Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming Soon.. Bill Maher: The Movie

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

You do realise how many dumb people we have here in Ireland right?
    Its not just America :eek:

I agree, though the Irish front is all but won. America is the front line.

We are the lizard people! The true Kwisatz Haderach!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Húrin wrote: »
    Actually I find that religious people tend to have more doubt in their beliefs than atheists, who do indeed often hold the scientific method to be inerrant. Even more ridiculous, they often think that science can answer every question. They expect more from science than it can offer. Creationists are the opposite, in that they expect more from religion than it can offer.

Inerrant? Science is all about error! That's what makes it so wonderful.
    If there was evidence to disprove God, then I and most Christians would change our minds. I have talked about such a notion with plenty of people.

We don't quite base our beliefs on nothing as you would like to think. Nor can we claim to base our beliefs on facts that prove them almost for certain. Rather, I see aspects of the universe and of humanity that make me believe that God is more likely to exist than not. This is a form of evidence.

It's the "God is more likely to exist than not" that confuses me. Whenever I ask a Christian about specific aspects of the universe or humanity that reveal God, I get horribly vague replies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

This is the guy on PETA's board isn't he? Hmm. Don't know much about him, must havbe a watch. Supposed to be a good comedian.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i think he is in the peta board, but he's not a complete lunatic.. just a half lunatic.

iirc he things that western medicine is basically a conspiracy against the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

There is now a review thread in the Film forum for anyone interested:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055448092

• Advertisement

iirc he things that western medicine is basically a conspiracy against the public.

He's thinks more along the lines of American people wouldn't be the sickest in the world if they didn't eat so much crap.

Some of his stand-up shows are on youtube and google video. Which I would definitely recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Galvasean wrote: »
    There is now a review thread in the Film forum for anyone interested:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055448092

woot! anyway for anyone that has seen it it i actually think the only religious person to get his point across well was the Jesus dude from The Holy Land Park but even he was a bit crazy! Most, if not all of the rest had their spiels prepared and tried not to deviate from them, especially when Maher threw a left field question. Unfortunately I would have to say one of the dumbest people in this movie was the US Senator, very embarrassing and too caught up with thinking "how would the people i represent want me to answer this question?".

a stat given in the film says
    16% of Americans are unaffiliated with religion, while only something like 12% is black and only about 2% is Jewish - it's madness how they are better represented especially as there is no US Senator or Congressman not affiliated with a religion

anyway worth a watch as i said and tis funny but tbh that wasnt why i wanted to watch it! hope it gets a release here, as its nice that the Atheists of the world are being given some credence.

EDIT: oh and the argument he has over Mahmoud Ahmadinejad talking about Israel is wrong afaik, but it is not necessarily a religious thing and i dont think Maher quite grasps that, i would love to see Israel not on the map too but i dont give a **** if they are Jews or Muslims...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Húrin wrote: »
    If there was evidence to disprove God, then I and most Christians would change our minds.

There is plenty of it. You obviously prefer to live your life ignoring these inconvenient truths. That's fine, but I prefer to face reality rather than stick my head in the sand.

BTW, where did you all see this movie? Wasn't aware it had been released.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I thought it was a decent film. It was entertaining and did pose some simple questions at the religious people. I agree that the dude dressed as jesus answered the questions the best out of all the people.

It is worth watching.

Advertisement