjt wrote: »
    Get over it!

Ive got a better idea - how about we actually deal with it? Accept that mistakes have been made and try and make sure that schools are diverse and multi ethnic etc etc but actually have Irish children in them as opposed to no Irish children at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Bloody foreigners coming over here taking over our schools:eek:

Id imagine the root of this problem lies somewhat with the parents who are enrolling kids in the first place. I remember seeing a piece on RTE about a month ago that revealed that parents are avoiding schools where the majority of kids are non-national like the plague. Conversely some schools must be avoiding enrolling non-national kids like the plague too for this situation to arise.

I think Hanafin said at the time that they DOE might have to legislate on it in the future....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

You know you'd want to get your facts straight. I work in that school.
    This article is based on a report put forward by a Cultural Mediation group. But of course a conservative, sensationalist paper like the Indo has made a sham of the whole story..

There are actually at least 2 Irish born (of Irish parents) enrolling and most of the other children ARE born in this country (to immigrants parents).

The school is tiny and just over half of children don't have English as a first language but it is flourishing, very inclusive, standards are up, grades are way up, home involvement is improving and school violence/ vandalism is down. These are not "problems", these are improvements brought by these families. It's a privilege working with and meeting these children and their parents.

The area that the children are from just happens to have immigrants in the flats as the government have moved the majority of Irish out and into council houses. Obviously the children will go to the local school. It's the Irish parents that don't want their own to mix with children of different nationalities...

So what if they are foreign? They're kids like any other. Get a grip. Mo náire thú. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fair play to you Lil Kitten, it good to get some first hand comment on an issue like this.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

darkman2 wrote: »
    artificial apparthied
    What the fuk? Who stopped the Irish parents from sending their kids there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

Great post Lil Kitten. Thank you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The irony is, that in many inner-city areas, it is the immigrant children who want to get on and want to succeed at education, so in terms of educational success, the best place to be is in a class of motivated 'foreigners' than a class of home-grown non-achievers looking to blame someone else for their lack of success.

• Advertisement

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    This article is based on a report put forward by a Cultural Mediation group. But of course a conservative, sensationalist paper like the Indo has made a sham of the whole story..

There are actually at least 2 Irish born (of Irish parents) enrolling and most of the other children ARE born in this country (to immigrants parents).

The school is tiny and just over half of children don't have English as a first language but it is flourishing, very inclusive, standards are up, grades are way up, home involvement is improving and school violence/ vandalism is down. These are not "problems", these are improvements brought by these families. It's a privilege working with and meeting these children and their parents.

The area that the children are from just happens to have immigrants in the flats as the government have moved the majority of Irish out and into council houses. Obviously the children will go to the local school. It's the Irish parents that don't want their own to mix with children of different nationalities...

So what if they are foreign? They're kids like any other. Get a grip. Mo náire thú. :mad:

I dont think anyone was criticising your school in fairness. I accept your point about all the good things every school is doing. However saying that 2 Irish pupils enrolling makes it satisfactory - thats not satisfactory. Maybe the Indo was sensationalist and factually incorrect but this is not the only school that this is happening in/has happened in and it wont be the last. Even if the Indo is wrong surely its not inconcievable that there will be no Irish children enrolling next year? I also take the point about parents from another poster. I do think they are intentionally avoiding sending their children to these schools. They have a right to do so of course but in terms of integration there are problems here.

I really don't see the problem. Immigrants come here, they send their children to school. I know you're saying it's reflective of the lack of control on immigration this country has, but it's hardly a negative consequence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

spurious wrote: »
    The irony is, that in many inner-city areas, it is the immigrant children who want to get on and want to succeed at education, so in terms of educational success, the best place to be is in a class of motivated 'foreigners' than a class of home-grown non-achievers looking to blame someone else for their lack of success.

This is an important issue, the shower of Ne'erdowells who are white and witless will turn on "immigrants" as they get left behind by the first generation of Irish children born to immigants. The government/state needs to concentrate them and thier needs/failings as well as in "new Irish"

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

A darkman2 thread is a fine way to start the day. Good post Lil Kitten.

Dudess wrote: »
    I really don't see the problem. Immigrants come here, they send their children to school. I know you're saying it's reflective of the lack of control on immigration this country has, but it's hardly a negative consequence.

I agree this particular school is probrably not a particular problem. Its probrably well mixed aswell. Its schools like the one in Balbriggan no one wants to see in this country. Id be worried other schools might be going the same direction but if thier not thats fine. No problem with that. I just think there should be Irish pupils in every school.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

darkman2 wrote: »
    I dont think anyone was criticising your school in fairness. I accept your point about all the good things every school is doing. However saying that 2 Irish pupils enrolling makes it satisfactory - thats not satisfactory. Maybe the Indo was sensationalist and factually incorrect but this is not the only school that this is happening in/has happened in and it wont be the last. Even if the Indo is wrong surely its not inconcievable that there will be no Irish children enrolling next year? I also take the point about parents from another poster. I do think they are intentionally avoiding sending their children to these schools. They have a right to do so of course but in terms of integration there are problems here.

No offence taken. It doesn't matter if no Irish children enroll next year. Tbh, the Irish kids are much more difficult to teach with the amount of social problem, academic problems and couldn't give a sh*t attitude of the parents. if anything a lot of the Irish children corrupt and are a bad influence on the foreign children that are actually trying to make something of themselves. But that's just my opinion.

The foreign children all mix well with each other and with the Irish children in the school, flats and local area. There's a lot less rivalry and issues than some of the Irish families have with each other....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

At least half of the kids that I went to school with in the UK, had got off the boat at Holyhead. I don't recall one instance of anyone complaining about their arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

No offence taken. It doesn't matter if no Irish children enroll next year. Tbh, the Irish kids are much more difficult to teach with the amount of social problem, academic problems and couldn't give a sh*t attitude of the parents. if anything a lot of the Irish children corrupt and are a bad influence on the foreign children that are actually trying to make something of themselves. But that's just my opinion.

Bit of a nasty opinion to hold especially in your position. If you actually do think that, i'm sure that contempt comes through when you're dealing with the irish kids ,no?
    I'm really happy to see more diversity in Ireland tbh. There are loads and loads of foreign kids in our local gael scoil. Its mad, they have much better Irish than many of us.
    Darkman2 i think you might be getting a bit possessive,its not like they are invading. Its just the way the cookie crumbles. Immigrants come to Ireland, if the are on the dole/social welfare and in council housing they'll probably be all lumped together in flats etc.

What would you prefer, just dont educate immigrant children?? Come on be realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

most of the other children ARE born in this country (to immigrants parents).

Was thinking that'd probably be the case, stupid paper warping things to make a more sensational story.:mad:
    If they're born here they're Irish, regardless of where their parents were from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

RATM wrote: »
    Bloody foreigners coming over here taking over our schools:eek:

Id imagine the root of this problem lies somewhat with the parents who are enrolling kids in the first place. I remember seeing a piece on RTE about a month ago that revealed that parents are avoiding schools where the majority of kids are non-national like the plague. Conversely some schools must be avoiding enrolling non-national kids like the plague too for this situation to arise.

I think Hanafin said at the time that they DOE might have to legislate on it in the future....

Cant blame the parents really.I doubt if id send my girls to a school with that many Non-nationals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

well said! +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Cant blame the parents really.I doubt if id send my girls to a school with that many Non-nationals.

why do you say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

THEY TOOK 'ER JOBS!

sorry, had to do it.

back on topic: I don't really mind the fact that non-nationals are going to the schools, what I do mind is when non-nationals try to exclude Irish people from schools (like was said about the school in Balbriggan) and also, in Balbriggan, there was a hair salon which had a sign on the door "no whites". imagine if an Irish salon tried that with a sign saying "no blacks" the salon would be shut down before you could say "not fair!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

How are we defining 'Irish' here? Bheadh ciall againn...

why do you say that?
    Duh... isn't it obvious? They might catch "foreign" off them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

gixerfixer wrote: »

I can't blame you, seeing how you Irish raise your kids I'm finding it harder and harder to justify sending my daughter to a school with so many Irish. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Sherifu wrote: »
    A darkman2 thread is a fine way to start the day. Good post Lil Kitten.

QFT! Great post Lil Kitten....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

As little kitten said, most of the kids ARE Irish! They were born here, grew up here so they are Irish. The fact their parents might be from another country do not alter the fact they are Irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Good old white flight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The Bollox wrote: »
    in Balbriggan, there was a hair salon which had a sign on the door "no whites". imagine if an Irish salon tried that with a sign saying "no blacks" the salon would be shut down before you could say "not fair!"

Was there really? Seriously? Where in Balbriggan? Anyone got photos of it?

Advertisement