Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any such thing as a non-hairdresserish convertible?

Options
  • 05-06-2008 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

With the nice weather around I'd say convertible sales have gone through the roof (pardon the pun). I'm just wondering if there are any (small) convertibles that a man can drive without people questioning their sexual orientation. (BTW I'm not being sexist, just curious)
    I'll start the ball rolling with Honda S2000, any other suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Slig wrote: »
    With the nice weather around I'd say convertible sales have gone through the roof (pardon the pun). I'm just wondering if there are any (small) convertibles that a man can drive without people questioning their sexual orientation. (BTW I'm not being sexist, just curious)
    I'll start the ball rolling with Honda S2000, any other suggestions?

I'd have to swing towards the S2000 myself. Seems to be the only mans man cabrio on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

To be fair, who gives a ****e how people judge your sexuality based on a choice of car, they can FO to be honest. Pick something you like, that's all that really matters no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Mena wrote: »
    To be fair, who gives a ****e how people judge your sexuality based on a choice of car, they can FO to be honest. Pick something you like, that's all that really matters no?

I bet you buy cars based on colour !! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

true but if practicality came before looks we'd all be driving Multiplas:D (according to J Clarkson)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

KTRIC wrote: »
    I bet you buy cars based on colour !! :rolleyes:

How do you figure that? I have a preference for certain colours but that has nothing to do with the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Call me what you want in this bad boy: http://www.jeremycopp.org/images/GallardoSpyderFront.JPG

<3

cormie wrote: »
    Call me what you want in this bad boy: http://www.jeremycopp.org/images/GallardoSpyderFront.JPG

<3

Yup that would do it alright, unfortunately it would need a roof as once you sell your house to buy one youll need somewhere else to live:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Do you really buy cars in order to reaffirm your sexuality ?

And why does everyone in this country think a car has to say something about them ?

Can't a person drive a car because its nice to own, drive and they like the look of it rather than what it tells the Joneses about them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

enough Testosterone in this one for you?

mercedes.jpg

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Can't a person drive a car because its nice to own, drive and they like the look of it rather than what it tells the Joneses about them ?

I've always had a thing for lambos, ever since I saw my cousins model lambo when I was about 5, I've always loved them. I'm not into cars at all and certainly wasn't when I was 5. I can appreciate the look of "nice" cars, but I wouldn't be bothered with them, next car I buy will probably be a lambo, until then, the van is fine :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

true but if practicality came before looks we'd all be driving Multiplas:D (according to J Clarkson)
    Funny you should say that, there's a Multipla on display in the Museum of Modern Art in New York.;)

@ Mena - Couldn't agree more.

@ Slig - How about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Monsoon26

Yeah, who gives monkeys what people think anyway !
    Be your own man, thats what I say !!
    I'm happy out with my saab convertible - shes 205 bhp, so fairly moves !!

And why does everyone in this country think a car has to say something about them ?

unfortunately thats the culture that we are in. A big thing I see everyday in my job is people wanting a new house that absolutely HAS to have a big entrance hallway with a stairs, even if it takes room off the living rooms. These Hallways are a waste of space and money and are only put in so that they impress visitors.
    I dont know anybody that would willingly drive a car that makes them look poor or stupid. Irish people just got used to buying what they want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Lotus Elise is a guy's car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

You could get away with a Z4, not a hope in a Z3 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Whilst I agree with you in principle on that one Rob, if you drove around in a Micra convertible even the steeliest of the I don't care what anyone else thinks brigade would get fed up being laughed at in the traffic, I had a convertible 320Ci a few years ago, no matter what way you look at it you are a lot more exposed to the elements and pedestrians, and convertibles good or bad attract a fair bit on attention and lots of comments, being in Ireland usually snide and bitter, but comments none the less, so for a bloke it would be wise to choose a masculine-ish convertible, and as the OP stated the S2000 is a very good starting place, 3 series aint bad, but it has to have a 6 cylinder, A4's are (IMO) driven by women only, Saab's are nice looking convertibles, Porsches I would guess get mixed feedback (as I said like it or not it's inevitable), and every one will drool over supercar convertibles.

Merc SL's are nice too best of both worlds (newer ones anyway) stay away from the French CC's they are attrocious. I'd also stay away from SLK's and Z3/4's

unfortunately thats the culture that we are in. A big thing I see everyday in my job is people wanting a new house that absolutely HAS to have a big entrance hallway with a stairs, even if it takes room off the living rooms. These Hallways are a waste of space and money and are only put in so that they impress visitors.
    I dont know anybody that would willingly drive a car that makes them look poor or stupid. Irish people just got used to buying what they want

I disagree, when I arrive to a house with a big sofa in my van, nothing worse than seeing a tiny door :p

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭onemanband

What about the new M3 Convertible with the double clutch? Has anyone any information to provide on this beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Victor_M wrote: »
    Whilst I agree with you in principle on that one Rob, if you drove around in a Micra convertible even the steeliest of the I don't care what anyone else thinks brigade would get fed up being laughed at in the traffic, I had a convertible 320Ci a few years ago, no matter what way you look at it you are a lot more exposed to the elements and pedestrians, and convertibles good or bad attract a fair bit on attention and lots of comments, being in Ireland usually snide and bitter, but comments none the less, so for a bloke it would be wise to choose a masculine-ish convertible, and as the OP stated the S2000 is a very good starting place, 3 series aint bad, but it has to have a 6 cylinder, A4's are (IMO) driven by women only, Saab's are nice looking convertibles, Porsches I would guess get mixed feedback (as I said like it or not it's inevitable), and every one will drool over supercar convertibles.

Merc SL's are nice too best of both worlds (newer ones anyway) stay away from the French CC's they are attrocious. I'd also stay away from SLK's and Z3/4's

I take your point - but I would say a micra CC or whatever just shows pretty poor taste but there is no doubt that some cars are aimed towards women drivers but just because you drive an open top car doesn't make you a woofter does it ?

Victor_M wrote: »
    no matter what way you look at it you are a lot more exposed to the elements and pedestrians, and convertibles good or bad attract a fair bit on attention and lots of comments, being in Ireland usually snide and bitter, but comments none the less, so for a bloke it would be wise to choose a masculine-ish convertible
    To be quite honest, if other peoples comments bother you then you're f***ed either way in a convertible. The best advice for those sensitive types would be not to buy one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

This is pretty tough looking, not really a 'small convertible' tho:

6904267657410200311856PM.JPG

or this boxster S with a GT bodykit:

media?id=714978233

I don't think the Boxster is girly, has to be an 'S' though. My friend has just got one and he says he wishes he had it when he was single:cool:.

Remember that scene in the Sopranos where Ralph describes the Boxster as a 'Porsche with panties'?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I am surprised that nobody has yet suggested the MX-5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

s2000 definatly, and a mark II mr2 turbo (not completely convertable but they are lovely)!!

fletch wrote: »

ya but if I'm interrested in what people think of me I'm hardly gonna buy a beemer:D

Ferris wrote: »
    This is pretty tough looking, not really a 'small convertible' tho:

6904267657410200311856PM.JPG

What is this? an early 90's SL?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Its the w129 SL, 1990-2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭rx8

Spotted a Chrysler Crossfire convertible yesterday.Don't know if they are still available though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

If you're really worried about what people think:confused::confused::confused:

Drive what you want to drive for goodness sake, if you need other people's opinions to get that feel good factor well, you've just bought the wrong car..

Advertisement