Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ship the bracelet ? gooo Valor

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Great stuff, Gavin. Keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Did I get screwed on this deal?

payouts

BLinds were 4/8k 1k ante with average stack of 160k , 8 players left. blinds 6/12 2k ante in 15 minutes.
    115895 prize pool
    this is how it would be with pure chip split

1 302k 22.4% chips 23885
    2 267 19.8% 21405
    3 151 11.2% 13245
    4 88k 6.5 8810
    5 174k 12.9 14865 ==> me
    6 107k 7.9 10150
    7 151k 13245
    7 109k 10290

We split it 21.5 20 14 10 14.3 [me] 11 14 11

The guy in seat 6 was arguing like hell for a bit more

I think I missed out on a little bit of an ev because I was def the best player left, but I think the happiness factor [or pissed off factor, if i busted 8th for 2620 outweights that]

thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Norwich Fan Rob

wp gavin great result

marty 13th in chips overnight with 41 left in 1500 omaha bracelet game

Regarding the deal, it's impossible to do a proper ICM analysis on it, as there are no calculators which allow you to enter more than 5 payout places. [Although maybe Ozpoker knows of one?] If you could find one, intuition tells me it wouldn't give you a lot more than 14K.

I personally don't think it's a bad deal- you locked up 3rd place prize money with 8 players left, and only 20BBs or so in your stack. Maybe you could have pushed for an extra grand or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Regarding the deal, it's impossible to do a proper ICM analysis on it, as there are no calculators which allow you to enter more than 5 payout places. [Although maybe Ozpoker knows of one?] If you could find one, intuition tells me it wouldn't give you a lot more than 14K.

I personally don't think it's a bad deal- you locked up 3rd place prize money with 8 players left, and only 20BBs or so in your stack. Maybe you could have pushed for an extra grand or two.

GG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

sweet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

valor wrote: »
    Did I get screwed on this deal?

payouts

BLinds were 4/8k 1k ante with average stack of 160k , 8 players left. blinds 6/12 2k ante in 15 minutes.
    115895 prize pool
    this is how it would be with pure chip split

1 302k 22.4% chips 23885
    2 267 19.8% 21405
    3 151 11.2% 13245
    4 88k 6.5 8810
    5 174k 12.9 14865 ==> me
    6 107k 7.9 10150
    7 151k 13245
    7 109k 10290

We split it 21.5 20 14 10 14.3 [me] 11 14 11

The guy in seat 6 was arguing like hell for a bit more

I think I missed out on a little bit of an ev because I was def the best player left, but I think the happiness factor [or pissed off factor, if i busted 8th for 2620 outweights that]

thoughts?

Have you not answered your own question? Chip equity wise you gave up $565. In addition you felt you had an edge over the field.

It certainly sounds like ye had entered crapshoot territory but if you are correctly bankrolled to play these games (which I'm sure you are) then taking the deal was -EV in the long run and an extra 1k should have been argued for. The guy in seat 6 did some good negotiating.

WD on the result in any event and the above is a small thing (but sub optimal nevertheless). I find it is a good idea to have a figure in your head about what your spot is worth before the deal negotiations start and that way you can start the negotiations in the right financial area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭a147pro

valor wrote: »
    I think the happiness factor [or pissed off factor, if i busted 8th for 2620 outweights that]

thoughts?

Results based thinking!

Great work keep it up, gl to all the irish out there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

ollyk is seething with jealousy imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

ollyk is seething with jealousy imo.

I'm going to outgrind you Hayes.........:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

WP Gav,

Not a bad chop although i would have tried to get it down to 5/6 handed and then look at the figures on the other hand 15k is 15k and you would be sick not agreeing to the deal and loosing out on 12k if next out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

Well done Gavin. Like you said, you gotta run well. Nice result.

Connie

ollyk1 wrote: »
    Have you not answered your own question? Chip equity wise you gave up $565. In addition you felt you had an edge over the field.

I never even noticed those percentages. And I found a 9-way payout ICM calculator here.

ICM gives in "Deal | ICM" format:

21.5 | 21.4
    20 | 19.9
    14 | 13.8
    10 | 9.7
    14.3 | 15.1 (Valor)
    11 | 11
    14 | 13.8
    11 | 11.1

So you gave up about $800 in equity, according to ICM. And you actually did worse out of the deal than anyone else. So your instincts were spot on (whereas mine are rusty as hell!).

It's interesting as well how close the deal was to the ICM values. Most people give up loads of equity in these spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Doesnt seem the worst deal in the world, 3rd place money with 8 left is ok.

WP anyway nice touch.

GOGO Marty the man is on fire.

I never even noticed those percentages. And I found a 9-way payout ICM calculator here.

ICM gives in "Deal | ICM" format:

21.5 | 21.4
    20 | 19.9
    14 | 13.8
    10 | 9.7
    14.3 | 15.1 (Valor)
    11 | 11
    14 | 13.8
    11 | 11.1

So you gave up about $800 in equity, according to ICM. And you actually did worse out of the deal than anyone else. So your instincts were spot on (whereas mine are rusty as hell!).

It's interesting as well how close the deal was to the ICM values. Most people give up loads of equity in these spots.

the $800 is probably worth it in money not tilted off from going out next though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭digiman

Very nice results, well played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭HoLLLLLaments

valor is Irelands greatest.

the $800 is probably worth it in money not tilted off from going out next though.

this is exactly why I took it..

ty guys anyway for all the congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Congrats.
    Keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

well done,for a guy with no tournie cashes b4 vegas ur not doin bad;)
    The deal looks good imo crapshoot territory,no point quibbling over a couple of hundred dollars and possibly busting out and tilting for the rest of the month ..wp and keep it up

• Advertisement

Tuesday 10th.

Today I got up and hit the gym and then went for lunch in the Gold Coast buffet which is kinda a dump but I get to load up on fruit into my bag which keeps me energised during the day. I then head over to the Bellagio for their 1080 daily tournament. It gets 10k in chips with 40 minute levels. Structure isnt great, they miss some importanat levels but its OK. Field was very soft, my table had alot of idiots at it.

I dont do much at the start. With alot of idiots, I certainly dont want to be light. The first interesting hand I play is when I make it 150 UTG + 1 with JJ, idiot one calls to my left and idiot 2 makes it 750 beside him. The 3 bettor has been limping alot and I'm planning on folding but then the BB, a young Chinese guy, cold calls. I Guess 4 ways to flop with 10k stacks I can profitably play so I call. other guy overcalls. Flop comes 876 fd and it checks thru. Turn is a 4o and it checks thru. river 4o and I vbet 1/3 pot and take it down.

I make a kind of bad river call when I raise A7s and get 4 ways to AJ5 rainbow. flop checks thru and on turn 3 giving me a fd I bet 2/3. River is an offsuit Q and I check and guy 1/2 pots it. I have 2 of the draw cards and that bet doesn't look like a bluff and I dont beat any vbet hand, but I paid it off vs AJ anyway. Sigh. One bad call I made all tournament

I raise J1oo in the HJ and both blinds call. The SB check calls on KQx rainbow but check folds the turn when I barrel it. I call a raise with AQo vs the old guy to my direct right and he check folds AQ9 flush draw flashing me KK. damnit.

We then have a ridiculous situation on my table where the old guy on my right gets it all in pre vs some v fat guy and he wins. However the way the action went, fat guy raised and the old guy shoved 2k more. The dealer only dragged the initial raise into the pot and pushed that. During the next hand the old guy realises he got shorted and all hell broke lose. The dealer was some Asian who couldnt speak English probably so we spent like 10 minutes arguiinig over the thing, and the fat guy knew damn well he had shorted the pot but just kept saying I cant remember. It was ****ing 5 seconds ago fatso, stop lying thru your beer belly. Eventually floor rules that becuase action had occured [another hand] nothing can happen. Old guy grumbles about it for ages though.

By this stage blinds are 200/400 25 and I have only around 11k left so I start shoving over LP opens. I build to 15k or so in this fashion before the following hand comes up. Villain just got moved to our table and is young and has a ton of chips, I'd guess 80 or 90 already. I open to 1500 with 88 at 300/600 50, not planning on folding unless something special happens. Guy to my left who is cally pre calls and SB calls. BB then who is villain thinks a while and makes it 6k. I'm pretty sure he is squeezing and Jam it in. He calls with the A2 of spades. Flop is v scary 8 9 J with 2 spades, giving me the set but him the draw. I hold however, bringing me up to 33k or so.

I then go straight up to 60k like this : guy to my direct right was v short and talked about wanting to go h ome but then he built back up to 25k or so but he is still spewing alot and moving chip.s He opens to 2k at 3/6/50 in Co and I make it 6100 on BU with 1010. he shoves with AJ and I hold.

Our table then breaks and I'm immediately involved at my new table. Guy who was on my left at my original table and had showdown alot of Ace rags as the PFR raises in UTG + 1, I and 2 to his right with AKs. I 3 bet from 1800 to 5400 and it folds to Asian girl in the SB. She thinks a while and cold calls with 30k behind. ALARM BELLS. Guy folds and HU to flop. j52 fd. she checks. I have absolutely no intention of ever putting moeny in UI and check back. Turn is low blank and she fires 7.5k and I muck

I win a decent pot whenI overlimp after the same girl limps UTG. Limp was for 800. BU who has 40k makes it 3200 and she calls. I kinda feel priced in to call with the QJs, planing to c/shove a draw because I think BU may be light here. Flop comes K104 rainbow. i plan to crai but guy checks back. Turn 9 bd fd. Girl leaks 5k into 11k or so, I make it 13k to set up the perfect river shove but they both fold.

I open JJ utg + 1 and old guy to my direct left 3 bets from my 2100 [at 4/8] to 7000. Short stack calls all in for 5k and I Fold, I think his range here is super super tight and he had 40k or so left behind. he has the AA so gg me.

I get re raised off some opens and dont cbet some bad flops multiway to stack down a little bit. I then get moved table and stack up a bit twice in quick succession with AKs. First guy opens MP and I 3 ebt and he insta mucks.

Then HJ opens to 4k at 6/12 and guy next with big stack 3 bets to 14k. Folds to my SB and I shove 45k with AKcc. They both insta fold. We are now near the bubble of this thing which takes absolutely ages to burst, like 80 mins for 19th to go out with 18 paid. Eventually it burts and with 1.3k for 18th and 2k for 10th, I'm planning to move alot of chips now.

Blinds are now 2/4 with a 500 ante so pot is huge preflop and I start open shoving my ~50k or so alot. I have a read on one big stack that he raises huge pre with big hands. He raises to 2.5x and I reshove 69o and he folds. I double with AQ when I shove my button for the 4th time in a row and the SB calls off 60% of his stack with 66 and I spike a Q. I then double thru again when on the last hand before break I open QQ to 10.5k at 2/4 500 and the BU who is def spewy and loose 3 bets to 30. I shove it in for 95k total and he calls AJ. I hit a Q on the flop to seal the deal.

Thats basically the end of the hand histories, I fold around for a long time until we are 8 handed at the final table and we split it up. I got 14300 which is a little less tha nmy chip ev and certainly less than my true ev given I am much better than the field, BUT, I think the sadness factor that would ensue if I went out 8th for 2500 would tilt me for days, and locking up this win which lets me freeroll a bunch of events and gives me my first decent tourney cash brings me happiness and a better Hendon Mob profile. So overall I'm pleased with it. I'm also very pleased with how I played, I had long periods of no cards and I dealt very well with such, not getting frustrated even when somewhat short. I also felet I played near perfect poker which is a nice feeling.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

How are you faring out with the ITIN tax thing valor?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

WP Gav. Get the fook in. Keep it going!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

gg. wp sir, nice report. Best of luck, keep it rolling.

The hendom mob database is V important too, perhaps send in a "stock photo" that you choose yourself to bring out your best qualities.

5starpool wrote: »
    How are you faring out with the ITIN tax thing valor?

fine, Bellagio just took my details and address and applied for it for me which was no trouble at all and they paid the full amount out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

wp gavino keep it up, bang a hooker for ur efforts..

a-k-47 wrote: »
    wp gavino keep it up, bang a hooker for ur efforts..

no call out's though imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mistabutta

The hendom mob database is V important too, perhaps send in a "stock photo" that you choose yourself to bring out your best qualities.

yep true.. also send in a bio of your past accomplishments..it doesn't even have to do with poker it seems!!!..just things you've won in the past etc..art/spelling/running./interior decorating comps and then set up your own wikipedia page using the hendon mob database as your link and now your famous basically!!??!!! and everybody will know how great you are..well at least you'll think that*

wp though your doing great over there

*not directed at you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bops

nice work valor gl with the next few

Advertisement